Poll: The Elder Scrolls VI: what do you want?

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
SajuukKhar said:
Feylynn said:
First they took flight, then they took jumping.
They took away levitation because
1. It served no gameplay purpose.
2. Cities were put in thier own cells, so flying over them would look dumb.
3. The game became scripted, and flying, along with teleprotation, would break many of the game's dungeons, and scripted events.

Also, you can still jump in Skyrim, quite far if you get a running jump.
Actually, levitation did serve a purpose in Morrowind. There are quite a few locations in dungeons that can only be reached by levitating.

Also, it's good for getting around the nightmare of tedious level design that is Vivec.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Politeia said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
TheLastFeeder said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Stop making characters essential. When I go on my little crime waves half the population shouldn't be invincible.
So having the same system as Morrowind?
If you kill an essential character, there just pops up a message that says:

"With this character's death, the thread of prophecy is severed.
Restore a saved game to restore the weave of fate,
or persist in the doomed world you have created."
Yes. If you want to account for radiant events, make them flee into their homes instead of punching the dragon that is attacking the village.
IMO, it'd work better to allow players who want that feature to opt-in for it. Such as having a hardcore mode.
Just put it in the option menu. So when I want to let off some steam, I can turn it off and have some fun. We all want to do this sometimes:

Hugh Wright

Apr 2, 2010
SajuukKhar & Politeia play nice or I'm sending you both to bed with no sweetrolls. While I agree that all 17 plus Khajiit species is highly optimisitic if they keep the engine (and don't spend a lot of time upgrading it) the chances of a few more subspecies increases. Also if the set the next game in Valenwood they can introduce a few, making the game after more likely to have more as they already have some done. Either that or contrive a story reason to reduce the numbers of subspecies to a more manageable number

King of Wei said:
4: Tougher riddles in tombs. Don't gotta be overly complex but putting the combination right next to the door you want sealed isn't very effective. Then again Skyrim's tombs were built by Nords, so that may actually be lore friendly.
In one of the in game books it states that the tomb doors are locked not to keep people out, but the undead in hence why they are so simple.

Krinkle Ymouse said:
Smeggs said:
Maybe a nice middle ground would be to have essential characters re-spawn after 7 days?
Good idea, have essentials sent to a healing hall to get better, maybe anyone you didn't kill (so a dragon attack on riverwood doesn't empty the village apart from the kids and that one chicken.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Morrowind. Make it like that, the story, the choices or armour and weapon choice, the variety of landscape and culture. Actually i want Morrowind+. I want the stats to matter for guilds. No "i have one spell yet become grandmaster" nope, i want the guilds linked to the skills you use. I know you can CHOOSE to go magic or thief. But make the game limit you, you know, because its meant to be a real world and thus the wizards guild wouldnt allow a dumb ass with one spell to rule them. :)

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
tilmoph said:
Shouldn't she have taken one look and decided "Nope, no way, not a chance of Wolfboy the Slaughter-Prophet becoming a damn Nightingale. He can pretty much sort shit out on his own just fine."
the thing about ES game heroes is that they are above destiny, you may have sold your soul 6 times beforehand, but there is still a chance for someone else to take it, or not have it take at all.

Essentially, the Daedra are willing to fight each other over your soul, because its so tasty.
I'd honestly prefer if they didn't do this, even if it makes sense in the lore. Pledging oneself to a cause shouldn't be so cheap that you can do it ten times over with no negative repercussions. Especially if it involves offering your soul.

Really, I just want to be a normal guy in TES VI. No dragonborn, destiny or Nerevarine stuff. Just to be random adventurer doing what I do. But no, I've got to "save the world" again... That's what's wrong with TES' main quests. Everything else in the game is about wandering the land, just happening upon interesting things and exploring, but the main quest is just a generic "The world is in danger", "Oh, no, I better do X so I can kill X and then save the world". Actually, not having a main quest at all might be a good idea. Guilds generally are more expansive and interesting than the main quest anyway and could easily take its place.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Well, first and foremost, combat overhaul. Even if it is just a copy of something like Dark Souls, combat needs to be better. I think the idea of Dark Souls style of combat is where the game is headed to begin with (stamina bar and all that), and the idea of fights being threatening in one on one encounters let alone when friends get involved would be amazing. Various sorts of swings based on how you swing, using heavy and light attacks, switching from one to two hands on the fly and changing attack animations depending on if you swing mid run, standing, jumping backwards, after a roll or whatever. Also, add in the dodge roll system and help make the decision to carry every plate and cup you find in the dungeon truly a tough choice as you have to keep encumbrance below not just the max, but below 75%, 50%, or even 25% based on what sort of character you play.
Introduce a Stance system to add to combat and character roleplaying (and variety to random encounters too). Treat it like the Dark Souls weapon system, only changeable and bound to classes of weapons. Lets say I have a Stance that lets me do short pokes with a longsword, as well as wide sweeps with heavy swings. It would work for every type of long sword, so I could get familiar with a fighting pattern, pick my favorite but not be restricted to a single weapon the whole game. Furthermore, one would not be able to always guess how an npc bandit will attack simply because of the weapon on their back. Hell, add small stat variations on them too. Small percent more damage per swing, but wider and slower. Faster strikes but requires a dagger and can't block as well. Imagine if you played in a cave of bandits with every one armed with a dagger or sword and not a one fought the same as another. Would that not add actual individuality to them, threat and personality to them? Imagine if even weak enemies made you just a little fearful again.

Now that combat is fairly decent, lets work on leveling. Keep how skills level as you use them, but change the growth they have on the player a little. The same health/mana/stamina growth per level doesn't give the same feeling as getting a few stat points that oblivion/morrowind did. Don't have the amount you get based in the skills you level though because god I hated that.

Also, change level scaling. Have areas designated by a challenge rating that makes sense for the area, let them take into around player level but not entirely dependent on it. Areas have a modifier or something that add or subtract from the player level, have level caps or minimum enemy levels. It comes off as a little ridiculous that the cave right next to starter village has monsters that can bend me over the table and slap my ass if I spent a little time crafting beforehand. That system discouraged anything but combat proficiency of some degree. Instead, break skills into two categories in terms of how the game reads them to base enemy difficulty on. First are combat skills. Weapons, armors, magics. These are treated 1 for 1 in terms of how they'd affect enemies. Next are the non-combat ones. Reduce them to 2 or 3 for 1. That way, it takes into account how those skills can help out, but doesn't pretend that because I can convince a guard to let me go, it will help me stop an undead dreadlord from curb-stomping my ass.

Upgrade weapon crafting and increase variety of weapon and armor types. I miss paldrons and piece by piece armor finding (and enchanting). Add in some spears and polearms, some crossbows and javelins. Have crafting have an element of chance to it, where weapons can come within damage ranges rather then static numbers. Make it a joy to see a weapon drop in hopes it is higher quality then the one you made. Hell, have smithing ranks affect the highest rank you can potentially make of any sort of weapon rather then a static reinforcement number. Keep reinforce but encourage harder decisions between making new stuff for a higher potential base quality and reinforcing an existing one.

Magic and Enchanting. Make it fun, make the enchantments creative, let players come up with spells based on a plethora of effects. Give us orbs and small bolts as well as walls and traps and weapon coatings, armors of flame and swirling vortexes of lighting and death. Don't just make magic practical, make it absurd. I want to be able to cast a fireball that explodes and casts levitate and slow on enemies to confuse the hell out of them. I want a lightning bolt that paralyzes them in the spot. I want trap rune that can cause poison. Give players more options and flexibility and dozens of casting types, effect, damages and the like. And, add in that Stance system from before for various buffs/penalties. Adds to individuality if necromancers have a Casting Stance that has them cut their hands, costing them a small bit of lift to cast much higher damage spells, or Clerics pray a moment before casting healing spells, making it slower but more potent. Hell, have a pyromancer stance that makes a Kamehameha that always adds explode to the spell effect.

All I can think of for now, but there is a lot more.

The Feast

Apr 5, 2013
Do you know what I want? Let Bethesda Game Studios invest full time in the game without feeling that the "11.11.11" is a perfect release date. Do you know that there is a mod that actually found the code that make the Civil War quest more interesting and it's not even made by modders, most of the codes and scripting is literally found in the game and the modders fix it.

It is very clear that the game is being rushed considering that the game have been patched multiple times, the issue with the console especially PS3, and the added features in the later date (4 GB RAM awareness, High Resolution Texture, Horse Combat). BGS have once created the most unique game which is Morrowind and most of the Elder Scrolls fan are still argue that it is the best game ever, even though I like Oblivion and Skyrim. Morrowind is literally created by a few people and it is a massive success.

If Skyrim is made by a 100 people, they probably should ofhow Morrowind saved Bethesda from bankruptcy. The feedbacks have been mentioned, the issues have been annoying, the complaints have been swarming Pete Hines tweet. I probably expect that Fallout 4 isn't debut at E3 2013 because they need more time to create the best RPG ever. Of course, we all will probably anticipate the the debut of Elder Scrolls VI, which hope to rival CD Projekt's, The Witcher game series, the old Bioware RPGs, probably Dragon's Dogma too or all of the game, in the gamer's heart.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
chivalry medieval combat, take that combat system and put it into skyrim. I would like some variety in magic maybe actually being able to make a wall of ice, or a spell that increases your runnign speeed and causes you to leave behind a trail of fire, but at the very least make magic a viable option at high levels. Maybe a hardcore mode like fallout new vegas, also permadeath option.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Politeia said:
You have no idea how much creating the various forms of Khajiit would cost Bethesda.
I know it costs enough that its the very reason they haven't done it in any of the games so far. You just want to seem to ignore that fact because you had some odd hellbent obsession over cats apparently.

SonOfVoorhees said:
I want the stats to matter for guilds.
Having stats matter to guids makes no sense because stats are nothing more then an abstract game method of showing progress to the arbitrary 100% state the devs set. Realistically, guilds would make you use magic in order to pass tests/complete challenges.

Which is what the guilds kinda do already
-DB makes you murder people
-TG makes you pickpocket someone to get in, and makes you do like 40+ radiant quests, all of which require being able to steal/pickpocket/plant evidence without getting caught, or murdering the target, before you can become guild master.
-College makes you have to cast a spell to get in, and makes you have to know how to cast wards for a long period of time, and makes you have to know how to use fire/frost magic to overcome a challenge, and several magically sealed doors.
-The Companions just make sure you can kill shit.

OFc, I do agree these test need to be harder, but its far better then "here's some magical sheet of all my stats despite the fact that stats don't actually exist, now make me guild leader cuz 100's hur der der."

The Feast said:
Do you know that there is a mod that actually found the code that make the Civil War quest more interesting and it's not even made by modders, most of the codes and scripting is literally found in the game and the modders fix it.

It is very clear that the game is being rushed considering that the game have been patched multiple times, the issue with the console especially PS3, and the added features in the later date (4 GB RAM awareness, High Resolution Texture, Horse Combat).
Three fun facts
1. that mod is mostly that modders own code that he made based off of notes left by the devs about the civil war, and not Bethesda code itself.

2. The PS3 problems was because of the PS3's cell architecture, and the split memory design, not because the game was rushed.

3. By that logic all expansions are indications of a rushed game as well. All games have patches, and most games gets new content. 4gig awareness, Hrose Combat, HRT, where all things made because they wanted to do them, not becuase they had to cut them from the base game cuz 11/11/11.

theemporer said:
Really, I just want to be a normal guy in TES VI. No dragonborn, destiny or Nerevarine stuff. Just to be random adventurer doing what I do.
So you want Bethesda to make an Elder Scrolls game, that defeats the entire purpose of the name Elder Scrolls? Which is to say, a game based off of someone doing some epic thign as fortold by The Elder Scrolls?

Also, they did make a game like that, it was called Redguard, and everyone hated it, and it almost bankrupted Bethesda.

The Feast

Apr 5, 2013
SajuukKhar said:
Politeia said:
You have no idea how much creating the various forms of Khajiit would cost Bethesda.
I know it costs enough that its the very reason they haven't done it in any of the games so far. You just want to seem to ignore that fact because you had some odd hellbent obsession over cats apparently.

SonOfVoorhees said:
I want the stats to matter for guilds.
Having stats matter to guids makes no sense because stats are nothing more then an abstract game method of showing progress to the arbitrary 100% state the devs set. Realistically, guilds would make you use magic in order to pass tests/complete challenges.

Which is what the guilds kinda do already
-DB makes you murder people
-TG makes you pickpocket someone to get in, and makes you do like 40+ radiant quests, all of which require being able to steal/pickpocket/plant evidence without getting caught, or murdering the target, before you can become guild master.
-College makes you have to cast a spell to get in, and makes you have to know how to cast wards for a long period of time, and makes you have to know how to use fire/frost magic to overcome a challenge, and several magically sealed doors.
-The Companions just make sure you can kill shit.

OFc, I do agree these test need to be harder, but its far better then "here's some magical sheet of all my stats despite the fact that stats don't actually exist, now make me guild leader cuz 100's hur der der."

The Feast said:
Do you know that there is a mod that actually found the code that make the Civil War quest more interesting and it's not even made by modders, most of the codes and scripting is literally found in the game and the modders fix it.

It is very clear that the game is being rushed considering that the game have been patched multiple times, the issue with the console especially PS3, and the added features in the later date (4 GB RAM awareness, High Resolution Texture, Horse Combat).
Three fun facts
1. that mod is mostly that modders own code that he made based off of notes left by the devs about the civil war, and not Bethesda code itself.

2. The PS3 problems was because of the PS3's cell architecture, and the split memory design, not because the game was rushed.

3. By that logic all expansions are indications of a rushed game as well. All games have patches, and most games gets new content. 4gig awareness, Hrose Combat, HRT, where all things made because they wanted to do them, not becuase they had to cut them from the base game cuz 11/11/11.
I kinda like how you define the facts which I have not have known even though I still disagree on things that almost make Bethesda a fan rage & troll attraction association. But about the guilds, or mostly the whole Skyrim quest, they seem to have lack the charm and detailed story when compared to Morrowind and Oblivion.

The DB in Oblivion is the reason it became so popular and only Cicero is the main reason to care, the Fighters Guild in Oblivion and Morrowind seems to at least feel like an episode rather than a short movie, and even though the MG and TG quest is impressive, all of the finished guild quest seems to be boiled down to errand job instead of being a great Harbringer advisor or a feared Arch Mage. At least in Oblivion or Morrowind, you feel like the person who manage things in the guild. Unfortunately, the Bard College have lose its potential of being an interesting guild, they should expand it more in the next Elder Scrolls.

Man, I have never been this demanding from an Elder Scrolls, even I feel satisfied when playing Oblivion.

Trueflame

Apr 16, 2013
What they'll likely do is create a new engine and we'll get a new game with even fancier graphics, characters, environments, and so forth. And it'll look gorgeous, but definitely have an even larger hollow spot where its core used to be.

What I'd like is a game that mixes Skyrim's detailed graphics and environments, but returns some of the functionality lost over the past two games, or comes up with new features and functions. I miss having more than 4 pieces of armor, having more detailed and in depth enchanting and spellmaking, and so on. But even more, I keep hoping Bethesda will learn the lessons of Fallout New Vegas and learn to incorporate a stronger and more diverse storyline into its games.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Y'know, I vaguely remember a thread likes this for Elder Scrolls V years ago. Lemme see how they did with those requests before I consider what I want to see in ES6.

Me from 2009 said:
1. ALL of the Empire. Not just Tamriel or Morrowind, but the whole empire. Vvardenfell, Black Marsh, Tamriel, Morrowind, Skyrim, Hammerfell, Sommerset Isle, the whole thing. Maybe even Akavir, if the place is still around. Elder Scrolls V is going to be regarding the ENTIRE empire and its possible downfall, so let's see everything.

2. Bethesda's trademark "never break eye contact" NPC interaction. It felt really unrealistic in a heavily realism-based game, magic notwithstanding. And then it came back in Fallout 3 and I still hated it.
-2.1: The "Conversation Pie". This needs to be outlawed. It was just annoying and frankly asinine.
-2.2: More than one voice actor for every two races. Orcs and Nords all had the same voices, as did all elves and Khajits and Argonians. This is why I usually played a Redguard or Breton, just to get some sort of racial diversion. Maybe get 5 or 10 different voice actors for a certain race.

3. Fix spells. Spellcasting is fun and seeing an enemy go flying ten feet in the air from a fireball to the nads is great fun, I'm glad we're agreeing on that. But here are some suggestions to fix spells:
-3.1: Fewer asinine spells. Having a different spell to cure diseases and poisons was completely annoying. Plus, you only ran into poisons and diseases seldomly, at best. Yes, it's nice to have Cure Disease when you're running headlong into a vampire lair, but that's about the only time I can think of when you would need it.
-3.2: Make magic level up faster. Leveling your magic skills in Oblivion was almost insultingly long and grind-y, considering how I like being a spellwarrior in that game. Plus, magic spells were all bewilderingly piss-weak. I mean, you're creating something from nothing! That's gotta be worth something!
-3.3: Make spells scale damage/healing. This way you get one spell, it lasts the entire game, and you don't have to keep wasting gold to buy new spells. Yes, keep the diverse ones like in Conjuration for summoning different creatures, but make them scale with your skill. Like at Conjuration skill 20, your Summon Skeleton gets you a Skeleton, but at 40, you get a Skeleton Guardian. Or your Illusion skill will determine the amount of visibility reduction you get from a Chameleon spell.

4. Dual-wielding. Elder Scrolls seems to be one of the few series where you're the stalward hero of the land capable of wielding a big sword and obviously not stupid enough to go running around without a shield, but for those of us who like the stealth gameplay, what about dual-wielding smaller weapons, like daggers?

5. Shield abilities. If you're going to have a shield, why not make it more useful instead of just making it so you don't get an arrow through your face? Let us go on the offensive with our shield, like a shield-bash ability? That way you could also let us use shield spikes to increase our damage with that!

6. Have the big-name-voice-actor-du-jour live throughout the entire course of the game. Bethesda has a horrible habit of killing great, big-name voice actors by making them die horrible deaths in their games. Elder Scrolls IV did it to Patrick Steward, Fallout 3 did it to Liam Neeson (though admittedly his life expectency as an in-game NPC that you interact with is signifigantly longer than Capt. Picard), and I'm sick of seeing these perfectly-cast actors get killed by assassins, Super Mutants or jerks.

7. New factions. Yes, it's good to see the Fighter's and Mage's Guilds, Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood running around, but let's see some new factions! For example, how about a faction of real necromancers (I.E., those necromancers who actually do what necromancers are supposed to do, communicate with the dead and carry out their will so they can rest in peace) who have you kill off other necromancers (the bad ones who raise the dead)? This way you could tie Mannimarco into them, since he's sort of the "king" of necromancers. Yes, you kill him in ES4, but to quote Skarvald the Constructor in World of Warcraft's Utgarde Keep instance (forgive the extreme nerdiness, even for this thread, please), "what sort of necromancer lets death stop him?" And while I'm on the subject of new factions...
-7.1: Continued interaction with factions/warring factions. After you complete the faction quests in ES4, you really only stop by there to pick up money or enchant gear. And frankly, it's annoying that you sink X number of hours into these factions only to have them be little more than your personal gold-farming service.

8. More perks from skills and some skills earlier. Instead of giving us perks every 25 points in a skill, why not 20? For example, in armoring, why not let us work with magic items sooner? It would certainly be less grind-y.

9. Leveling up and skill system. Now, this irks me probably the most of all. And here's why:
-9.1: Leveling magic. It takes forever. Especially Restoration and Destruction, keeping in mind the annoying amount of spells you get which do virtually the same thing but slightly more damage or healing. Annoying.
-9.2: You have to sleep to raise your level. Who thought of this, and why is he not dead? This is a horrible idea, and I'm glad Bethesda removed it for Fallout 3.
-9.3: The "point distribution" system. You get points in certian skill areas (Strength, Intelligence, etc.) from using certain skills. Melee skills net you strength, stealth skills earn you agility, it's just a hassle and it encourages grinding skills endlessly and wasting valuable gameplay time. Make it more like Fallout 3, where you get maybe 50 attribute points at the start of the game to distribute on scales of 1 to 10 in your attributes and when you level up, you get X number of skill points that you place into improving your major skills, Y for minor skills and Z for the other skills.
-9.4: Major and Minor skills. Making skills "major" and "minor" was something I saw in Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, so I thought I'd see about re-working that. At the start of the game, all your skills are set to 10, and major skills are immeditately set to 35, minor skills are set to 20.
-9.5: Only leveling major skills levels up your character. This is a terrible, horrible idea and it needs to be killed.
-9.6: Conclusion on leveling. All the leveling problems will go away if you remember 5 words: Make It Like Fallout 3. Fallout 3 had a great leveling and skill system, and it should be copyrighted by Bethesda and they should use it in all their games for the rest of eternity.

10. Vampirism and Lycanthropy. Being a vampire or a lycanthrope (werewolf) is cool, but the minuses are so severe with vampires and I never got to become a werewolf because I never played that far into ES3, so why not incorporate both and scale back some of the vampire weaknesses? Like, wearing certain clothing will shield you from the sun. Maybe you could even make factions for vampires and werewolves that you could only access as one or the other! That'd be cool. And of course, you can't cure it. You decided to get stupid and not cure your porophyic hemophilia or save so you could play through as a vampire or not as a vampire, and so you should be forced to stomach the consequences for the rest of the game. Screw you. No de-vampiring for you!

11. The way the game starts. I don't want to start out as a prisoner! I'm innocent, I tells ya! Elder Scrolls IV was annoying because Valen Dreth wasn't in your cell and you couldn't punch the crap out of him (despite how much fun it was to get revenge on him in the Dark Brotherhood quest). Maybe start out as you being a small child who becomes an apprentice to some job, like a mason or a smith or something, I'm just suggesting. Actually, copyright that in case I ever make a game, that's how I want it to start.

12. More journeys into the realms of the daedric princes. Oblivion is a big place, and we've only really seen Mehrunes Dagon's land of fire and death and Sheogorath's delightful world of madness, so let's see some more!

13. Enchanting gear. You can only put one enchantment on your armor and about a billion on weapons. This sucks! I want my unstoppable super-badass fishing waders of water walking, water breathing, shielding and elemental immunity that have the power to give me 40 health and carry an extra 30 pounds and increase my resistance to all weapons! Though I will admit, I loves me my soul-sucking sword that does fire, frost and shock damage...

14. The encumberance system. When you're over-encumbered, you can't even MOVE? That is crap! Who designed that, and why has he not been sacrificed to the volcano god?!

15. Dwarven technology. It was a big thing in ES3, and was barely even worth mentioning in ES4, I guess we were still riding high on the Orlando Bloom as Legolas fad, much as I want to swap out that "d" with a "g." Still, more dwarven tech.

16. Guns and crossbows. Ok? More options for long-range combat. Blades has swords and daggers, blunt has maces and axes (though I never knew why, they axes have a bladed edge...), let's give long-range combat a second option or a third option.

17. More ownership. Let us own businesses and boats. Maybe shipping industries.
So how'd we stack up.

1. Nope. Elder Scrolls V took place solely in Skyrim (and Solthsteim, which I still consider Skyrim since Morrowind basically went kablooie). Elder Scrolls Online is doing that, though, so no strike against them.

2. Way better. I hated the conversation system in Elder Scrolls 4, they went back and fixed it. Though I'd politely ask them to make sure NPCs don't put food/drink in their mouths when they're talking. Funny, but a little eyebrow-raising.
-2.1. Fixed. Thank the Nine.
-2.2. Also fixed.

3. Vastly better. Spells feel more different and unique, though getting a few (like Telekinesis or Detect Life) was a bit annoying.
-3.1. Fixed. The Destruction Apprentice and Expert spells were kind of similar but nothing too terrible.
-3.2. I'm not sure if it's faster, but it's certainly less like a grind.
-3.3. They didn't do this. I'm not too terribly broken up about it, but I'd still like Bethesda to consider it.

4. They did it. Love it.

5. They did that too.

6. As far as I can tell, it's optional to kill Mario (Parthunnaax's voice actor also voices Mario) and Ulfric Stormcloak, so I call that a win.

7. There's the Dawnguard, otherwise there weren't many new factions seeking recruits. But what happened to the Arena?

8. Done. Vastly better, makes the character way more customizable (and personal), love it. Great job, Bethesda!

9. Everything was done better. Everything.

10. Done. It's awesome being a Vampire Lord or Werewolf.

11. It's better, but I don't know, I still don't like being a prisoner.

12. Going into Hermaeus Mora's realm was definitely creepy and interesting, but I'd love to see more of Oblivion.

13. Enchanting is better in ES5, but I do miss being able to put as many enchantments as possible on stuff.

14. Fixed. Vastly better, especially if you have Summon Arvak.

15. Oh yeah, great seeing Dwarven tech and machines in Elder Scrolls 5. When I wasn't getting destroyed by Centurions, anyway.

16. Crossbows are like bows but they ignore armor with a slower reload time? Acceptable! Good to see alternatives to longbows!

17. Didn't do it. Disappointed, but not like I wasn't hard up for cash on my wizard playthrough.
They even took out armor durability just to please me. I'm touched. Anyway, Bethesda, if you want to make ES6 (or whatever it is), all you gotta do is use the tools you've got to make things better. Elder Scrolls V was awesome, all you have to do is use that toolset you used to make that game to make one that's even better. It's not that hard.

Though if I can suggest a place, how about Orsinium and a return to Daggerfall? Or barring that, Black Marsh.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
They really need to combine the best attributes of the past few Elder Scrolls games to make a truly epic entry. Skyrim has the looks and the physics, but to me, it felt soulless. Fewer cities and environments made it feel more claustrophobic than Oblivion, despite Skyrim technically being larger, at least when flattened out.

They also need to do some character work quite badly. I could see the dev teams of Bethesda and Obsidian working together, creating a game with the scenery and engine of Bethesda together with the characters and storytelling of Obsidian.

Other potential improvements:
- Combat system is mostly good. Incrementally improve it, no missive overhaul needed.
- Bring spears back! I want to re-enact 300.
- Though mods serve me quite well here, throwing weapons would be nice.
- AI, both combat and civilian variants, could use improvement. We don't want them to be actually intelligent, but rather give the illusion of intelligence.
- Stop allies jumping in front of my own swings, it gets really annoying.
- *Others may be added when thought of.

Machocruz

Aug 6, 2010
Quests with multiple solutions and multiple outcomes. After Fallout 2, I expect this standard in every WRPG

Guild rank requirements. Knowing I could become arch-mage with a meat-head warrior broke the immersion in Oblivion and Morrowind. It enhances the credibility of the world and gives weight to character build choices.

Hand placed loot/treasure independent of level. So what if the player happens upon a good weapon or armor early? I dont need a babysitter to keep me from "ruining" my own experience. That's the player's decision. What good is the much vaunted exploration if there is nothing useful to find?

Interesting spells. Levitation set ES apart from most RPGs. They need to find a different method of rendering towns if there is a conflict with closed cells. In general, Skyrim has some of the most boring spells I've seen in a WRPG.

Multi path, labyrinthine dungeons. The dungeons in Skyrim are a joke.

Non-scaled valuables in buildings. I didn't make a thief so I could pilfer wooden spoons and bolts of cloth.

Climbing + verticality in level design. Not much of a thief if I can't sneak in through the top floor.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
theemporer said:
Really, I just want to be a normal guy in TES VI. No dragonborn, destiny or Nerevarine stuff. Just to be random adventurer doing what I do.
So you want Bethesda to make an Elder Scrolls game, that defeats the entire purpose of the name Elder Scrolls? Which is to say, a game based off of someone doing some epic thign as fortold by The Elder Scrolls?

Also, they did make a game like that, it was called Redguard, and everyone hated it, and it almost bankrupted Bethesda.
Redguard failed because it was a third person action game with a preset main character, completely contradicting the entire Elder Scolls formula, not because the main character wasn't a chosen hero.

And yes, I do want the former. TES' appeal comes more from the large open world and interesting lore than from the actual elder scrolls themselves, which are rarely mentioned and are often just used as a deus ex machina in a lackluster main story anyway. Interacting with that world from the perspective of a random person who lives in that world, who isn't a chosen hero, would be a more interesting, personal experience in my opinion. TES being a roleplaying game in which you can create your own character, I'd say offering more freedom in the kind of character you can play, not forcing you into a prophecy, would be a good thing.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
Also, you can still jump in Skyrim, quite far if you get a running jump.

o_O

I didn't know you could do a running jump in Skyrim.
May I ask how? : o

TheHomelessHero

Apr 11, 2013
Honestly, I hope they bring back the old stat system along with the skills and perks. It made more characters feel more personalized and original. Also, bring back custom classes. The stat boosts from custom classes helps you start out with your own preferred playstyle right off the bat, instead of working 7+ hours just to get a decent thief character.