Poll: The Elder Scrolls vs. Fallout

Pjotr84

Oct 22, 2009
Since Bethesda didn't actually make New Vegas, I'll have to go for the Elder Scrolls. Not because those are that good in my view, except for Morrowind perhaps, but rather since Fallout 3 was a joke of a game. In an actual ES vs. Fallout, including all games, I'd pick the latter easily.

Echopunk

Jul 6, 2011
I prefer the original Fallout games to 3. I actually like F2 more than F1, despite all the jokes and "cameos." It is probably something as simple as the cd-drive on the machine I first experienced Fallout on being a piece of trash. It stuttered and froze, so it turned the game into an almost survival horror experience for me. Will the next area stream in right?

By the time Fallout 2 hit my desktop, I'd upgraded a few times and it played without a hitch. Overall, it was a much smoother experience for me. I've probably played through it about twice as many times as the original.

I played through Fallout 3 twice, ish. I didn't go through the ending on the second run and didn't care enough to get the dlc. It didn't feel Fallout-y enough.

New Vegas was definitely a step in the right direction, but I haven't actually gotten around to finishing it yet. I don't like that as soon as I make a decision (toward the end of the game), everyone except the side I'm backing instantly hates me. My complaint is not against having an actual choice MATTER in a game. My complaint is that I do something in a bunker or a remote base or a back room where I am, functionally, alone or at the very least isolated, yet the entire game world (factions at least) react to it. I guess psychic phenomenon is pretty rampant in the Mojave wasteland.

I've had mixed experiences with the Elder Scrolls. Daggerfall was great, in theory, but largely unplayable. Everyone in Oblivion was so ugly. I wanted to buy full face helmets and just hand them out on every corner. I'm surprised nobody came up to my character, who thanks to an insane amount of time in the creation menus, actually looked like a normal person, and asked how they escaped the mutagenic calamity that befell every denizen of Cyrodiil.

Morrowind is a special case. It is one of my all time favorite games, and I have played it to death. I stuffed it full of mods, and even got into making a few of my own. I sunk more hours than I care to admit into it, multiple times. There was something perfect about enchanting an amulet with a constant dispel function, and using it as protection while you set out to kill a false God who likes to name cities after himself. Of course, every trip I took through the game dovetailed into the same end-build. Fighter-thief-rogue hybrid. I kept a ring of levitation and a cloak of water walking in my inventory at all times, and appreciated the game for allowing me the leeway to create such things, even if they had the potential to break the game.

Skyrim was fun, or at least my second trip through the game was. My first trip, I sort of took the Morrowind approach, dabbling in a little of everything, and joining a bunch of guilds to see what was more interesting for me. I'd decided to focus on the thieves' guild line as it fit my character's main approach - stealth, archery, and lockpicking. But, the end of the quest, and the decision it required went completely against the mindset I used for my character.

My second trip, I basically played as the TES version of a werewolf Conan and had a complete blast.

All in all, I'd have to say that I prefer the Fallout series. I've always had an affinity for Westerns/Spaghetti Westerns, and Fallout is easier to bend in that direction than the Elder Scrolls. Hell, parts of New Reno pretty much boiled down to the retro-futuristic sci-fi apocalyptic rendition of A Fistfull of Dollars. I can't vote against a series with that kind of DNA.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
I'm going with TES. Fallout 2 was awesome, and New Vegas was also fun, if a tad empty, but I will always prefer a game where I can be an elf and have people be racist about it. Plus, the modding community in TES games is always a lot more creative which I like, and I like to sneak, and sneaking is a lot more fun in games where most people only have melee weapons. Cuts down on them detecting you from a mile away and killing you before you even know where they are.

That said both are fantastic (mostly).

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
Chicago Ted said:
KungFuJazzHands said:
Fallout FTW. Although if I'm going to be honest, I would have preferred that Bethesda never got the rights to the Fallout IP -- almost any other publisher could have done a better job with it technically.
Are you kidding? Even if you're not the fondest of their games, I think that having Fallout land in the lap of Bethesda was a great stroke of luck for the series. While Bethesda's stories aren't really anything to write home about, the only company that I can think of that allows for anything more mod friendly would be Valve. So, while I understand that there can be a lack of enthusiasm for they're stories, or a bunch of gripes made about how the game can be buggy at release, I do have to ask what makes you feel that almost any other publisher could treat it better, when how open Bethesda is with their works in an ever more constricting industry, makes them one of the worst options in your mind.
Look at it from this perspective: Bethesda took a treasured IP, added a bunch of half-stewed elements to it, threw it into a horribly buggy engine, and called it a day. They certainly didn't do anything revolutionary (they can't even be bothered to run proper QA testing on their games, for God's sake) -- they simply used Elder Scrolls gameplay mechanics as a base and built a post-nuclear setting around that. Any other publisher could have done the same thing, and many of them could have done a better job with the IP, especially considering Beth's strangely obsessive attachment to an anemic proprietary game engine that should have been put to pasture a long time ago.

Maybe I should have put it this way: "almost any other publisher couldn't have done worse, technically or otherwise."

Anyway, I'm not sure how being more "mod friendly" somehow makes Bethesda stand out from the pack. Plenty of other publishers allow for user experimentation in their titles.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
Fallout, easily. While I don't hate the Elder Scrolls series by any stretch of the imagination, I just like everything about Fallout a lot more than Elder Scrolls.
I dont like EVERYTHING about Fallout more-some things are tied-, but I always just enjoyed fallout much more as a whole than TES, at least the most recent 2 fallout games (though I prefer 3 over new vegas because the desert environment really just didn't do it for me. I'm a much bigger fan of the urban environment or a diverse and appealing temperate to tropical ecosystem. The fallout lore tidbits I found more interesting as well, partially because I'm just a bigger fan of sci-fi or cyberpunk than I am high fantasy in most cases. I actually found it fun reading through the terminals for Fallout 3, but the books didn't really interest me much in Oblivion or Skyrim (except for one little excerpt from the lusty argonian maid that I read. It was part 4 or something and that was just friggin' funny.)

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
As much as I liked Skyrim, I would have to go with Fallout, Fallout 3 being one of my all time favourite games. I just felt it had more depth to it than Skyrim, through superb environmental storytelling, old terminal entries and notes and the like really added to my enjoyment. I preferred the atmosphere too, it felt much more immersive.

takemeouttotheblack

Apr 4, 2013
I'd say TES. While I like Fallout, the unrelenting onslaught of rust, dust and ruined masonry usually ends up getting a little on my nerves, and to a Brit, the very American setting and themes are a bit wearing at times. That, and I prefer bows and swords to guns, sorry, and Skyrim is one of my favourite games of all time, especially in terms of how there's a relatively strict progression of missions within the factions which I quite like. Moreover, magic and shouts are cool.

That said, there's a lot of Fallout to like, especially in NV, and I really enjoyed the bits with the NSR and the Legion. Now, Fallout 4? I'm interested...

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Where's the both option? I like both quite equally, they both have great things about them, and faults etc. But I find something brilliant in both series.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Elder Scrolls. The Fallout setting is not my cup of tea - too much dingy, dirty, rusty, gray, postapocalypse with no trees, and not even the decency to look like a natural wasteland. Plus guns aren't interesting in RPGs compared to swords.

Feb 22, 2009
Fallout, all the way. I HATE Elder Scrolls. The most boring, derivative, story, setting and characters imaginable; an incredibly lazily structured set of quests where you basically just choose a questline from the start and do that, rather than actually unlocking stuff as you go along; the graphics, much as I've heard people praise them, still look absolutely terrible to me; and of course, the horrible, horrible combat.

Fallout on the other hand has the vastly more interesting and colourful post-apocalyptic setting, with the whole alternate history thing going on, and while I still don't think the writing's particularly great, the setting alone is enough to keep me interested. Then there's the fact that these games, especially New Vegas, are extremely well-structured in terms of your progression. You really can't just cut across the wasteland safely, so you have to follow the road the game puts you on, and encounter all the odd side-quests along the way, and there's always several ways to do each quest you're given, and it's just far less lazy than the design on the Elder Scrolls games is. In terms of graphics they're pretty similar, but the style and setting, again, of Fallout makes the still unimpressive graphics look interesting to me - wandering around the wasteland can actually be quite a beautiful experience. And the combat, well, it's still not my favourite but the whole VATS system is fun, and guns feel a lot better than swords to me from a first-person perspective.

So yeah, Fallout. TES is fucking horrible.

Sep 14, 2009
speaking in pure bethesda, then elder scrolls surely, i generally prefer fantasy over post apocalyptic, and the lore is generally better vs what they did in fallout 3

however included 1 2 and new vegas, then fallout for sure, i enjoyed it immensely and have replayed new vegas multiple times now

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
The Elder Scrolls any day. I simply loved Skyrim and Oblivion. For the life of me I could not be bothered to get into New Vegas' desert.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
In the immortal words of Roman from Party Down...

I enjoyed Skyrim and the other TES games, but they just didn't capture me the same way that the Fallout games did. There's just something about exploding a Deathclaw with an Anti-Materiel rifle that is just so satisfying!

Vorpal_Smilodon

Apr 13, 2013
Devetta said:
Sweetrolls is a very good argument, however I do love the Elder Scrolls series slightly more than Fallout, simply due to the fact it's been in my life longer and I have a soft spot for bows, the night mother and stealing horses.
This is a great point, if Bethesda had any sense they'd include either a bows or crossbows in Fallout 4.

Fallout is a clear winner in my mind, because of the branching questlines. New Vegas was even better with its four way ending, but I'm not sure if the obsidian game counts.

KlinkKlink

Apr 16, 2013
While I love them both, I have to say I enjoy Fallout more. I feel like the combat is much more solid (I speak relatively, of course) than the Elder Scrolls'. While real-time combat, be it shooting or slicing, feels awfully floaty in both of them, VATS and sniping compensates for that quite well and adds an extra layer of strategy to it all. I also enjoy Fallout's setting more, as well. As interesting Tamriel is, I love the gritty bleakness, yet borderline lightheartedness of post-apocalyptic America. Still, the writing in both of them makes me cringe at their worst.

GlorySeeker

Oct 6, 2010
I enjoy both games, but I just enjoy the Fantasy setting more in TES. I like the world more, all the swords and sorcery is what draws me to those games.

Di-Dorval

Jan 11, 2012
Fallout games just seems to have much more to them for some reasons... Oblivions had many interesting quest ideas though. (oblivion is actually much better when you stop exploring)

Skyrim is the worst game by far though.. there is nothing in it at all other than very similar dungeons or extremely boring quests.

I usually prefer fantasy games but TES games are just pretty bland..

Idk in fallout exploring do feel interesting and rewarding because they don't just throws tons of shallow content around like they do in TES.