Poll: The Elder Scrolls vs. Fallout

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
Elder scrolls for the open world and graphics, fallout for the story. Fallout has a limited lifespan IMO, you can only play it so many times before you get bored. Elder scrolls on the other hand, you could keep playing for years and years and still find something new. It is truly one of those inexhaustible games.

42Weasels

Oct 26, 2012
Hmm... I've only played Fallout New Vegas as far as the series goes, and Skyrim and Oblivion in TES. So with that in mind, I would say I prefer TES BUT as far as story goes, I have to go with Fallout. The main plot of both TES games I've played thus far we're a little underwhelming, and I think the reason why is that in those games I've no investment in my character as a person. FNV doesn't have much more to be sure, but it's there. The main quest starts as a personnel vendetta (where ever it may go from there), but in TES you're a prisoner, who may or may not have done anything to be incarcerated, whose thrown into a situation way out of the normal. It's not bad, but I don't really care about my character beyond the stats equipment and objectives.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
From TES, I've only played Skyrim and from Fallout, only 3 and New Vegas.
But looking back on it, I enjoyed Fallout more. I don't know, I think it's the isolation and atmosphere in Fallout I like more.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I prefer Fallout but wish Bethesda would stay away from it and let Obsidian handle the story and setting.

Elder Scrolls games have always been great sandboxes but terrible when it comes to seeing the effects of player choice on the world. Fallout has been a great sandbox while being able to see what the player does affect the world, at least with New Vegas.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I prefer Fallout because war...war never changes.

Seriously though, I simply love the setting. The iconic American 50's carried out to its head in the clouds destination as a backdrop to nuclear armageddon. Elder Scrolls is awesome but it is simply generic fantasy in a lot of ways, that being said these are two of my favorite game franchises and I adore them both.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Fallout for me it just feels more visceral and immersive like I'm actually in the game rather than TES were I'm always aware that it's not real.
Also Fallout 3 is the best Fallout game there I said it >_<
Mostly because I like the dark and gritty rather than the more campy new vegas-the first two fallout games are too outdated for me to enjoy.

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
It was kind of a tough choice, but had to pick fallout for the comedy and nods to media (doesnt hurt that they have Ron Perlman in every game)

i will say i love both series a lot and pretty damn glad they are still going after so many years

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Well, Fallout just because I enjoy the setting more. And it has more of a sense of humor, which mixes with the more serious bits and provides greater contrast.

That takes nothing away from Elder Scrolls though. I've been playing ES since Daggerfall and love the games. By comparison I only got Fallout and Fallout 2 when they showed up on GOG, and didn't get Fallout 3 until after that.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
For story, characters and world I'd have to go with Fallout. However, for longevity I'd go with TES. Fallout's cool, but there's just not as much to do (for me at least) as with TES games. There's no where near as many weapons, equips or item types and generally there's more quests in TES. There's also a greater enemy variety in TES and the locations are a lot nicer to traverse. Barren wasteland is cool and all, but after 10+ hours of gameplay it pretty much all looks the same.

I do love Fallout, and I get much more excited about Fallout's releases than TES' (and I really hope this new 'project' is a Fallout one!) but they seem so short lived compared to TES. I mean, I'm still playing Oblivion how long after it's release?

Fallout is my nice clean sneakers that I like to wear when I go out drinking, but that hurts my heel after a few hours wear. TES is my comfortable, familiar pair of old slippers that I can lounge about the house in all day long.

I have a good friend who really likes Fallout (3 and NV) but who laughs at me for playing TES games because it has "mages and shit" and he really doesn't get that when it boils down to it, they're both pretty similar.

Frostnova

Apr 17, 2013
not onlt does skyrim have good gameplay and graphics but it contains all those little things like the songs, the books (if you have ever read them?) and another example is the fact that there is an actual language (dragon language) i mean reall aside from LOTR what other franchise has that? [insert franchise here]

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Games by Bethesda? Elder Scrolls. Games by Obsidian? Fallout. Fallout 3 had some of the worst writing that I've ever seen in a video game.

ChiliNoMore

Jul 19, 2011
for me, the elder scrolls series were trashed after skyrim, which was the worst game i've ever played from bethesda just after rogue warrior.

still, fallout 3 had one of the best atmospheres i had the pleasure to play, along with risen... but oblivion was also a major step at the time.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
themyrmidon said:
Fallout, easily, but 9 times out of ten I'll take a science fiction setting over a comparable fantasy one.
While I'm pretty much in one camp with this guy
I
STILL
HAVE
TO
GO
WITH
TES :/
Setting ladies, setting...
Thing is that in last 2 TES games we haven't seen the best things Nirn has to offer
Really crazy things happen in the southern parts of Tamriel, not to mention Akavir and Yokuda
But all we get are bland and ordinary settings
Shame on you Bethesda, shame on you :mad:

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Skyrim was the first Bethesda game I played which didn't have weapon degradation in the base game. Instant win. It was also a fantastic game.

But the Fallout games have been the perfect post-apoc survival RPG I've been looking for, especially New Vegas on Hardcore mode.

Vorpal_Smilodon

Apr 13, 2013
Reaper195 said:
Skyrim was the first Bethesda game I played which didn't have weapon degradation in the base game. Instant win. It was also a fantastic game.

But the Fallout games have been the perfect post-apoc survival RPG I've been looking for, especially New Vegas on Hardcore mode.
Well, there's the enchanted weapon charges. That's pretty similar to weapon degradation.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
I prefer TES.
I like the setting a lot more.
And I prefer swords and sorcery over guns and grenades any day.

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
DoPo said:
ItsNotRudy said:
DoPo said:
ItsNotRudy said:
DoPo said:
Eh, I'll have to go with TES. For now, that is. I like Fallout but I think I prefer TES games right now. I should note that I haven't played New Vegas, so I might change my mind after I do that. Fallout 3 was just a bit...meh. It felt like a post apocalyptic Oblivion - played it once and never really wanted to pick it up ever again. At least Oblivion I could try out another time. Morrowind I would and do. So, as I said, TES for me for now. We'll see how Fallout 4 goes.
I don't think you can really have a full opinion on this not having finished any of the 3D Fallout series.
Erm, I have - I've played Fallout 3 until the end. The ending was rather stupid, IMO.
The way you phrased it implies you had played the game once for a session and never bothered to continue playing. Kind of like me and Mass Effect 3.
Yeah, when I said "once" I meant one playthough, sorry. It was OK overall, but nothing too outstanding. It was just the ending that was too stupid but not really a huge issue, to be honest.
Fallout NV is a much improved version of FO3 to be honest. Better weapon diversity, less linear, factions to join, more significant choices to influence story outcome... You should really give it a go.