Poll: The Four Temperaments: which one are you?

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
DANEgerous said:
phlegmatic easy the mile wide winner. My faults are that I am very easily used if you can get me to like you in even a small degree, even more do if you buy me booze. I take offense to nothing though often to offend those that will to offend me I have proudly been a nerd from the time I was 12 despite the fact that that had no positive connotation at the time and I have no real drive other than to make other stop worrying about mindless bullshit.

My strengths follow the same thing, something that may devastate many emotional people hardly phases me. My Dad says I am not his son? Fuck it he said that because a boyfriend the man is less than dirt. I Failed math and lost tones of cash? Fuck it i got the right answers I just lost all my points because I did not show work find a more rational teacher. I lost my religion? Who cares? There are good and bad people there i just see that more clearly now. Nothing bothers me, I do not want your life mine is fantastic.
This is pretty much me too.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
I wanted melancholic, but mostly because I just like the word.

I read the descriptions first and guessed I'd probably be Phlegmatic.
The test turned out Phlegmatic.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Amethyst Wind said:
This test is woefully over-rigid. It also fails to take into account that people don't always act the same way all the time.
Sadly this is true for most personality tests. I would also like to point out that I don't trust a test which can't spell easily or describe to be very accurate in the first place.

OT: I ended up with phlegmatic. Fits a little, but not completely which is always the problem of boxing someone's personality in a few categories. This test doesn't say anything about me. At best it says a little what I think of myself at the time I took the test. However my own perception can't be trusted for all of those questions.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
At first I thought I was Melancholic but reading it, and taking that test I'm certainly more Phlegmatic.

I have a few aspects from the other ones but Phlegmatic describes me pretty spot on.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
I am a phlegmatic. You shall all fall under the weight of my passive aggressiveness sooner or later.

rvbnut

Jan 3, 2011
"Your temperment is melancholic. The melancholic temperament is fundamentally introverted and thoughtful. Melancholic people often were perceived as very (or overly) pondering and considerate, getting rather worried when they could not be on time for events. Melancholics can be highly creative in activities such as poetry and art - and can become preoccupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world. Often they are perfectionists. They are self-reliant and independent; one negative part of being a melancholic is that they can get so involved in what they are doing they forget to think of others. "

Yep, that's me to a 'T'. I'm always skeptical of these things but more often than not they are usually, somewhat, right.

So hooray for the person that put it together.

johnzaku

Jun 16, 2009
I seem to fall right in the middle of melancholic and phlegmatic

But after going over the checklist I was more towards melancholy.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
Based on the description I figured I'd probably get choleric with maybe a chance of sanguine - and the test gave me choleric, so there we go. ENTJ/P so it had to go one way or the other based on the traits that seems to be measured for both.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Sanguine with a touch of phlegmatic, used to be quite melancholic.
Edit: Myers-briggs also turned up ENFP.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I would say that I'm a mix of both Sanguine and Choleric, based on the characteristics of both temperaments.

From Sanguine, I'm sociable and pleasure-seeking; sanguine people are impulsive and charismatic. They tend to enjoy social gatherings, making new friends and tend to be boisterous. They are usually quite creative and often daydream.

From Choleric, I'm fundamentally ambitious and leader-like. They have a lot of aggression, energy, and/or passion, and try to instill that in others. They are task oriented people and are focused on getting a job done efficiently; their motto is usually "do it now."

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
I would've thought melancholic, but the test results say sanguine.

Which is kind of odd considering I'm extremely withdrawn and prone to keeping to myself.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Chris Tian said:
Do you mean "everyone is mentally ill" literal and all your (close) family members have diagnosable medical conditions, or is it an exaggeration?

As for the serialkiler thing, I think Silverbeard was exaggerating since the mental issues that are found in serielkillers are always more complex and twisted than "I hate people".

-

To both of you:

You both describe social interactions as tiring/exshausting. Does that mean you feel very tense in social situations? Or how do I have to imagine this feeling, that exshausts you?

I ask about tense, since my general observation/theory about alot of introverts is, that alot of the stress they feel in social interactions comes from the subconcious fear of rejection. That fear is an instinct we have from the old days (I mean old days like cave painting and flintstone spear, not tophat and monocle) when being rejected by your social circle could mean death.

Since this the vast majority in this threat seems to be introverted: Everyone feel free to comment on that.
My mom has clinical depression, my brother is bipolar drug addict and my dad who was a slight alcoholic passed away from cancer. Some of my extended family has depression as well but not as bad as my mom's case. Does it matter if he was exaggerating or not if that's how many people react to it? Not everyone understands hating people and serial killing are completely different.

As for being tense in social situations, it varies depending on my mood. If I'm annoyed I'll be extremely tense to try to tell people through body language don't talk to me. It could be considered a fear of rejection because even in todays society being rejected makes it much harder to go about your life. Back in highschool I had an angry mob after me and several sessions at the therapist office because I didn't care a classmate died. I don't mind them rejecting me, but it's not ignore the crazy person, it's go bully them. When they realized I might be a serial killer they stopped because they thought I was going to kill them (which I found laughable but it got them to back off). I'd rather not repeat that experience. It's less tiring to play along than go against the flow.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
I thought I was phlegmatic and it turns out I was right, I generally don't get bothered about anything.

Euphbug

Mar 31, 2009
Well, I consider myself Phlegmatic and it seems the test agrees with me. So not much surprise to me about my results.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
phlegmatic, definately.

though, very much trying to stamp out that laziness from myself, maybe try procrastinating on these forums less...

CAPTCHA: halp meh
oh shit!

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
4RM3D said:
In case you are wondering what's what: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Temperaments

Each of the four types of humors corresponded in ancient times to a different personality type.

Sanguine

The sanguine temperament is fundamentally sociable and pleasure-seeking; sanguine people are impulsive and charismatic. They tend to enjoy social gatherings, making new friends and tend to be boisterous. They are usually quite creative and often daydream. Sanguine personalities generally struggle with following tasks all the way through, are chronically late, and tend to be forgetful and sometimes a little sarcastic. Often, when they pursue a new hobby, they lose interest as soon as it ceases to be engaging or fun. They are very much people persons. They are talkative and not shy. Sanguines generally have an almost shameless nature, certain that what they are doing is right. They have no lack of confidence. Sanguine people are warm-hearted, pleasant, lively and optimistic. They have been called "people-oriented extroverts."

Choleric

The choleric temperament is fundamentally ambitious and leader-like. They have a lot of aggression, energy, and/or passion, and try to instill that in others. They are task oriented people and are focused on getting a job done efficiently; their motto is usually "do it now." They can dominate people of other temperaments with their strong wills, especially phlegmatic types, and can become dictatorial or tyrannical. Many great charismatic military and political figures were cholerics. They like to be in charge of everything and are good at planning, as they can often immediately see a practical solution to a problem. However, they can quickly fall into deep depression or moodiness when failures or setbacks befall them. They have been called "task-oriented extroverts."

Melancholic

The melancholic temperament is fundamentally introverted and is given to thought. Melancholic people are often perceived as very (or overly) pondering and are both considerate and very cautious. Melancholics can be highly creative in activities such as poetry, art, and invention ? and are sensitive to others. Because of this sensitivity and their thoughtfulness they can become preoccupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world and are susceptible to depression and moodiness. Often they are perfectionists. Their desire for perfection often results in a high degree of personal excellence but also causes them to be highly conscientious and difficult to relate to because others often cannot please them. They are self-reliant and independent, preferring to do things themselves to meet their standards. One negative part of being a melancholic is that they can get so involved in what they are doing they forget to think of other issues. Their caution enables them to prevent problems that the more impulsive sanguine runs into, but can also cause them to procrastinate and remain in the planning stage of a project for very long periods. Melancholics prefer to avoid much attention and prefer to remain in the background; they do, however, desire recognition for their many works of creativity.[12] They have been called "task-oriented introverts."

Phlegmatic

The phlegmatic temperament is fundamentally relaxed and quiet, ranging from warmly attentive to lazily sluggish. Phlegmatics tend to be content with themselves and are kind. Phlegmatics are consistent, they can be relied upon to be steady and faithful friends. They are accepting and affectionate, making friends easily. They tend to be good diplomats because their tendency not to judge and affable nature makes reconciling differing groups easy for them. Phlegmatics prefer to observe and to think on the world around them while not getting involved. They may try to inspire others to do the things which they themselves think about doing. They may be shy and often prefer stability to uncertainty and change. Their fear of change (and of work) can make them susceptible to stagnation or laziness, or even stubbornness. They are consistent, relaxed, calm, rational, curious, and observant, qualities that make them good administrators. They can also be passive-aggressive. They have been called "people-oriented introverts."

After reading, you can check your choice with this test [http://personality-testing.info/tests/4T.php].

I see myself as melancholic, but the test said phlegmatic.

I need to contemplate on this. XD

What about you?
I'm the exact opposite of you. I see myself as more phlegmatic but the test said I was melancholic. I know I have parts of both according to the descriptions but I would've labelled myself as more Phlegmatic

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I thought I was phlegmatic, because I the description sounded exactly like me...and then the test says I'm sanguine. Soooo, maybe I did it wrong? It comes close, no denying...but really?

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
Melancholic is what I thought I was, what I voted in the poll and what the test says I am. There you have it folks.

Oct 2, 2012
I guessed Phlegmatic and thats what the test scored me as! Wooo accuracy!
Of course these things are so broad that I see traits from other categories that fit me as well.