Poll: The Four Temperaments: which one are you?

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
TehCookie said:
Hate in the same vain as in that song you hate or that game you hate, so yeah a strong dislike. A better way to put it wold be I don't care and really only hate people who think I should care about others because we're the same species. I can get along with others but I don't enjoy it and find acting tiresome.
You never enjoy getting along with others? So you have no friends at all? Or a family member you love and whos company you enjoy?

You have at least some interest in social interactions (I assume, since you are active on this forum and social interaction is the sole purpose of a forum) or am I mistaken?

Please excuse my interogating you, its just that "everyday-psychology" and social dynamics and people basically are a fascination of mine and its very interesting how someone thinks who doesn't like other people at all. Especially since I cant even imagine that. I'm basically the exact oposite of you and can get along with almost everybody and enjoy that too. I cant even go one day without seeing other people or at least have a longer conversation.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Both the Choleric and the Melancholic fit on me. The Choleric fits the best though, except for the extrovert part, but the Melancholic has the creative mentioned. I went with Choleric anyway.

Edit: I took the test and it said I was Choleric too.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
TehCookie said:
Silverbeard said:
TehCookie said:
Silverbeard said:
Your little test calls me melancholic.
Sounds about right!
TehCookie said:
I don't think I fit in any because I'm anti-social and hate people and every single type is sociable or caring. The test came back sanguine, which I can understand because I never stick to hobbies but I'm extremely introverted.
If you really hated people, you'd have had a psychotic break by now and turned into a serial killer. You sure you hate all mortals everywhere?
I hate jail and death more. Besides you try to kill everything you don't like?
'Hate people', you said. Not really a choice of wording that leaves room for generous interpretations, eh mate?
And some people hate spiders or their neighbors dog but not everyone goes out of their way to attack them. When I hate something I avoid it. I hate people so I avoid them. If it makes you feel better I mean hate as in strong dislike, not loathing.
Yes. That does make me feel better. There's one less potential serial killer on the planet!

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I'm Melancholic (The test said phlegmatic, which isn't a far stretch but those questions were really vague)

Phlegmatic is too.... nice for me. I'm way to harsh.
I'm pretty sure the only reason the test put me there is because I said I was a loyal friend, which is true but only because I have such a rigorous vetting process for who I'll consider a friend, those people won't let me down and deserve the same from me.

But pretty much every part of the melancholic temperament is relevant to how I behave. Except instead of getting depressed at the sorry state of the world I get angry (Which also wouldn't fit very well into Phlegmatic)
I am very much a perfectionist flaws in my work and others' stick out to me (AND NEED TO BE PURGED!)
I also spend way too much time in the planning phase of writing. (When I write I have more spread sheets, flowcharts and crude maps open then word documents.

I'm also a perfectionist, a perfectionist who hates rewriting stuff. which makes me move really slow (Melancholic and phlegmatic?) And if I do have to rewrite something I'll usually start over from scratch, which is a practice that pisses off everyone who's ever payed me to write for them, because every time the parameters of the project change I have to scrap what I've been doing, and that happens a llllllllllooooooooooooootttttttttttttt.

I don't work well with other people. I welcome criticism, and accept it. I'll hand my work off to other people to revise (As long as I get final say) But I do not collaborate. Not because I think any person I might be working with is worse than me, or that their ideas aren't good. It's because I don't want to waste time trying to explain the grater idea I'm trying to put down, and even if I can explain it there's no guarantee that our executions will mesh. Seams will start to show, and fixing that will usually require rewrites...

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Phlegmatic fits the best overall, but I have some qualities from the others I think.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I'm definitely a melancholic. The test said Choleric, and while I can see certain parts of it, I tend to be a good leader when I have to, but I hate leading others. It's always far more painful than it should be. I'm also a horrible procrastinator, I don't often dominate others, and I'm also remarkably introverted, not extroverted.

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
I perceive myself to be 40% melancholic, 40% phlegmatic and 20% Sanguine. I took the pieces from each category and reworked it a bit for a rough estimation of my self-perception. Nothing from Choleric, hehe.

I am a pleasure-seeker. I often daydream. I generally struggle with following tasks all the way through, am chronically late, and tend to be forgetful and sometimes a little sarcastic. Often, when I pursue a new hobby, I lose interest as soon as it ceases to be engaging or fun.

I am fundamentally introverted and given to thought. I am often perceived as very (or overly) pondering and am both considerate and very cautious. I am sensitive to others. Because of this sensitivity and thoughtfulness I often become preoccupied with the tragedy in the world and am susceptible to depression and moodiness. I am a perfectionist. I am highly conscientious, but find it difficult to relate to others. I am self-reliant and independent, and prefer to do things myself. I can get too focused on the little details and miss bigger, more important things. I am far too cautious, to the point of an unhealthful level of indecisiveness. I prefer to avoid attention and prefer to remain in the background; I, however, desire recognition for my works of creativity.

I am fundamentally relaxed and quiet. I try to be kind. I am accepting, but have trouble showing affection; I do not make friends easily because I come off as cold or indifferent. I can be a good diplomat because my tendency not to judge and affable nature makes reconciling differing groups easy. I prefer to observe and to think on the world around me while not getting involved. I am shy and often prefer stability to uncertainty and change. My fear of change (and of work) can make me susceptible to stagnation or laziness, or even stubbornness. I am relaxed, calm, rational (but often make decisions based on emotion), curious, and observant. I can also be passive-aggressive.

My test said Phlegmatic. My guess was Melancholic.

Burnswell

Feb 11, 2009
Which group of generalized compliments do you find most appealing eh?
Like all "personality tables" all this is doing is asking some really basic questions that are completely unrealated to each other and smothering them in ego boosting compliments until the questions sound like they're simplifying a complicated system of compliments rather than compliments making simple questions look much deeper than they are.

"Are you outgoing?"
"Are you more focused on people or work?"
Well whatever your answer to those two, we'll appeal to your ego, so this must have some sort of insight because you're a lovely valuable person arn't you... *stroke stroke*

The last one I remember doing this was the Myers & Briggs "MBTI" personality type, which this feels like exactly only they have 4 oversimplified questions instead of 2.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
When I read Melancholic, I am basically reading the exact way that I would summarize my inner workings. Hell, it did a BETTER job of summarizing me than any other personality description I've read or thought of.

Almost every sentence of it rings completely true.

The test gave back Sanguine, which does not describe me much at all aside from the procrastination and impulsiveness, the former of which is also a large part of the Melancholic personality, and the latter just being a part of the AD(H)D that I also have.

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
Chris Tian said:
You never enjoy getting along with others? So you have no friends at all? Or a family member you love and whos company you enjoy?

You have at least some interest in social interactions (I assume, since you are active on this forum and social interaction is the sole purpose of a forum) or am I mistaken?

Please excuse my interogating you, its just that "everyday-psychology" and social dynamics and people basically are a fascination of mine and its very interesting how someone thinks who doesn't like other people at all. Especially since I cant even imagine that. I'm basically the exact oposite of you and can get along with almost everybody and enjoy that too. I cant even go one day without seeing other people or at least have a longer conversation.
There are acquaintances and people you have to interact with in order to move the day along. Social interaction, despite fulfilling tasks it was meant to without major issues, is nonetheless a bother (while some may be pleasant, they are tiring all the same). If a day can be spent without socializing, uttering a word, spoken or otherwise, it is generally spent as such. There may be bouts of activity, fallowed by a long silence.

The person, to whom your reply was intended seems to be somewhat more social however, at least here on the escapist.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Chris Tian said:
TehCookie said:
Hate in the same vain as in that song you hate or that game you hate, so yeah a strong dislike. A better way to put it wold be I don't care and really only hate people who think I should care about others because we're the same species. I can get along with others but I don't enjoy it and find acting tiresome.

I tried that whole friends thing and pretending to be normal and outgoing, it ended up making me depressed and exhausted. I do love my family, but everyone is mentally ill to some degree and we stick together because no one else would understand. No one in my family has many friends. Even then I don't need to talk to them daily.

The ideas of people are interesting, which is why I love games and any method of storytelling but you also don't have the hassle of actually dealing with them. On the internet it doesn't matter what someone far away thinks since they have no affect on your life. If you noticed Silverbeard's reaction and treating me like a serial killer I've gotten that reaction plenty of times before. It's a lot worse dealing with it in real life than on the internet.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
I'm a balance between Sanguine and Phlegmatic. I tend to drift slightly more Phlegmatic in real life and slightly more Sanguine while online. As many of you are probably already aware.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Plegmatic describes me to an absolute T, except I enjoy a good round of change every now and then.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
I got Phlegmatic witch I don't think is very accurate. Under all the theories, and I have looked at much more then one, the only personality type I have ever identify with well with was INTP. And I am not even sure on that due to most of these things end up being mostly about ego stroking.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I got sanguine.

"impulsive and pleasure-seeking"
Impulsive is right in most situations. Not sure about pleasure seeking.

"sociable and charismatic"
I certainly don;t perceive myself that way.

"enjoy social gatherings, making new friends and tend to be boisterous"
Nope.

"quite creative and often daydream"
This is certainly applicable. I do enjoy anything that allows me to express some measure of creativity, and I drew all the time in school. Over the past handful of years my daydreams have turned to nightmares though.

"some alone time is crucial for those of this temperament"
This one is so on the money it's a bit eerie. My boyfriend works nights on the weekends, 7-7 and while I love him very much, this time is extremely important to me

"sensitive, compassionate and thoughtful"
Sensitive...yeah. Overly so. Sometimes I feel like I lack any compassion at all. I've actually curbed my thinking over time since all I ever seem to think anymore are bad thoughts.

"struggle with following tasks all the way through, are chronically late, and tend to be forgetful and sometimes a little sarcastic"
Definitely to the first one. There's no telling how many modules I've started in the Neverwinter Nights toolset and never finished. Also explains why I can never seem to come up with a structured song when I play drums.
Chronically late. Well not chronically, but it does happen more than I'd care for it to. Sometimes I feel like time is disconnected from me. Sometimes it just feels like I'm on another planet.
I wasn't really sarcastic at all until coming out of my shell socially and meeting my boyfriend. He's very sarcastic and it's beginning to assimilate with my own mannerisms.

"when they pursue a new hobby, they lose interest as soon as it ceases to be engaging or fun"
Holy shit this right here. Mostly just an elaboration on the struggling to finish tasks thing but man this is awfully specific.

"very much people persons"
Nope. I mean, I can bullshit with random strangers, but that's not me they are talking to. Not the real version of me. They're talking to a suit I put on when I leave the front door.

"talkative and not shy"
This depends. New people, I can be quiet around. People who know me and that I know very well though I am very comfortable with talking quite a bit.

"an almost shameless nature"
For the most part I'd agree with this.

"They have no lack of confidence"
Depends, but for the most part I'd say I have a self confidence issue.

--That was a bit more insightful and accurate than I thought it might be, thank you OP. : )

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Hm, I got sanguine.
I'd like to say that's accurate, but you're the worst judge of your own character.
It's funny, the end of the description calls them extroverts and the Briggs-Myers test said I was an introvert.
Oh well.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I'm a lazy, melancholic type, but the test perceived me as phlegmatic. Gotta say the test is too over-simplified though. Four vague descriptions of socially acceptable personalities is probably too few and inaccurate of how humans work.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I tested phlegmatic, but I'd like to see by what degree, considering I'm one of those people who breaks the Meyers-Briggs (INTP/ISTP/INTJ/ISTJ in equal measure... or just IT).

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
So, I'm a Phlegmatic, and honestly I thought I would be a Melancholic.

Close enough I suppose, but it would make sense since I'm really laid back and calm. Would explain why I stay out of the flame-y stuff here since apparently I like to watch the world forums burn. :D

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Test came up as Melancholic.
Which isn't surprising, I knew that before.
The general description is probably a better description of me than I could give. And I wouldn't be charitable enough to give myself such a description.