Poll: The Great Mythrandia

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
I remember back in the time of users like Hubilub and the threads he and his pack of friends made basically to go on about how amazing they were.

My favourite threads to see however, were (if I recall correctly) the threads by JimmyBassatti

I might have his name wrong and as far as I know, he's been long banned. But his threads went on for long, long times, with pictures of mogwai and shouts of "Blood for the blood god", and they were all centered around making a sandwich.

Also, I don't recall the user, but I do remember this gif as an avatar:

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
SirBryghtside said:
Quaxar said:
Huh. Well I actually checked and tried looking up his profile to confirm it myself but I couldn't even find it so I concluded he must have been removed. I'd have missed his threads dearly.
Let's celebrate with the gif!
http://i.imgur.com/jumwoPz.gif
I'm finding the fact that people are getting banned for this more funny than I should.

Behold, the first known instance of the EternalNothingness vs. Escapist gif:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.399397.16374705
What. The. Fuck.

Well now, this just adds a whole new level of hypocrisy.

EDIT: That said, looking back, it doesn't look like anyone used to receive warnings for it, mods or not.
So something in the rules has changed recently, by the looks of it.

EDIT2: Wait, he wasn't a mod back then? Okay, I didn't know. Forget I said anything.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
The title is the tantalizing "Is my stance offensive at all? (Gay Rights Topic)."
I actually remember his last post.
Context is OP basically said he didn't give a shit about whether or not gay people have rights so Zeel called him a spineless moron for not having an opinion on basic human rights.
Nice sentiment, but god damn that guy made everything seem aggressive.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
geez. there's a name i haven't seen in forever. i didn't even recognize it until you started to describe it. then it all came flooding back. i suppose they were one of those characters that leave a lasting impression.
i won't/can't list my memories of this place. there's too much filed away, and even if it's there, it doesn't get recalled unless it's required. otherwise, it may as well not be there.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Launcelot111 said:
After I read his first ever post (a massive event about how he "beat" Asheron's Call or something) and everyone was supportive and completely talking around his obvious craziness
I had to take a week off from internet usage after reading getting brainmashed by that post.

----------
Furburt was also an.. interesting.. fellow. The others mentioned I'm not familiar with.

I vaguely remember a rather heated thread from way back in 2008/9 involving labyrinth, something-smurf and a few others that caused a number of regulars to either ragequit the forums or get permabanned.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Megalodon said:
I think it was his tendancy to insult the intelligence of people who disagreed with him that resulted in mod wrath. The post he was banned for was during the a debate about the Adria Richards dongle incident earlier this year, in which he essentially said anyone who disagreed with him (he thought that the joking guys were 100% in the wrong) didn't have the intellectual capacity to have ever worked a job more professional than a fast food burger flipper. At least, that's what I think happened, it was a while ago.
Well, that sort of thing happens a lot. You get someone saying something horribly bigoted, and people who get angry with you are getting personal. "Don't be a jerk" is interpreted rather oddly by the mods.

For example, that use that went on and on about how he thinks gay people should be locked up in camps, unable to work or vote, and that he'd murder his daughter if she was a lesbian...people got modded for telling him he was a bad person.

If he'd done it a bit better, he could have toned it down a bit and not gotten modded himself.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
I don't remember the poster, but I do remember the surge of whirlpool related threads.
Tips to be remembered:
-Have controversial opinions
-Be good at arguing
-Post a lot
-Keep avatar/name the same

Of all the banned users, I still consider the biggest shame to be Danyal. Such a shame.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
thaluikhain said:
If he'd done it a bit better, he could have toned it down a bit and not gotten modded himself.
Some users are pretty good at this.

I remember a user in R&P ('family lover' or something?) who posted some incredibly offensive things about homosexuals, and everyone ELSE got modded instead of them.

They did eventually get banned though, so they're perhaps not the best example of someone capable of getting other people modded while avoiding mod action themselves.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
IceForce said:
thaluikhain said:
Some users are pretty good at this.

I remember a user in R&P ('family lover' or something?) who posted some incredibly offensive things about homosexuals, and everyone ELSE got modded instead of them.

They did eventually get banned though, so they're perhaps not the best example of someone capable of getting other people modded while avoiding mod action themselves.
Oh, pro_family_lover, better known as piffle?

Yeah, I remember that...came back with a new account after getting banned as well.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, though, this problem is hardly unique to this forum. Someone being a bigot is very often less annoying for many people than someone else pointing this out and saying something should be done.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I don't know who this person is... Perhaps they were posting when I went away from the forums that time.

Anyway, the problem seems to be that some people need to relax and stop taking everyone so seriously. Some users are putting on an obvious persona and people seem to think they're being really legit, like anyone in the world would actually act like that.
I never had a problem with Max, we talked outside of Escapist and he seemed like a decent guy. He may have been a twat on here sometimes but everyone's got a boiling point.

Same with Daystar Everyone thinks he's awesome but he just sucks and smells like gone off tuna he's become notable because I think people are taking his silly personality seriously when he's really quite lovely.

There's a few users who are a bit iffy on the forums but we've got talking and I've been pleasantly surprised by how normal they come across in general conversation.

Well I hope some people on here are putting on a front because internet. I know I've seen some things said that would NOT be said in real life, in front of people.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
I look back on the whirlpool days and the banned with fondness I miss max34 and vault and others I cant remeber his name but he was always good for a laugh zeels short comeback was surprizingly fun and I found myself agreeing with what he said I miss all the drowing threads better then this sexism thing we have going on Heck anyone remeber the dereailed thread where everyone just posted gifs of everything

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Fappy said:
Lionsfan said:
I found the site in 2009, and joined in 2010, so I caught pretty much the tailend of Maxthereaper, Furburt, Hubilub, etc. etc.

Since then, I think Daystar has been the only poster with a "cult" around him, and even that's fading away.
I infiltrated Daystar's cult and destroyed it from the inside. He's easily seduced, it turns out.
Your avatar makes this all kinds of horrible.

Also, I kind of miss Eternal Nothingness. He was mental but entertaining.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I do not remember this person. Many have come and gone in the years I have been here. The memorable ones are usually not the nice ones unfortunately.

"Everything has it's time and everything dies"
-The Doctor

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I joined 4 years ago and am still not notable. I don't think I'm crazy enough. :'(

Anyway, the most notable Escapists I've ever encountered are Daystar, therootofallevil, and Vault101. Mainly because I usually see them posting on many topics, so the names became familiar.

Dec 14, 2009
TimeLord said:
I do not remember this person. Many have come and gone in the years I have been here. The memorable ones are usually not the nice ones unfortunately.

-The Doctor

I'm not nice?

T^T

Timey Wimey, you cut me deeply.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Blunderboy said:
umm, he hasn't gone anywhere, and he hasn't been banned.

I'm not sure why people keep getting this wrong...

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
TimeLord said:

-The Doctor

I'm not nice?

T^T

I said usually. You are obviously the exception that proves the rule needs changing.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
IceForce said:
Blunderboy said:
umm, he hasn't gone anywhere, and he hasn't been banned.

I'm not sure why people keep getting this wrong...
I know. I just haven't happened to come across any of his threads in a while.

Dec 14, 2009
TimeLord said:
Daystar Clarion said:
TimeLord said:

-The Doctor

I'm not nice?

T^T

I said usually. You are obviously the exception that proves the rule needs changing.
Haha, yayuh!

Change all the rules!