Poll: The latest Thief game, reactions?

McKinsey

Nov 14, 2011
Lictor Face said:
I find the reaction curious. The Thief franchise always had a fairly close knit and loyal fan base. To have a remake of Thief should be every fan's dream especially since the last Thief game was what? Four years ago? Five?
Why should it be? We have our Thieves. We don't need a poorly made imitation, no matter how "new" it is.
I try to stay positive about this upcoming game, but if the recent Hitman is any indication, hardcore stealth fans are in for a disappointment.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Lictor Face said:
It looks good. But it kind of annoys me that a great deal of the old fanbase seems to be throwing in the towel for the series over the Les Miserables setting and new Garret voice actor ( lol )
And it seems a great deal of the new fanbase is only going "lol people are dumb for only ever not liking the new voice actor". Works both ways, you know.

Lictor Face said:
To have a remake of Thief should be every fan's dream
You're not serious, right?

Lictor Face said:
Its every fan's dream to have their favoured franchise rebooted.
Wait - you are? Well, hello, I'm a fan of Thief and other things, and I'm here to deliver the following message: fuck reboots. Yeah. I really really dislike them, probably not all, but saying it's "my dream" for a work to be rebooted is so just damn wrong. No, I don't want reboots, if it was up to me, there wouldn't be any reboots ever, in my opinion, reboots are what break a series.

Lictor Face said:
If a Neverwinter Nights 3 was made, you'd bet that people around the world will be squealing.
Erm...why would that be a reboot again? "Sequel", you're thinking of "sequel" and somehow equated that to a reboot.
Lictor Face said:
The Madman said:
-No Hammerites
-No Pagans
We don't know for certain. And I am pretty sure none of the old Thief game trailers showed either faction to a great degree. Its probably is still in the air at the moment.
Or, as was show before, that's wrong. Also, the game is coming out in approximately half a year or so - you're telling me they still don't know what's going to be in it?

Lictor Face said:
The Madman said:
-Less Steampunk
Imo, the latest incarnation seems a lot more steam punk. The bow in particular, and the steam industry background setting. Like a industrial Les Miserables.
Nope, it's less. Thief was reeking of steampunk, especially Thief 2.

Lictor Face said:
The Madman said:
-Increased focus on 'realistic' setting
Is that so much of a bad thing? Not like the Les Miserables setting is commonly done anyway.
Yeah, if it's going to be called Thief, why...is it something different? Surely, if I want to play more Thief I'd want...surprise- Thief! If I wanted to play something different, I wouldn't play Thief. The concept isn't that hard, I think, why you require the explanation is beyond me.

Lictor Face said:
The Madman said:
-Game rewards killing with points
Not sure why everyone is getting their jimmies in a twist. It will most likely work similar to how experience worked in Far Cry 3, and I don't recall anyone complaining about how it affected gameplay. Or it could be simply an alternative currency system that unlocks higher tiers of equipment or approaches ( Say, masquerading as a servant for a limited time, or sewer infiltration ). But then I don't know enough about it to be certain either.
The fact that you cannot comprehend why that is bad...speaks a lot. OK, something that's been hammerred time and time again in Thief games is that good thieves DON'T KILL. Play on the highest difficulty and YOU LOSE IF YOU KILL ANYBODY. Rewards are THE EXACT OPPOSITE of the very heart of the series. Also, at the core was exploration and doing what you can with the tools you can find. A bit like MacGyver.

Lictor Face said:
The Madman said:
-No jumping except in context sensitive areas
Honestly I have no idea how that is bad. Context sensitive areas makes jumping easier and less frustrating, I'm thinking assasin's creed style. Or mirror's edge.
Except these allow you to jump at any time? Also - exploration and stuff I mentioned above

Lictor Face said:
Oh and for the record.

Thief is a reboot. You must dismiss the notion that it, for some reason, must honor and hold dear all the principles of what LGS did. That's total (blankety blank blank).

Thief is not obligated in any way to cater to the small minority of Die-hard fans. Quite the contrary,. it is obligated to break from what is expected. It is expected and obligated to deviate from everything the first 3 games were about. It is expected and obligated to throw out the rule book.
Wait, so you're telling me that Thief was rebooted to NOT get the old fans back but...because reasons. no, really, how does it work? Surely, it's brand recognition they are going for, that's why they have the old stuff in, how exactly would it make sense to NOT go with the brand? Also, how is a supposed new entry in an old franchise obliged to be different? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a new franchise the one obliged to not be like the old one? I really need a good explanation how you think it works.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Short Answer: It's going to suck.

Long Answer: Everyone working on it doesn't seem to have a clue as to what the Thief series was about and seem to going on their own tangent (ie the only real link between the older games and this one is the name of the antagonist). As others have said, Thief was about stealth, on the hardest difficulty if you killed someone you failed. So trailers showing a 'Garret in name only' getting bonus points for scoring a headshot are a little worrying.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Lictor Face said:
It looks good. But it kind of annoys me that a great deal of the old fanbase seems to be throwing in the towel for the series over the Les Miserables setting and new Garret voice actor ( lol )

I find the reaction curious. The Thief franchise always had a fairly close knit and loyal fan base. To have a remake of Thief should be every fan's dream especially since the last Thief game was what? Four years ago? Five?

Oh I would LOVE to have the old Garret voice back, but I'm not so adamant on it that I'll trash one of my treasured franchise games just because of THAT.
Yeah, the problem with that logic about "every fan should be dreaming of a remake" is that this implies the remake is good. But by now we've seen many many examples of "remakes don't mean better, or even as good as the original". Taking something someone loves very strongly, and not giving it the proper respect they feel it deserves, THAT is where the anger and frustration comes from the fan base.

I personally LOVE the Thief series, and consider them in my top games of all time list, easily. I however don't freak out about a reboot, or if they make some changes. If the game is good in itself, and holds true to the core aspects of the Thief series that made them great, I'll be happy. I don't even mind a different voice actor, I've heard the clips of the new guy, and he seems like he will be just fine. If he gets the TONE and WIT of Garrett down, then I don't care that he's a different actor.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
TheSniperFan said:
2. The powers added to the game but...
...some of them were really unbalanced. The teleport and the "watch-through-walls" powers to be more precise.
Erm, yeah, some were really unbalanced...as opposed to the others which were just unbalanced. Or shit. But I'm pretty sure it's still unbalanced shit. Seriously, the powers just broke the game and turned it from a cakewalk to...even more of a cakewalk. Here are my thoughts on them

DoPo said:
I dunno, I found that there are two kinds of skills in Dishonored - meh and overpowered. I already did two playthroughs trying all of them, so I'm kind of burned out otherwise I would have done gone for the "Mostly flesh and steel" achievement. here is a breakdown:

Blink 2 - that's actually more balanced, it tends towards overpowered but it's also meh.
Dark Vision 1 - OP. A legit wallhack plus it shows you the cone of vision of NPCs. Their vision is, like, really bad, knowing how better to avoid it is sort of an overkill.
Dark Vision 2 - wa-a-a-ay more OP. Engage uber easy mode.
Devouring Swarm I - meh. It can distract guards, I suppose. Or you can use other abilities, plus the environment, plus your skills. Sort of redundant. Or you can kill people...that that you can't, you know, stab them or shoot them in the head. Gets rid of corpses, too. If you really need to get rid of corpses that badly, either Shadowkill would be more effective, or you're going to high chaos anyway, so you won't care. Finally, you can use the rats for possession. Yeah... about that - there are enough rats, really, unless you need some in a pinch...in which case you don't need rats.
Devouring Swarm II - the above but it costs 4 more runes.
Possession I there have been about 0 occasions when I've needed to possess something. It's an OK skill but ot as necessary. High manacost made me not use it as much.
Possession II - from meh to OP. Possess somebody, walk him to a secluded place, exit and stab/choke them. Done. At the party, I killed everybody using that tactic. I even had the bone charm that let me drink water to regain mana, so I just possessed them and led them to the toled, then dispatched them and filled my mana.
Bend Time I - meh. Helps you attack, I suppose. Also may help with avoiding attention. Whatever, it doesn't help that much.
Bend Time II - again, from meh to OP. why would you fear fights, when you can just snap your fingers and everybody dies. Or you snap your fingers and disappear. Also, you're virtually undetectable and immune to all security. Easy mode - engage
Windblast I - sort of OK. You can break down doors, as if that was ever needed - you can just go and get the key, too. Or use a rat, if you're into that. Knoocking down foes is OK but that assumes you regularly take on groups of people. It's not like it's hard to evade them. Or sneak by and kills them. Heck, Blink can be used to dispatch groups of foes.
Windblast II - more meh, at least in my experience enemies sometimes survived the impact. Also (not level 2 related but in general) the windblast has very weird way of knocking people around - I was standing behind two people who were facing a cliff, and try as I might I couldn't fling both of them in it. They were about 50 centimetres away from each other, well the edge was about a couple of metres away however, it should have been possible.
Vitality I - big deal or "big deal". Depends if you get in fights a lot or not. OK, it's more like "big deal" or OK-ish. It's 1 rune so it's excused to not really be that impressive.
Vitality II now that, should have been a rune as well. The regeneration is the same regeneration as with mana - when you take damage, there is a tiny sliver of health that would come back if you don't take more damage. That's all. Potions are plentiful, fights and damage are easy to avoid, and the amount of health you'll save up from the regeneration is not significant.
Blood Thirsty I - actually, the only skill I never tried. Both my playthroughs I did stealthy characters - one did stealth massacres (kill everybody trying to not be seen) the other one was a pacifist ghost.
Blood Thirsty II - see above, although I'm thinking it's meh - it only makes fights marginally simpler, you can dispatch foes with Blink anyway.
Agility I - the double jump is awkward but it helps with blinking on high ledges. Not sure, but I think Blink 2 should be able to take you anywhere anyway.
Agility II - I never noticed the difference.
Shadow Kill I - if you want to cheese the game...
Shadow Kill II - if you need that, you don't care for bodies, so you don't need it. Sheesh, a skill that makes itself redundant, how 'bout that.
But probably the worst thing about the powers I found is how nobody seems to be bothered by them. You have Corvo CARRYING AROUND A HEARTH WITH STUFF IN IT and characters just see you and go "Yo 'sup". OK, I can asume for a moment that they can't see the heart for some reason - maybe it's invisible to them or obscured to mortal sight or something, but they can clearly notice the rest of the powers, like teleportation and stuff. They do give out a gasp when you blink but...that's it. Nobody goes "Corvo, are you feeling OK? We just saw you disappear and then reappear somewhere else. Erm, have you been taking your vitamins?"

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
DoPo said:
Lictor Face said:
And it seems a great deal of the new fanbase is only going "lol people are dumb for only ever not liking the new voice actor". Works both ways, you know.

Lictor Face said:
To have a remake of Thief should be every fan's dream
You're not serious, right?

Lictor Face said:
Its every fan's dream to have their favoured franchise rebooted.
Wait - you are? Well, hello, I'm a fan of Thief and other things, and I'm here to deliver the following message: fuck reboots. Yeah. I really really dislike them, probably not all, but saying it's "my dream" for a work to be rebooted is so just damn wrong. No, I don't want reboots, if it was up to me, there wouldn't be any reboots ever, in my opinion, reboots are what break a series.

Lictor Face said:
If a Neverwinter Nights 3 was made, you'd bet that people around the world will be squealing.
Erm...why would that be a reboot again? "Sequel", you're thinking of "sequel" and somehow equated that to a reboot.
Lictor Face said:
The Madman said:
-No Hammerites
-No Pagans
We don't know for certain. And I am pretty sure none of the old Thief game trailers showed either faction to a great degree. Its probably is still in the air at the moment.
Or, as was show before, that's wrong. Also, the game is coming out in approximately half a year or so - you're telling me they still don't know what's going to be in it?

Lictor Face said:
The Madman said:
-Less Steampunk
Imo, the latest incarnation seems a lot more steam punk. The bow in particular, and the steam industry background setting. Like a industrial Les Miserables.
Nope, it's less. Thief was reeking of steampunk, especially Thief 2.

Lictor Face said:
The Madman said:
-Increased focus on 'realistic' setting
Is that so much of a bad thing? Not like the Les Miserables setting is commonly done anyway.
Yeah, if it's going to be called Thief, why...is it something different? Surely, if I want to play more Thief I'd want...surprise- Thief! If I wanted to play something different, I wouldn't play Thief. The concept isn't that hard, I think, why you require the explanation is beyond me.

Lictor Face said:
The Madman said:
-Game rewards killing with points
Not sure why everyone is getting their jimmies in a twist. It will most likely work similar to how experience worked in Far Cry 3, and I don't recall anyone complaining about how it affected gameplay. Or it could be simply an alternative currency system that unlocks higher tiers of equipment or approaches ( Say, masquerading as a servant for a limited time, or sewer infiltration ). But then I don't know enough about it to be certain either.
The fact that you cannot comprehend why that is bad...speaks a lot. OK, something that's been hammerred time and time again in Thief games is that good thieves DON'T KILL. Play on the highest difficulty and YOU LOSE IF YOU KILL ANYBODY. Rewards are THE EXACT OPPOSITE of the very heart of the series. Also, at the core was exploration and doing what you can with the tools you can find. A bit like MacGyver.

Lictor Face said:
The Madman said:
-No jumping except in context sensitive areas
Honestly I have no idea how that is bad. Context sensitive areas makes jumping easier and less frustrating, I'm thinking assasin's creed style. Or mirror's edge.
Except these allow you to jump at any time? Also - exploration and stuff I mentioned above

Lictor Face said:
Oh and for the record.

Thief is a reboot. You must dismiss the notion that it, for some reason, must honor and hold dear all the principles of what LGS did. That's total (blankety blank blank).

Thief is not obligated in any way to cater to the small minority of Die-hard fans. Quite the contrary,. it is obligated to break from what is expected. It is expected and obligated to deviate from everything the first 3 games were about. It is expected and obligated to throw out the rule book.
Wait, so you're telling me that Thief was rebooted to NOT get the old fans back but...because reasons. no, really, how does it work? Surely, it's brand recognition they are going for, that's why they have the old stuff in, how exactly would it make sense to NOT go with the brand? Also, how is a supposed new entry in an old franchise obliged to be different? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a new franchise the one obliged to not be like the old one? I really need a good explanation how you think it works.
Oh man you mean all equipment you get MUST be orientated based on KILLING PEOPLE?!?!?! You mean an upgraded night vision eye or smoke bombs ISN'T CONSIDERED NEW EQUIPMENT AT ALL? RLY? OGM.

Also, the old Garret voice was of course superior. But I WONT discount the game PURELY JUST BECAUSE I can't have old Garret back. There are some things more important. I don't know. Say gameplay?

Please don't assume I am an idiot. I would not have enjoyed Thief if I ran around shanking everyone in the kidneys like a mugger.

Fine, I admit reboot was the wrong word for a sequel. I get it. Now stop waving it everywhere.

Also, if you can't give a response which doesn't bother on condescension or implied insults, don't post it at all and PM it to me instead.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Lictor Face said:
Oh man you mean all equipment you get MUST be orientated based on KILLING PEOPLE?!?!?!
Your words, not mine - I only went off by what you said.

Lictor Face said:
You mean an upgraded night vision eye or smoke bombs ISN'T CONSIDERED NEW EQUIPMENT AT ALL? RLY? OGM.
And this is something I never said. Well done - straw man conquered!

Lictor Face said:
Also, the old Garret voice was of course superior. But I WONT discount the game PURELY JUST BECAUSE I can't have old Garret back. There are some things more important. I don't know. Say gameplay?
Notice how I only spend a single sentence on this just to point out how ridiculous you sounded. Notice how I have never, ever talked about the voice acting any other time (you can go through my post history, too - I assure you - I haven't)? Notice how you're the only one of the two of us going "But stop being hung up on the VA"? Yeah - straw man conquered.

Lictor Face said:
Please don't assume I am an idiot.
I haven't. That straw man is getting his ass owned I see.

Lictor Face said:
Fine, I admit reboot was the wrong word for a sequel. I get it. Now stop waving it everywhere.
Goes both ways. You used reboot so many times, I couldn't think anything else. If you meant "not reboot" then don't use that one word over and over again. Or waving it everywhere, as the case may be.

Lictor Face said:
Also, if you can't give a response which doesn't bother on condescension or implied insults, don't post it at all and PM it to me instead.
Yeah - I'd also advise you to not post stuff that's insulting. You laughed at people because they apparently didn't like the VA. That's a gross oversimplification of the criticism, and you damn well shouldn't do it. Not to mention that if that really is your criticism, then you're aiming it against

"Not in the face again"

Poor guy.

So stop with the condescending and insulting tone you use first then work on not misrepresenting others. Because that's kind of insulting in of itself, too.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Do we really have to go through this song and dance every time anything gets rebooted ever?

Fans of the old games are mostly overwhelmingly going to hate the "new direction" of a rebooted title, people interested in the new title because they'd never played the old ones are going to get exasperated with the old fans shouting about how it's definitely going to suck months before it even releases and how everyone who is excited for it is stupid because the old games were much better, and people like me are just going to get exasperated with both sides because they're gorram video games and it's not the end of the world if a developer slaps a name onto something for brand recognition.

If you're subscribing to the belief of "I don't like the look of it, so I'm not going to play it" then good on you. But if you're one of the people crusading about how it's ruining your childhood memories and how everyone involved in the development should explode into flames for crushing what made the IP good in the first place (may be a small exaggeration, but it's the point that matters more than the imagery in this case), you should reexamine your priorities.

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
It's just another obvious display of the devs wanting to make their own game but since the publisher won't let them they're going to dredge up an old and long dead series so they can 'reboot' it.

I'm not even a big fan of the Thief series, but what I've seen so far of these is that it looks like a not quite as good Dishonored. No thanks, I already have Dishonored, I'll just play it again instead.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
The thing is I don't need a big fat XP counter on my screen constantly, not even to encourage me to stay stealthy. In fact, I don't want it there at all.

As long as the game isn't built around it and they give me the option to hide it away somewhere in a menu I can ignore instead of having it pop up with +10 everytime I fart, I couldn't care less about it though.
Oh certainly, I agree with you. I was merely pointing out that the existence of the XP system itself might not be as problematic as some make it out to be. In fact, it might serve to reinforce the stealthy approach by motivating those players that only go for high rewards to remain stealthy.

Garrett

Jul 12, 2012
The problem is, this is not a Thief game and they're calling it Thief while sticking a "reboot" sticker next to it. Just because it's a reboot, doesn't mean you can throw everything out the window and start anew. Oh, excuse me, almost everything but hooded dude with a bow, crawling in the shadows, who happens to be named Garrett, is not enough to call the game Thief. So basically, this...
DoPo said:

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I just wanted to make a final point before this topic slips into oblivion, this is for those like Lictor Face and shrekfan246.

I'm not angry about the new Thief. The series series had a great run, it had a satisfying beginning, middle, and end. If ever there was a point at which it's safe to try something new with the series, to take it in a new direction, this was it. Fans of the series like myself had a conclusion, the Thief series as it existed as a trilogy is over, and while Thief 3 certainly had its flaws it still managed to make for a solid finale in Garrett's story.

What I am is disappointed.

There are no other game quite like the original Thief series, neither in gameplay nor aesthetics or story. Visually it's always had a distinct style and even today its sound design is some of the best in the gaming industry.

So hopefully you'll understand when I say I find it sad that there's not going to be a new generation of gamers which will get to experience that. They wont get to experience it because the new game looks to be trying to please everyone, and in so doing taking away a good deal of what made the Thief series so memorable. It was never just about hiding in shadows and shooting a bow, it was about the unique setting with its quirky characters. It was about these massive Hammerite cathedrals filled with the sounds of machinery and fire, it was about the creepy Pagan ruins filled with barely heard whispering voices and supernatural phenomenon. And it was about gameplay that didn't hold my hand, but instead gave me the tools I would need to succeed and asked me to do the best I could and have fun. Finally it was about the creeping, oozing atmosphere that filled every level from the Haunted Hammerite Cathedrals to the City Bank and the Shalebridge Cradle, and the quirky protagonist insane enough to bring us there.

I mean once again just look at the original introduction:

There's nothing like it. Now here's the newest trailer for the new Thief game:

That is a very cool trailer, no denying it. Slick animations, neat setting and time-period, fun premise. But it's also just not Thief... there's no mystery to it. No lingering sense of unease and danger. Visually it looks stunning, but also incredibly generic. Like every other gritty medieval game out there, of which there are quite a few.

Same goes for what we've seen of the gameplay and heard of the story. It's intriguing, but it's not Thief.

And that disappoints me because the thought of a modern Thief game, matching modern technology with the aesthetics and style of the original games is just incredibly cool. God, to think of how amazing sections like the haunted Pagan forest could be with modern visuals and sound. Or to see the whirring gears and insides of the Mechanists crazed steampunk servants.

The thought of such a lore-rich setting with such distinct style today is stunning, but sadly that's just not what we're seeing with the new game.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, that all these previews and trailers prove to be deceptive, that the new Thief game really does live up to its ancestry. But I've also been through this song & dance enough times to know that as amazing as that would be, it's unlikely to happen.

Thus disappointed.

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
DoPo said:
Lictor Face said:
Oh man you mean all equipment you get MUST be orientated based on KILLING PEOPLE?!?!?!
Your words, not mine - I only went off by what you said.

Lictor Face said:
You mean an upgraded night vision eye or smoke bombs ISN'T CONSIDERED NEW EQUIPMENT AT ALL? RLY? OGM.
And this is something I never said. Well done - straw man conquered!

Lictor Face said:
Notice how I only spend a single sentence on this just to point out how ridiculous you sounded. Notice how I have never, ever talked about the voice acting any other time (you can go through my post history, too - I assure you - I haven't)? Notice how you're the only one of the two of us going "But stop being hung up on the VA"? Yeah - straw man conquered.

Lictor Face said:
Please don't assume I am an idiot.
I haven't. That straw man is getting his ass owned I see.

Lictor Face said:
Goes both ways. You used reboot so many times, I couldn't think anything else. If you meant "not reboot" then don't use that one word over and over again. Or waving it everywhere, as the case may be.

Lictor Face said:
Yeah - I'd also advise you to not post stuff that's insulting. You laughed at people because they apparently didn't like the VA. That's a gross oversimplification of the criticism, and you damn well shouldn't do it. Not to mention that if that really is your criticism, then you're aiming it against

"Not in the face again"

Poor guy.

So stop with the condescending and insulting tone you use first then work on not misrepresenting others. Because that's kind of insulting in of itself, too.

Straw man? Really? I'm just going to disregard everything you said. At first I thought you were adding some valid points. I guess I thought wrong. Maybe I accidentally insulted your mother by accident during my first post thus the anger. I apologise then.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I'm stepping into a knife fight here, apparently, but here I go. From what I saw at E3, I'd have to agree that it looked like a mod/re-skin of Dishonored, and not very faithful to the originals. Granted, I've only played an hour or 2 of the first two Thief games (I know, I know), but it just looked like a confused game lacking in direction, or a paint-by-numbers affair made by focus groups and the sales of Dishonored and the new Hitman. But I don't know these insane details about Thief to have that much of a dog in the fight, so there you go.

I voted "crash and burn", only because it appears to have pissed off the original fans and isn't offering much that people haven't gotten better from Dishonored and for less cash.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
I'm a huge fan of the first two Thief games, played and beat them both on the hardest difficulty (don't kill anyone else you lose + extra objectives). Had a ton of fun.

Played Thief 3: Deadly Shadows. Great game. Kept all the parts of the originals, improved the story, improved the graphics, and the Shalebridge Cradle was one of my favorite levels of all time. The hub world was also very nice. It was a true "modernization" of the series in a way that kept the spirit of the originals. It had it's problems.

I'll reserve judgment of Thief 4 until it comes out. Doesn't look promising, though, so I won't be preordering. Regardless, I had just assumed that the Thief series was dead by now anyways, so if this game fails, I can safely ignore it like I ignored Command and Conquer 4 and Mass Effect 3.

Eidos did a good job of 'rebooting' Deus Ex while keeping what made the original great even if they did simply rehash the entire plotline. They also did a great job of the Tomb Raider reboot even if it was simply an Uncharted wannabe. Thief 4 has hope, but I hope it won't be some hybrid of Dishonored and Assassin's Creed. Garrett is a Thief, not an assassin.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
If Dishonoured hadn't come out, I'd probably be somewhat excited.

When I saw Deus Ex's Human Revolution's trailers/gameplay I thought, best case scenario we get a game as good as the original, worst case I get a game where I get to play a cyborg with swords built into his arms. There was a win/win.

However, I have Dishonoured and the original thief games. There is nothing in this new game that interests me. And plenty that repulses me as a fan of the originals. And I'm not even a mega fan or anything, I usually killed a few guards in all my playthroughs. People keep mentioning the voice actor, so I'll use that as an example.

Its iconic, there's no getting around it. I first played the demo of Thief 2 that came with the graphics card on my families first PC. So that voice is always going to be Garret to me. Now I can adapt, and I know that these things can change over time, actors retire or maybe they have commitments that mean they can't return to roles. But they're is no harm in asking. That's what annoyed me about the change in VA's. They wanted mo-cap, so they wanted a different actor. That's their business as developers. But why should I, as a fan of the original games, who just want's more thieving, more taffing and more Hammer/Mechanist/Pagan/Keeper shenanigans, respect what they want, when they ignore what I want.
(Note: I say what I want because I'm not egotistical enough to claim to speak for all fans.)

If they want to do something different with Thief, they have to prove to people that their new version is worth getting. So far, the evidence is not in their favour.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Hardcore Thief fans I can understand not liking the direction that they have taken this reboot/remake, whatever you call it.

I understand that a lot of changes will anger the Thief fans, such as slow motion or the fact that you can battle multiple guards and live (unlike previous titles) and "focus" to help you see important things in the world will be in the detriment of the game. Mainstreaming it may be a bad choice for the devs here but hey that's just me.

I usually look on the bright side and say: "Hey! It's a Thief game so I'll play it." regardless how it will be changed.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
It just doesn't really look or seem to play like the thief games from what I've seen of gameplay, I don't know why developers feel the need to turn every great stealth game into action games with stealth options. There are plenty of action games already out there and very few decent stealth games (the only decent all out stealth game I've played recently is Mark of the Ninja) knocking about the market these days.

All developers do by making stealth game action games is alienate the original fan base and that saddens me greatly.