Poll: The Manliness Conundrum

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Radoh said:
Zorpheus said:
A description of what this "Man's law" is might help.

Though I already pretty much have an answer: Being "Manly" is a stereotype perpetuated by other men, and I see no need to follow it in any context.
I'd answer that if I could, sadly I have no idea what it is they were talking about though.
I'm pretty sure it refers to something from spike tv. Never watched it much, all the good shows on that station are reruns, but the commercials are funny as hell. Try youtube.

Also, manliness is a non-quantitative, subjective descriptor. Kinda like badass, it's not from following any rules, or from rejecting them entirely, it comes from being manly. I don't really care, I try to be responsible, not manly.

imperialwar

Jun 17, 2008
i think i might be entering this debate as the first to actually say i'm a manly man. I kind of blurred out on the 4th and 5th page as a lot of people were just rehashing the same stuff.

So the things i consider that make me a manly man.

1. Im not afraid to do the right thing and stop people from doing the wrong thing ( breaking the law namely or hurting other people, or themselves for that matter ).
2. If an old lady / man in the shops looks like she / he wants something of the top shelf i approach her / him and ask her / him if she / he would like the item taken down for her / him. As in actively go out of my way to ASK.
3. I know CPR / GFA and can help save someone's life.
4. I can offer advice to any question asked, i know a little about pretty much everything and there isnt much that i cant answer by drawing on the experiences of my life. At the moment i am councilling both my own mother and my wifes mum and dad to help them with their issues, as an example.
5. I can hunt, kill, prep and cook my own food. I cook better then most restaurants and cook for my wife everyday. Not because i dont wnat her to cook, but because i want to provide for her.
6. I can talk to my wife about anything, and arent afraid to cry if something is exceedingly sad or stressful. We have been together 14 years without any massive argument leading to one of us leaving the house for any length of time.

I guess when i look at these things, being a man to me is entering a room and making a difference to peoples lives. Not dominating them by any means but helping ease their burdens, whatever they may be. Live a life worthy of a legacy, be honourable unto death.

iDoom46

Dec 31, 2010
I really don't fully understand the concept of "manliness". A "man's man" can be anything from a suave lady-killer, to a burly lumberjack.

And in this day-in-age, manliness has taken on an even newer, more absurd form. Anybody remember Robot Unicorn Attack? Remember what people said? "What's wrong, you're not MAN enough to be comfortable playing a game with rainbow unicorns and faeries?"
Or Scrubs: "What's wrong? You can't handle pure unadulterated MAN LOVE? Its not gay, we're just man enough to share our feelings!"

So, in actuality, manliness has taken on a newer, more complex meaning that goes beyond the macho-man stereotype of yesteryear. Nowadays people who still cling to upholding the macho definition are seen as either being ironic or just hiding their insecurities. Unless, of course, you go completely over the top a-la Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

So, yeah, while I don't play, or even like FOOTBALL, or tear phonebooks in half with my bare hands, I suppose I consider myself a semi-manly man.
I occasionally shave with a pocket knive in lieu of a razor, I can kill a man with my bare hands if need be (black belt), I can survive on my own, I like death metal, and I'm comfortable enough with my sexuality to say I like show-tunes, the occasional cute/girly thing, and do other "gay" things, sometimes with my gay friends, without fear of ridicule.
That sounds pretty fucking manly to me.

Taldeer

Apr 15, 2009
Look at it from a Freudian perspective - really dumbed down and probably grossly over-simplified, but still: the father, the masculine principle is that which creates and enforces rules. It is the root and the catalyst for the development of the super-ego in children. The super-ego is that part of oneself which constantly reminds one of the rules and regulations, aspirations and ideal to which one should aspire, to which one should ascend, and this is a set of issues which arise with the application of authority. But authority is primarily the creator of rules, not the obeyer. So I would say, from a psychological perspective, that "that which is manly" primarily organizes reality according to its perception and plan. Basically, a man can do what ever he pleases as long as he's constantly aware of his choices and the way they impact on others and on himself. "Being manly" isn't supposed to be something according to a template which you just fill and you stop thinking about it. If you knock out a moose once in a while with your bare hands, doesn't automatically make you manly, in spite of the stereotype. It's awareness of your reality and the ability to act in opposition or in synergy with it, fully aware - that's the tricky part and that's what makes you manly.

On the other hand, no-one said this is a male specific thing, mind you. Women have super-egos to, they are subject to the "masculine principle" during psychological development just as much as boys.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Radoh said:
[HEADING=1]Women, for the purpose of this thread, please refrain from voting.
Your opinions are welcome, but I need the men's opinion.[/HEADING]
You know what time it is? Story Time!

So today at work (I work at a hardware store) two men walk up to the counter in the middle of an argument. The burlier guy was saying that you need to follow the "Man's law" in order to be considered manly, otherwise there isn't any real qualifier for it.
The smaller guy retorted however, that in order to be Manly, you can't allow yourself to be restricted by anything, Man law or no. That to restrict yourself from anything is to be considered a sign of weakness.
They then dragged me into the debate as a third party, but since they both seemed very angry I thought it was best to not get involved, so I said nothing and pretended they hadn't said anything.
This did get me thinking on the subject however, and I'd like to know how the opinions break down.
So, manly men of The Escapist, what is your choice?
I prefer the Bro Code, found here: http://www.thebrocode.co.uk/ Otherwise, my limitations are non-existent.

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/image?c=03AHJ_Vut_F2uyq0KYX-cli46aWbNUsrrcBUK_M8MhGm4VZI8HXRW0ZU8YgxTgjEEjMGmXggJwnLm7-l8gF6DW8SjhF-amRueJjDEcR3_8gYZHI4MiASZw_cheNqR8q9x_eR1_hNKGVr0_uznv8NtOE_h13i5aEJPgkg

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I consider myself the kind of guy that does whatever. I don't do things because I want to be considered manly. Consider me a ***** if it makes you happy, I just do things because I want to do them. Doesn't matter to me if those things are seen as manly or part of whatever damn law I guess we have now.