Poll: The Manliness Conundrum

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
[HEADING=1]Women, for the purpose of this thread, please refrain from voting.
Your opinions are welcome, but I need the men's opinion.[/HEADING]
You know what time it is? Story Time!

So today at work (I work at a hardware store) two men walk up to the counter in the middle of an argument. The burlier guy was saying that you need to follow the "Man's law" in order to be considered manly, otherwise there isn't any real qualifier for it.
The smaller guy retorted however, that in order to be Manly, you can't allow yourself to be restricted by anything, Man law or no. That to restrict yourself from anything is to be considered a sign of weakness.
They then dragged me into the debate as a third party, but since they both seemed very angry I thought it was best to not get involved, so I said nothing and pretended they hadn't said anything.
This did get me thinking on the subject however, and I'd like to know how the opinions break down.
So, manly men of The Escapist, what is your choice?

Zorpheus

Aug 19, 2009
A description of what this "Man's law" is might help.

Though I already pretty much have an answer: Being "Manly" is a stereotype perpetuated by other men, and I see no need to follow it in any context.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Zorpheus said:
A description of what this "Man's law" is might help.

Though I already pretty much have an answer: Being "Manly" is a stereotype perpetuated by other men, and I see no need to follow it in any context.
I'd answer that if I could, sadly I have no idea what it is they were talking about though.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
A real man is refined, yet badass.
They know both which fork to use for salad, and which fork to use for plucking out the eyes of their enemies.
Real men respect man law, and obey it.

^=ash=^

Sep 23, 2009
I would agree with the not restricting myself from anything. I'm secure enough in my manhood to enjoy the silly little things ... I suppose this is like the maturity argument to which one can respond:

xxx

Zorpheus

Aug 19, 2009
This is Man's Law according to urbandictionary.com. No idea if it was being used in the same context in your discussion or not:
"An unspoken, unwritten law, whereas one man will not expose another man's attempt to get action on the side. Ironically, one of the only ways to find out about said law, is to break it."

SPARTANXIII

Nov 24, 2009
Real men aren't afraid to do, say or watch ANYTHING.

Like my uncle said, right before climbing Everest in only his pants!

Ziggy

Jul 13, 2010
i say 50/50. to be manly there are som somethings you need to do, one of them it to not restrict yourself.

gabmed

Dec 11, 2009
Real man respect the only rule of Man Law: Not to abide to any rules.

In all seriousness, though, definition of such Man Law would be fairly appreciated, so that we are able to give a truthful unbiased opinion. Just sayin'.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
I've never heard of this so-called "Man's Law," therefore I do not know if I adhere to its strictures.

However, as I'm fairly anti-establishment as a general rule, I find anything that attempts to control and regulate behavior based the beliefs of others to be undesirable as a whole. Therefore, even if I was aware of "Man's Law," I would likely attempt to thwart it whenever possible as a matter of principle. Which sounds manly in its own way, to take such a stand, so I suppose that yes, I am manly.

Now watch me crush this walnut with my forehead...

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
I am manly simply because I have masculine qualities and traits.

I AM A MAN! (PUNCH!)

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I have testicles.

Seriously, I never understood the point of claiming "manhood." Women don't fight and argue over "womanhood."

I pretty much view attempts to catalog/compare manliness to be equivalent to male gorillas smacking their chests. Is this how far we have evolved?

You have an XY chromosomal pair: You're a man. The kind of man you want to be is up to you. Stop letting society place restrictions/requirements on what you can or cannot be to be considered a man.

This adolescent posturing is basically just comparing willie sizes, so if that's what you want, whip it out and be done with it.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Radoh said:
The smaller guy retorted however, that in order to be Manly, you can't allow yourself to be restricted by anything, Man law or no. That to restrict yourself from anything is to be considered a sign of weakness.
I'm a woman, but I still wanted to give my opinion and I completely agree with this guy. The manliest thing a man can do, is to be himself.

gabmed

Dec 11, 2009
Iron Mal said:
I am manly simply because I have masculine qualities and traits.

I AM A MAN! (PUNCH!)
Well, quite basically, whoever has a male genitalia is a man. No exceptions. =x

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
gabmed said:
With the possible exception of hermaphrodites and transexuals of course.

It gets a little ambiguous for them.

Je Suis Ubermonkey

Jun 10, 2010
I watch My Little Pony; my favourite character is Fluttershy.
Some of my friends don't know what my sexuality is because of my... unusual behaviour.
Restrictions? What restrictions? Real men have no concept of restriction!

Krantos said:
You have an XY chromosomal pair: You're a man. The kind of man you want to be is up to you. Stop letting society place restrictions/requirements on what you can or cannot be to be considered a man.
This too.

Underground Man

Sep 20, 2010
Man Law, described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_Laws

Has a lot to do with the whole fratire thing promoted by Maddox and Dick Masterson types.

Nov 12, 2010
All real men are dead from arch welding themselves to motorcycles while watching and playing a MANLY sport and weight lifting while falling off a mountain with no parachute.

There's no point in a law not enforced.
Edit:Stop Criminal Scum!You've broken the law.
I take it back.Duke Nukem is man law surviving.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Okay everybody, I think it would be best to avoid the firestorm that is the genitalia argument, as that gets pretty heated debate around here.

gabmed

Dec 11, 2009
Iron Mal said:
gabmed said:
With the possible exception of hermaphrodites and transexuals of course.

It gets a little ambiguous for them.
Okay, I stand correct: Whoever is born with a XY cromossome is a man. You may like to dress as a girl, fiddle passionatly with another guy, or even cut it off; You'll still be a man. So, please, this Man Law is nothing but a big pile of 5-day decomposing Bull Turd.