Poll: The most overrated genre of music!

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
It is sorta funny mainstream music is the most voted but I have yet to ever hear anybody ever say anything nice about that type of music ever :S

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
Torrasque said:
Whenever I watch an HDstarcraft or HuskyStarcraft video, an android phone ad pops up of these girls singing Bohemian Rhapsody together over their phones. Not for the first time, I find myself sick of Queen, and that is bad. I mean, Bohemian Rhapsody is a fucking GREAT song, but when you hear it a thousand fucking times in a day, and only a snippet of the fucking chorus, it grates on ya.

Kind of like how the Beetles are a great band (I don't really like their stuff because it bores me to death, but I respect their music) but every hipster fucking girl in high school LOVES the Beetles because... Well I really don't know. I know Across the Universe got a lot of bandwagon jumpers. Ugh... People make me so sick sometimes most of the time.
The Beatles were okay until I discovered Lucy In The Sky and Come Together. Then shit got awesome.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
Dubstep.
The fact that people can even call it good is horrifying.
Perhaps people like the Original 2-Step, and not the mainstream Derpstep stuff like myself for instance.

It really isn't that horrifying you know.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
spartan231490 said:
Is it bad that I want to click on or even 3 genres in the poll?

Rap.
Dance/techno.

And maybe classical music as well.

Also dubstep, but that's less of a genre and more of a technique, really.
Dubstep is a genre as much as techno is, but I bet you're using the word "techno" as an umbrella term for all electronic music. May as well go ahead and call The Rolling Stones death metal as they all use distorted guitars, bass and drums - right? Black metal isn't really a genre either as it's more of a technique...

/silliness.

I think the problem with the poll is that the genres aren't "equal". There are several different kinds of rock music listed yet rap only gets one. All electronic music gets shovelled in with commercial dance which could really just be considered "mainstream pop" because that's essentially what it is, the same applies to modern rnb.

It's a fun thread anyway.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Jazoni89 said:
Perhaps people like the Original 2-step, and not the mainstream Derpstep stuff like myself for instance.
2-step is a different genre bud, basically garage.

Join me in labelling the newer, commercial side of dubstep "nuStep". Brostep doesn't quite paint the right picture and the newer stuff has pretty much nothing at all in common with dub (the roots/reggae kind).

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
Tipsy Giant said:
Spot1990 said:
NubiJuan said:
rap hip hop because just go and listen to it. i can understand mainstream pop because its supposed to be what it is due to the fact that it is mainstream pop by definition. rap hip hop can't hang on to that excuse. any generalizations one makes about it would probably end up being mostly true. now I know a few rap hip hops songs that I thought were pretty good, but mostly the genre sounds like one boring beat holding up some jackass rambling on about himself in the manner of 3rd grader. thus I think it is overrated.
No boring beat.

Fantastic lyrics.

I think gangster rap should be the one being held as overrated because that's what everyone seems to hate when it comes to rap.
I'm going to jump on the defensive side with

welcome to 21st century poetry
The only rap group I listen to:

They got a message, they got a rhythm and they aren't using any synth either :D

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
GoaThief said:
Jazoni89 said:
Perhaps people like the Original 2-step, and not the mainstream Derpstep stuff like myself for instance.
2-step is a different genre bud, basically garage.

Join me in labelling the newer, commercial side of dubstep "nuStep". Brostep doesn't quite paint the right picture and the newer stuff has pretty much nothing at all in common with dub (the roots/reggae kind).
I mean Dubstep with the Two-Step influences of Two-step Garage.

Yeah, I agree, it should be changed, as too many people are getting mixed up with the good Dub, and the bad side of Dub.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Vault101 said:
The Diabolical Biz said:
TakeshiLive said:
I'm suprised here, I thought Mainstream or Rap would be at the forefront of overrated-ness. As a grade 8 student for piano, I am forced to enjoy aaaalllll the glory of barqoue and classical music. (The romantic pieces and jazz pieces are good though)
Woo same! Although I'm only doing one Baroque piece for my Grade 8 - a Scarlatti Sonata.

The Romantic stuff is breathtaking though, I'm a complete sucker for Chopin.

OT: I guess I throw my vote in with Classic Rock, which isn't an option in the poll. People enshrine it as this mythical era of wonder, where every song was golden and had meaningful lyrics and was artistically integral. Blarrgghhhhhh and bullshit, I say.
couldnt agree more...I mean I can apreciate it for its "historical" contribution...but the actual music is just nice and maintream..and safe..and BORING

I do love rap though...for somthing to be "overated" it has to be held critically in high regard.."generally" rap isnt

so for example justin beiber is not over rated
What a coincidence - I, too, am a great admirer of Rap music.

I prefer the older, 90s stuff. The latest album I've liked that wasn't pure instrumentals came from around 2003; Champion Sound. Check it out!

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
I would have to say electronic or more precisely DubStep. It's bloody everywhere! seriously, it's driving me mad. how someone can listen to it is beyond me.
oh well, everyone says the same thing to me as well. "how can you listen to heavy metal? it's just noise."

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Man...people who think pop music is bad today are lucky they can't remember the late 90's/early 00's. Seriously...let's take a look back

Early to mid 90s were pretty good. Then came the Boy Band and Pop Diva wars...

mjcabooseblu

Apr 29, 2011
Classic rock. Not because it's bad (I actually quite like it,) but because people seem to have issues moving past it. I understand that we all want to emulate the drug fueled insanity of the 60s, but maybe we should try and find a new sound to work with--and before fans of, say, wubstep step forth, I MEAN A NEW SOUND THAT DOESN'T SUCK ALL THE DICKS.

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
I voted for Modern Rock but what I really mean is Classic Rock because people drool all over music JUST BECAUSE it's from the 60's and 70's and that was a 'better time' or something and they thrive off the nostalgia of an era they were never alive in.

The hippies grew up and marketed their youth culture to future generations and make bank on it. It's really hyped up as the best music there is and it really isn't.

Honorable mention goes to dubstep because I can't believe that the majority of people actually like it so much as they like being trendy.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
I was going to say electronica because dubstep fanboys have a tendency to hop on all my rage triggers at once, but then I remembered how the opening to Brutal Legend encapsulated everything I hate in this new generation of "metal."

Nietz

Dec 1, 2009
I can't really vote, since I feel that pretty much all of the genres(and especially the bands that you put as examples) are overrated in one way or the other. Heck, the only artist on that list I don't consider overrated is Beethoven, he's bad-ass.
My "standard-rule" is usually that if it's played on commercial radio, it's probably overrated, but hat's just my shitty opinion.
Genres aren't overrated, artists are.

In a pinch though, I'd vote for "Mainstream Pop".

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
loudestmute said:
I was going to say electronica because dubstep fanboys have a tendency to hop on all my rage triggers at once, but then I remembered how the opening to Brutal Legend encapsulated everything I hate in this new generation of "metal."

That parody-music sounded more like a particularly bad post-grunge song than metal, to be honest.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
DustyDrB said:
Man...people who think pop music is bad today are lucky they can't remember the late 90's/early 00's. Seriously...let's take a look back

Early to mid 90s were pretty good. Then came the Boy Band and Pop Diva wars...
True that, dude. Smash Mouth and Blink-182 are my faves from that list.

Anyone recall the dreaded year for music that was 1997 *shudders*

There was a list somewhere but "Barbie Girl" by Aqua was at the top of it... I thought it was going to be a clever song, taking the mickey out of the image of a "barbie girl." But.... the band insisted on it being played as a straight song with no message. Then a little part of me died.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
OhJohnNo said:
TakeshiLive said:
OK Computer was released in 1997, it can't have been that bad.
Alright, admittedly every year has its bad songs but many, many bad songs were released on that year. I can't remember them because the self preservation function is kicking in and wiping all memory of them away.

Btw, Rebecca Black was also born in '97

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
TakeshiLive said:
OhJohnNo said:
TakeshiLive said:
OK Computer was released in 1997, it can't have been that bad.
Alright, admittedly every year has its bad songs but many, many bad songs were released on that year. I can't remember them because the self preservation function is kicking in and wiping all memory of them away.

Btw, Rebecca Black was also born in '97
Meh. I care little about Rebecca Black - she's already almost forgotten.

And my point was that surely OK computer makes up for all those bad songs by being one of the best albums ever. :p

KingCrInuYasha

Jan 17, 2011
Either punk rock or classic rock. For the former, rejecting virtuosity and giving the bird to the system doesn't make you more authentic than the guys you're rebelling against. For the latter, Journey is overrated, the "if you can remember the 60s, you weren't really there" thing was a load of hogwash, and radio still won't budge in their stance in playing the same stuff over and over again.