Poll: The most overrated genre of music!

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
OhJohnNo said:
TakeshiLive said:
OhJohnNo said:
TakeshiLive said:
Anyone recall the dreaded year for music that was 1997 *shudders*
OK Computer was released in 1997, it can't have been that bad.
Alright, admittedly every year has its bad songs but many, many bad songs were released on that year. I can't remember them because the self preservation function is kicking in and wiping all memory of them away.

Btw, Rebecca Black was also born in '97
Meh. I care little about Rebecca Black - she's already almost forgotten.

And my point was that surely OK computer makes up for all those bad songs by being one of the best albums ever. :p
Peh, just forget I ever brought '97 up...

I like The Police back in their day and I don't think they get much attention, anyone else think this too?

Silent Anima

Jun 2, 2011
kman123 said:
I think technical/progressive metal is overrated.

I don't hate it...I just don't get it. And a lot of it is critically acclaimed. I just don't dig stuff like Protest the Hero, or Gojira.

I'm gonna get hate for this...
Gojira is one of my favorite bands. D=
I can see where you're coming from, though. I think it's an acquired taste. I used to be turned off by technical bands like that, even Gojira, but now I enjoy them. ^-^ EDIT: Still not too into PtH :p Sorry fans.

OT: Mainstream pop and any kind of -core music. No matter where I look I see people drooling over the latest autotune ridden mess or scene kid doing a breakdown.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
The way they are both mass produced, over-produced and targeted to tweens you might as well have put rap and mainstream pop in the same category. Whatever happened to two turn tables and a microphone?

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
CLASSIC ROCK. WHY IS THIS NOT AN OPTION?

I dunno if it's just because i live in the South, but I swear to god if it's not a generic "hits" pop station, it's a "classic rock" station passing off nickelback, pearl jam, motley crue and kiss like it's gospel. It's the most bland, tasteless, money grabbing genre out there in my opinion.

Somewhere Kurt Cobain is wishing for a second suicide because of Classic Rock.

Burs

Jan 28, 2011
Tipsy Giant said:
Gerishnakov said:
I'm not sure why R&B and mainstream pop have been separated for the poll. They've pretty much merged now.

I voted for R&B, because it is just pop music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves. Dubstep's kind of headed that way, but it's still just a trend at the moment.
THANKYOU

I hate it when someone says "I love R&B" and I ask them what they think of motown and they clarify "Modern R&B", I groan and walk away shaking my head. POP is POP is POP, doesn't matter what "BEAT" it has, it's still shitty pop music
Good man! I harker back for the days (before I was born) when R&B meant: Rythem & Blues

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Burs said:
Tipsy Giant said:
Gerishnakov said:
I'm not sure why R&B and mainstream pop have been separated for the poll. They've pretty much merged now.

I voted for R&B, because it is just pop music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves. Dubstep's kind of headed that way, but it's still just a trend at the moment.
THANKYOU

I hate it when someone says "I love R&B" and I ask them what they think of motown and they clarify "Modern R&B", I groan and walk away shaking my head. POP is POP is POP, doesn't matter what "BEAT" it has, it's still shitty pop music
Good man! I harker back for the days (before I was born) when R&B meant: Rythem & Blues
Check out this track, it has Fontella Bass of "Rescue Me" fame singing on this modern track and I think it is amazing R&B

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
I chose mainstream pop. Almost all music has its pluses and its minuses. As long as it was made with a little soul, it can be some good music. Pop music, by and large, is a carefully-controlled formula for success, and lacks that passion, that soul, that makes true music good. It's less of a belief in what they're doing,then doing it at the behest of a few marketing heads and producers. Bleh.

Watching the Re:Generation Music Project last night, (really cool, check it out, by the way) and one of the projects was Skrillex teaming up with the surviving members of the Doors. While a lot of people would frown on his music, watching Sonny and the Doors begin to jam out and just have some damn fun making a crazy dubstep track brought a smile to my face, and made me like Sonny a little more than I did. There was fun, there was passion, there was soul, and it shows in that crazy-ass track they coughed up. Some would say that stuff is over-rated and not music, but watching the collaboration in that studio made it patently clear that music is music is music, and this bridges all genre and age.

No music should really be considered over-rated, but damn it if pop music doesn't come the closest. It fits the criteria, what with being the most popular kind of music (hence the name, eh?) but often the least interesting.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
OhJohnNo said:
TakeshiLive said:
Anyone recall the dreaded year for music that was 1997 *shudders*
OK Computer was released in 1997, it can't have been that bad.
Also...these critically acclaimed albums too.

Bjork - Homogenic
Modest Mouse - The lonesome crowded west
Spirtualized - Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
The Prodigy - Fat of the Land
Portishead - Portishead
Mogwai - Mogwai young team
Strapping Young Lad - City
Sleater Kinney - Dig Me Out

I prefer Kid A, and the Bends, to OK Computer, yeah I said it, still a great album though.

unoleian said:
I chose mainstream pop. Almost all music has its pluses and its minuses. As long as it was made with a little soul, it can be some good music. Pop music, by and large, is a carefully-controlled formula for success, and lacks that passion, that soul, that makes true music good. It's less of a belief in what they're doing,then doing it at the behest of a few marketing heads and producers. Bleh.

Watching the Re:Generation Music Project last night, (really cool, check it out, by the way) and one of the projects was Skrillex teaming up with the surviving members of the Doors. While a lot of people would frown on his music, watching Sonny and the Doors begin to jam out and just have some damn fun making a crazy dubstep track brought a smile to my face, and made me like Sonny a little more than I did. There was fun, there was passion, there was soul, and it shows in that crazy-ass track they coughed up. Some would say that stuff is over-rated and not music, but watching the collaboration in that studio made it patently clear that music is music is music, and this bridges all genre and age.

No music should really be considered over-rated, but damn it if pop music doesn't come the closest. It fits the criteria, what with being the most popular kind of music (hence the name, eh?) but often the least interesting.
Dream pop, and Noise pop are amazing though.

Especially this album....

Masterpiece!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
The Diabolical Biz said:
I prefer the older, 90s stuff. The latest album I've liked that wasn't pure instrumentals came from around 2003; Champion Sound. Check it out!
ohh! I just might (thanks)

latley Ive been listening to Kid Cudi...I think he's great '

Nasrin said:
CLASSIC ROCK. WHY IS THIS NOT AN OPTION?

I dunno if it's just because i live in the South, but I swear to god if it's not a generic "hits" pop station, it's a "classic rock" station passing off nickelback, pearl jam, motley crue and kiss like it's gospel. It's the most bland, tasteless, money grabbing genre out there in my opinion.

Somewhere Kurt Cobain is wishing for a second suicide because of Classic Rock.
because CLASSIC ROCK IS THE BEST THING THERE EVER WILL BE BECAUSE!! now stay right there..I need ot call the thourght police because theres obviously somthing wrong with you

haha..no I agree completly..the real irony here is that as far as music goes i think classic rock is one of the few that can ACTUALLY be called over-rated..and yet its not an option

perhaps the OP is leting his/her personal taste skew the poll

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
Classical
Oh it's great! I listen to it every day in my car, and I try to play it on my electric guitar!
But damn is it lionized!
It's not like good music was just NEVER written after the 19th century. There's no such thing as a be all-end all for anything, but NOOOO classical holds this nigh untouchable position wherein should you state that you do not always care for it or limited knowledge of it, points are immediately deducted from your perceived intelligence.

While we're at it, 70's rock. Also good at times, but what if we just stopped reading books that were written after "the Lost Generation" or the gilded age? I've seen guitar fanatics that refuse to play or teach anything beyond the late 70's. So effectively, you get hours and hours and hours of Zepplin...
Everyone gets tired of Zepplin.
(Especially since they plagiarized a butt ton of stuff)

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
GoaThief said:
TakeshiLive said:
Peh, just forget I ever brought '97 up...
No! :p

In addition to the excellent choices above

Oh yes, the Ol Pimps!

Most excellent taste me good sir!

Also, that Aphex Twin track is sick.

Tib088

Nov 28, 2009
I want to say all genres of music are overrated. I mainly listen to a combination of various Metal, Dance, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Indie and Punk (My personal fav :D) and I find the people I talk to always say that the genre they prefer is the best. But the ones I find are always quicker to write everything else off as crap or just think that all music under a specific genre is crap are the Indie fans. I'm not sure why tho... I have a friend who is a massive indie fan and he listens to a second of some of my fav songs and just says "Nope, awful."

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
GoaThief said:
spartan231490 said:
Is it bad that I want to click on or even 3 genres in the poll?

Rap.
Dance/techno.

And maybe classical music as well.

Also dubstep, but that's less of a genre and more of a technique, really.
Dubstep is a genre as much as techno is, but I bet you're using the word "techno" as an umbrella term for all electronic music. May as well go ahead and call The Rolling Stones death metal as they all use distorted guitars, bass and drums - right? Black metal isn't really a genre either as it's more of a technique...

/silliness.

I think the problem with the poll is that the genres aren't "equal". There are several different kinds of rock music listed yet rap only gets one. All electronic music gets shovelled in with commercial dance which could really just be considered "mainstream pop" because that's essentially what it is, the same applies to modern rnb.

It's a fun thread anyway.
Actually, I'm not using techno as a shoehorn for all electronic music. I don't have a problem with electronic music in general, I have a problem with techno. Now, if you're done judging people from up on that high horse, I'll be going to sleep now.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
GoaThief said:
THANKYOU! somone understands..I swear to god daft punk and techno dont belong in the same sentence

spartan231490 said:
to be fair people do it all the god-damn time and for peopel like me and him who liek and see merit in electronic its wall-bangingly frustrating

but good to see you arnt..so thankyou

Burs

Jan 28, 2011
Tipsy Giant said:
Burs said:
Tipsy Giant said:
Gerishnakov said:

THANKYOU

Check out this track, it has Fontella Bass of "Rescue Me" fame singing on this modern track and I think it is amazing R&B

Sir I must dearly thank you!

Thank you for showing me this real bluesy band, who prove that using modern keyboads and synths wont stop you from playing the blues =D
(now where to find their album?...no, where to put their album?)