Poll: The Old Republic: Will it fail?

T.D.

Feb 9, 2011
If anyone is going to take the crown from Blizzard and WoW, it's Bioware and Star Wars. I think if they can't do it noone will.

Because I think that Bioware has added serious quality to Star Wars, The Old Republic WILL be a good game. However you do have to factor in all the problems of an MMO like WoW and TOR.

See this,

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/1906-The-Future-of-MMOs

I personally think TOR will be a good game but maybe not a sucessful MMO.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Well, every time I've seen or heard of people playing it, they were largely positive. Every person that I've heard even claim to play the BETA was overwhelmingly positive. Mike Krahulik, Gabe, of Penny-Arcade even wrote a little update on their site where he stated how much he has enjoyed his time in the BETA. And, yes, from what I've heard, the storytelling is that big a deal.

Basically, IF TOR fails, it won't be because it was a bad game. But I don't think it will fail.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It will be the standard MMO thing, a big launch where everyone piles in because it's something new to buy and after a month or two noone will remember it ever existed, except for the ten nerds who have forsaken all human contact in order to feed their new MMO crack addiction.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Depends what you would regard as it succeeding.

Will it kill WoW? No.

Will it nevertheless rack up a few million subscriptions and be both a financial and critical success? Personally, I think it will.

Zonack

Jun 1, 2011
I don't think we can compare this to WoW.
WoW is... another thing, WoW is in a whole different level and while I don't plan to play TOR (Cause, well I think playing 1 MMO is enough :p) I really think it will go a long way and be very popular.

Tentickles

Oct 24, 2010
If SW:TOR doesnt dethrone WoW, economics and age will.
Blizzard stated that they planned the game as a 10 year investment and at this moment are working on a secret MMO code name Titan. The timing is spot on it's been 7 years for WoW and 3-5 years (speculated release 2013) of development means that Titan will be finished and WoW left to the vultures of the internet.
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/29/blizzards-titan-a-casual-mmo/

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
It will do fine. It won't be comparable to WoW though, but nothing will really. And that's probably a good thing.

It'll turn a decent profit and keep on running. But it won't break any headlines with subscription numbers.

For those who care about it, it will be a success. For those who don't care about it they won't hear much at all about it (unlike say WoW which you'll hear about whether or not you care).

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Mackheath said:
I think it'll attract Star Wars fans, and little else. It won't make any significant dent in WoW; Guild Wars 2 won't either.

Infact the biggest danger to Blizz's golden cashcow right now is the economy; the reason so many people are cancelling subscriptions is because the game is not as good as it once was. But more than that, they need to save all the money they can, so £100 a year isn't justifiable anymore.
People are cancelling cause the genre is stagnant. Asides accessibility, how much has the genre innovated? It is practically the same game since DIKU MUDs 20+ years ago.

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
MMO's really have to gain a certain amount of players to survive(otherwise players just move back to WoW).

I've been watching all these MMO's for the past few years, pretty much ALL of them survive for a year or two and then end up getting shut down due to player migration.

It has to be at least three times better than WoW(gameplay wise) to even stand a chance, and probably will need to be designed to remain fun in low player environments(otherwise after the population fall bellow a certain amount then all the player must then leave, without any room for it to rebuild it's playerbase).

I haven't read up on KOTOR's gameplay so I can even hazard a guess. All i can say is if it's another WoW clone(ignoring its theme, gameplay wise if it's still the same gameplay), then it's already doomed to die a slow death.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Cherry Cola said:
Personally, I think it'll go down like a *****. It's main selling point is fucking voice-acting
No, its unique selling point is a voice-acted narrative with actual role-playing in an MMO.

Its main selling point would be that it's a Star Wars MMO developed by BioWare.

Cherry Cola said:
and it looks like World of Warcraft IN SPACE but with far less development time, which is usually what kills every single MMO going up against that ************.
Except it has more development time than WoW did, doesn't really look like World of Warcraft, and developer reports have made it very clear just how much is going into the important tiny details of the game.

Cherry Cola said:
And let us not forget that Guild Wars 2, the upcoming MMO that actually looks original and GOOD, is proving to be much more interesting than The Old Republic ever was.
I remember Guild Wars. All my friends played it... for a couple of months. I wasn't interested. I'm not interested in Guild Wars 2 either; not least because it's in Generic Fantasy World #457, rather than the Star Wars universe I actually have a vested interest in.

Cherry Cola said:
But I'm Swedish and therefore my opinion is stupid, so why don't all of you talk about how you think The Old Republic will manage when it finally comes out? Unless you're Swedish, in which case everyone will ignore you because I'm spreading false propaganda about our nation being twats. Down with the establishment and all that crap.
I'm Swedish, and your opinion is your opinion, although it seems largely grounded in misconceptions and bias.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Tentickles said:
Cherry Cola said:
Personally, I think it'll go down like a *****. It's main selling point is fucking voice-acting and it looks like World of Warcraft IN SPACE but with far less development time, which is usually what kills every single MMO going up against that ************.
WoW Development time: 4-5 years
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraft/news.html?sid=2810134
Started in 2000 released in 2004

SW:TOR development time: 5-6 years
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/star-wars-the-old-republic/news.html?sid=6199726&mode=news
12 Fulltime story writers have been working on SW:TOR since 2006
I'm sorry, this was my mistake, I phrased this poorly. What I meant to say was that WoW has had more time to improve. SWtOR may have longer development time, but WoW has had numerous patches and expansions since 2004, meaning that WoW has had 7 years to improve from vanilla WoW to how it is now, and therefore lacks many of the rough corners fresh MMOs usually have.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
JediMB said:
Cherry Cola said:
Personally, I think it'll go down like a *****. It's main selling point is fucking voice-acting
No, its unique selling point is a voice-acted narrative with actual role-playing in an MMO.

Its main selling point would be that it's a Star Wars MMO developed by BioWare.
Okay, noted
Cherry Cola said:
and it looks like World of Warcraft IN SPACE but with far less development time, which is usually what kills every single MMO going up against that ************.
Except it has more development time than WoW did, doesn't really look like World of Warcraft, and developer reports have made it very clear just how much is going into the important tiny details of the game.
Again, my mistake. Sorry
Cherry Cola said:
And let us not forget that Guild Wars 2, the upcoming MMO that actually looks original and GOOD, is proving to be much more interesting than The Old Republic ever was.
I remember Guild Wars. All my friends played it... for a couple of months. I wasn't interested. I'm not interested in Guild Wars 2 either; not least because it's in Generic Fantasy World #457, rather than the Star Wars universe I actually have a vested interest in.
I see
Cherry Cola said:
But I'm Swedish and therefore my opinion is stupid, so why don't all of you talk about how you think The Old Republic will manage when it finally comes out? Unless you're Swedish, in which case everyone will ignore you because I'm spreading false propaganda about our nation being twats. Down with the establishment and all that crap.
I'm Swedish, and your opinion is your opinion, although it seems largely grounded in misconceptions and bias.
The pot calling the kettle black.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It going end up like any other MMO games- It will start off well having tons of players and then it will decline. It will continue to declie until they decided to make it free to play.

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
I voted 'fail like a *****', partly because I am still bitter about having stupidly wasted nearly £200 on that Star Trek Online lifetime subscription but also because Star Wars is loooooooong past it anyway and I personally found KoTOR 2 better than KoTOR 1 because despite being buggy, rushed and cut down, it did something previously unheard of in a Star Wars game: moral ambiguity! It took a step back and asked whether or not the Jedi were really as heroic as previously portrayed and the answer - considering that KoTOR 2's story is mainly told from the perspective of those innocent bystanders caught in the Jedi/Sith crossfire - was a resounding NO (even though it was undermined somewhat by a character development system that only favoured the biggest saints/dickheads) and that's the reason it pisses me off so much that TOR is ignoring it, whether it's purely because it was developed by Obsidian or because Bioware are now drinking tea with Infinity Ward in the loony bin!

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
When you say fail/good do you mean in regards to quality or profit/subscribers? Also your poll does not have enough options, i would take a guess somewhere between average and good (i'm assuming by good you mean the best it could be as there was no amazing option). Also what happened to waiting until the game was released before judging it?

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
the game obviously looks fun, and the visuals are pleasing (at least to me). the game will likely become one of the top MMO's out there. maybe right behind WoW. i dont think it will ever surpass it, though. but if any game were to do that, it would probably be the old republic

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Cherry Cola said:
The pot calling the kettle black.
Sorry, but you're not getting that one either.

When TOR was first announced, I met the announcement with a complete disinterest. I played SWG for about an hour, and the only MMO I've spent more time with than a couple of months is Final Fantasy XI.

My excitement for TOR was built up as BioWare started showing off features and content. Character classes, lore, role-playing possibilities, crafting systems, etc., etc.