Poll: The 'Real' Man Debate

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
axlryder said:
The term "real man" is disgusting and sexist. If one were to talk about how "real woman" should groom themselves then they would be jumped on as a misogynistic pig.
And sometimes people do point out how sexist the term 'real man' is. At least I do, but since I didn't see many serious proponents of enforcing gender roles like that I didn't see the need atm.
I'd agree with your general assessment of the thread's tone (including how the OP used it). I just have such a personally strong repulsion to the term that I can't help but share how I feel about it when it's brought up. Plus, on the off chance that someone browsing the thread was an advocate of the term, perhaps reading my post would encourage them to reevaluate their usage of it.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
No man can comfortably wear skinny fitting jeans.

It's just not possible :D
All the pants I own are jeans.

None of them are skinny. This is how it will always be.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
Suijen said:
Isn't eyeliner traditionally used by women? Unless this catches on, you're going to remain a guy using women's cosmetics. But if it does catch on, then yeah, it'll be fine. Standards change, and standards for what's appropriate and inappropriate for men and women change.

It's not unmanly to care about your appearance. It's just what that appearance is in debate. No one would call you a pussy for washing your face and shaving. But slapping on traditional womens' cosmetics and beauty products will look unmanly.
I'm gonna agree with this guy. I keep my appearance in basic check, clean face, combed clean hair and combed + trimmed goatee and I'm considered to be a fairly "manly" individual by people I know. However if I used eye-liner or any other cosmetic product, then in truth, I'd be a little ashamed of myself.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Meh, everyone's body is their own. They should do with it what they please. How you look and dress should have no bearing on your "manliness" and you should just go with what you feel most comfortable in.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
There is no 'real man' and I hate the term with an undying passion. It's an unforgivably high standard to be a square-jawed, broad-shouldered, smoking hot, highly successful, ridiculously competent, indestructible, muscle-man with the ability to do anything and everything and do it with undying levels of confidence. I hate that standard, it stresses me out.

Just be how you want to be and try as little as possible to care. People like you who who challenge those perceptions of masculinity and (hopefully) look good doing it are paving the way for a lot more forgiving standard of beauty.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

your wrong there... but yes finding comfey ones CAN be a challange yes. to the part of only 2 pair of propper pants in say 6 stores...

EDIT: oh bugger i mist the 'skinny' part. nope you win men should not and can not wear skinny jeans that fit and are comfortable XD.

OT : dont wear makup. your a guy ffs. not some gay/fake tv underwear model.
but how a man should act.. is all up to him. dont care bout your looks care about your looks. its all the same. as long as you are confident and smell nice ( oke, and dont look like a TOTAL hobo ) you'l do fine.
( nothing against gays here but it gets the point across )

Circleseer

Aug 14, 2009
Where I'm from, that term almost always refers to behaviour; particularly owning up to your mistakes and responsibilities. 'Be a man about it', or 'be a real man, for once'.

It rarely refers to exterior, because most people don't give a crap how others look.

I don't care for the whole metro-sexuality thing. But that doesn't mean I treat people who do any differently. I'd sure as hell never give someone else shit for their looks. It's so pointless to do so.

Imagine we'd all get off each other's back about that sort of meaningless crap. Would save so much time and energy. Maybe we could, collectively, solve some -real- problems instead.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Men should prevent themselves from looking like idiots, because god knows there are so many things the other sex will call us out on. However, going too far for simply style is pushing it. Look good, but don't spend a fucking mint doing it.

Shadowkire

Apr 4, 2009
Real men don't care what other people think, usually that means we don't put much effort into our appearances. In your case it means you shouldn't care if other people think you are putting in too much effort.

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
A friend of mine attacked the term "Knight in shining armour" sometime ago due to the fact if the armour is shining it shows a lack of combat and effort on the knights part but I corrected this (Not that he listened) To have armour shining it requires effort. If the knight is wearing armour and was knighted showing he indeed does the duties of a knight and he keeps his armour well maintained to show his pride and effort do his duty. A man grooming himself is and ALWAYS has happened.

"Men don't care about their appearance" is a childish idea, Men have always tried to look good for both women and other men. What type of appearance does change usually but it's been a LONG time since a completely unmaintained Chewbacca type man has been deemed a "real" man... These days we call them bums

PS: Some people also mistake the term real man as just being born into the male sex. Usually this is the difference between a boy and a man, a male and can a boy well into his adult years but being a man takes effort and not just a penis

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Men can wear whatever they want. Except when it comes to pink. Real men wear pink.

luke10123

Jan 9, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

Lies, a friend of mines wears a womens size 6 skinny jeans. He's pretty tall but as thin as I think it's possible for a human being to physically be.

OT. I think manners are more important than focusing on your looks. Being a good person is better than being pretty. But eyeliner?... Seriously? -10 man points right there...

EclipseoftheDarkSun

Sep 11, 2009
A real man isn't a slave to fashion (ie doesn't spend too much money or time). Doesn't mean he can't do a few things to maximise his appearance, particularly when it comes to body odour etc, taking into account other people's potential discomfort.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
A "real" man does whatever the hell he wants, regardless of others opinions. What exactly is a "real" man supposed to mean anyway? Forget that bullshit and just do what you want to do.