Poll: The 'Real' Man Debate

CrazyDave DC

Apr 14, 2010
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make its own judgements." - Zefram Cochrane

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
SidheKnight said:
"Real" men don't care what other people think.

Actually, this applies to all people. Real women don't care about public opinion either.
There's no difference between public and private opinion. Anything you think privately comes from other people - culture. So if you care about anything, it's what other people think.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
Personally? I can't look any guy in the eye if there wearing make up (unless it's some medical thing, e.g. acne and the stuff isn't even make up), maybe it's just how i was brought up but i cannot stand guys who put on make up and spend more money than sense on hair products. I have nothing against those who do.

This is coming from a guy who wears comfy clothes, jeans, t-shirts, fleeces/hoodies, no hair products, shaved face, etc. I don't claim to be a manly man but even i have to say that no man should ever wear skinny jeans....NEVER... either way wear what you want, it's your choice.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
i would say do what you want, and do not care of what people think, but personaly i would draw the line at eyeliner(but that's just me)

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Real men shouldn't give a fuck what people think about their appearance. Now this doesn't mean people have to like it and don't expect them to.

Personally I like to go for a more rugged look/stylish. Going all natural can be a bit uncomfortable.

Emperor Nat

Jun 15, 2011
In my opinion, a 'real man' is a man who takes responsibility for his actions, acts in a sound, dignified and hopefully chivalrous manner, and tries to be as nice as he can. His interests, in his appearance, hobbies or otherwise, are irrelevant.

If you want my opinion on whether or not people should care... people should care about their appearance to the extent that they are not unhealthy, dirty, etc. Beyond that, if they want to look nice, let them. If they prefer not to do anything beyond the necessary, let them. It's a matter of self-image and personal preference.

Feb 9, 2011
Mygaffer said:
Why are you wearing eyeliner and shaving most of your body hair man? That is kind of weird.
I's not weird. It's uncommon, but not weird. Shaving is shaving and makeup is makeup. There's nothing out of the ordinary of either, just a less-than-common application of the two.

Don't judge based on social "norms".

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
kortin said:
Dress however the fuck you want, there's no such thing as a fucking 'real man'.
until lyou try to find a job, and then the dressing up is dictated by stupid social norms that force you into uncomfortable clothes just to get a chance at finding work.

Ytomyth

Nov 13, 2011
Imo, only men who are very insecure about themselves and their masculinity care about what "real men" do. Just be you, in looks and behaviour. No, that doesn't mean "all natural", it means: do whatever the flying fudge you want. Within bounds, o/c. :p

EDIT: Oh, and there'll almost always be consequences. Everyone should face the ones they're responsible for. (Whether it's being judged, not hired or getting jail-time for taking your own freedom a bit too far.)

karcentric

Dec 28, 2011
Who cares what your mum thinks, if your happy that's what counts, I have long hair and get people asking if I'm going to cut it off and grow up. The main reason my hair is long is because I cbf cutting it. Much the same with my dress sense, I wear what fits and I think looks good on me, regardless of what others think.

If your doing it for yourself, keep on doing it.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Phasmal said:
Real men don't care about what makes them real men because they are secure.

That's why I don't buy `emasculation`.
If you are secure in yourself you could walk down the street in a tutu and still feel like a man.
Obviously thats a bit extreme of an example, but whether you are a man or not is not decided by outside factors.
Awkward moment when a woman pinpoints exactly the essence of being a real man. "Real Men" are fine with being what they are, because they're secure. If you're insecure, then you're not being all that real, yeah? Moreover, if you're so insecure you have to attempt to define the social constructs of masculinity in favour of what you consider important, you're inherently "un-manly".

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
A real man does what he wants?

A good man makes sure what he wants doesn't hurt others?

Shoot, I don't know...

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
No man can comfortably wear skinny fitting jeans.

It's just not possible :D
I can. F*ck your logic.

My captcha is fucking jumping around the box... I'm scared.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
I think this is the second time in 24 hours I've had to say this: "Dick stubble is just about the least attractive thing ever".
Wolverine18 said:
Now the exception to this rule is if you are gay/bi. If you are also looking to attract men then it may be totally appropriate and manly to make yourself look more feminine as many gay men are attracted to fem guys.
Aside from the previously mentioned misappropriation that "most" gay/bi men are interested in fem dudes, I don't see why straight men should avoid femininity. There are plenty of straight women who are attracted to men who buck gender roles. That guy from Tokyo Hotel is certainly pretty popular with the ladies.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
I think the concept of a "real man" is stupid, and 99% of our society's gender roles are arbitrary and meaningless. I might be the wrong person to ask though.

I say do whatever you feel like, and don't give a shit if it's "manly" or not.

Oct 27, 2010
I've dated men who wore dresses. lol. Seriously though, Man, woman, does it matter? It's amusing to me that people still dwell on such obsolete social ideas. People are people, human beings, and as long as they're being honest with themselves and others, that's what I consider to be "real".