Poll: The Ten Second Rule

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
it depends, if it just lands on the floor in my house ill pick its up wipe all of the nasty bits off it and ill eat, it but if im outside and i dop it i leave it for the birds

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
LightPurpleLighter said:
It depends on the floor in question. If I just cleaned it, sure. If it's someone elses' floor, or I've put off the weekly mopping, then no.
This holds true for me too.

If the food in question get's dirty from falling on the floor, the no.

d4rkxy13x

Jan 10, 2009
I find candy under my couch that have been there for yonks and I still eat it.

OT: As long as it's not covered in grit or hair, I'll eat it.

EDIT/ADDITION: As a child I ate slugs that I picked up in my back yard, and suffered no ill effects. At least I don't think so..

hurfdurp

Jun 7, 2010
I guess it depends on the setting. If it's within my own house then I will definitely pick the pineapple off the carpet and eat it. Someone else's house, school, the mall, not so much.

Dzil

May 20, 2009
It completely depends on how dry (or apt to acquire stuff off the floor) what I'm eating is.

Dry cereal? Sure. Buttered bread? Hell no, that'll have more cat hair on it than the cat itself.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
Eh, if it falls to the floor, I pick it up and put it out of the way, then bin it when I finish the meal.
I'm not going to eat something that has fallen on the floor.
Especially not my bedroom floor.
Blood and [deity] knows what else is on my floor >.>
Gosh, I know whats been on my floor. No one's eating food in my room thats touched that floor, seriously.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
My dog is always waiting...always watching...

I'm pretty clean though. If something falls on the floor, I'll still eat it.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Depends on both the floor and the food. Wet food or dirty floor or both, NO WAY. clean floor and dry food, no problems.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Depends a bit on the food and the state of the floor, but generally yes.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
Depends how clean the floor is. If it's sparkling clean just-been-shined tile or marble or wood or slate or whatever, yeah, I'll eat something that falls on the floor and not be particularly picky about it. I tend to want to hurry to it anyways, though, since I have 5 cats. If the floor is dirty, I don't eat it no matter how long it's been there. Also if it's something like a sloppy joe or a big sandwich that completely falls apart on landing I give up on it.

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
The ten second rule is pretty good, i think i follow it most of the time.

If it's dry food and floor is clean i can eat after a couple of minutes aswell. And there are places where i would only eat from if i'm starving.

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
This depends largely on the food in question.

Some sprouts fell on the floor. Oh no.

Some chocolate truffles fell on the floor. Nooooo!

Grimlock Fett

Apr 14, 2010
I'm a chef and Ive picked food back out of a bin and eaten it! People are germaphobic! Its LOL worthy! I hate wasting food!

T3hMonk3y

May 28, 2008
Astoria said:
I think they actually did a study on this and on your average floor (meaning what most people would call 'clean') it would take about 5 seconds (I think it was five) for any germs to latch itself onto the food. Obviously the dirtier the floor the less time it would take but I usually don't mind eating food if I quickly pick it up.

I'm sorry where did you read this? This is bullshit, if its on the ground for 1 second or 5 seconds it doesn't make a difference its still gonna be dirty