Poll: The Value of a Human Life

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
liquidsolid said:
I think that human life is more valuable than animal life. You can always get another dog, but that person most likely has a family and friends and people who will miss them. Outside of the movies, the impact that a persons death is far greater than that of an animal. If you do save the animal, I'm sure that the loved ones of that person will not be happy with you.

Your Spanish teacher is kind of ridiculous because if she came across a stranger, the first thing she would assume is that the person was inherently bad. She most likely likes Hobbes and the idea that humans are inherently bad vs. Locke who believes that humans are inherently good. I think humans are neutral and their actions define their moral actions.

If I were to witness a person letting a human fall off a cliff and saving an animal I would be appalled.
If I had to choose between my dog or a random stranger, I'd save the dog. The loved ones can ***** at me all they like, but my dog would protect me from danger so I'm gonna do the same damn thing for him. He's like a brother, and he's closer than a stranger, and just sharing a species ain't enough to warrant abandoning a family member.

If we want to start that road - who do I save, the Englishman or the Frenchman? I mean, they're both human, but since the Englishman shares my nationality, I guess I can relate better and kinda owe it to him.

But no. My dog is more valuable to me than a stranger...and I don't give two shits who that stranger is. Never turn your back on family.

Dawns Gate

May 2, 2011
Depends on the person and the animal. I don't have a dog (personally) but my roommate has one that we both love and all that sappy shit, which is a totally awesome animal and a better friend. If the person is a stranger or something I'd probably save our dog over them (and visa versa), if they both were random I'd save the person.

flames09

Nov 26, 2011
Kevlar Eater said:
If it was my beloved dog or some random stranger. Most definitely the dog, because the stranger would probably forget what happened the next day. At least the dog would show some kind of appreciation, whereas the human would be like "I could have saved myself, you prick".
You assume that people who are saved from certain death show no appreciation to those who save them? Sorry from what evidence do you draw this absurd conclusion from?

flames09

Nov 26, 2011
kortin said:
I would save the dog. Why? Because a life is a life, no matter what it is. The only bias for me is how well I know them. I don't know a stranger, so I'll save my dog.

I'm not delusional to the point where I actually believe a human life is more important than any other life. All life is equal in value.
So you are happy to let someone who could potentially have children, a wife and parents die because you don't know them? You are a horrible human being.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
In a toss up between a stranger and my pet? Fuck the stranger, there are billions of strangers; there is only one of my pet.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Save the human of course. Why? Because all dogs go to heaven, so ultimately it will be fine.

*function AnswerSeriously not found*

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
Personally I'd save the person, even if they were a murderer/Hitler. It's not that I think humans are objectively worth more than animals, but that as a human I think it's totally justified to consider the humans life more important.

LordLucan375

Feb 15, 2011
Murderers are the worst excuse for human beings there are. Frankly they are no better than animals, so you might as well save the dog, as at least it never hurt anyone. Lives really aren't worth anything in the grand scheme of things, so you should never feel bad to learn that an awful person such as a murderer or a pedophile has met with an untimely end. Besides a murderer, someone who has taken a life unjustly, being himself killed is justice. An eye for an eye and all that.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
Like others have said, if it was my dog and a stranger, I'd save my dog. Hands down. Now, if it was a family member and a stray dog, I'd save the family member. I honestly don't believe that one life has more value over another. It's up to personal preference.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
This thread was already done about a month ago and stayed on the front page for a few weeks. Here is my copy-pasted response, amended slightly to better fit this scenario:

I would save my dog. I don't even particularly like my dog, but I have a duty of care towards her. I'm not responsible for the stranger.

That's not to say I wouldn't try to save the stranger; I would just prioritise my dog's life because I don't see what's reasonable or noble about letting a creature which is entirely dependent on me for its existence die. I made a commitment to look after my dog when I took her in, even if she is an asshole. The fact that no one would mourn her if she dies just makes me more determined to protect her.
Frankly, if it was a random stranger and a random dog, I'd probably save the animal in that scenario too.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
flames09 said:
So you are happy to let someone who could potentially have children, a wife and parents die because you don't know them? You are a horrible human being.
I don't deal in "what ifs". They shouldn't have gotten themselves in such a situation.

And before you say it, I would be completely surprised and slightly disgusted that someone would save me over their loyal companion, over their best friend.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
These threads are always so depressing. There are too many misanthropes and aspiring sociopaths around these threads for my taste.

I follow the golden rule personally, I would hope a person would save me over the dog so I would choose the person every time if I found myself in this situation.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
I'd probably save the human if it was just a regular person. I just think others are less likely to be negatively affected by the situation. When my friend's dog died at the age of 14 (she'd had him since she was 6) she mourned pretty badly. At that point that dog was the only creature who really loved her in the world. Yet, despite that, when her ***** of a mother died, it hit her harder, despite the woman not deserving an ounce of her love. I just think humans, IN GENERAL, don't innately place as much value on animal's lives as the lives of those who are close to them. I bring that up to account for my family members who are also close to my dog. What's more, my family members would also be saddled with the guilt of knowing that another person had to die for the sake of our dog. If the dog died the guilt would likely be less so for the other family, since a random dog vs random human will almost always end with the human being deemed more valuable.

Now if the person did die, that person is most likely close to someone, thus more pain will probably result from their death. Comparatively, I know I can live with my dog dying, as sad as it would make me. The dog doesn't give a fuck. It's dead. Yes it will experience a moment of fear in its death, but so will many other creatures (human or animal), and at least a dog can't fully understand what death means. Hell, it might not even fully understand "I'm about to hit the ground super hard and explode everywhere". The most I'm getting out of this is the hope that my dog might experience a more peaceful death later in life and saving myself some sadness, which just doesn't seem worth all the pain the death of another could cause after they're already dead.

Aside from that, the cognitive and complex emotional capabilities of dogs make me value them somewhat less. I mean, on a base level, not accounting for any other traits or factors, I consider more intelligent people to be of more value than less intelligent people, so why would that value change across species? Of course, other factors (like selflessness), play a big role too. So if that super smart person happens to also be a psychopathic asshole, then I'd probably opt to save the dog. However, since I can't know that, I have to go by what I can extrapolate from the situation, and I think it's generally safe to assume human brain > dog brain.

I don't buy the whole "my responsibility to take care of the dog" thing. Responsibility, at its core, is utterly subjective and self-appointed (repercussions are merely an attempt to force one to adhere to a specific set of actions, not actually forcing responsibility upon them). I will gladly disregard my "responsibility" if I feel there is a more important matter to attend to at the moment.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Treeinthewoods said:
These threads are always so depressing. There are too many misanthropes and aspiring sociopaths around these threads for my taste.

I follow the golden rule personally, I would hope a person would save me over the dog so I would choose the person every time if I found myself in this situation.
This may sound mean, but I think a lot of people on this site are either nihilists, or they've been treated like utter shit their whole lives by people and the innocence/loyalty/loving nature of dogs or other animals is considered more valuable to them than the lives of nasty old humans with their malevolent nature. Just a hunch.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
I would save neither of them, and instead spend my time educating people on the dangers of walking with their dogs into whirlpools and off of cliffs. Especially the more rape-inclined individuals and bums. I don't want those guys comin' into my hypotheticals.

You'd think it was common knowledge--it's not.

But seriously, I hate hypotheticals.

Also: we need more of these signs:

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I'd save my dog any day of the week.

Hell I have relatives that I'd let fall off a cliff/get eaten by sharks/die in a fire before I let an unfamiliar dog meet the same fate.

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
Thyunda said:
liquidsolid said:
I think that human life is more valuable than animal life. You can always get another dog, but that person most likely has a family and friends and people who will miss them. Outside of the movies, the impact that a persons death is far greater than that of an animal. If you do save the animal, I'm sure that the loved ones of that person will not be happy with you.

Your Spanish teacher is kind of ridiculous because if she came across a stranger, the first thing she would assume is that the person was inherently bad. She most likely likes Hobbes and the idea that humans are inherently bad vs. Locke who believes that humans are inherently good. I think humans are neutral and their actions define their moral actions.

If I were to witness a person letting a human fall off a cliff and saving an animal I would be appalled.
If I had to choose between my dog or a random stranger, I'd save the dog. The loved ones can ***** at me all they like, but my dog would protect me from danger so I'm gonna do the same damn thing for him. He's like a brother, and he's closer than a stranger, and just sharing a species ain't enough to warrant abandoning a family member.

If we want to start that road - who do I save, the Englishman or the Frenchman? I mean, they're both human, but since the Englishman shares my nationality, I guess I can relate better and kinda owe it to him.

But no. My dog is more valuable to me than a stranger...and I don't give two shits who that stranger is. Never turn your back on family.
I understand you have a special bond with your dog, but that is YOUR dog and a stranger. What if you (a stranger to me) were hanging off a cliff and my dog was in danger. Wouldn't you want me to save you? Wouldn't you be begging and crying while I went over and saved Spot?
Or would you understand thinking to yourself "yeah, that guy really loves his Beagle, I should just let go and plummet to my doom for his emotional satisfaction." Maybe your dog would save you..