Poll: The X-Bone

Volrag

Jun 18, 2012
At the moment won't get one because it doesn't seem to offer any convenience over my laptop, and with all the current features it needs some pretty awesome games to convince me to get it

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
MorphingDragon said:
badgersprite said:
MorphingDragon said:
badgersprite said:
I am a console gamer, as having a gaming PC just isn't feasible in my current living situation.
You know, there's these things they call laptops. They're really good...
I have a laptop. It's not high-end enough to handle gaming.
Well then use the money you would normally use for buying consoles to buy a more powerful laptop.

I don't see what's not to get here. >.>
Why would I replace a relatively new laptop that fulfills all my needs as a student just so I could play high-end games on it? I don't know how expensive laptops are where you're from, but getting one decent enough to handle games is way more expensive than whatever price the PS4 is going to come out as, and getting a new laptop would mean $800 was wasted on this one.

Yokillernick

May 11, 2012
Since seeing the Amazon.co.uk price of £600 for the console and £90 per game I decided that with £1000 I can get myself a gaming PC that has better specs than the XBone and for games I will rely on Steam Sales, Humble Bundles, GoG.com, etc... Not because I'm a cheapskate but I really don't think that glorified TV Box deserves £600 or that the games on it deserve £90 each just because TEHY NEW UND SHINY GRAPHICS *drool*

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
MorphingDragon said:
badgersprite said:
MorphingDragon said:
badgersprite said:
I am a console gamer, as having a gaming PC just isn't feasible in my current living situation.
Well then use the money you would normally use for buying consoles to buy a more powerful laptop.

It'll crap out too quickly. I don't know anyone who considers gaming laptops worthwhile.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Woodsey said:
MorphingDragon said:
badgersprite said:
MorphingDragon said:
badgersprite said:

It'll crap out too quickly. I don't know anyone who considers gaming laptops worthwhile.
But think of all the things you could do with a laptop besides gaming! Like watch live sports while browsing the internet! GENI--wait.

WAIT.

OT:

I prefer playstation over the two, but I don't game much on le console either way, so everything should be fine. The conference mostly just gave me a laugh or two, not much else.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
MorphingDragon said:
badgersprite said:
MorphingDragon said:
badgersprite said:

As someone who's been looking up gaming laptops for the last week, I'll tell you! They're big, unwieldy, have less than 3 hours of battery, and are expensive as fuck. I doubt the Xbone and the ps4 would cost more than $1000 combined, but a laptop that can play high end games at 1080p on medium settings will easily cost about $1300. And if you already have a good laptop build for portability (and ya know, already cost a couple hundred dollars) why would you piss it away?

That feel when the pc gaming master race doesn't know what they're talking about >.>

MrWunderful

Filthy Console Peasant
May 27, 2013
PoolCleaningRobot said:
I never considered it. Microsoft would have needed to be pretty dazzling to get me on board. They're a shitty company and they would have screwed over their customers somewhere along the line. Their conference just gave everyone a preview of exactly how much screwing was going to happen. It was polite of them I guess

MrWunderful said:
Was going to get it and still probably am, depending on e3 and what else develops.

For the record "Xbone" was funny at first- now it just sounds childish.
You're new here and I feel like every time I see you post you say something positive about Xbox. I hope whatever you choose ends up working out for you
Hey thanks for noticing. Ive actually lurked here watching zero punctuation reviews for a while, but that is beside the point.

Is it an issue that I am choosing to stay positive about the new console instead of screaming about all the things are going to be terrible about it?

I want to wait until more info is released before I make my decision. I still have my reservations about the new Xbox but I do want it to succeed. All of my friends from "real life" (I know that sounds funny) are not serious gamers but they do really enjoy call of duty.

I'm hoping that this console is not a bust, because I know they are all REALLY looking forward to purchasing the Xbox one (without really caring about the issues that get discussed on this forum) and I want to continue playing online with them in the future. Its also the only time I get to talk to some of them, so I do have something (albeit small) personally invested in the new console.

That is why I voted in the manner I did.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Yokillernick said:
Since seeing the Amazon.co.uk price of £600 for the console and £90 per game I decided that with £1000 I can get myself a gaming PC that has better specs than the XBone and for games I will rely on Steam Sales, Humble Bundles, GoG.com, etc... Not because I'm a cheapskate but I really don't think that glorified TV Box deserves £600 or that the games on it deserve £90 each just because TEHY NEW UND SHINY GRAPHICS *drool*
Come again? That translates into 700 ?. Holy shit, that's a painful amount of money only to think about not to mention to actually spend on a TV box that won't play any games and eats up a monthly subscription fee. If they plan to sucker in casual gamers, they will have to price it a bit more competitively because even the dudebro demographic will think twice before spending $750 for the next iteration of Call of Duty.

MSTJedi

Feb 25, 2009
MorphingDragon said:
badgersprite said:
MorphingDragon said:
badgersprite said:

Seeing as I didn't get my current console, an Xbox 360, until the price went down to $300, there's no flippin' way a $300 PC, a laptop especially, would ever perform as well as a game-centered console (which the Xbone, unfortunately, isn't). Yes, computers can easily outperform a console, but not in the same price range. And as a husband and father with a severely limited entertainment budget, a console is the best way to go aside from a few older games that will run on my under-powered $400 2-year-old desktop.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
MrWunderful said:
I know what you mean. You can tell I don't like the Xbox, but there's no way its going to live up the insane snowball of negative hype Microsoft has created. There was an article about the head of Gamestop saying Microsoft was one of their supporters and I commented that Microsoft working with Gamestop was an interesting thought (given their common goal being to sell games) and some dude tried to rip my head off, ranting about consumer rights and the end of used games and whatnot. I look forward to e3 just as much as you :)

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Hey, I'm holding off on a definite opinion until E3. I think everyone else should, too. Until we see the exclusives, there's no call for jumping the gun.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
Glad to see that at time of writing only 8 people on this poll are getting the Xbone at all.

As far as I'm concerned, even if it had been good I wouldn't bother, and as a former console gamer myself, I think that its depressing to see just how far either the console gaming demographic, or microsoft's opinion of the console gaming demographic, has fallen in recent years.

Daystar Clarion said:
Sure, another Xbone thread, why not, it'a not like we've had eleventy thousand of these already ¬_¬
Oh look; another comment pointing out how we've had a lot of [insert thread name here] threads.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I was pretty interested in the final, official reveal and presentation of the thing.

Even though I abandoned the Xbox360 and stayed faithful to the PS3, I wasn't too certain about not getting 'the new XBOX'. During and especially after the reveal, however, it became obvious that my hopes and money are, once again, on Sony. It would take quite some dedication on their behalf to mess this one up now.

I am not sure about what it is the folks over at Microsoft are smoking, but it seems to bring with it some sort of reality distortion. First the Windows 8 shenanigans and now this? I get the Bluray drive. I get the 8 gigs of RAM. I completely don't get most of the marketingspeak or the 'instant switching between watching TV and playing games'. I already got that. Plenty of us already got that. Just switch from HDMIx to TV. Microsoft missed making sense on too many occasions there. They missed adding a DVR functionality that would bring some sense of making sense to the whole idea of TV-loopthrough. As it is, it's... a pretty dissociative experience.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
TheEndlessSleep said:
Glad to see that at time of writing only 8 people on this poll are getting the Xbone at all.

As far as I'm concerned, even if it had been good I wouldn't bother, and as a former console gamer myself, I think that its depressing to see just how far either the console gaming demographic, or microsoft's opinion of the console gaming demographic, has fallen in recent years.

Daystar Clarion said:
Sure, another Xbone thread, why not, it'a not like we've had eleventy thousand of these already ¬_¬
Oh look; another comment pointing out how we've had a lot of [insert thread name here] threads.
To be fair, there are a metric shit-ton of Xbone threads on the forums at the moment. It's part of the reason I've been staying away from Gaming Discussion the last few days.

I can only discuss the same topic for so long!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
If I bought an Xbox One I would break my streak of 38 years on the planet without having owned a games console, why would I jeopardise that? Especially as I have a couple of PCs already that are more than capable of playing games.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
Fappy said:
TheEndlessSleep said:

Daystar Clarion said:
To be fair, there are a metric shit-ton of Xbone threads on the forums at the moment. It's part of the reason I've been staying away from Gaming Discussion the last few days.

I can only discuss the same topic for so long!
Yes, but my point was that while there are an unecessary number of threads posted about the X-box - there are an unecessary number of threads posted about EVERY big news story.

Equally, there is a veritable army of comments telling people that discussing the news in so many different threads is largely irrelevant.

It's news; people want to talk about it. I was just saying that if you don't then go to another thread that has nothing to do with it. :)

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Microsoft did not give me any incentive to switch from Sony. Sony, InfAMOUS. Microsoft, Mo-cap Dog (which is probably coming to the PS4 anyway).

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Microsoft turned me off with the shitty build quality of the 360. There wasn't much I think they could have done to get me back, and now they've managed to push me farther away.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
Where is the "Wasn't sure if I was going to get it, still not sure" option?
Or the "Was going to get it, but not sure now"... etc.

This is a biased poll :p

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
In a time where developers have caught on that it's better for them NOT to go exclusively with one console over another, microsoft must really be stupid if they think they can cram all sorts of crap into their console like DRM and used game tax while offereing next to nothing on the posstivie side and still think they'll dominate when there's a much more attractive looking console right next door that will end up playing almost all the same games...
Really... the time for console format wars is over. I think it should be more like DVD players: there is only one game disk format, and every console can play it.
Consoles serve games, not the other way around.