Poll: "They just hate it because it's popular."

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I don't think that I have hated anything on the sole reason of it being "popular" I tend to dislike something because I quite simply don't like it. For example, I don't have an opinion on Twilight because I have avoided it, I have never read the books, I haven't seen the movies. I dislike "Halo" because shooters aren't really my thing. I have played Halo, to see if I did like it, and it turns out that I didn't. It just didn't engage me. I will give something a shot before I say that "I don't like it".
There is no shame in liking something popular.

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
tigermilk said:
Anyone else think the poll should jsut have two options 'yes' and 'don't lie'?
Yea.
I have hated stuff I used to like when it became popular. Took me some time to realize how stupid that is.

hailfire

Mar 5, 2011
Zhukov said:
Since you're reading this on an internet forum, it's probably safe to assume you've all encountered this particular phrase or some variation thereof.

It inevitably emerges when someone who enjoys a popular and/or successful product encounters someone who does not. Common examples include Avatar, Call of Duty and Harry Potter. The accusation is generally accompanied by the suggestion that the 'hater' is motivated by the desire to be an independently minded person who does not simply follow the crowd.

Really? I mean... really?

Does anyone actually do this? Because I find it a bit hard to swallow.

Seriously, I'm curious. Have you - yes, you - ever decided to hate something purely because other people like it?
I don't see what's so hard to swallow. if something gets popular, then people like it. inevitably then, stupid people also like it, and it's because of them that I hate it. I used to like harry potter, but as soon as a whole bunch of really annoying people started going on about whether dumbldore was gay, and whether snape was good or evil, I got too pissed off at them to like it anymore. mystery solved.

GingerCactus

Jul 14, 2010
When I was younger this was true, I never listened to any pop music because I was going through a "rock" phase and to me the entire pop charts just blended together to make a sea of noise. When I actually grew up and listened to some, I found I liked some of it, still dislike a lot of it, but I try and like it, instead of just dismissing it because it's popular.

Does this count as a yes, not sure, or other?

EDIT:
hailfire said:
I don't see what's so hard to swallow. if something gets popular, then people like it. inevitably then, stupid people also like it, and it's because of them that I hate it. I used to like harry potter, but as soon as a whole bunch of really annoying people started going on about whether dumbldore was gay, and whether snape was good or evil, I got too pissed off at them to like it anymore. mystery solved.
This

I am on a really thin fence over my opinions about portal.
On one side is an ingenious puzzle game with a wonderfully dark sense of humour and mind-meltingly brilliant puzzles
On the other are annoying twats who keep yelling "The cake is a lie" and masturbate to pictures of the companion cube.
The twist? They're both the same garden

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
Ilikemilkshake said:
Yup, Twilight i hated for.. well at least a year for precisely that reason, then i decided i would stop being a hypocrite cos im always saying you should form your own opinion on things, so i watched all 3 twilight movies.

After watching i can safely say i still dont like twilight.. but at least im not a hypocrite.
Aren't there four Twilight movies?
OP: No I don't ever do that, however if i've seen something and not liked it then it annoys me more if its popular, like Citizen Kane, very popular but I didn't hate on it, then I watched it & it was terrible, but since everyone said it was so good I hated it even more.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I don't hate it because it's popular, but I present my hatred of popular things more often then that of the obscure, probably because popular comes up more often in conversation and because I see little reason to berate something that isn't even known, that's enough of a punishment I think.

KiraTaureLor

Mar 27, 2011
Flac00 said:
KiraTaureLor said:
Zhukov said:
Since you're reading this on an internet forum, it's probably safe to assume you've all encountered this particular phrase or some variation thereof.

It inevitably emerges when someone who enjoys a popular and/or successful product encounters someone who does not. Common examples include Avatar, Call of Duty and Harry Potter. The accusation is generally accompanied by the suggestion that the 'hater' is motivated by the desire to be an independently minded person who does not simply follow the crowd.

Really? I mean... really?

Does anyone actually do this? Because I find it a bit hard to swallow.

Seriously, I'm curious. Have you - yes, you - ever decided to hate something purely because other people like it?

I don't hate something because it's purely popular, but a lot of games, movies, and books I dislike are popular. I have a unique taste.

However I do resent certain things for being popular because other things deserve it better.
Which means you dislike/hate it because it has popularity. Resentment is very close to hatred and dislike.

no its not close, that's why I used 3 different words.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Absolutely, I wont care about some bad/mediocre musician/movie/game but when people start hailing that as the pinnacle of progress I be hatin

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I hate things because I do. If its popular, it only amplifies the hate. I don't think there is anything out there that I hated simply because its popular.

Your once and future Fanboy

The Norwegian One
Feb 11, 2009
I dont automaticly hate something because its popular, but i am usually more judgemental or exspect more from it.
I believe that it should be popular based on merit and/or on quality, therefore I like games like Final Fantasy 7 or Call of Duty 4 : modern warfare, while I dont like Halo or Madden.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Thundero13 said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Yup, Twilight i hated for.. well at least a year for precisely that reason, then i decided i would stop being a hypocrite cos im always saying you should form your own opinion on things, so i watched all 3 twilight movies.

After watching i can safely say i still dont like twilight.. but at least im not a hypocrite.
Aren't there four Twilight movies?
There's 4 books but only 3 movies so far, next is coming out next year (i think)
yay.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I don't think so. Sometimes ive been too lofty minded to really appreciate something that runs on mass appeal, but as a general rule, I recover and see the strength of most popular things. And if I don't like something popular, I at least acknowledge that it must be doing something right and wonder what that is, whether I see it or not.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
No, I haven't. Whatever I encounter, I judge on it's own merits. A lot of the time, things that are popular are popular because they're good, like Avatar or Harry Potter. Sometimes there are some flukes with this system. Bad things are hugely popular (Transformers Films, Twilight), and sometimes good things aren't successful (Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World).

theLadyBugg

May 24, 2010
Yes --- case in point, Justin Beiber. I've never heard him sing, seen a music video, whatever. But I know that I'm not interested in hearing him sing, and seeing/hearing him mentioned everywhere gets me pretty seriously irritated.

I don't think it's hypocritical, here's why: A thing I could've easily lived my life without ever knowing about is now regularly invading my space because it is popular, and the only ones to blame for that are the people who made it popular -- ie Beiber and his parents, manager, publicist, producer, etc. They crafted a thing to appeal to a large and noisy audience.

Do I hate the "brand" that is Justin Beiber? Yes. How did I come to hate it? Rampant popularity forced me to acknowledge it. Ergo, I hate JB because it is popular.

Semitendon

Aug 4, 2009
I voted yes.

But, that is because I have one, and only one, instance of hating something because so many other people like it.

Fuck the New York Yankees.

I don't like baseball much anyway, but a few years back, it seemed I was running into guys who loved the team, and girls who loved that asshole Derek Jeter, constantly.

I am a fan of the Boston Red Sox now ( for those that don't know, the Red Sox are the Yankees sworn enemies)

Other than that, everything I've ever hated came with an at least somewhat valid reason.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Eh. I don't buy the "hate it because its popular" idea. People will hate it for some other reason and the fact that it becomes popular means that whatever annoys them is magnified.

"You just hate it because it's popular" is nothing but a cop-out argument issued by people who can't fathom that other people may actually think differently.

Goldenkitten01

Aug 23, 2010
Probably the closest I ever came was FF13. I heard all the stuff about how it pretty much had everything that made an RPG an RPG ripped out of it and went into the game expecting to hate it. Thankfully I DID hate it so I feel a little bit better about making presumptions but still I try to avoid this sort of thing. Other than that one example I can't think of many cases, I'm sure my perception has been swayed before but that's the only one I can think of where that sort of fits, and even then my hate was more based on opinions of what the game could be and not just because it was popular (for no good reason).

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
well i always thought LOTR seemed kind of shitty, but i actually watched the 1st one yesterday and its quite good, watching the second this weekend