Poll: This is for all the Gamers out there!

Ayrtonh

May 10, 2010
Okay, so all the time we have this problem of companies not listening to consumers and then the consumers don't get what they want thus a very un-fun argument usually occurs. So as I am starting up my new game which aims to change quite a bit about gaming in essence, I was wondering this.

Would you still, in this time of amazing graphics and realistic rendering, buy a over the top 2D game if it had good game-play and story? If not, why?

Edit: As it was brought up this fast, I do plan on sticking to my idea which is 2D, and it will stay the same. But I would also like to know what you guys look for that makes a 2D RPG type game fun for you so I can try and make it more open to even more people.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
No, not really. Graphics are important to me, it's the way I immerse myself in the game.

Maybe for my phone though, if you'd release it on Android!

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Many 2D and low end graphics games have come out recently, with many being successful, such as Terraria, Minecraft, etc. Personally, I have been playing "The Binding of Issac" on steam, and it runs with flash player, so yea it could work if it was well made

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Ayrtonh said:
Would you still, in this time of amazing graphics and realistic rendering, buy a over the top 2D game if it had good game-play and story? If not, why?
I don't see why not. Indie games are doing well nowadays and there are plenty of gamers, myself included, who love interesting/unusual games regardless of graphics or gameplay issues.

Okay, so all the time we have this problem of companies not listening to consumers and then the consumers don't get what they want thus a very un-fun argument usually occurs.
Umm... I hope you're not taking this too far. I'm all for people creating a new and unique vision of gaming to try and expand what videogames are and can be, but please don't start listening to everybody who has advice/complaints. Stick to your vision. Start listening to too many people and you'll get conflicting advice which leaves you with a compromized vision and no clear direction.

Still, good luck, dude(tte).

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Yes, I will. And in fact, I do.
There are things that 2D actually does better than 3D. And 2D graphics can still be gorgeous. Just look at anything that Vanillaware has made.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I'm weird in the sense that I do like a certain aesthetic standard in my games... but if it's engaging enough (gameplay/story) I'd play pretty much any game. Why do you think I replay Deus Ex once every couple of years, because I think the graphix are top notch?!

Ayrtonh

May 10, 2010
@swimmingrock

Haha, I plan to stick to my vision but at the same time I want to hear what I can do to help make the game more open and enjoyable to everyone.
Thanks for the advice dude(tte)
P.s. I am a dude :p

Zavage

Aug 30, 2009
I think graphics and aesthetics are often confused. Take "Braid," for example. Cheesy graphics, plain old 2-D platform look we've had since the start of gaming. But it is SO aesthetically pleasing! EC had a lot to say about this, check it out: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/graphics-vs.-aesthetics

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Yes, I would, I do, and I plan to. Have you seen the trailers for Rayman Origins? It looks like the best goddamn thing ever. I also plan to buy Sonic Generations, which seems to be about 60% 2D.

Uzi-Bazooka

Jul 6, 2011
Gameplay is the most important thing, story second. I still play games like Doom, Starship Titanic...even Space Quest, just because they're FUN. Now, I feel the same way as anyone else when I see really awesome, beautiful graphics - but I am fully willing to ignore bad graphics for a good game. Well-done 2D graphics are even better!

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
The thing is that I liked gaming when it was 2D, but I really fell in love with it when I got my N64 and started 3D gaming. That's not to say I don't still love a good many 2D games. I still love older games like Earthbound, the early Zeldas (and Marios and Metroids), Shadowrun, and many others. And I love current titles like Outland. But there's something about being in a 3D world that I love so much more.

So if you're asking if I won't play a game because it's 2D: That's not the case. If you're asking if 2D is a barrier to overcome: That's closer to the truth.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
More than likely not. Unless it was *exceptionally* fun, I can't see myself paying for a 2D game, not when there are fully realized 3D worlds out there to explore.

EDIT: If Captcha can recognize that what I entered was incorrect, what's this bullshit about digitizing pre-digital texts?

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I've always been fond of good 2D graphics.

I'd love to see more "classic" style adventure games in glorious 2D.
So far I've only come across the Runaway series, which I quite liked.

I also enjoy old school JRPG's in 2D.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
No, I'm a graphics whore(pleasedonthurtme). Never really been a fan of 2D either. When I started playing games they were going into the 3D era, so there's not that much nostalgia in it for me either.