Poll: This is for all the Gamers out there!

Mechanical Cat Fish

May 16, 2009
I like a lot of 2D games, and don't really even think of 2D as somehow being graphically inferior to 3D. A lot of 2D games look better than 3D ones because the animation is so well done or because it fully embraces an aesthetic which doesn't work as well in 3D.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
Graphics are unimportant to me. I've played more Morrowind, Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft and Medieval Total War this year than other games.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
If the story was really good, the style was really pretty (not 8bit), game play was good, and was appropriately priced.

JediMB said:

Meanwhile, a black and white movie would in most cases deprive the viewer of potentially important visual cues, ...
I disagree. watching black and white film from before there was colour, you didnt need the colour cue. bu I'll damn myself with a modern film and say in schindler's list, aside from the girl in the red dress, colour was insignificant, and could have been done completely without colour and had the girl be symbolic in another way. Watching black and white TV such as the twilight zone showed you didnt need colour. You had to focus more on elements and emotional plot cues, or making a better (read varying) wardrobe.

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
I said other as I would buy it but I don't think the graphics matter, aslong as I can tell whats going on the graphics aren't important, obviously if a game looks really nice it can be a big pro right off the bat but if not then it doesn't matter...
Oh also, 2D RPG? SIGN ME UP! I think it could be made fun by... umm... being a metroidvania? Most 2D RPG's are I think... yeah sorry I can't treally say what could improve it if I don't know what's already in it :p But i've yet to play a 2D RPG I haven't enjoyed unless i'm forgetting anything so yeah... sign me up...

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
JediMB said:
Yes. Two-dimensional graphics are in no way bad graphics.

Vrach said:
Nope. Same reason why I wouldn't go to a theatre and pay a ticket to see a black and white silent movie. Or read a book carved on blocks of stone.
Fail analogy is fail.

The lack of a Z-axis doesn't take anything away for a game experience designed on a two-dimensional plane.

Meanwhile, a black and white movie would in most cases deprive the viewer of potentially important visual cues, and silent movies would make implementing dialogue a clumsier process.

The "books carved of stone" thing doesn't even deserve an explanation for why it's a nonsensical thing to say.
It's just another way of saying "I don't buy media using ridiculously and needlessly outdated means of presentation".

That said, are we talking about 2D axis or 2D graphics? 2D axis is fine, but if that's what we're talking about, the thread is kinda useless - the existence of platformers like Limbo shows gamers are definitely open to buying such titles. But I believe the OP is talking about 2D graphics and for the most part, I'm not really a fan of those. There are people who like some games like that, like VVVVVV, but it's just not doing it for me.

Oh and while "the lack of a Z-axis doesn't take anything away for a game experience designed on a two-dimensional plane", games which do have a z axis tend to be more interesting for most people.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
2D does not mean the graphics are bad. Seriously all 2D Donkey Kong games look amazing. Just take a look at the colour palette used in the SNES games. They still look great. Splosion Man is a really fun game, one of my favourites actually and that game simply wouldn't work in 3D. Now even a game like VVVVVV is fun even though it's ugly and could as might have been a free flash game.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
An Arcade game, or something for a hand held, at a cheaper price, yeah, I could probably go for it if it looks good enough, I loved Limbo, and still play Pokemon after all.

A full priced, full release game for console. Very, very unlikely. To me it'd just feel like a major piece is missing.

And just to get this point out as well, are graphics more important than either story or gameplay. No. Are graphics still important though? Yes.

andreas3K

Feb 6, 2010
I don't play 2D games. I don't have a problem with the graphics, but I don't really like 2D gameplay.

naam

Dec 16, 2010
2D or 3D irrelevant for my purchase, depends on the game
For me, Limbo >> CoD

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
2D can be just as good as 3D, anyone who disagrees is blind to good gameplay. If cutting edge graphics alone made the game then Super Meat Boy would be worthless, turns out what matters in a game is how much fun I'm having the graphics are just how well presented that fun is.

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
Gameplay is at least 10times more important than graphics.
Graphics are only needed in order to convey the image....you know, so you can see what you're doing...
Some of my favorites are 2D.
Some games work best in 2D.

some great 2D titles of today that come up immediately:
Cave Story
Terraria
MegaMan 9
Limbo
Super Meat Boy
Braid
VVVVVV
Machinarium
SpaceChem

Also many DS games:
pokemon
Advance wars
LunarKnights
Castslevania
Sure a lot of them are moving to 3D...but 3D graphics are really just a pretty dress
(sometimes a really ugly dress with a really low polygon count.)

EDIT: After going back to look at some of the first 3D graphics games, I couldn't stand it...it hurt me...choose 2D or 3D and do it WELL....

megarik

Feb 2, 2011
Cortex command is the best example i have for this question its an 2d game but i stil have more fun of it than other 3d games such as Call of Duty and other but that is because it has an wonderful gameplay and good community but some games like Call of Duty and the Battlefield series etc. would not be very fun without 3d.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
graphics don't really matter much to me, yes it's nice to see a really beatiful game out there but if the gameplay is a load of bollocks then i'll stop palying it sooner than a bad looking game with good gameplay.
'Sides astethics are far more important and definetly hold the graphics up as a frame:
Boring Brown Shooters are absolutely boring to look at , while for example in...Beyond good and Evil the graphics weren't exactly great but the astethic of the game really held up pretty well for me.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Somethings work better in 2D. Somethings work better in 3D. If I want something that happens to work better in 2D, I will play it.

I will also watch cartoons despite both live-action and 3D-animated programs existing.

Iggy Sent Me

Dec 20, 2010
I think the flaw in this logic is that there's an impression here that 2D games can't have good graphics, or that 3D lends itself better to gameplay than 2D. Both of those are wrong. Plenty of games would have been far worse in 3D than 2D, and more important that photorealistic graphics are an aesthetic style. Beyond gray and brown, I mean. 2D games have lost nothing over the years, plenty of them are still around.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
Yes, graphics don't matter much at all, and even then, 2d games can still look amazing (Trine, Limbo, Braid).