Poll: Thoughts on a Fallout game set in another part of the world?

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
There has to be one where I live Cardiff! (Capital of Wales). There should be a game mechanic where all the enemies get a super buff, and their behaviour is switched to hyper aggressive at night. This would show how dangerous and down right terrifying, it is to try and walk around Cardiff at night.

Quick time events to avoid drunken staggering fourteen year old girls in short skirts, and stealth elements to avoid large groups of shaven louts (or super mutants) who have just asked you, "Wot tha Fuk'r yew lookin ah?".

Also more bullets would be nice as when I suffered Fallout 3 I ran out all the time.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
You say "the lore wouldn't fit, america only" I say "lazy writers and defeatism". But then I couldn't give a toss about Fallout Lore. Fan boy's screamed bloody murder about Fallout 3 but that was great even though "Not top down isn't Fallout" or something like that. Fear of change is no excuse.

Just do some fucking research, find a modern history setting of any country that looks fun, ramp it up into a futuristic setting, pick up a god damn history book and work the themes, humour blah blah etc of the time period into the game. If you can't do it work on game-play and leave the writing to someone from the chosen region who can.

M4t3us

Oct 13, 2009
The European Commonwealth has been pretty fleshed out in the Fallout Bible, I think there's more than enough material there to make a good Fallout game. My previous post still withstanding.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Africa's already a wasteland. I can't imagine anyone would waste a nuke on it, except maybe the Mediterranean coast.
Might be interesting to see some mutated animals though... So maybe the radiation clouds drifted out over the savannah and into the jungle.

For my money, it would be interesting to see more about Asia and how the Chinese society has rebuilt itself since the war. Or possibly Europe.

SuperSamio64

Nov 4, 2010
I'd like that, yeah. Couldn't be Eastern Europe, mind, that would be a bit too S.T.A.L.K.E.R-ish. Somewhere like New Zealand would be good, maybe even Britain. How do we know other governments didn't build vaults or bunkers?

SuperSamio64

Nov 4, 2010
BeeGeenie said:
Africa's already a wasteland.
Hardly. It's a wasteland in the same way that America is, just because it's got deserts. There are a hell of a lot of cities (in pretty much every African country, not just South Africa).

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
SuperSamio64 said:
BeeGeenie said:
Hardly. It's a wasteland in the same way that America is, just because it's got deserts. There are a hell of a lot of cities (in pretty much every African country, not just South Africa).
Actually, I was referring to the genocide, mass starvation, teeming masses living in squalid conditions, limited access to clean water, oppression, and roving bands of murderous thugs. Or just the simple fact that it's the poorest and most underdeveloped region of the world.

All you need to do is add radiation and a few vaults, and Africa is the "Fallout" universe.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
It'd be interesting for a spin-off title, I think. And if there really must be a heavy dose of 'Murica in it to be Fallout, it could be a nation that, in the Fallout universe, recieved much support and influence from the United States, akin to South Vietnam in the real world timeline.

And if the protagonist has to be an American, he or she could be a sailor or an aviator on some experimental NCR/Institute vessel that works as some sort of ambassador for their interests in the new country.

And while there was certainly no Vault Tec abroad, I'm sure the rest of the world's nations got some of their people underground in time. Or if the spin-off title is set in the third world, it could simply be that the damage was less because it wasn't directly targeted the same way the US or China was.

Hell, maybe Mexico would work? If we're too uncomfortable to stray any further from "home" than that.

Itdoesthatsometimes

Aug 6, 2012
I think Japan would be the perfect not in the U.S. location for a Fallout game. Giant mutated lizards, Ghoul ninjas, Mech samurais with greaser leather jackets, I swear japan has already done those concepts. Almost like they know something about being nuked.

After World War II the U.S. sent some of our most innovative quality individuals to help rebuild Japan. The new ideas that these individuals had meant much change for the U.S., so the innovators and the U.S. were mutually happy about trying things out in Japan first. U.S. developed the American dream, Japan developed a system based on logic. Face it in the Fallout universe who do you really think developed energy weapons.

Japan's current culture, while having an extensive history all their own, tends to borrow from other cultures. One being 1950 era U.S.A. As alien as the 1950's looks in a Fallout game, take a look at a Japanese Greasers. http://www.loneleeplanet.com/2011/05/the-tokyo-rockabilly-club/

There is totally a Fallout game asking to be set in Japan.

I am thinking China was at a ground war with Japan. When China had to call off resources to deal with the U.S. threat. Tokyo would obviously be bombed. But what happens to Japan next.

I would say that this would not have to be a Bethesda developed game just published by them. And in my opinion, I think it would be cool if a Japanese developer did it more like the original Fallout games rather that with Bethesda's engine. Get something solid out there quicker and see how much attention it gets before going full on triple A game.

I would play this game. Then probably complain that I had to wait three more years before I could do it on Bethesda's engine.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Th37thTrump3t said:
suitepee7 said:
working it into the lore might be a bit tricky, maybe someone emerges from a vault and sets sail for a different region of the world for whatever reason.

that being said, i would find it considerably more interesting to explore some different settings. bombed out america has been going on for a while now
It wouldn't necessarily be too hard to implement into the lore. Surely other nations took notice to how fucked the situation was between China and the US before the bombs dropped and knew something bad was coming. I'm fairly certain that the many European countries and especially China would have enacted some sort of bomb-proofing or radiation-proofing plans similar if not completely identical to America's "Vaults".

Think of how much Vault-Tec would have made selling their Vaults in other countries.
Pretty that wasn't on Europe's mind when they began to nuke the Middle East and the Middle East all of Europe in the Resource Wars shortly before the US and China bombed each other. and Vault-Tec was contracted by the US after the resource war before the end of it and worked with the US to the extent that it basically was part of the US.

Vaults were not meant to be used like how they were. Not all of the vaults they wanted to were made because of costs, and it was actually supposed to be used for human experimentation and they didn't expect to actually use them as Nuclear Fallout shelters.

The rest of the world is fucked, the US in Fallout is essentially the only place left that you can survive. Like someone wrote above Tennpenny did indeed come great Britian but had to move to the US if they wanted to actually be able to do things. Considering how bad of a state the US is in, can you imagine how unhabitable it must be in other countries? Since there was no vaults, nearly everyone was most likely mutated or just plain dead. Most likely Feral Ghouls instead of just Ghouls.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I don't think it would work. Fallout has always been centered not just on the vaults, but on a "Popular Mechanics 1950s" view of what future tech would look like that's pretty specifically American, often combined with a similarly specific satire of Americana. I don't doubt you could make a good post-apocalyptic game elsewhere, but it wouldn't feel like Fallout. That being the case, it would probably be wiser to scrap the bindings that the Fallout brand would put on such a game and come up with something entirely new.

Aug 31, 2012
SuperSamio64 said:
I'd like that, yeah. Couldn't be Eastern Europe, mind, that would be a bit too S.T.A.L.K.E.R-ish. Somewhere like New Zealand would be good, maybe even Britain. How do we know other governments didn't build vaults or bunkers?
You don't even need governments to do it. Some rich dude like Mr. House, a bunch of survivalists in a remote location, old mines, natural cave systems...they had a bunch of kids survive in those caverns in Fallout 3, underground rail systems, boats at sea, remote Islands, disused bunkers, secret corporate research facilities in remote locations... a pretty long list.

The excuse of "they said only the US that built vaults so we can't have it anywhere else" is pretty poor. Other than being more work and more of a risk for the developers and publishers the only decent excuse for not setting it anywhere else is "I like having it set in the US and I want it to stay there", which I think is pretty much what most people actually mean.

Alistair Tenpenny made it from Britain to the US. Even if he got a lift from some sort of US expediton (though god knows why they'd bother sailing across the Atlantic with all the problems back home to deal with), it still shows that there are people alive in Britain with the brains and ability to set up a successful business venture when they arrive from nothing, they are clearly not all feral ghouls or dead. There is plenty of ground between the state of the US and lifeless radioactive wasteland for countries "worse off than the US" to fit into. People who say it can't be done within the lore are talking bullshit, it just doesn't fit with their perception of the fallout universe.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
I wouldn't be against the idea, the idea of Fallout: China has always interested me, but not for a full title...maybe for a DLC however.

The idea that VAULT-TEC could have made vault in other countries isn't too much of a stretch IMO. As well, if the concept of the 1950's can last until the year 2077 in the US, then its reasonable to assume other countries would have followed suit as well. So we'd have 50's concept technology everywhere in the world, with China slightly more advanced (as they are in canon).

England-London seems like a good choice, as well as say, German or France. Having big land marks is always good, so the Eiffel Tower works for that, plus we could throw in themes from WW2 into that region as well. Super Mutant Nazis anyone?

As I said, I wouldn't be against any of this, Fallout is suppose to be fairly tongue-in-cheek for the most part, the most recent additions were overly serious, so having a bit more silliness wouldn't hurt.

However, I'd personally like to see it take place in the Chicago/Mid-West area. Lots of untouched territory there.

However, I doubt we'll see another Fallout until the next-gen of consoles are released, the PS3 and 360 proved to be WAY behind the times when it came to New Vegas. Having Vegas for example split into 3 parts simply sucked and only had to be done because of the hardware limitation of the consoles.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
While sure I'd like to see Fallout in a new location (I think someone suggested a game set in the Amazon Rainforest, no seriously the way they described it sounded awesome), the single most important thing the 4th installment needs is progression. I'm sick of seeing the world as a fucked-to-death desert, when it's been established through the series that there are vault dwellers actively trying to make the world a better place, by setting up communities, helping scientific programs to bring back plant-life etc.
And I get it, deserts are what Fallout is, but you can throw a couple shades of green in here and there alongside some larger settlements and still keep what makes Fallout Fallout, ya know?

Itdoesthatsometimes

Aug 6, 2012
Zenn3k-I hope you are wrong about having to get a new console for the next Fallout game. I do not think I have it in me to get the a PS4, maybe a Xbox 720, but I will always need a computer maybe I just need to become a PC gamer. That being said though Skyrim ran pretty well on my PS3 after a few patches. I think Bethesda will put out Fallout 4 on this current generation. They are suppose to be making an announcement about it soon. If Fallout 4 is waiting for PS4, I want software to use my PS3 controller on my PC. I might sell every thing else aside from my controllers.

Just so I am still on topic, I still stand by my idea about Fallout: Japan Wasteland of the Rising Sun

felbot

May 11, 2011
GTwander said:
psicat said:
No, because it would stop being Fallout.
That's what people said about BoS, Tactics and the changeover to no.3 and so forth.
It stopped being Fallout when they stopped making the games along the lines of "Battle Chess".

I for one embrace the idea of using another country as the backdrop, because America will still exist in the minds of the people there as a major cornerstone to the end of the world. They would either blame us for what's going on, or assume we are the last standing civilization left and try to migrate here somehow. You can't escape the presence of the united American front in that universe, regardless of where you are. We are like rock stars of the apocalypse.

It would be awesome to be an American in a foreign land set in the Fallout Universe. Everyone would hate you...

Wait... now shits getting too real.
ok first of all, in those examples you brought up people where outraged over new gameplay which is not the same as a new setting.

switching locations would essentially take everything away, the humour wouldn't work outside of America, none of the factions would be there,the only thing that could be there would be gameplay, which is pretty much oblivion with guns.

its gonna be a fucking mess

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Canada is probably the only other country that would work because America Annexed Canada before the war, and thus it is possible that Canada would have vaults, and other American like things.

SuperSamio64

Nov 4, 2010
BeeGeenie said:
SuperSamio64 said:
BeeGeenie said:
Actually, I was referring to the genocide, mass starvation, teeming masses living in squalid conditions, limited access to clean water, oppression, and roving bands of murderous thugs. Or just the simple fact that it's the poorest and most underdeveloped region of the world.

All you need to do is add radiation and a few vaults, and Africa is the "Fallout" universe.
Ah. I figured you meant geographically.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Zenn3k said:
The idea that VAULT-TEC could have made vault in other countries isn't too much of a stretch IMO. As well, if the concept of the 1950's can last until the year 2077 in the US, then its reasonable to assume other countries would have followed suit as well. So we'd have 50's concept technology everywhere in the world, with China slightly more advanced (as they are in canon).
Considering they planned for like 1000 vaults and were only able to make 100 or so, I doubt they would have made them in any other country if their biggest contractor the US before the War couldn't afford it while the rest of the world was in the Resource Wars.

So no, they didn't make any Vaults anywhere else, plus it has been said (pretty damn sure) that Vault-Tec was basically part of the Government they worked with each other so much.

Plus the Vault's original intentions weren't to actually survive a real Nuclear Blast but to do Human Experiments, it just doubled when the bombs literally did drop.