Poll: To DRM or not to DRM.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Soopy said:
Good post, your point is quite clear.

I can sympathize with your point of view, but what would you do to negate the need for DRM? Quite clearly there is a need, as it exists.
They do need some form of DRM, because unfortunately piracy does happen, whether or not pirates were ever going to purchase the game or not is largely irrelevant, you have to assume they would have or you're not going to last in business long.
You're making an assumption that DRM will prevent even a single person from pirating the game. It does work in *some* cases, but most of the time it just gets in the buyers way, and not the pirates.

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
Requia said:
Soopy said:

I can sympathize with your point of view, but what would you do to negate the need for DRM? Quite clearly there is a need, as it exists.
They do need some form of DRM, because unfortunately piracy does happen, whether or not pirates were ever going to purchase the game or not is largely irrelevant, you have to assume they would have or you're not going to last in business long.
You're making an assumption that DRM will prevent even a single person from pirating the game. It does work in *some* cases, but most of the time it just gets in the buyers way, and not the pirates.
That is purely because of the way it is implemented. I have no argument that it is implemented badly.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Soopy said:
Requia said:
Soopy said:

That is purely because of the way it is implemented. I have no argument that it is implemented badly.
There's not really a good implementation, you're trying to force the users computer to do something, but the user has complete control over the computer. And it only takes one person to figure it out, then s/he can write a program that does it for everyone else.

There's really only two ways to make DRM that's the least bit effective, make the game only able to run on a closed platform (consoles), or require the game to be online in order to get assets (see, Diablo III and SimCity freakouts). Both of those are still pretty iffy, a couple of the handhelds had serious piracy problems, and most online only games get cracked eventually, its only ones that genuinely offer a better experience on official servers it works at all.

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
Requia said:
Soopy said:
Requia said:
Soopy said:

There's not really a good implementation, you're trying to force the users computer to do something, but the user has complete control over the computer. And it only takes one person to figure it out, then s/he can write a program that does it for everyone else.

There's really only two ways to make DRM that's the least bit effective, make the game only able to run on a closed platform (consoles), or require the game to be online in order to get assets (see, Diablo III and SimCity freakouts). Both of those are still pretty iffy, a couple of the handhelds had serious piracy problems, and most online only games get cracked eventually, its only ones that genuinely offer a better experience on official servers it works at all.
Or, you use a service such as Steam that also allows for extra benefits to the end user. OR design a method of DRM that will do its job without impacting the end user at all.

Link the software to the Windows licence, or something. I'm not a programmer, I've no idea.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Soopy said:
Requia said:
Soopy said:
Requia said:
Soopy said:

Or, you use a service such as Steam that also allows for extra benefits to the end user. OR design a method of DRM that will do its job without impacting the end user at all.

Link the software to the Windows licence, or something. I'm not a programmer, I've no idea.
Steam is completely and utterly ineffective.