Poll: Torchlight 2, everything Diablo 3 should have?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Korten12 said:
With the recent news of Diablo 3, I decided to check out Torchlight 2's site.

This is what I have found:

[HEADING=3]Multiplayer:[/HEADING]

Play with your friends over the internet for free. No subscriptions, no item sales. And, our new matchmaking peer-to-peer service lets you find friends, start and join games for exciting co-op play. Of course, you can play single-player offline as well.

(I also heard myself it has LAN, which I believe Diablo 3 doesn't have)

[HEADING=3]Moddability[/HEADING]

Torchlight II will release with an all new version of TorchEd, the Torchlight editor. Players will have the option to create their own mods, adding even more content to the world. Have your friends download the same mod and play together.

http://www.torchlight2game.com/about

Torchlight 2 considering 1's price point, will also be cheap compared to Diablo 3.

So what do you guys think?
While I would prefer the multiplayer to be handled more or less like TL2...I dont think I really care enough. Torchlight 1, while a decent game...was nothing more than diablo 1 with cartoony graphics. I demand more from my games nowadays...and the diablo universe is just infinitely much better.

I have been annoyed at battle.net before, for several reasons...but I'll simply have take it up the ass because there is no way in hell I have the willpower to boycott D3.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Torchlight 2 seems to be more consumer friendly. Meaning the creators don't care for money as much as they care about the quality of their product. I'm going with Torchlight 2. I will never buy a game with always-on DRM.

MajWound

Mar 18, 2009
I'll take both because I'm rich and spoiled and have lots of free time. I have NEVER been disappointed in a Blizzard game and I'm currently having a blast in Torchlight.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Blizzard does not get my money for D3 for the same reason they wont get my money for SC2. No offline play= no sale. And I know you can play single player offline in SC2 but you can't play multiplayer lan, screw that.

Also mods greatly extend the life of a game.

NooNameLeft

Sep 15, 2009
Xzi said:
syltman said:
Diablo 3 will most likely blow torchlight away in terms of gameplay. You can clearly notice amazing amount of thoughts that have gone into the gameplay itself and how the well designed the art itself is in diablo 3, it's on a whole other level then torchlight 1-2. However I will agree somewhat about the auction house being a bit of a let down but I will just not use it.
I don't think you got the memo. Gameplay in both games consists left and right-clicking, the effects of which change and scale in power as you level up. The difference being that Torchlight 2 has more variation in those effects and the power of them thanks to far more character customization depth.
Diablo 3 will have much more variety in character customization and this is why.

If you bothered to max a character in Torchlight you ended up with a character that use 2-3 maxed active skills and some maxed passive skills (just like in Diablo 2).

Diablo 3 improve this system by removing skill points, and yes removing skill points from the game does improve variety because now your character will always have 6 usefull active skills that have maxed points (in a matter of speaking) plus 3 passive skills.
For example this is how a Sorcerer build in Diablo 2 will look like:
1 point into warmth
1 point into teleport
1 point into frozen armor
Max blizzard
(all the other points are used to improve blizzard)
In this case you have 3 active skills but only 1 of then actully have 20(max) points and that just even more silly.
Torchlight 2 will probably be the same.

This is how a build in Diablo 3 might look like:
Active skills:
1.Blizzard
2.Teleport
3.Mirror Image
4.Storm Armor
5.Disintegrate
6.Familiar
Passive skills:
1.Blur
2.Quickening
3.Expert Defense

And even this one build will not be the same for 2 different people because runes can be applied to any of the active skills and completely change the effect of the skill.

Maniclings

Jan 14, 2010
I really don't understand what all the hate for diablo 3 is about.
Why does everyone have such a problem with the auction house????
People already sell items for diablo 2 on ebay, what are you really so mad blizzard is gonna take the profit from items from their games away from ebay?!?!?
You don't have to buy anything from there, it doesn't make the game more playable if you use it, it doesn't give you any crazy advantages if you buy items, and it's not even the only way to get them.
There are alot of people who will use it and like it, the only effect it will have is people will no longer buy items from 3rd party sources, but through the game.
I don't care about it having only online play, sure this will effect people with no internet connection and that is sad for them, but is blizzard really the only company that only lets you play online??? I mean come one this is not a new feature and blizzard didn't start it. At least you can actually get into their online service without alot of muching around unlike other shitty online only games that make you go through games for windows live, and on the topic of games for windows live I have to say I have never had worse customer service from a game ever.
When I bought dawn of war I was living in uni accomodation so I didnt have alot of control over what ports are open and all of that stuff, I could not use games for windows live. When I contacted THQ they said well we can't do anything its games for windows live, when i contacted games for windows live they literally said "well I have a phd and i can connect from home with no problems so you are just stupid".
If I have a problem getting a patch from blizzard or logging in they have excellent customer service and trouble shooting and actually help me out. And I can get into their online service no problems, EVEN if i am at uni.

I also don't understand all this "OMG BLIZZARD JUST WANT TO MAKE MONEYSSS!!!!!, WAAAA I CANT BELIEVE IT" what the hell, they are a company they make games, not just to make fun games but also to turn a profit, god forbid a buisness wants to make a profit far out call the police they are making money making things for our entertainment. Are they releasing unfinished badly made games and charging full price for them like bioware did? cause I think that is much worse than only allowing online play.. like much much worse.
There are a HUGE amount of costs that go into running a company that you probably don't even think about, and yes piracy does hurt the industry, and I personally think its ok for them to do things to counter it, why should they spend years and millions of dollars making a game so some wanker can download it and play it without giving anything back.

busters

Aug 5, 2011
Easy answer; both. Both series are pretty good, and the sequels are turning out to be good games as well. Why pick one over the other? Sure they're similar games, but that doesn't mean you can only play one of them. Play both of them, and have fun with both of them. There's no need to be stubborn fanboys.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I don't think I like the aesthetics of either game to be honest. Diablo 3 looks darker, which is closer to what I think Diablo should be, but they both end up looking cartoony like D2, which I definitely do not like.

D3 also has that online only thhing.

So in the end probably neither.

Coldie

Oct 13, 2009
Xzi said:
Yes, Blizzard is in fact the only company doing non-MMO online-online games right now. Ubisoft was the first to introduce that DRM, but the feedback was so bad that after releasing it along with just ONE of their games, they have never used it since. They already did the work of making that stupid mistake and having to retract it for Blizzard, so Blizzard should know better.

I have nothing against developers wanting to make money as long as it doesn't interfere with releasing the best, most diversely accommodating product possible. Blizzard used to do that. Now they're making design choices which limit your play style, and even limit some peoples' ability to play at all. Because of greed. That's when it becomes a negative. Especially given the obvious fact that the mad cash they already have flowing through to them due to WoW is not shared among the people that actually MAKE the games. It all goes straight to the top. To the heads and CEOs of Activision, mostly, and that means Kotick.

FYI, the game is going to get pirated anyway. Assassin's Creed 2, which was the first game to use online-only DRM, was one of the most pirated games ever released, because nobody wanted to support that type of bullshit business practice. And now Diablo 3 will probably overtake it as the most pirated game ever, as even people who buy it legitimately will want some way to play it offline.
1. Diablo 3 does not have online-only DRM, it's an actual online-only game, like any MMO. UbiSoft released many games with the always online DRM (AC2, some submarine game, SCConviction, Settlers, etc), although it was patched out of one of them (AC2). They also are using it in some upcoming games, as well (the new Driver, at least).

2. Activision is not at the top of Blizzard, they are off to the side. Blizzard has their own heads and CEOs, the companies just share a common parent company. Couldn't find a single mention of Activision on any recent Blizzard game box or in-game when I tried.

3. You can't pirate the game, the client is worthless without an account. You can't find some way to play it offline, as something like half the game (monster randomization, dungeon randomization, item drops, the outcomes of combat, among others) exists only on the Blizzard servers. Even if you cobble together a server emulator (quite a feat to begin with), you'd still not be able to play the real game, only a limited recreation at best.

And if you would settle for a limited recreation of a Diablo game, might as well go and buy the re-re-remake of Fate, Torchlight 2. The first four games were charming, but simplistic and fairly monotonous. Maybe the fifth time's the charm?