Poll: Torchlight 2, everything Diablo 3 should have?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
With the recent news of Diablo 3, I decided to check out Torchlight 2's site.

This is what I have found:

[HEADING=3]Multiplayer:[/HEADING]

Play with your friends over the internet for free. No subscriptions, no item sales. And, our new matchmaking peer-to-peer service lets you find friends, start and join games for exciting co-op play. Of course, you can play single-player offline as well.

(I also heard myself it has LAN, which I believe Diablo 3 doesn't have)

[HEADING=3]Moddability[/HEADING]

Torchlight II will release with an all new version of TorchEd, the Torchlight editor. Players will have the option to create their own mods, adding even more content to the world. Have your friends download the same mod and play together.

http://www.torchlight2game.com/about

Torchlight 2 considering 1's price point, will also be cheap compared to Diablo 3.

So what do you guys think?

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Going with Diablo 3 all the way!

Mainly because the production values of Blizz are out of this world; even if they are being greedy MOFOS in their implementation nowdays.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Is Diablo 3 coming out on other platforms or is it PC only?

I've never played a Diablo, but I played the trial of Torchlight on the Xbox and it was pretty good, but needed multiplayer, so if a few of my friends get Torhclight 2 then I'd probably get it as well.

Hisshiss

Aug 10, 2010
What I'm gonna do is buy whichever comes out first, and then like, buy the other one too whenever it comes out. And I'm going to do that because I don't feel like forcing two different games to duke it out for my appreciation, especially considering torchlight 2 will be cheap enough that not buying it for any particular reason would just be stupid if you have demonstrated a taste for diablo RPG's.

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
Xzi said:
Tanakh said:

Mainly because the production values of Blizz are out of this world; even if they are being greedy MOFOS in their implementation nowdays.
FYI, Runic Games, the people developing Torchlight 2, is made up of a lot of ex-Blizzard North employees. Essentially, more of the staff that worked on Diablo 1 and 2 is working on Torchlight 2 than Diablo 3. So there's your production value.

Whatever Diablo 3 ends up being, it won't have the same feel that made the first two games so great. Torchlight 2 will have that.
Despite ironically having more of the original Diablo staff, it is near impossible for a smaller company like Runic to match the production values of a gaming monolith like Blizzard. Blizzard is known for insane amounts of polish on their games, and they certainly have the money to do it to a degree that'd be impossible for Runic.

Now as for which one will actually be a true (aesthetic and gameplay) successor to Diablo 1 and 2... well, that depends mostly on how well both teams can capture the feeling of the older games. If Runic has more of the original staff, then they have the advantage, probably, but Blizzard is pretty synonymous with high quality games, so... who knows.

Lucyfer86

Jun 30, 2011
Diablo 3.

I don't care about no offline mode, why would i need that.
Also i don't care about mods, and art style on Diablo seems way better than Torchlight.
Based on TL1, itemization and classes were also way more bland than in Diablo, so same thing might happen again.

I'm not saying Torchlight is a bad game, but for me it's always gonna be "one Diablo clone more".

P.S Why everyone keeps whining about the AH on D3, it's not like you HAVE to pay anything, there's seperate ingame gold AH and RL money AH, also you get few free item posts on RL money AH every week. Should not be a big deal, jeez.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
nukethetuna said:
Xzi said:
Tanakh said:

FYI, Runic Games, the people developing Torchlight 2, is made up of a lot of ex-Blizzard North employees. Essentially, more of the staff that worked on Diablo 1 and 2 is working on Torchlight 2 than Diablo 3. So there's your production value.

Whatever Diablo 3 ends up being, it won't have the same feel that made the first two games so great. Torchlight 2 will have that.
Despite ironically having more of the original Diablo staff, it is near impossible for a smaller company like Runic to match the production values of a gaming monolith like Blizzard. Blizzard is known for insane amounts of polish on their games, and they certainly have the money to do it to a degree that'd be impossible for Runic.
This, if we learn something with Hellgate is that curiously enough the corporate culture and production values doesn't seem to inherit to ex-employees.

And i am not talking about the "feeling", eff the feeling, i played Diablo II recently and couldn't bring myself to like it again because it felt flat, annoying and slow compared to more recent Diablo clones. I was talking about the polish as Nuke noted.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
People are blowing this whole online-only thing for Diablo 3 way out of proportion. It doesn't affect 98% of the people that will play the game. The only legitimate concern is that it affects people who live in the middle of nowhere who can't get Wi-Fi for their laptops on a consistent basis. That's basically it. The concerns over losing your saves because of a dropped connection are largely unfounded, since I'm sure Blizzard will have a decent auto-save system built into the network.

I will be getting both probably. I'm more interested in Torchlight 2 because of the mods I think, but Diablo 3 will undoubtedly be the deeper, more interesting game. Mods would have been nice, but I can live without as long as the game is fun without them. Torchlight without mods was rather boring, so mods are a must for TL2.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Alas i'll have no time for either with all the games coming out that i've been waiting for.

Even so I didn't really like the Diablo games but Torchlight was tolerable.

syltman

Feb 12, 2009
Diablo 3 will most likely blow torchlight away in terms of gameplay. You can clearly notice amazing amount of thoughts that have gone into the gameplay itself and how the well designed the art itself is in diablo 3, it's on a whole other level then torchlight 1-2. However I will agree somewhat about the auction house being a bit of a let down but I will just not use it.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
I am planning on gettning d3, but torchlight 2 sounds really attractive and I wouldn't mind playing that if I decide to get it as well.

syltman

Feb 12, 2009
Xzi said:
syltman said:
Diablo 3 will most likely blow torchlight away in terms of gameplay. You can clearly notice amazing amount of thoughts that have gone into the gameplay itself and how the well designed the art itself is in diablo 3, it's on a whole other level then torchlight 1-2. However I will agree somewhat about the auction house being a bit of a let down but I will just not use it.
I don't think you got the memo. Gameplay in both games consists left and right-clicking, the effects of which change and scale in power as you level up. The difference being that Torchlight 2 has more variation in those effects and the power of them thanks to far more character customization depth.
More variation in those effects and the power? You haven't played either game and you're saying that. But I guess it could be so yes. But in Diablo 3 you can use the environment as a weapon and there will be a lot of ways to enhance the weapons and skills. Also the quest will also be more fun and the environment is going to be a helluva lot more lively.

However this all just judging from what I've seen obviously.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Davey Woo said:
Is Diablo 3 coming out on other platforms or is it PC only?

I've never played a Diablo, but I played the trial of Torchlight on the Xbox and it was pretty good, but needed multiplayer, so if a few of my friends get Torhclight 2 then I'd probably get it as well.
D3's gonna be PC only.
OT: Torchlight is one of my favourite games I have on my Steam list, and I have no doubt that the second will be equally awesome, if not even better. I'm going for Torchlight.