Poll: Trolls: Lulz or FUUUU-

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
If I am team balanced in TF2 and it won't let me switch back, I place teleporters going backwards.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Kahunaburger said:
Twilight_guy said:
Trolling games is called griefing and no I don't. In fact, I avoid those who do. If you've abandoned the point of the game in order to instead try and ruin the fun of others then obviously you need a new hobby.
What if you're playing a game like MW2 where the point of the game is ruining the fun of others?
I thought the point of the game was to score more points and win against the other team. That's play within the structure of the game. Your goal is to win and you work towards that goal. When you start blowing up your own team in order to ruin their game and thus ruin their fun for your own pleasure entirely outside the game rules then you're griefing.

Look up the Escapist issue on greifing sometime, it has some interesting stories.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
Kahunaburger said:
Twilight_guy said:
Trolling games is called griefing and no I don't. In fact, I avoid those who do. If you've abandoned the point of the game in order to instead try and ruin the fun of others then obviously you need a new hobby.
What if you're playing a game like MW2 where the point of the game is ruining the fun of others?
I thought the point of the game was to score more points and win against the other team. That's play within the structure of the game. Your goal is to win and you work towards that goal. When you start blowing up your own team in order to ruin their game and thus ruin their fun for your own pleasure entirely outside the game rules then you're griefing.

Look up the Escapist issue on greifing sometime, it has some interesting stories.
Oh, yeah, I don't team kill or stuff like that. But really, if IW didn't want us messing with people on the other team, why include noobtubes, 1887s, claymores, g18s, and so on?

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
A funny thing to do is play as a female character on WoW. People will think you are a girl in real life and help you out and give you free stuff.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Is it trolling if a full group on RDR finds some poor innocent player and starts shooting him to pieces and hunting him down across the entire map until he quits? If so then yes a few times.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Most I do to piss people in TF2 off is a NSFW spray. "Why don't you like a sexy naked foxgirls?"

Scalli

Jun 24, 2011
I had written up quite a lengthy rant about trolls in WoW and Rift, but it was very wall-of-texty and barely coherent. So I'll try and sum it up.

I don't really like trolling, but if you're gonna be an obnoxious AW with no regard for anyone else, please try and be funny. Otherwise it just comes off as sad and desperate.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Back in the day, I used to hate FPSes (now I just don't really play them), but they were the only multiplayer games my friends had. So whenever I was playing, I'd always pick the rocket launcher/equivalent, and instead of tactics, rush the hell out of wherever they were, blasting away randomly until I had no ammo left as they shot at me desperately, but for some reason never hit me. Then, when I was out of ammo, if the game auto switched to another weapon I'd have a shotgun and spam that, if not I'd just run to the closest guy and melee him to death. If I was killed at this stage, I'd wait to the last second and drop a grenade as I died, which they wouldn't notice. Seeing no hurry, they'd either not move or teabag me, only to get their nuts blown off by my final trolling efforts.

My team always won.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
That's not actualy 'trolling', that's 'griefing' and it's hilarious.

My mates and I did it in Black Ops, my friend was playing 'sticks and stones' and another player was smack talking before the match about how we were all doomed and how good he was with the tomahawk. He was from somewhere in the southern US.

My friend made it his mission to kill him exclusively all through the match, every tomahawk was thrown at this guy, every bolt fired at him and every ballistic knife discharged in his direction and every time he died we'd all yell:

My housemates and I said:
TAH-MAH-HAAAAAAAAAAAK!!!!!!!!!!
He quit after one match, every time he tried to talk smack he'd sprout an axe handle and have to respawn amid the noise of 5 jeering drunken students screaming 'tomahawk'. He sent us a rude PM after the match deriding our skills...we sent him one back.

Guess what our one said?
That is BRILLIANT. I hate it when people take things too seriously, and that's why I love trolls and trolling. It's no fun when everyone's all hardcore and forgetting that in the end, it actually is just a game.