Poll: Twilight, Harry Potter, or other?

milomalo

Mar 29, 2008
Artemis fowl... its the best better than harry potter and the other Emo vampire thing...

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Kukakkau said:
neither the only time i remotely enoyed harry potter was when i was 8
and i constantly argue with all the girls in my school year about twilight is a load of crap and that the guy in it is not a vampire but instead a gay fairy
Agreed.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
I never read any of those books. Batman has too big of a back catalog for me to waste any time. But I saw a couple of the Harry Potter movies, and Twilight. The first Harry Potter was whimsical and fun, but then the series immediately got too serious and long-winded to keep me interested. I don't see how children could sit through that crap.

I wanted Twilight to be as terrible as everyone says it is, but I was disappointed to discover that it was not. Believe me: as a vampire fan, the premise is laughably stupid and the characters are wholly unlikable. But the producers seemed to know both of these things and really worked to pull out of it what they could. Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson are cute as hell and competent actors, and the screenplay minimizes as much of the really stupid (sparkle, sparkle) as it can. If you think of it as a really good update on the 1950s monster drive-in, made for the emo-babies of today, you may see past the goofy and realize that it is pretty entertaining.

So I guess what I'm saying is, as far as I care, Batman rules.

:B

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Michael_McCloud said:
Seriously, no one here's an HDM fan? It's still one of the best YA fiction trilogies in the history of ever.
I enjoyed it. I still have to go with ItNotW, though. Because similar to what Erana said:
Erana said:
For once, the kid actually had to use [his] brain, and [he] was treated [horribly and constantly abused] by the [everyone] in the story.
Best paraphrase ever.
Erm... I'm not quite sure that was what I said...

Duskwaith

Sep 20, 2008
Kukakkau said:
and that the guy in it is not a vampire but instead a gay fairy
Gay fairy lol dude thank you for that argument!!

Harry potter okay hes a pain in the arse at times but Stephen fry and Emma watson win it..

Jamanticus

Sep 7, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
Both suck. However the Harry Potter audio books are narrated by Steven Fry. Therefore Harry Potter is superior.
Argh- you are so incredibly lucky.....People in the US are stuck with Jim Dale narrating those audiobooks- not that he's bad, it's just that he's not Stephen Fry.....

Anyway, Harry Potter is my preferred book series. I like the symbolism and such, plus the books are lightning-fast reads (big surprise there), so it's hard to get bored of them.

EDIT: I mean, despite being a children's series and full of Deus Ex Machina at every turn, Harry Potter's got merit to it, you know?

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
I've read some bad books in my time and Twilight was one of the worst. The closest it came to being interesting was when they mentioned Werewolves, and then it went straight back to Mary Sue's school life. Harry Potter is good, I don't care what anyone says. It was entertaining and comparing it to Twilight has made me appreciate it even more.

Bunyip Andler

Nov 15, 2008
I'm getting pretty tired of Twilight hate.

It is what it is. It's a book that teenage girls love because of all the drama and whatnot going on. Not to mention that Edward Cullen is pretty much the perfect male, when it comes to fantasies. No one is saying that it's a literary classic or that it's even well written. If anyone says that, give them an earful. Otherwise lay off it.

Harry Potter is similar. It has lots of drama, rivalries, crushes and secrets. Not to mention danger. It's designed for young adults and has lots of elements that cater to girls.

Think of it as the feminine form of 300. 300 was grossly inaccurate, logistically impossible and the dialogue is hardly anything more than one-liners. But it's badass! And that's why so many guys like it.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
It is what it is. It's a book that teenage girls love because of all the drama and whatnot going on. Not to mention that Edward Cullen is pretty much the perfect male, when it comes to fantasies
Edward Cullen is an abusive dick. Also, a series that is popular because teenage girls like drama deserves to be hated.
. However, when he is constantly portrayed as, as you said, "the perfect boyfriend," that's where I draw a line.
he/she said perfect male. But you're right, that's why edward cullen being abusive is bad for the book and the movie. He's bad and portrayed as good.

Spektre41

Jun 26, 2008
The near-total lack of Artemis Fowl in this topic depresses me.

Also, Great Tree of Avalon is awesome, horrifically rushed conclusion, but awesome.

Bunyip Andler

Nov 15, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Bunyip Andler said:
I'm getting pretty tired of Twilight hate.

It is what it is. It's a book that teenage girls love because of all the drama and whatnot going on. Not to mention that Edward Cullen is pretty much the perfect male, when it comes to fantasies. No one is saying that it's a literary classic or that it's even well written. If anyone says that, give them an earful. Otherwise lay off it.
Edward is controlling, and while exercising a little bit of control isn't bad as long as both parties share in it, when only one party exercises their control all of the time the relationship is unbalanced.
He's also a stalker. He's also emotionally abusive.
None of these things make the books horrible. However, when he is constantly portrayed as, as you said, "the perfect boyfriend," that's where I draw a line.
And light it on fire. And since the books would sooner ascend to godhood than portray anything he does as wrong...
He's pretty much the perfect male when it comes to fantasies. The last part is very important. Now, it's obvious women don't want to be raped, but a very large amount of them fantasize about it. It's not real, so they're safe. That way they can get rid of all their sexual inhibitions.

And exhibiting control is something virtually all females find attractive. The stalking shows that Edward is emotionally interested in Bella, something a lot of girls worry about. The emotional abuse provides drama, which is another thing many females are attracted to.

Bunyip Andler

Nov 15, 2008
mike1921 said:
Also, a series that is popular because teenage girls like drama deserves to be hated.
Why? It's shallow, but it's appealing. If other people enjoy it, why does it deserve hate?

Look at Gears of War. Its main selling points are its brutal masculinity and over-the-top violence. It's a shallow game, but it's damn fun to play. Should someone who doesn't like games like that hate it?

Edit: Oh noes I double posted. ;_;