Poll: UESP vs Elder Scrolls Wiki

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
http://uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_Wiki

I like the elder scrolls wiki slightly better because I prefer the layout and overall design more and has articles on more specific topics.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Being the massive Elder Scrolls fan that I am, I can safely say that The Elder Scrolls Wiki is, and possibly always will be... GARBAGE.

The Elder Scrolls Wiki is so full of fanon it's simply mind boggling, everyone on every major Elder Scrolls fan site will tell you to stay away from The Elder Scrolls Wiki becuase of the sheer amount of made up content on that site.

TESW has no moderation, no content checks, no standards of quality.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
TESW looks all right, but I find it a little bland. I also wouldn't call TESW garbage, but UESP gives me more usable gameplay and quest tips, so I tend to prefer it.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
USEP > Stuff > Gamefaqs > Other stuff > Wikia

USEP is helpful and intuitive, whereas Wikia is just shit.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Seeing as I only use the Wiki for quest walkthroughs when I'm really stuck, I pick the first Wiki that comes up on Google search.

I don't care about the Lore since it's so dense and uninviting I find its just better to fuck around with the game the way I see fit.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I've never used Elder Scrolls Wiki, but based on my experience with other wikia sites, I probably wouldn't like it very much. My experience with other wikia sites has been an inconstant standard of quality, pages that don't have enough stuff in them to be useful, and way too many damn adds. I'll use wikia if there isn't a viable alternative, but that usually isn't the case.

UESP, on the other hand, has been consistently great. UESP has all of the information relating to quests, NPCs, factions, leveling, and more, that I could ever need. The only thing I've seen lacking in it is information on mods, but UESP never claims to be a mod resource, so I'll let it slide.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
While neither site will be 100% correct 100% of the time, UESP leans heavily towards the factual side of the subject matter, while the Elder Scrolls Wiki is more about opinion.

I get the impression that UESP contributors test aspects of, rather than play the game, with a pen, notepad and calculator by their side in order to record their findings, whereas the Wiki contributors just play the game for fun, then log onto their computers sometime after their gaming session and put their recollections straight onto the Wiki.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
UESP is easy to navigate, and actually has helpful information for understanding the game's properties. Plus, it's low on fanon.

Aug 1, 2010
I may be in the extreme minority here, but I despise UESP.

None of what it says makes any sense to me, I can never navigate it for shit and the whole design of the site just gives me a headache.

On the other hand, I don't visit either site with any regularity so this alleged "fanon" may be a bigger problem than I know.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Been going to UESP for years, hard to change a habit like that.

Besides, it works much better on my phone.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
I happen to use UESP a bit more... as in, I never use the Wiki and always use UESP. The color-theme isn't as harsh, and I like how UESP has a lot more game-mechanics information. I especially like how they handle the categories. They treat links and categories like outline points, which is easier for me to enjoy than the wikia-ess of the actual wiki.

Ahem, I actually checked out the Wiki site in research for this post, and I gotta say, I was blown away. I always thought that UESP was better because it was around first, but now I'm completely on the side of...

...bwahaha, no, the Wiki is shit. Here's an example... I went to the Morrowind portal and selected "attributes"... from the Morrowind portal. Here's what I got:

Disambiguation Page
1. Attributes (Arena)
2. Attributes (Daggerfall) (page does not exist)
3. Attributes (Morrowind) (page does not exist)
4. Attributes (Oblivion)

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
This might be the nerdiest thread ever. Congratulations.

UESP for life!!

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
For random 10 second searches for things like "Where in hell is this npc supposed to be" the wikia one works just fine for me. Those fucking WoW ads absolutely destroyed the steam browser though.

Reginald

May 9, 2012
UESP is way more helpful than TESW. The information on things like stats and mechanics is a hell of a lot more useful and accurate, and I find the layout is much more efficient. Plus, UESP just feels really quaint, which is nice.

HippySteve

Oct 4, 2012
I almost always use UESP. I've spent hours on that site, just reading through the lore, it's really very well put together. Back when TES:V first came out, though, TESW had more info on it than UESP. Granted, a fair amount of their info was conjecture, but still, it led to me using it more for the first few months. Final conclusion, UESP is a better put together information database, and I wholeheartedly recommend it over TESW.