Poll: UK Citizenship Quiz

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
9 out of 24, fail. I think those questions were wrong they should be things Do you like tea or can you make tea, If you live in Yorkshire who is your mural enemy, and maybe another for Glasgow. What is the correct thing to have in a pasties, How do you spell Colour and so on.

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
4/24. I'm an American and that test is not easy. Lots of arbitrary questions about how long the census is kept secret. What does that matter? I was hoping I would be able to pass with my knowledge of British History and a basic understanding of how the government works. Boy was I wrong...

Hucket

Apr 29, 2010
8/24...I'm Canadian, so I guess that's like failing a test on your parents' personal history and trival past.

Why would I have to know how many young people are in the UK? or when women got the right to divorce? Would not knowing that make me any less of a citizen? I don't even know those stats about my home country :S

NinjaCatStudios

Mar 30, 2011
The questions are rubbish trivia, I got 9/24 and I am scottish.
They should be more about soceity and the culture here.

Has someone made the questions deliberately rubbish to lower the amount of immigration?

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
OmniscientOstrich said:
I'm a UK citizen and I failed, though these questions seem largely arbitrary, I feel sorry for anyone having to wade through this bullshit to get citizenship.
I have to agree. Now, some political things I don't have an excuse for I suppose beyond not caring about politics, but why should I care when the first census was taken, or why a recruitment center was set up somewhere? Or anyone, for that matter?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I got 10 out of 24, which was much better than I thought I would have done. Some of the questions I remember learning there answers in AP World History.

OutsiderEX

Jul 18, 2011
This is a ridiculous test; there are some elements there that are necessary; knowledge about hospitals and schools, for example, but some of the questions are just ridiculous. I failed and I'm fairly knowledgeable about politics in this country (got an high A in A-level politics) and a history student; it's the random questions that tripped me up.

Playing Devil's Advocate here, the test is probably designed to be artificially difficult due to the trend of discouraging immigration and is probably run under the assumption that if one really wants to become a citizen, the least they could do is work on memorising this sort of information, even if it is useless as it shows they are willing to put the effort in. That seems to be the sort of mindset that afflicts the last few Ministries for Education, etc.

Pity the poor sod who has to take this and someone slap the idiots who thought up some of these questions if they really believed it's a test of Citizenship.

The Cap

Aug 14, 2011
bugger i failed.

at least this means a lot of immigrants that dont really want to come here (ie study and revise and put the effort in like a biacth) wont get in

our country is overpopulated enough as it is

especially now withhalf on europe going down the toilet, although they wont have to take this test id imagine

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Failed 13/24. From the UK here. I fail to see how an immigrant knowing what quango is going help them live in the uk. Hell I didn't what they where until two years ago. I though the citizen test here was some basic history and culture questions, my GCSE English Lit exam was easier than this :D

DaWrecka

Jan 2, 2008
I got 10 answers out of 24. Apparently, I "have insufficient knowledge of the English language or of life in the UK to remain." Considering I've been living here my whole bloody life, that's pretty sad... or it would be sad were this test not full of bullshit and fail.

"Why were recruitment centres set up in the West Indies in the 1950s?" Who the fuck cares, and what possible relevance does it have to the present day? "In which year did married women get the right to divorce their husband?" I don't know this one either, but it was at minimum two bloody centuries ago. Again, what the fuck does it have to do with the present day?

I could go on, but I can feel a rage-headache coming on already, so I'm gonna stop.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
OmniscientOstrich said:
I'm a UK citizen and I failed, though these questions seem largely arbitrary, I feel sorry for anyone having to wade through this bullshit to get citizenship.
Did you consider that might be the point of the bullshit questions?

OT: I got 8/24. I like how you guys' censuses are completely useless to basically everyone for 100 years. Something should probably be done about that.

SilentSh0tz

Feb 11, 2010
You have failed the practice citizenship test.

Questions answered correctly: 8 out of 24 (33%)

Time taken: 05 minutes 44 seconds

Not even mad

Sylvine

Jun 7, 2011
OutsiderEX said:
This is a ridiculous test; there are some elements there that are necessary; knowledge about hospitals and schools, for example, but some of the questions are just ridiculous.
Are they, really? Hell, I have no idea how many schooldays we have over here, and I'm barely out of school. To be frank, I don't even know when the courses at my university start. Next week, I think, but I'm not sure on the details.

Seriously, though, I do believe the answer to every one of these questions should be:
"Locate source of internet -> Google it". THAT is going with the times =P

I feel reminded of a test I took at my university (I study translation sciences). We had to translate a text full of geographic names, and of course You are not allowed to bring any electronic devices to help, so if one happens to be, well, not exactly the wealthiest student around - like me - and can't afford a 100 Euro dictionary, since it's roughly what I spend on food for 2 months... sooo out of luck. Yeah, points knocked off for not knowing how to spell Azerbaijan. Fuck me, I don't even know how to spell it in my native language, and it's not like I can't find out within 20 seconds, tops, if they just let me use anything with a connection to the 'net, like, dunno, a PC or a laptop, which I am most likely to do my work at in the future anyways! [/rage]

Ahem. Relevance? Quite likely, with those tests, the actual content is not important. It's just sieving. Separating the people who understand both the necessity to learn for the test as well as the questions and materials themselves, and those who are willing to put the effort in, from those who won't, or can't. It's not fair, it's not humane, but that's how it appears to be. We have a pretty similar procedure in Germany, by the way - one of the reasons I still haven't applied for citizenship, despite having lived here for more than 14 years. I've got neither time nor energy to learn crap like that.

~Sylv

Dec 16, 2009
the test is only one aspect of what is need to Naturalise.
I realise most people, even British citizens would have to revise, but there is revison literature available.
Citizenship can't just be handed out with 10 vouchers from cornflakes, and what ever method is used, it'd be impossible to please everyone.
Gaining citizenship is easier than some countries where birth n marrage are the only ways, and at least those gaining Brit Cit would be able to retain their original Citizenship too.

Nothings perfect, and the British Nationality act does get revised, it just takes a long time for the process to work its way through Parliment

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
10/24, and I'm from the UK. Guess they really don't teach you much political bullcrap in schools. Good luck to anyone trying to gain citizenship. Pretty sure there's a handbook out there with all the answers in, though.