Poll: Victoria police given permission to fine swearing

InfiniteSingularity

Apr 9, 2010
New laws are giving Victorian police in Australia to give people $240 on the spot for swearing. What do you think of this?

Personally I think it's a violation of free speech - we should be allowed to say what we want to say. There are laws prohibiting offensive language, but I don't think swearing is offensive. It's not directed at a particular ethnic or religious or any division of humanity, it is only universally offensive. I personally think that if people find something offensive, like swearing, it's their own business, and the law shouldn't intervene.

"Swearing is bad" is an opinion. And I know this is true because I disagree with it; hence, it is an opinion and not fact. You cannot make and enforce a law which is based on an OPINION - that is bias. That is unbalanced, and that is unjust.

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
InfiniteSingularity said:
New laws are giving Victorian police in Australia to give people $240 on the spot for swearing. What do you think of this?

Personally I think it's a violation of free speech - we should be allowed to say what we want to say. There are laws prohibiting offensive language, but I don't think swearing is offensive. It's not directed at a particular ethnic or religious or any division of humanity, it is only universally offensive. I personally think that if people find something offensive, like swearing, it's their own business, and the law shouldn't intervene.

"Swearing is bad" is an opinion. And I know this is true because I disagree with it; hence, it is an opinion and not fact. You cannot make and enforce a law which is based on an OPINION - that is bias. That is unbalanced, and that is unjust.
You can make a law based on opinion, but not on taste or bias. An opinion should change with new information, or else it is not an opinion, but a bias.

"Swearing is bad" is a taste.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Wait what? What good will come of this?

Personally I feel it's bullshit, especially since people usually swear when getting arrested.

The_Yeti

Jan 17, 2011
InfiniteSingularity said:
-but I don't think swearing is offensive. It's not directed at a particular ethnic or religious or any division of humanity-
Maybe you've forgotten the literal meaning of most of the curse-words, which are in fact intended primarily to offend a person of specific intellect, personality, race, and even the stately word atheist, which is in itself a religious slander to brand the non-believers.

The_Yeti

Jan 17, 2011
DoctorPhil said:
America. Land of the free. And land of taking your freedom away.
You do realize he's speaking of Australia eh? lets face it, if that happened in America 99% of politicians and rappers would go bankrupt in 0.5 seconds.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
DoctorPhil said:
America. Land of the free. And land of taking your freedom away.
And Australia used to be one of the nicest parts of America too...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
The_Yeti said:
Last time I checked, those three curse words are the most-used. Of course variants like '************' and 'bullshit' pop up.

The_Yeti

Jan 17, 2011
Nouw said:
The_Yeti said:
Last time I checked, those three curse words are the most-used. Of course variants like '************' and 'bullshit' pop up.
Most used indeed, but still only used when intended to offend, unless someone was raised in a home that was soap-bar-less~

Maetrix

Amiable Curmudgen
Nov 12, 2010
Personally, I have no problem with this law. It's worked in Whistler, BC and is designed mainly for those too obtuse to develop any social skills. It helps the police cut down on belligerent attitudes and like most fines of these sorts, you usually need to go beyond the call of decency to incur a fine.

Part of living in a society is sharing a common level of decency and I for one don't like, nor appreciate, the downward slide that society has taken over the past few years.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
it is offencive but it is part of freedom of speech to express ones opinion even if it is an offence to some

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
I posted a thread about this yesterday, but everyone ignored me. :(

This act gives police powers to combat anti-social behaviour, such as abusive swearing, pissing in public, and doing a whole bunch of anti-social shit. They're not going to reel you in for a couple of swear words under your breathe, although it's left (intentionally) vague as to whether or not this law would apply to casually swearing in public.

Personally, I feel that the government is far overstepping its rights here, and that our premier is trying to turn us into a fucking nanny state. :p It's not just me who thinks that, either.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
This is a great idea, as long as it's for actually swearing and not just saying a bad word. There's a huge difference between someone who's vocabulary consists of a lot of negative words than someone who curses due to an incident of excitement (or pain.) Voted both/neither.

Kevonovitch

Apr 15, 2009
when i first saw victoria i was like "uh...what's goin on?" XD (victoria BC, Canada, is like a 3h trip from where i am :p) but yeah, thats a really dumb idea :|

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
The fine is a bit excessive. I would need to see the specific details about what constitutes a "swear" and other parts of the law before deciding.