Poll: was israel right for Attacking Gaza

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
dnaloiram said:
Rolling Thunder said:
Duck and Cover, Duck and fucking Cover!

*Dives into a foxhole*
This is a serious thread, and I resent you dumbing it down.

No, it's not, it's a flamewar waiting to happen. We've already established that both sides are in the wrong, and that the true suffering is being born by the innocents of both Israel and Palestine. The only room for debate is who is more in the wrong here, the IDF or HAMAS, and that's a matter of semantics unworthy of consideration. In short, it's an invitation for people to flame and pissing on one another.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Rolling Thunder said:
dnaloiram said:
Rolling Thunder said:

*Dives into a foxhole*

No, it's not, it's a flamewar waiting to happen. We've already established that both sides are in the wrong, and that the true suffering is being born by the innocents of both Israel and Palestine. The only room for debate is who is more in the wrong here, the IDF or HAMAS, and that's a matter of semantics unworthy of consideration. In short, it's an invitation for people to flame and pissing on one another.
You're not helping you know. If people manage to keep this discussion civil we'll leave it up. That isn't for you to decide or 'call' ahead of time. If you think people are flaming hit that lovely red report button. Otherwise, add something to the discussion, or don't post at all.

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
Borrowed Time said:
Reading and research is good!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_land_purchase_in_Palestine

$1100 per acre compared to $110 per acre in Iowa. Hrm. Yeah, they didn't pay for anything. Look at the percentages.

52.6% from non-Palestinian landowners
24.6% from Palestinian-Arab landowners
9.4% from Fellahin
[sub]Y. Porath. The Palestinian Arab Movement: From Riots to Rebellion. 1977. p.84[/sub]
The majority of the land pf Israel was taken during the war of independence, the UN plan only gave them half they took it all. Afterwards they passed a law against Palestinians returning. If compensation was offered, how were they going to collect it? Israel had long refused to listen to the UN resolutions saying to let them return. Quoting wiki:
'They wanted to return to what were their homes prior to the Arab-Israeli War, looking for their lost loved ones, harvesting crops from fields that were confiscated'
Granted, most settlements before the war were legitimate, but most of the land of Israel is the spoils of war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevention_of_Infiltration_law

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
lostclause said:
nyaman said:
Okay, I am going to ignore arguing whether it was right or wrong, because changing people's mind on the internet, especially when it concerns Jewish people, is essentially useless. However, people need to stop claiming that the land is still the Palestinian's. If you buy a house, then 60 years later the family come back and ask for the house back you don't let them. If they have lived there for 2000 years, it is still now your house. Yes they did historically own it, but that doesn't make it theirs now. Israel was purchased, and is now the home for many people. The people wanting "their" land back have never lived in it, and are simply trying to get something that doesn't belong to them. Please stop.
But the Israel claim is that it was their land before the Palestinians. By your logic it should still be the Palestinians. They didn't pay for the land either (illegal settlements continue to this day, illegal by both Israeli and international law).
Israel was never meant to be this big. Yes, some of Palestine was sold. The Israelis then proceeded to land-grab as much as they could, citing various reasons from religion to defence. They've slowed down now, and built a big fricken wall around the Palestinians. What are they meant to do? Let them take it?

You own a field. You sell a corner to some campers. The campers invite their friends until eventually they occupy the entire field and build a barbed wire fence around your now measly scap of worthless dirt. You've got a sea to your back, and armed guards to your front. on your land. What do you do?

This does not come down to anti-Semitism. It comes down to a load of people taking more than their agreed share. They could be Christians or atheists for all I care.

There is no point arguing over the acts of war, as these things always occur and get worse and worse and worse. When it comes down to it, and you remove the conflict from the equation, Israel is in the wrong. The only defence they seem to be able to cite is that they're somehow 'entitled' to it, and the Palestinians fired first. Well fuck me, do you blame them?

Typhusoid

Nov 20, 2008
I absolutely do not beleive it was justified. Israel responded to attacks from a TERRORIST ENTITY by butchering innocents.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Fulax said:
Israel are occupying the Palestinian's land. Any military action they take is not, as they claim, self-defence, it is an act of oppression.

So no, it was certainly not justified.
I agree.
Independent observers has called it genocide.
It's disgusting, and of all people, the Jews should know better.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Personally I think that both governments are making arses of themselves, and civilians from both sides are getting caught in the crossfire.
Israel's wrong for trying to expand as much as it has done and for their blunt and brutal use of force. Palestine is wrong for not accepting that the nation of Israel actually exists.
If forced to choose a side, I would be with Palestine because a) more of their civilians have died than Israel's last time I checked (a bit ago, so may not still be acturate), so they seem a bit more like the victims, b) I feel that the Zionist belief of them being God's chosen people, and therefore having rights that others do not, is a bit too much like the Nazi idea of a "master race" to be acceptable, and c) I don't approve of many of the things the Isreali government did in its earlier years. As I said, that was only if I were forced to chose, I'd much rather some other nation just said words to the effect of "learn to share or we nuke both of you!".

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
Labyrinth said:
Rolling Thunder said:
dnaloiram said:
Rolling Thunder said:

*Dives into a foxhole*

You're not helping you know. If people manage to keep this discussion civil we'll leave it up. That isn't for you to decide or 'call' ahead of time. If you think people are flaming hit that lovely red report button. Otherwise, add something to the discussion, or don't post at all.

Point conceded, LaCoil.

yaik7a

Aug 9, 2009
All I can Say is that its irony sick twisted irony .

*cough* Warsaw ghetto *cough* also isreal did not exist and if the

jews never went threw genocide the west would have nevered gave a pity

party and create a illegal state. If some Middle east nations would band

together like Iran , Iraq , syria and others to work together (They Need that many

cause isreal may have nukes ) Or maybe Russia can just come in and wipe them off the

face of Terra (Im not a Nazi and im related to a Jews)

Rayath

Jul 23, 2008
Well, since I think that Israel doesn't even has the right to exist and the creation of Israel was one of the biggest mistakes in the recent history I must say no.

effilctar

Jul 24, 2009
Lior, this has gone way too far. stop it with the Israel posts and the trolling becuase no one really cares

Specter_

Dec 24, 2008
nekolux said:
And i agree with you, as i have said before, i do not believe the israelis to be in the right here. I am simply considering the israeli POV. I don't think going so far as to say the israeli government is fascist is fair though. Mistreatment of civilians, violation of human rights maybe. But fascism while containing some similar elements is quite a stretch away. They have, quite a free press and a good human development index.
One of my many problems with Israel is the definition of its government:
- It's democratic, since people can vote
- It's theocratic, since it defines itself as "jewish state"
- It's fascist, since they believe in the "superiority of the jewish people"
- It's a system of apartheid due to the segregation of jewish and non-jewish, especially arab, people

It's so much and yet it's very hard to put a finger on one specific aspect.

One sidenote on the "free press":
Norman Finkelstein [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Finkelstein#Denied_entry_to_Israel_in_2008]. An american author, descendant of european jews who survived the warsaw ghetto and Auschwitz/Majdanek (father/mother), was denied entry to Israel after he accused people like Eli Wiesel, Binjamin Wilkomirski and others of fraud and hypocrasy concerning holocaust-reparations.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Nope, Isreal shouldn't exist where it is, it should be located somehwere in east Germany around the Polish border.

As it is various politicians and religious leaders used the Nazis actions as an excuse to continue a centuries old religious conflict. Between violently turning on the UN soldiers there to protect them, bombing the living shit out of Lebanon and turning Palestine (the bits of it they didn't steal) into a massive ghetto whilst they slowly starve and kill it's population, they've managed to prove themselves as little better than the Nazis they were rescued from.
Which is quite an achievement if you think about it.

I have never understood the logic of condemning all of Palestine to a slow violent extinction because of the actions of Germans. No doubt it's an unpopular view but I think Isreal needs to be abandoned by America and promptly wiped off the map. They've spent they last 50 years diligently earning it.

Borrowed Time

Jun 29, 2009
lostclause said:
Borrowed Time said:
Reading and research is good!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_land_purchase_in_Palestine

$1100 per acre compared to $110 per acre in Iowa. Hrm. Yeah, they didn't pay for anything. Look at the percentages.

52.6% from non-Palestinian landowners
24.6% from Palestinian-Arab landowners
9.4% from Fellahin
[sub]Y. Porath. The Palestinian Arab Movement: From Riots to Rebellion. 1977. p.84[/sub]
The majority of the land pf Israel was taken during the war of independence, the UN plan only gave them half they took it all. Afterwards they passed a law against Palestinians returning. If compensation was offered, how were they going to collect it? Israel had long refused to listen to the UN resolutions saying to let them return. Quoting wiki:
'They wanted to return to what were their homes prior to the Arab-Israeli War, looking for their lost loved ones, harvesting crops from fields that were confiscated'
Granted, most settlements before the war were legitimate, but most of the land of Israel is the spoils of war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevention_of_Infiltration_law
Exactly, "most settlements before the war were legitimate", yet Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria attacked Israel. Granted, denying individuals the ability to go home after the war was wrong, they also feared retaliation from the arabs. They were attacked on almost all sides. >_< Yeah, I'd be grabbing land too honestly.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Specter_ said:
I want to make clear that I do not compare the Israeli politics with the holocaust, but I do compare the ghazan situation to the Warsaw ghetto uprising, since I believe that the current israeli government is of fascist nature.
"fascist" doesn't mean "oppressive". Fascism is a system of government which Israel clearly does not subscribe to.

nyaman said:
Okay, so I am not an expert and willing to admit this. If someone knows more I am glad to listen. I am under the impression that Israel was obtained by a mass land purchase afet World War II. Any corrections are welcomed. But working with this, if the same claim to land can be used by both parties, how about we give it to the people who have established their homes and families there, not some invading force?
Palestine became a British mandate after World War One. Before this time, there had been a significant minority Jewish population living there. Jewish immigration was already ballooning before the Holocaust, but that event gave Jewish immigration much more impetus. After World War Two, Britain could no longer maintain military forces in the region and decided to end the mandate. The U.N. came up with a two-state solution which was accepted by the Jews but rejected by Arab leaders. despite the lack of a clear transition plan, Britain left and Israel declared independence. The surrounding Arab nations invaded, and when the dust settled, Israel had established its pre-1967 borders.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
annoyinglizardvoice said:
b) I feel that the Zionist belief of them being God's chosen people, and therefore having rights that others do not, is a bit too much like the Nazi idea of a "master race" to be acceptable, and c) I don't approve of many of the things the Isreali government did in its earlier years. As I said, that was only if I were forced to chose, I'd much rather some other nation just said words to the effect of "learn to share or we nuke both of you!".
b) Racism of the highest degree

I agree with this guy, if neither side can be civilized (which they cant be) then the holy land should be nuked into an uninhabitable state for the next 1000 years