Poll: was israel right for Attacking Gaza

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
The entire reason for this never-ending conflict, is due to a single damnable place, Jerusalem, now as long as Jerusalem exists as part of any nation, there will be a conflict of interests over the place, and who should have it.

The only solution, is to make Jerusalem, like Vatican City, an independant city-state, with no particular religious or national bias. The leaders of the city-state could supervise pilgrims, trade, and crime that occurs within the state, so with that there would be no wars over the place anymore, because no-one owns the place, and the place could function entirely by itself, via charging all visitors for admission. The same could be done with both Mecca and Medina, instantly eradicating 75% of the conflicts in the middle east, so the term, 'Killing three birds with one stone' never seemed appropriate.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
The_Healer said:
oh so you think it was justified?
does the fact that you are from israel have anything to do with that?

Personally I think it is disgusting.
The things that israel is doing to the Palestinian people are inhumane. If I had my way, israel would be wiped clean off the surface of the earth.
that is stupid. I am in israel right now. Now imagine. Someone is hitting you, what do you do, there is no help, talking to the person won't work, you try hitting the person back and restraining you, but he getsd back up and keeps hitting you. He intends to hit you till you die, and will not heitate to use passers bys to block your blows. WHAT DO YOU DO?

Ushario

Mar 6, 2009
Fulax said:
Israel are occupying the Palestinian's land. Any military action they take is not, as they claim, self-defence, it is an act of oppression.

So no, it was certainly not justified.
This, there really isn't any more to the matter.

Israel as a nation is a hypocritical facist regime that is intent on wiping out everyone around them.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
yaik7a said:
if the

jews never went threw genocide the west would have nevered gave a pity

party and create a illegal state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balfour_declaration

yaik7a said:
If some Middle east nations would band

together like Iran , Iraq , syria and others to work together
well aside from Iran, this is pretty much exactly what happened in 1948 and again in 1967. didn't work either time.

yaik7a said:
Or maybe Russia can just come in and wipe them off the

face of Terra (Im not a Nazi and im related to a Jews)
honestly i have no idea why this would be in the Russian interest.

just wondering, have you told your jewish relatives what you think about israel?

annoyinglizardvoice said:
If forced to choose a side, I would be with Palestine because a) more of their civilians have died than Israel's last time I checked (a bit ago, so may not still be acturate), so they seem a bit more like the victims, b) I feel that the Zionist belief of them being God's chosen people, and therefore having rights that others do not, is a bit too much like the Nazi idea of a "master race" to be acceptable, and c) I don't approve of many of the things the Isreali government did in its earlier years. As I said, that was only if I were forced to chose, I'd much rather some other nation just said words to the effect of "learn to share or we nuke both of you!".
The concept of the Jews being God's chosen people is a Jewish belief, not just a Zionist one.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Borrowed Time said:
lostclause said:
Borrowed Time said:
Reading and research is good!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_land_purchase_in_Palestine

$1100 per acre compared to $110 per acre in Iowa. Hrm. Yeah, they didn't pay for anything. Look at the percentages.

52.6% from non-Palestinian landowners
24.6% from Palestinian-Arab landowners
9.4% from Fellahin
[sub]Y. Porath. The Palestinian Arab Movement: From Riots to Rebellion. 1977. p.84[/sub]
The majority of the land pf Israel was taken during the war of independence, the UN plan only gave them half they took it all. Afterwards they passed a law against Palestinians returning. If compensation was offered, how were they going to collect it? Israel had long refused to listen to the UN resolutions saying to let them return. Quoting wiki:
'They wanted to return to what were their homes prior to the Arab-Israeli War, looking for their lost loved ones, harvesting crops from fields that were confiscated'
Granted, most settlements before the war were legitimate, but most of the land of Israel is the spoils of war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevention_of_Infiltration_law
Exactly, "most settlements before the war were legitimate", yet Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria attacked Israel. Granted, denying individuals the ability to go home after the war was wrong, they also feared retaliation from the arabs. They were attacked on almost all sides. >_< Yeah, I'd be grabbing land too honestly.
sorry for the double. We had a president willing to do everything for peace, he had plans to give up all the land the arabs wanted and to make a perfectly equal treaty with them. Some arabs assasinated him in public. Now what do you propose?

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I try to stay out of Middle Eastern politics. Also something tells me that this thread will not end well

kvenox

Oct 17, 2008
CosmicCommander said:
The entire reason for this never-ending conflict, is due to a single damnable place, Jerusalem, now as long as Jerusalem exists as part of any nation, there will be a conflict of interests over the place, and who should have it.

The only solution, is to make Jerusalem, like Vatican City, an independant city-state, with no particular religious or national bias. The leaders of the city-state could supervise pilgrims, trade, and crime that occurs within the state, so with that there would be no wars over the place anymore, because no-one owns the place, and the place could function entirely by itself, via charging all visitors for admission. The same could be done with both Mecca and Medina, instantly eradicating 75% of the conflicts in the middle east, so the term, 'Killing three birds with one stone' never seemed appropriate.
i agree

lolmynamewastaken

Jun 9, 2009
how come Attack is capitalised but Israel isn't?
i voted no but i might have changed my mind and i might change it back..

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Both sides can go fuck themselves. Its just a bunch of right and left wing nutters on both sides exacerbating a conflict that most people want to end. Israel needs to stop fucking over the Palestinians and the Palestinians (and Lebanese) need to stop lobbing rockets at the border. What pisses me off most is that most of the rockets are coming in from Lebanon and yet Gaza seems to get the brunt of the reprisals. That's the big issue I have with the Israelis. The fact that these people in Lebanon yell out from bunkers that they will carry on the fight no matter what while in Gaza people starve is the big issue I have with Hamas. As I said, both sides can go fuck themselves.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
Right now I am completely unbiased because i havent listend to the news in like 2 months so I don't even know whats happening.

And just to clear this up, I don't know the situation but if a country pushes back another countryit can still be called self defence, anyone remeber the 7 day war, sometimes the best defence is a good offence.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Was Israel's action understandable? yes.

Was it right? no.

I think that is the easiest way to sum up my thoughts on the subject.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
The_Healer said:
oh so you think it was justified?
does the fact that you are from israel have anything to do with that?

Personally I think it is disgusting.
The things that israel is doing to the Palestinian people are inhumane. If I had my way, israel would be wiped clean off the surface of the earth.
how on earth were you not suspended for this?
also, take a wider view of things; the palestinians have given as good as they've gotten and (bombing fucking school buses and whatnot) while the israeli action was too extreme and prolonged it is not the heinous war crime people seem to believe it is. if it was unprovoked, then i would agree, but the years of terrorism and violence make it a too much of a complex issue to take your black and white view.

Borrowed Time

Jun 29, 2009
xXGeckoXx said:
Borrowed Time said:
lostclause said:
Borrowed Time said:
Reading and research is good!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_land_purchase_in_Palestine

$1100 per acre compared to $110 per acre in Iowa. Hrm. Yeah, they didn't pay for anything. Look at the percentages.

52.6% from non-Palestinian landowners
24.6% from Palestinian-Arab landowners
9.4% from Fellahin
[sub]Y. Porath. The Palestinian Arab Movement: From Riots to Rebellion. 1977. p.84[/sub]
The majority of the land pf Israel was taken during the war of independence, the UN plan only gave them half they took it all. Afterwards they passed a law against Palestinians returning. If compensation was offered, how were they going to collect it? Israel had long refused to listen to the UN resolutions saying to let them return. Quoting wiki:
'They wanted to return to what were their homes prior to the Arab-Israeli War, looking for their lost loved ones, harvesting crops from fields that were confiscated'
Granted, most settlements before the war were legitimate, but most of the land of Israel is the spoils of war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevention_of_Infiltration_law
Exactly, "most settlements before the war were legitimate", yet Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria attacked Israel. Granted, denying individuals the ability to go home after the war was wrong, they also feared retaliation from the arabs. They were attacked on almost all sides. >_< Yeah, I'd be grabbing land too honestly.
sorry for the double. We had a president willing to do everything for peace, he had plans to give up all the land the arabs wanted and to make a perfectly equal treaty with them. Some arabs assasinated him in public. Now what do you propose?
Honestly I'm no expert on the issue. All I'm trying to do is state how I would feel in the situation that these so called "self touting experts" propose. Honestly, the little research I've done has been over a limited time period.

Also, just because a few Arabs did this, doesn't mean that all Arabs are to blame. This is a true statement for both sides.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
This is shakey ground to say the least. I personaly feel that the palestinians in Gaza are are the victims here, wether or not they started it, because Isreal is a military power, whereas the Gaza strip is pratically a backwater ghetto cordoned of by a massive concerete wall. Neither of the are exactly innocent. there are zealots on either side equally intent on the utter desturction of the opposing faith, and both side have benn lobbing rockets over the border, but it's hard to sympathise with the Isrealis, considering the their rockets are larger,
and a lot more accurate. I also remeber hearing that the Isrealis used white phosphorus on civilian targets, which I'm pretty sure is illegal.

nyaman said:
Despite at least 2 generations of living in Israel, the Palestinians still don't believe that they have a right to call it home. I simply don't understand why people ever side with the Palestinians on this one.
I feel the need to say that's only about sixty years, which isn't much in comparison to the amountof time the arabs have lived there (which is as long as Islam has existed going by the belief that the prohet Muhammad ascended to heaven there, about 1400 years, at an estimated guess [I could be waay off, but at the very least there have been arabs in palestine for more than ten times as long as the state of israel has existed]). That said, it's abit of a moot argument ,because if I'm not mistaken, both the Arabs and the Jews count as Abrahamic races, giving them equal right to the land. If you believe in that sort of thing, anyway.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
cobra_ky said:
If forced to choose a side, I would be with Palestine because a) more of their civilians have died than Israel's last time I checked (a bit ago, so may not still be acturate), so they seem a bit more like the victims, b) I feel that the Zionist belief of them being God's chosen people, and therefore having rights that others do not, is a bit too much like the Nazi idea of a "master race" to be acceptable, and c) I don't approve of many of the things the Isreali government did in its earlier years. As I said, that was only if I were forced to chose, I'd much rather some other nation just said words to the effect of "learn to share or we nuke both of you!".
The concept of the Jews being God's chosen people is a Jewish belief, not just a Zionist one.
I am aware of that, but have only ever heard this belief used as an excuse for discriminatory and/or violent behavour by Zionists, so I feel there is a noticable difference in the implication of the belief even is the belief itself is technically the same. I admit that this may just seem this way to me because I'm making an inaccurate judgement based on what I hear from some very rational jewish friends and from some of the very hardline zionists that I've heard interviewed on TV/radio/internet over the years.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
tehroc said:
b) I feel that the Zionist belief of them being God's chosen people, and therefore having rights that others do not, is a bit too much like the Nazi idea of a "master race" to be acceptable, and c) I don't approve of many of the things the Isreali government did in its earlier years. As I said, that was only if I were forced to chose, I'd much rather some other nation just said words to the effect of "learn to share or we nuke both of you!".
b) Racism of the highest degree

I agree with this guy, if neither side can be civilized (which they cant be) then the holy land should be nuked into an uninhabitable state for the next 1000 years
Thanks. I thought I'd get flamed to hell for saying that :)

Federalist92

Jul 28, 2009
I would like to understand how all those people who said no can say that.
Israel is the only jewish country in the middle east. Its picked on by all the others because they dont like it.
Gaza has been firing rockets into israel for years.
Its a bit like when theres a wasp that keeps flying around your head and stinging you no matter how many times you shoo it away. You cant really be blamed when you eventually swat that wasp.
Its the same principal on a larger scale. Those rockets Gaza kept firing into southern israeli towns killed lots of people over the 20 or so years theyve been being fired (i think its 20). Israel just retaliated by doing the same to gaza in a few days rather than 20 years. gaza started this fight by killing innocent israeli civillians, and then when israel does something about, suddenly there the bad guys.
I thought Americans might understand this because of Iraq. Supposidly they harboured the terrorists that killed all the people on 9/11. So america invaded to stop the terrorists. Then, the international community all started hating america for invading iraq and the war became greatly unpopular. The poor americans were just defending there intrests. How can they claim this and then critisize israel who were doing the same.
I'm not racist against gaza or anything. i just think its not fair on israel that they get picked on by all the other middle east countrys and when they do something about it, everyone turns on them.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
George Carlin
You ever notice that? Any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they're wearing different kind of hats. Keep an eye on that, it might be important.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
You're completely ignoring the fact that Israel have been erecting settlements all across the Gaza strip, chasing Palestinians away from their homes, claiming that they have a right to their "holy land".

And I fail to see why the Jews should have their own country, I know, they have their culture that is widely spread, but why not give Christians, Muslims and Hindus their own countries as well? After all they too have a widely spread culture that stretches across many countries.