Poll: WASD or Arrow Keys?

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
With WASD, you have Shift, Ctrl, the Space bar, Caps Lock, Tab, Alt, Q, E, R, F, C, V, G, X, and 1-5, and arguably more, all in easy reach with one hand. So yeah.

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
Well, old school was UDLR (Arrows), because a mouse...didn't exist at that point in time.

You had a keyboard, and when Windows and MacOS came out, we needed a directional pointing tool.

Now, I use WASD because it has access to lots of keys around it. It also leaves my pinky within a few mm of my function keys (which I can assign things to it).

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
retyopy said:
gigastrike said:
What about ESDF?

I use the arrow keys normally, and WASD for anything that has a hotbar that is longer than 6.
ESDF? Eh, I've never seen it done, but it feels sort of awkward, just trying it out.
The point of it is to have keys to the left of your hand as well as your right that are able to be easily reached as hotkeys.

DeadXV

Dec 24, 2009
I use FDSA for fps's and WASD for third persons. FDSA is F = Forward, D = Backward, S = Right and A = Left, Left Shift = Sprint (if there is one), R = Reload (thats pretty standard though), E = use, Z = Crouch and W = Torch/Flashlight and with the rest remaining default or getting changed if need be.

efAston

Sep 12, 2011
WSAD. Unless I'm playing a cheap port like Mirror's Edge, which can't understand the characters on that end of a Svorak layout, pushing me over to TGHF, and making me spend the tutorial trying to figure out what XBOX360 controller buttons they correspond to, so I can understand the instructions it's giving me.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
As I'm a right hander, I generally use WASD, but for the MMOs I used to play I used EDSF or RDFG - I only use arrow keys if the game dictates to do so.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
6 years of playing WoW has taught me a few things about gaming:

Always use WASD
Always use mouse for turning
Never use hotkeys that are further away than the '6' key: (shift-1, shift-2 etc are all viable hotkeys)
Don't stand in the poop.

TurtlesAreDelicious

Aug 31, 2011
I use WASD unless there's a good reason why I should use the arrow keys, e.g., some flash games.
emeraldrafael said:
I think this is the first time I've seen WASD in alphabetical order, so I'm going to quote some random dude from the internet here: Mind = Blown.

EGtodd09

Oct 20, 2010
I use WSAD where appropriate, the only time I use the arrow keys is for racing games and skating games (Tony Hawk's Pro Skater yeeeeeeeeeaaaa boy)

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I didn't normally play games on the PC, and if I did, I used my arrow keys. But then I got into the PC version of Team Fortress 2.

At first it was weird playing the game through using the WASD keys. But then I realized that the set up really isn't that different from a console controller. You use the movement keys with your left hand, and you perform actions on the mouse, such as firing your weapon, with your right hand.

Once I've acquired that mind set, I found the WASD keys to be very comfortable.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Arrow Keys.

I could never do WASD. It feels weird and having to put my hands all the way up there when I'm not typing. Plus I'm right handed so WASD throws me off 'cause it's all on the left side of the keyboard.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
TurtlesAreDelicious said:
I use WASD unless there's a good reason why I should use the arrow keys, e.g., some flash games.
emeraldrafael said:
I think this is the first time I've seen WASD in alphabetical order, so I'm going to quote some random dude from the internet here: Mind = Blown.
Whats so weird about it? if you have an alphabetical keyboard (not that i do) it looks right. though then it would be more awkward to play games using those keys.

besides, I like being different.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
retyopy said:
Odbarc said:
8456 and IJKL I've used in the past, but this was Tandy 2000 days and two or three people had to use the same keyboard to control your doodz.
8465? Wot? How would that even work?
I mentioned this. It was the OLD computers where the mouse wasn't invented or used yet with computers.
Alternatively, 8462 but generally you needed four directions and one or two extra buttons for actions.

WASD would use something like Z and X, IJKL would use , and ., 8456 would use 1 2 or 3.
Stuff like shift, tab, space-bar and all those something didn't blend well with two or three people spamming the keyboard and the controls wouldn't respond all the time.

Games like Fire Power, Double Dragon, Rampage. It worked just fine.