Poll: Weed - Legal or Illegal?

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
ENKC said:
In the UK we tried reducing the classification of weed and things got messy quickly. The popular viewpoint of there being no problem with people being able to smoke it is wishful thinking, it needs real thought put in to it.
As I heard it, the scientist appointed to advise to government on drug policy, Professor Nutt, advised the UK government that it would be best to reduce the classiifcation of weed and was promptly removed from his position by a government that only wanted evidence to support what they had already decided rather than evidence that contradicted what they wanted to do. And weed was kept at the same classification level it was already at.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
lithium.jelly said:
ENKC said:
In the UK we tried reducing the classification of weed and things got messy quickly. The popular viewpoint of there being no problem with people being able to smoke it is wishful thinking, it needs real thought put in to it.
As I heard it, the scientist appointed to advise to government on drug policy, Professor Nutt, advised the UK government that it would be best to reduce the classiifcation of weed and was promptly removed from his position by a government that only wanted evidence to support what they had already decided rather than evidence that contradicted what they wanted to do. And weed was kept at the same classification level it was already at.
What is with people attributing quotes to me in this thread? I never said that either.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
Make it legal, but regulate it and tax the fuck out of it.

I have no sympathy for pot smokers, I just think it's a total waste of time and taxpayer money to prosecute such a non-crime.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
ENKC said:
lithium.jelly said:
ENKC said:
What is with people attributing quotes to me in this thread? I never said that either.
I'm sorry about that, I was quoting the guy immediately below you. I have no idea why it got attributed to you.
This is the guy I was trying to quote.

knives254

Nov 19, 2009
Watch Penn & Teller: Bullshit!, episode "War on Drugs" - Questions the constitutionality of the "War on Drugs" and common allegations against the medical value of Cannabis.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
godfist88 said:
Jaded Scribe said:
As you said, weed is, at worst, on par with drinking. We certainly don't have to change the laws on driving while intoxicated, etc.

It would clear out the justice system of petty offenses, allow the government to regulate and tax it, and would dry up a chunk of the drug trade.
what about the harder drugs like crack and heroine?
I've thought about it. If they could do it in a way that would largely curtail buying for minors, it would be worth looking into. Addicts are going to get their fix, one way or another. Better they do so legally where they can be taxed, guaranteed a "safe" product (i.e the drug hasn't been laced with something else) , in a way that will undermine violent drug dealers and reduce crime, I think it's worth looking into.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
XxRyanxX said:
Cons
Teens can easily get a hold of it now and pay less for weed alone
Some people will abuse it to just get high and it can be a downfall to their lives
Weed is addictive, and without it many would be unable to function right anymore (not for awhile at least)
Weed would rise problems with bad cities or streets, relating to gang violence
A few thoughts on weed from a young adult. Up until the day i turned 21 I had a much easier time getting weed then I did alcohol. Everyone I know shares the same experience there.

Its really hard to "abuse" weed. Its pretty much the perfect drug. It has no known long term side effects. nobody has gotten cancer from smoking weed. nobody has every gotten more than a bad case of the munchies and a need for a long nap.

Weed is NOT addictive. Not in any sense of the word. Not alot to say here so I will add this little tidbit. weeds active ingredient is THC, interestingly enough we have thc receptors in our brain, this means somewhere along our long evolutionary line our bodies decided that thc was a good thing to have around.

this last part makes me angry, it makes me angry because its a common misconception that is ass backwards. Personal question: if you could buy something from the gas station, or you could buy it from some shady guy you have little connection with, what would you choose? obviously you would buy it from the store because it is safer. Why do people think taking away a source of income from a gang is a bad thing? Everyone would be alot safer if weed was regulated by the government. Kids would be able to stay away from shady places, there would be a guarantee that nothing has been added to the weed and most of all the money made from selling it would go back into our economy instead of a drug cartels pocket.

joes

Oct 15, 2010
TwitchyGamer101 said:
Many people each year are killed over having possession of it.
This is actually the best argument you could make for legalization. If it was legal, cartels and gangs would have no reason to kill people over it.

Not to mention the scores of lives ruined by having to go to jail due to a drug that is far weaker than most things our doctor's prescribe to keep people doped up and "happy."

But you won't hear that from a DARE officer, so let the fear-mongering continue...

Kayla Herrera

Mar 1, 2011
I am for legalization and I agree with Velcrokidneyz. I don't know WHERE people are getting the idea marijuana is addictive and more dangerous than cigarettes. Do you even know what is in cigarettes in comparison to marijuana? Alcohol kills our body and somehow that is perfectly legal at 21 years of age, but MJ is worse? It's not. MJ has numerous medical uses. I don't see alcohol having safe medical uses besides applying it to wounds. The whole reason MJ was banned is a joke, a selfish matter. Look it up if you don't know. I also agree with the fact that the production of MJ could greatly help our economy. I actually hope that one day it replaces cigarettes.

As for schizophrenia, I learned that this disease can be caused by high amounts of stress, I think? We learned about it in AP Psych in high school about a crisp business man at the end of college who went insane due to the stress and developed schizophrenia. MJ is the opposite of stress, calming the body down. So I am not sure how true that statement is...? I could be wrong there though, I don't know a lot about schizophrenia.

THere are no records of people dying from MJ or people killing other people (like if on PCP); this makes no sense due to the effects of MJ... Sometimes I think half of the people on this forum make shit up to support their claim. Stop it. Educate yourselves and stop listening to your parents and Glenn Beck. MJ could create a revolution in the medical industry and we are just barely beginning.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
whiteblood said:
Keep that shit illegal. Peoiple are stupid and mentally fogged up enough already, why hand them another way to go the way of the retard? Keep them hungry, desperate, poor and on the run.
What the fuck man?
This is about weed not crystal meth.

-AC80-

Jul 10, 2009
from a stoner POV:
Pros:
Medical (the sheer advantages for medical is huge, it literately is near endless with well over 17,000 medical applications and benefits)(it is also imposable to die of a weed overdose)
bio fuel
paper
industry (paper production, clothing and just about anything that uses cloth or wood as a bonding agent and a item of everyday use far out numbers the uses of wood and wool, as hemp lasts a much longer time and is very useful)
getting high (a truly amazing experience that everyone must try)
crime (when some one is under the effects of weed and ONLY weed all they want to do is lie down, do nothing and talk to friends and maybe eat. unlike on alcohol. also the myth that DUI will increase it totally wrong because i am a driver and all i want to do is lie down with some mates at home and stay the night.)
addictiveness (weed isn't addictive. if the body loses access to weed it go though a FAR lighter process of getting rid of it than on tobacco and alcohol) (take me for example i haven't done weed for 2 weeks now and i feel nothing, apart from a ever so slight temptation to do it. if i was doing this on tobacco after 2 days i would be going crazy desperate for it, but no, i am fine.)

the real differences between weed and tobacco and alcohol:
weed is far less dangerous and less addictive. on weed you want to stay at home with fiends. it NOT cancerous and it is actually healthy for you. It wont cause you to do something stupid and it is a great drug that can really help and improve the world.

Cons:

the smoke and smell of it
the fact it is still illegal.
cost
purity
and yes those are the only real disadvantages of it

now please watch the video as it has worded it far better than I have.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
feauxx said:
this poll needs a 'dutch' option..
Yeah well, no. While it's true that the awareness is better here in Holland, it's a typical dutch keep everybody happy method. In practice it just makes things complicated; rules with footnotes with footnotes with.. In my town a lot of shops are closed because they trespassed one of these rules, which are practically impossible to maintain and give rise to criminal elements.
We've had this system for like 25 years and should've legalized it long ago.

MrA

Jul 26, 2009
Legalize. So many people do it, I think the benefits of its legality outweigh the cause for it staying illegal. It's no worse than alcohol in my opinion. although I do agree with regulations (like not driving stoned, being fired for turning up stoned to work, etc.) but the tax revenue and weed no longer being a gateway drug seems like the optimal route to take on this matter.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Marijuana should be legal, regulated and taxed. You cannot overdose on it like you can with other drugs and alcohol. You should not drive on it, and technically shouldn't even smoke it - the damage it does to your lungs is 10 fold compared to cigarettes.

That being said, as with alcohol, in moderation can be enjoyed responsibly. Has numerous social benefits - not the least of which is a small reduction in crime and an increase in tax revenue.

It would curb the drug trade in marijuana and likely even reduce hard drug usage - why go to the shady scumbag drug dealer who might try to sell you something else, when you can just get high from your local weed supply store legally and safely?

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Keep it banned! Iv seen one too many stoners to know that the stuff is bad for you.

So... Anybody gonna rage at me? Toss the "theres so scientific proof" argument after me, in which I respond with one... Which will be dismissed as "Biased"?
Done that before and I know that theres no use arguing with the fanatic...

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Make it legal. I don't mess with pot, but I'll defend to the death your right to smoke it.

In fact, I say make all drugs legal. I don't see why it's the government's job to police my personal body. If I believe that I am responsible enough to handle taking a drug, then I should be able to.