Poll: Well how did you feel about the Purple Wedding (GoT Spoilers)

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Aug 14, 2020
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Watching Joffery die like he did I was actively cheering and shouting die you bastard die.

That's a first for me...

The Dwarf scene was just fucking terrible in the good way. I didnt think it was funny and found it distasful. I am glad it was there tho if you know the books you know its perfectly fine to be in there. Also its not like Joffery is a good guy or anything man I wanted to punch him every time I saw him for being such a twat.

So what was some of the highlights for you guys and where you as happy to watch the twat die as I was?

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
When I was reading the book I put it down and high fived my wife, I don't watch the show though.

When just desserts are served they are served well, George RR Martin is really good at making me hate people.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Purple wedding?
Is that what people are calling it? It's not as catchy as the Red Wedding.

I'm glad they changed what they did from the books, like the dwarf scene with Tyrion, I thought it worked really well on-screen.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
It was amazing. And it made me do something that I never thought I would do... have sympathy for Joffery. Don't get me wrong, he got everything coming to him and deserved a lot worse in my opinion, but I couldn't get over how he died. For the length of the show he was untouchable, his crimes devoid of any real punishment (save for a few meme worthy slaps to the face), and he ruled with a supreme air of arrogance that made him so easy to hate. But at the end, all this was stripped away; no annoying smirk, no threats of violence, not even a crown on his head. All things that he used to lord over people, gone. As he died he was just a small boy, crying in the arms of his mother as he choked his last breath.

It was amazing and I am glad they did it the way they did.

Captcha: river styx

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Since I read the books I knew it was coming, and to that end, the lead up to it felt a little long. I spent about ten minutes going "just kill the little fungus already" especially when the dwarfs came out. Still, the actual death, good times.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
I was surprised it happened this early in the season, but whatever. Glad Joffrey's gone, he was a dick.

Also, the Purple Wedding is a stupid fucking name. I don't think it had a name in the books, but the King's Wedding works just fine.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I'd been waiting for it ever since I read it in the books, and it didn't disappoint me one bit. The scene between Cersei, Tywin and Oberyn was just delicious, watching Oberyn roast them both in epic fashion. No less satisfying was Tyrion's rebuttal to Joffrey's proposition. The part with the dwarves battling was actually even better than in the books. And of course the main dish, the final death scene, was the best of them all. I just grinned like a maniac with glee all the way up to it, and started shaking when it happened.

Also, fangasm when Bronn and Jaime practiced swordfighting. I know, it's something out of a fan fiction, but by God, was it ever cool to see!

A sublime episode. And there's still so much to come! This might be the best season GoT has had yet, and we're only 2 episodes in!

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Aug 14, 2020
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Treeinthewoods said:
The show works well at making us hate him just as much as it did in the books but seeing the death over reading it it was so great see.

You know a char is well made when you hate him for the right reasons and are glad to see him die.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
Why was it called The Purple Wedding when there was nothing purple about it other than Joffrey choked up face? (Sig!)

Still that was some strong posion for his face darken and his sclera bleed like that!

Now I want to know who spike the drink since obvious Tyrion is innocent despite he does got the motive but yet again everyone got a motive to killed him!!! I guessing it could be that queen since the the goblet was near her or maybe Litte Finger since he has been the manipulative character.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Aug 14, 2020
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Scarim Coral said:
Why was it called The Purple Wedding when there was nothing purple about it other than Joffrey choked up face? (Sig!)
Have you read the books? Might be a small spoiler so I'll put it in spoiler-text anyway. Mind you it's a very small spoiler.

The necklace that Sansa wore had purple diamonds, or obsidians, or some shit like that, anyway, purple gems, and those gems were poisonous and were used to kill Joffrey, basically.

That's...about it.

Simskiller

Oct 13, 2010
It's called the Purple wedding because of royalty.

Anyways, I'm not watching season 4 till I catch up and finish book 3, knew joffery's death was coming, didn't think it would be so soon though, thought it would be a end of season/book thing.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I thought it was interesting how they went so heavy on the poison route compared to the book where it seemed just as likely at first that he just choked to death on the pie. As such, the pretty visceral death he had seemed almost too over the top for me.

Overall I really liked the episode and found that some of the seemingly small changes they've made from the book actually open up some very interesting possibilities for the future.

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
"'Bout damn time." That was my reaction. Read the books so it wasn't as poignant as it otherwise would have been. Need to re-read these chapters to recall what comes next. This seems to be a bit early for the "shocking moment" though I'm sure they'll come up with something to keep us interested.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I did not see the episode, but read the book. Honestly I thought Joffrey would kill Cersei, Emperor Nero style, before he died.
ihavetwo said:
Colour Scientist said:
debtcollector said:
Scarim Coral said:
SecretNegative said:
Simskiller said:
It mentions in the book that "some are calling this the purple wedding." The purple wedding because, in the books he turns purple.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
You don't know how long I was waiting for this to happen and the wait was worth it, it was just satisfying, respect to Jack Gleeson, amazing actor, it's a shame he said he's quitting acting after GoT.

ragethebeast

Oct 19, 2010
Loved the wedding part, everything about it was better than i had hoped it would be since reading it. The only problem i had with the episode as a whole was the characterization of Stannis Baratheon ( at least i don't remember anywhere in the books him showing such compassion for anyone especially not his daughter.)

Michael Law

Mar 16, 2012
The gem, royalty, wine ,and the little bastards face are all purple so people started calling it that. Not a new name, I've called it that for years now. But no, it is not as catchy as the red wedding.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
ragethebeast said:
Loved the wedding part, everything about it was better than i had hoped it would be since reading it. The only problem i had with the episode as a whole was the characterization of Stannis Baratheon ( at least i don't remember anywhere in the books him showing such compassion for anyone especially not his daughter.)
I'd say it's because before he was deadset on his goal, now it seems like he's questioning the blind dedication by the followers of his mad religion, and he sees them for what they are. A danger to him and his family, which he overlooked because he was so obsessed by the throne and Melisandre.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
May 26, 2020
Country
United States
ragethebeast said:
The only problem i had with the episode as a whole was the characterization of Stannis Baratheon ( at least i don't remember anywhere in the books him showing such compassion for anyone especially not his daughter.)
It's necessary to counter balance Stannis' trademark gruff nature with acts of kindness in the series, otherwise he'll come across as worse than he really is in the new medium.

Sadly, subtlety doesn't work as well in cinema as it does on paper, especially when you switch to a method where you can't see other character's thoughts.

That said, I don't think the characterization was all that horrid. It was a good focal point for the conflict of Stannis' personal morals and those of the red woman he depends on.

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
A little off topic and to avoid spoiler trolls, I'm not going to read any replies, so if you don't want to bother replying then that's fine. I've seen this episode, so it doesn't directly affect me this time, but...

I'm so tired of Diet Spoilers. I never read the books and I never directly heard anyone say anything about S3E9 or the details of its plot, but unless the rest of Earth is so completely narratively retarded compared to me and I'm some sort of literary prophetic genius, it's impossible to not know pretty much everything that was going to happen by throwing around terms like "The Red Wedding." Retweeting George R. R. Martin saying "You're Welcome" is a spoiler. Telling people not to watch a Youtube clip if they haven't seen it when the title is blatantly embedded with "GRAPHIC SCENE: RED WEDDING" is a spoiler.

This thread really isn't the optimal place for this discussion I know, but if I hadn't seen the show and I saw this thread title, I'd go into the episode having immediately known something significant was going to happen or that a major character would die and the impact of it would have been completely diluted.

I understand that when a show is great and with social media being rampant, it's hard not to get excited and to sort of get into a big Internet huddle, but for what it's worth, putting "THE PURPLE WEDDING (GoT SPOILERS) into a title is 80% of a spoiler unto itself. Why do people do this? Why not "GoT Season 4 Episode 2 Opinions?" or something? It's like if the Internet was around in 1980 and you made a thread about Empire Strikes Back using a father-son joke, but still had a parenthetical spoiler warning.

Alright, carry on.

Lyiat

Dec 10, 2008
It's called the Purple Wedding because Purple is the color of royalty. No further questions are needed on the subject.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The show finally got to that bit, eh?

I'm just thankful I won't have to listen to the illiterate screen beans prattling on about, "OMG, Joffrey is soooo evil, #roastjoffrey lololol!"

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Clapped in glee, well close to it anyway.

Nobody tells off Sigur Ros and commands them to leave and lives to tell about it. Nobody.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
The only thing I didn't like about it was Joffrey wasn't cut in half satisfyingly by one of the many characters prone to doing that.

ragethebeast said:
I get the impression he's sort of dragged along with the whole Sun God thing and is actually a bit disgusted at his own actions and the insanity he's surrounded with, but acts the part until it comes to his daughter, which is where he has to draw the line. I don't know if that's how he's supposed to be but that's how he comes across to me as a non-reader.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
ragethebeast said:
at least they nailed his lack of compassion for his wife xD but yeah, he did seem a tad too keen on his daughter, but they've also made his wife even madder, in the books she was just insanely devoted to the red god, not insane in general.

i loved the last few moments. not for the death - that was disappointing because he didn't claw his own throat out - but for tyrion's actions. they totally got his attempts at diffusing the situation, trying to appease joffrey and give him an out to act gracefully yet he never took it. also i got immense satisfaction from seeing Lena Headey's smile wiped off her face, she portrays cersei really well IMO

MeChaNiZ3D said:
I get the impression he's sort of dragged along with the whole Sun God thing and is actually a bit disgusted at his own actions and the insanity he's surrounded with, but acts the part until it comes to his daughter, which is where he has to draw the line. I don't know if that's how he's supposed to be but that's how he comes across to me as a non-reader.
i'll give you that. i think as time goes on he gets more sucked into it, but there is definitely conflict. it's almost as is davos and melissandre are two angels on his shoulders, one appealing to his previous life of justice and righteousness and the other trying to get him to change and embrace the lord of light. i certainly see davos that way, and his promotion to hand i always thought was his attempt to keep himself in check when he has moments of doubt

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Arya should be the one to kill him. They would have a second fight mirroring the one at the river, except this time they're both adults, and are equipped with swords rather than sticks.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Aug 14, 2020
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Asclepion said:
Arya should be the one to kill him. They would have a second fight mirroring the one at the river, except this time they're both adults, and are equipped with swords rather than sticks.

I disagree.

Mirroring is old hat, lots of shows, films, books, whatever do that to round of significant story arcs. It doesn't automatically make the narrative any better or more thought provoking.

Here we have the death of a major character that is used as a catalyst for a series of game changing events that are about to come. You also have the poetic symmetry of a 'poisonous' man being killed by poison.

He figuratively sows the seeds of his own death by being venomous to everyone around him and then provides the perfect moment to use his opulence and arrogance as the foundation for his assassination.

Had Arya killed him, nothing would have changed. And all that juicy foreshadowing would have gone to waste. The fight wouldn't have been a mirror of the early fight, it would have been exactly the same, only with real stakes. Arya beat Joffrey soundly the first time they fought, she'd have done it even more so had it happened again. That would have been a waste of the narrative technique.

Mirroring works best as a way to highlight significant changes that have happened inbetween the points. Think Berserk, if you've seen or read it. The mirror between Guts' and Griffith's first fight and then what happens after Doldry. The balance of power shifted dramatically in the 3 years between the two fights. This is alluded to at many points throughout this timeframe but is only given closure as Guts' bats Griffith away like a child.

Had Arya lost her first encounter, a mirrored fight by a river with the roles reversed would have been a good way to end it. As it is, it wouldn't be mirroring so much as retreading old ground. Not a particularly strong narrative device if you ask me. There's no progression, no way to measure the journey of the characters, just 2 identical fights. One fatal, one not.

Just my 2 cents.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
its funny..I don't even watch this show..I can't bring myself to, yet I feel compelled wiki/TV tropes binge on it to figure out the context for all the stuff I hear.....its terrible

that shit with "reek"/Theon is just....too much..I mean [i/]god[/i] *shudder*

Colour Scientist said:
Purple wedding?

I'm glad they changed what they did from the books, like the dwarf scene with Tyrion, I thought it worked really well on-screen.
was it in regards to the color of the poison/the color it turned joffrey?

Zhukov said:

I'm just thankful I won't have to listen to the illiterate screen beans prattling on about, "OMG, Joffrey is soooo evil, #roastjoffrey lololol!"
little elitist aren't we?

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Vault101 said:
its funny..I don't even watch this show..I can't bring myself to, yet I feel compelled wiki/TV tropes binge on it to figure out the context for all the stuff I hear.....its terrible

that shit with "reek"/Theon is just....too much..I mean [i/]god[/i] *shudder*

Colour Scientist said:
Purple wedding?

was it in regards to the color of the poison/the color it turned joffrey?
You should give it a shot, reading about it is probably worse than actually watching it.

Yeah, it relates to Joffrey turning purple but I don't think it works as well as the Red Wedding.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I was sad. Joffrey was a little *****, but I loved to hate him. Who am I gonna hate now?!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
You should give it a shot, reading about it is probably worse than actually watching it.

Yeah, it relates to Joffrey turning purple but I don't think it works as well as the Red Wedding.
the fact I feel compelled to do that at all probably makes it true..maybe I will one day but theres only so much unpleasantness I can take XD...I should though, I think I'd want to read the books first

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Vault101 said:
Colour Scientist said:

the fact I feel compelled to do that at all probably makes it true..maybe I will one day but theres only so much unpleasantness I can take XD...I should though, I think I'd want to read the books first
Yeah, they're pretty good.
He's not going to win any awards for his writing any time soon but they're engaging and it's easy to eat your way through them.
I watched season one, couldn't wait to find out what happened and read the books before the start of season two.

The show isn't unpleasant all of the time, just most of the time. XD
I guess you only hear about the shocking things that happens so you miss out on the light-hearted, more human side of the show.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
Yeah, they're pretty good.
He's not going to win any awards for his writing any time soon but they're engaging and it's easy to eat your way through them.
well I guess thats good since theyre're long and picking up a doorstopper high fantasy is pretty intimidating

[quote/]The show isn't unpleasant all of the time, just most of the time. XD
I guess you only hear about the shocking things that happens so you miss out on the light-hearted, more human side of the show.[/quote]

yeah, its not that I cant take unpleasantness its just when you start getting...[i/]heavy[/i] with characters motivations shades of grey and all that..well its just me, hard to explain

Kyrian007

Officially no longer the Enemy of the People
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I was laughing. Almost as hard as I laughed at the Red Wedding. I really have not seen a death in ASoIaF so far that happened to someone who didn't deserve it in some way. And I'm a guy who really delights in witnessing comeuppance. And few deserved it more than Joff. Although I always found a kind of bizarre honesty in his crapulence. With most of the other characters they either tried to conceal their dark side or had some kind of dark secret they tried to protect. At least Joff made no bones about what a little douche he was.
(Note: I don't watch the show. Unless they start deviating from the books in a more significant manner I don't see the point of paying for HBO to see a show that's showing me nothing I didn't already read a decade ago.)

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
A_suspicious_cabbage said:
Dueling Joffrey again would be a culmination of both of their arcs up to this point. We get a much more direct narrative link- Joffrey suffers for his cruelty by the blade of someone he fought years ago and lashed out against. He would be just as responsible, but we would also see how his opponent has changed. It would be a parallel battle, the stakes far more dire.

Joffrey being poisoned may certainly be a catalyst, but it comes so suddenly that we are left without buildup and dramatic tension that him meeting Arya again would have given us.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Aug 14, 2020
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Asclepion said:
Dueling Joffrey again would be a culmination of both of their arcs up to this point. We get a much more direct narrative link- Joffrey suffers for his cruelty by the blade of someone he fought years ago and lashed out against. He would be just as responsible, but we would also see how his opponent has changed. It would be a parallel battle, the stakes far more dire.

Joffrey being poisoned may certainly be a catalyst, but it comes so suddenly that we are left without buildup and dramatic tension that him meeting Arya again would have given us.
The fact that Ayra beat him so easily the first time they fought, would completely dissipate any tension such and encounter should elicit. We know going in that a year ago, Arya whupped Joffery with ease. She has since gotten better with a sword, Joffery has not. There's no tension there, and no point mirroring an earlier duel as it highlights no change or progression for the characters.

It might bring some circular resolution to the Starks revenge plotline, but Arya is heading down a different path. Her character arc is just beginning, having her flit back to Kings Landing to repeat a duel she's already won is pointless. Her story is with the Faceless man and his brotherhood.

And the poetic justice of betrayal and cowardly assassination being Joffery's undoing trumps seeing him repeat a duel we know he's going to lose anyway.

We've been told countless times that honour and forthrightness, like that which would be found in an earnest duel, have no place in Kings Landing. It's a den of vipers, and Joffery's arrogance got him bit.

Edit:

Also, I'd like to point out that when Martin kills of a character, he doesn't just kill them. He robs them of everything that is key to their being. With Ned, he robbed him of his honour by making him admit to something he didn't do. With Rob, he killed him by betrayal from his own allies and clipped his proverbial wings by decimating his army and killing his soon to be family. With Khal crippled him and took away his chance at a warriors death.

Joffery prided himself on his regal dignity and the power that gave him. The way he dies totally removes this dignity. He dies, choking and spluttering with a mouthful of pie and his crown rolling in the dirt. There's dignity in a duel. That's the whole point of them. For two disagreeing parties to settle a dispute whilst maintaining their honour. A duel, however embarrassing, was to dignified a death.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Loved it. Though now I'm looking forward to the slow reveal and the downfall of a few choice characters...

Vault101 said:
well I guess thats good since theyre're long and picking up a doorstopper high fantasy is pretty intimidating
Might sound silly, but I found reading them on my tablet was less intimidating as I couldn't actually see the size of the book... I don't know how that works but I got more engaged in the story and less worried about how much was left to read.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Great episode! I loved the pacing, the acting... everything was brilliant. And that end, dang! Didn't see it coming.
I don't hate Joffrey, I thought he was comically evil, meaning he tries too hard to make people hate him. (which doesn't work on me cuz I'm a rebel.)

Can't wait to see more!

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Pinkamena said:
I was sad. Joffrey was a little *****, but I loved to hate him. Who am I gonna hate now?!
Take your pick, it's not like there's a lack of characters to hate.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
While he was breathing his last seconds I kept gleefully say "Die you bastard!" (pun intended).

I was quite happy with this outcome, although I would of preferred if he would of suffered more than just simply choking to death. He deserved way more so he got off easy if you ask me.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
I didn't recall that it happened this early (in both HBO and Storm of Swords duology sense). Other than that, you could describe my reaction as dull surprise related to the earliness.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
I found the scene extremely disappointing. Nothing to do with the show; when that scene happened in the book I just felt a sort of disappointing apathy. I'm still not very well adjusted to George R. R. Martin's way of handling characters, and I had ignorantly assumed Joffery would be a large part of the story for a time to come. The way he dies left me feeling extremely unsatisfied. I haven't finished the books though, so I don't know if there's much more to it all, but I was truly hoping he'd go in a more justice born manner. I felt awful seeing him lying on the ground purple faced, but I still have to say I would have felt much better about the scene if Tyrion or someone else had actually stabbed him. (Not realistic, but I can dream).

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
It looked appropriately painful. So I liked that.

My only problem, however, is that he's not an interesting type of evil. He has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. He's evil, stupid, and weak in every way possible.

Seriously - imagine any scenario you want. Now place Joffrey in that situation. He is guaranteed to deal with it in the worst way possible. Basically, the worst thing you can do with a character is either make him / her perfect in every way or terrible in every way.

The issue with Joffrey was that he was comically evil, aimless in his cruelty.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I loved it. Joffrey got a chance to be the most delightfully horrible he's been in a long time AND IT WAS GLORIOUS, and then he died a painful, revolting death AND IT WAS GLORIOUS.

I went to bed happy.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
The_Scrivener said:
I'm so tired of Diet Spoilers.
Realistically I'm incredibly amused by people that are getting angry at "spoilers" for a story that was written a decade ago. There's a limit on how long you can call something a spoiler and I think over ten years is pushing it.

SKBPinkie said:
My only problem, however, is that he's not an interesting type of evil. He has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. He's evil, stupid, and weak in every way possible.

Seriously - imagine any scenario you want. Now place Joffrey in that situation. He is guaranteed to deal with it in the worst way possible. Basically, the worst thing you can do with a character is either make him / her perfect in every way or terrible in every way.

That's kind of the point of him, he's not an evil genius or a demon, he's a spoiled petty cruel little boy given way more power than he should ever have had and doted on by parents that treasured him past seeing his flaws, partially due to how he was conceived. Joffrey is a symptom, not the problem.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
He's not going to win any awards for his writing any time soon...
You probably meant that in a figurative sense, but...

1975 Hugo Award for Best Novella for "A Song for Lya"
1980 Hugo Award for Best Novelette for "Sandkings"
1980 Nebula Award for Best Novelette for "Sandkings" (This is on the only Martin's story to win both a Hugo and a Nebula.)
1980 Hugo Award for Best Short Story for "The Way of Cross and Dragon"
1986 Nebula Award for Best Novelette for "Portraits of His Children"
1988 Bram Stoker Award for Long Fiction for "The Pear-Shaped Man"
1989 World Fantasy Award for Best Novella for "The Skin Trade"
1997 Hugo Award for Best Novella for "Blood of the Dragon"
2003 Premio Ignotus for Best Foreign Novel for A Game of Thrones
2004 Premio Ignotus for Best Foreign Novel for A Clash of Kings
2003 Locus Poll Award for Best Fantasy Novel for A Storm of Swords
2006 Premio Ignotus for Best Foreign Novel for A Storm of Swords
2011 Locus Poll Award for Best Original Anthology for Warriors (co-edited with Gardner Dozois)
Declared by Time Magazine "One of the Most Influential People of 2011"[3]
2012 Locus Poll Award for Best Fantasy Novel for A Dance with Dragons
2012 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form for Game of Thrones Season 1 (Co-Executive Producer of the HBO series)
2012 World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement
2013 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form for Game of Thrones , Season 2, Episode 9, "Blackwater" (Screenwriter)

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Aug 14, 2020
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Asclepion said:
trust me, Arya has more important things that will be happening with her possibly this season if The Purple Wedding was done this early.

A Lady has no honor, after all.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
That whole wedding was the most amazingly awkward thing I've seen on TV in a while. All the families hate each other, most of them only bothering to hide it by the most tiny amount, and Joffery was... well, Joffery, to the very end.

I'm just glad we get to see so much more of Oberyn. He was a fun minor-character from the books, and they nailed him so well in the show. Just, going around, being the Red Viper, on vacation with his paramour, waiting for the chance to get his revenge while generally giving few fucks in the meantime. I can't wait to see how they handle his daughters. Now *they* ought to be fun to watch.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Lyiat said:
It's called the Purple Wedding because Purple is the color of royalty. No further questions are needed on the subject.
In the real world it is... In the GoT world the colour of royalty is whatever colours the house on the throne uses. For the Baratheons it should be gold and black but since the Lannisters are egotistical and very unsubtle at hiding the fact that Joffrey is a bastard, they used the Lannister crimson and gold instead. I can't remember a single instance of the colour purple being associated with royalty within the ASOIAF universe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The purple wedding is called the purple wedding for 2-3 reasons

1. Joffrey's face literally turned purple as he choked to death
The gems in Sansa's hairnet in the book were purple and they are what poisoned Joffrey
3. The wine, once poisoned turned from red to a dark purple as observed by Tyrion in the books

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Azure-Supernova said:
Loved it. Though now I'm looking forward to the slow reveal and the downfall of a few choice characters...

Vault101 said:
Might sound silly, but I found reading them on my tablet was less intimidating as I couldn't actually see the size of the book... I don't know how that works but I got more engaged in the story and less worried about how much was left to read.
My e reader keeps track if how many pages to go...and if its a purchased book it will tell me how many hours I have left...it would be I retesting to turn off the page numbers...

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Zhukov said:

Lord and master, teach me how to read tomes of arcane lettering, so that I may rise from the rank of screen bean and read a book series that before the TV show was reasonably obscure!

Furthermore, screen bean, is that even vaguely offensive to anyone? Help me out here folks, I'm not even sure what the fuck a screen bean is.

Asclepion said:

I havent read the books, but it would feel far to cliche, and GoT doesn't seem to be into that, it pulls the rug out from under you then strangles you with it.

Furthermore, the idea of a mirror duel usually has the purpose of showing how much the protagonist has grown or improved, the rematch by necessity would be because the Hero lost the first time.

Arya already mopped the floor with Joffrey once, who is afterall, a massive coward, almost completely incapable of fighting in military campaigns or single combat, as demonstrated by the Battle of the Blackwater; where he shit his pants and ran off to his mother, or single combat, where he had his arse kicked by an 11 year old girl. At this point, Arya has already killed several people, has improved her swordplay somewhat, has great big swinging bollocks compared to Joffrey and would've effortlessly cut Joffrey down without breaking a sweat, were they to meet again. Arya stabbing that dude through the throat last episode thematically served the same purpose a duel with Joffrey would've done.

It's not like Luke and Vader, where Vader clearly had the upper hand in the first fight, heck vader still had a bit of an upper hand in the second fight. But either way they where still epic battles, with both combatants being highly skilled. You wouldn't get that with Arya vs Joffrey, she would've just effortlessly dodged some feeble attempt at sword play and stabbed him in the throat, jobs a goodun and they all went home for tea and crumpets.

I felt the tension between Tyrion and Joffrey was absoloutely palpable myself, I was even expecting Sansa to snap and randomly stab him at the wedding. And like someone else said, it's thematically apt that he die of poison in such...a gruesome fashion, for being such a venomous person.

OT: The only thing is, is the new villians are clearly supposed to be the Boltons, but y'know what? I fucking like Ramsay Bolton, he's fucking insane, but he pulls his evil off with such a comical, gleeful deliciousness that I enjoy every scene he's in. "Oh no, Pork Sausage, you think I'm some sort of savage?" Maybe him and The Joker could team up in some sort of mayhem rampage tag team duo. I'm glad Simon from Misfits got some more work, he could do well from this.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 26, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
SKBPinkie said:
It looked appropriately painful. So I liked that.

Joffrey has no redeeming characteristics in his person, admittedly, but there are mitigating factors to viewing him as black-and-white.

He's thirteen years old, after all, with an incredibly unhealthy dynamic between his parents (those who raised him, anyway). As a younger kid, he's the subject of both abuse from his famous father and overbearing protectiveness from his mother in almost equal measure. Then he's given ultimate power.

So, he's incredibly evil, undeniably, but he's not exactly somebody who was ever given a chance of developing normally or healthily.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
elvor0 said:
Zhukov said:

Lord and master, teach me how to read tomes of arcane lettering, so that I may rise from the rank of screen bean and read a book series that before the TV show was reasonably obscure!

Furthermore, screen bean, is that even vaguely offensive to anyone? Help me out here folks, I'm not even sure what the fuck a screen bean is.
A screen bean is someone who watches a lot of TV. And no, it's not particularly insulting.

I was not being entirely serious. Especially given that the show was into it's third season when I started reading the books. (Although I hadn't watched it.)

The constant prattling about Joffrey did get very annoying very fast though. Genuinely glad I won't have to hear more of it.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Clapped in glee, well close to it anyway.

Nobody tells off Sigur Ros and commands them to leave and lives to tell about it. Nobody.
This right here. If it wasn't for the overwhelming evidence that Grandma Tyrell was the one that poisoned him (which would be a slight change from the books), I would say they did it =p

I thought the dwarf scene was funny and appreciated the change from the book (what can I say, I am a tasteless bastard), but the genius is that it works even if you don't have the deranged sense of humor I do - you can just be disgusted at Joff even more.

Kyrian007 said:
(Note: I don't watch the show. Unless they start deviating from the books in a more significant manner I don't see the point of paying for HBO to see a show that's showing me nothing I didn't already read a decade ago.)
Most of the people who watch the show don't pay for HBO. It's the most pirated show in existence, take from that what you will. I myself buy the DVDs and watch it at friends' houses. While it's not a perfect adaptation, it's some of the best TV out there and you really do owe it to yourself to check it out at some point.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
As someone who read the books, I didn't really care. Reading about it was a little moment of happiness but since I didn't hate or like the scumbag, I sorta just passed it by.

squeekenator

Dec 23, 2008
Simskiller said:
Anyways, I'm not watching season 4 till I catch up and finish book 3, knew joffery's death was coming, didn't think it would be so soon though, thought it would be a end of season/book thing.
It was an end of book thing. Book 3 was split into two seasons, season 3 was a bit more than half and season 4 is the rest. So it wouldn't make much sense to have a nice relaxing lead in to all the action in season 4.

Kyrian007

Officially no longer the Enemy of the People
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
MisterGobbles said:
Kyrian007 said:
Most of the people who watch the show don't pay for HBO. It's the most pirated show in existence, take from that what you will. I myself buy the DVDs and watch it at friends' houses. While it's not a perfect adaptation, it's some of the best TV out there and you really do owe it to yourself to check it out at some point.
Maybe sometime. I've seen clips and such on tv and it looks good, but the idea of watching a show where I always know what's going to happen next... doesn't really interest me. Now if they go off the rail, and start to deviate from the story I'll be all over it. I really liked Legend of the Seeker on TV, it was obviously of way lower quality but it began deviating from the source material early on, and really just got better and better the further from the storyline of the books that it got. It gave me a reason to keep watching, so far AGoT has given me none. Maybe someday if it shows up on a streaming service I subscribe to.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Aug 14, 2020
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Zhukov said:

Pfff, let me guess, your favorite character isn't even Kaylee C.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Kitsune Hunter said:
You don't know how long I was waiting for this to happen and the wait was worth it, it was just satisfying, respect to Jack Gleeson, amazing actor, it's a shame he said he's quitting acting after GoT.
Can't blame him really, he has received a lot of abuse from idiots that can't separate fiction from reality, shame to be honest because he's a bloody good actor.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I knew it was coming but oh man I still grinned the whole time like a fool. The make up and acting really made it looked painful and for that I'm grateful to the show creators and Jack Gleeson, cause damn did he play a very unlikable bastard. Couldn't imagine anyone else doing Joffrey as good as he did.

Also glad it happened in the 2nd episode and we didn't have some filler episode or two before we got to it. This season is shaping up very nicely

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Ickorus said:
Can't blame him really, he has received a lot of abuse from idiots that can't separate fiction from reality, shame to be honest because he's a bloody good actor.
He's not giving up acting because some idiots can't seperate fiction from reality. He does it because he doesn't like the current glorification of celebrities.
I saw a video of him talking about the show once. As you probably know, his other well known role was in Batman begins as that boy. He said that after that movie, him being "the boy form batman begins" was sort of an inside joke from his friends. After all he wasn't really famous yet or anything. But when he started on Game of Thrones and it became this huge thing and he became famous, he noticed people treating him nicer and generally acting different around him. And he didn't like that. He doesn't like being treated as important, just because he can act and that's why he doesn't want to act anymore. It's kind of hilarious because it just shows how his actual character is the exact opposite of Joffreys character.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I felt the same way about it as I did Viserys Targaryen's death. I mean they were both evil assholes and I know they kind of deserve it but I just felt kind of empty when it happened, not happy. I actually felt kind of sorry for them dying in such slow and horrible ways. I felt really sorry for his parents, they sat there helpless as their son dies in their arms. Their son was a total dick but still, it would be awful for them. Shame Jack Gleeson is retiring from acting, he is very talented.

Also I agree with the comment on the first page about 'diet' spoilers also being annoying. I heard people mention the 'purple wedding' and knew Joffery was getting married, I figured it would be similar to the Red Wedding except with him. Then my brother put up on facebook that the latest episode of Game of Thrones made his day. It wasn't hard to put 2+2 together and figure out considering the nature of the show that Joffery or someone else that isn't well liked would die. That kind of spoiled it on me and dampened the impact somewhat. Still better than Ned Stark where I was just flat out told he dies before I even started watching the show.

Reiper

Mar 26, 2009
I have read the books and I hate Joffrey, but I actually found it much more satisfying in the books. It is hard to find much pleasure in watching a boy choke to death, even if he is an evil brat.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Aug 14, 2020
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I voted the first option, though to be more precise I was actually choking with laughter (pun intended).

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Was waiting for him to tear his own throat out, was disappointed.
ForumSafari said:
The_Scrivener said:
I'm so tired of Diet Spoilers.
Realistically I'm incredibly amused by people that are getting angry at "spoilers" for a story that was written a decade ago. There's a limit on how long you can call something a spoiler and I think over ten years is pushing it.
Personally I think that line of thinking is tripe. Ten years, nine years, ninety years, it doesn't really matter. It's still a spoiler. Just tag the spoiler and move on, which this thread did so I'm really not sure why he even entered this thread lol.

Lord Doomhammer

Mar 20, 2021
Country
United States
Much like when Rob Stark was killed (spoilers), I felt very underwhelmed. I keep expecting a huge drawn out scene in front of a crowd with blood and screaming and horror... like when Ned Stark was killed (spoilers). But we keep getting these more restrained and private affairs. And in this case, what felt like a scene from scooby fucking doo, where they try to set up three or four people as 'possible killers' in the area by flicking the camera around like a gerbil on meth. All in all, I think it was one of the more poorly filmed sections in this series. That said given the amazing standards of GOT, it's still miles better than any of it's competition.

So no, I wasn't wowed or amazed or even really relieved by the episode. I just felt like it could have been bigger, like a scene where not just a couple of people are getting closure over his death, but the community getting closure over his death and the end of his reign. Because that's what we needed, closure for the community of fans, because I don't think anyone really watches GOT alone.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Oh they are up to that bit.

I'm probably a weird person for feeling sorry for Cersei (and I guess Jamie but he wasn't there at time in the books and seem less attached to him) during that scene when everyone else is cheering at it. I mean, fuck 'em both and he deserved it but even still watching your kid die in such an awful way. Ouch.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I felt like it was a bit of a shame since I quite liked Joffrey as a character. He was always good for a laugh. It's hard to feel empathy for any of the characters in Game of Thrones, so the kind of morbid fascination that characters like him provide is the closest I get to feeling anything watching it.

Truth be told, I never quite understood why Joffrey's considered to be the series' biggest hate sink, since there are other characters that are more horrible and despicable than him. Crastor, Walder Frey, Melissandre, & the Boltons to name a few. I'd even go so far as to say Cersei is worse, since so many of her actions are just petty and spiteful.

On that note, has anyone watched the reaction videos yet? Am I the only one who found that kind of distrubing? It's just a bunch of people laughing and cheering at footage of a young man choking to death. I know you didn't like him much guys, but Jesus Christ...

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Nouw said:
Personally I think that line of thinking is tripe. Ten years, nine years, ninety years, it doesn't really matter. It's still a spoiler. Just tag the spoiler and move on, which this thread did so I'm really not sure why he even entered this thread lol.
Would you tag that
Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father?

Or how about that
Ebeneezar Scrooge changes his ways and Tiny Tim lives?

Or how about that
Macbeth is killed by a man that was born with medical intervention?

At some point a spoiler stops being a spoiler and becomes something you really ought to have seen and that it's reasonable to assume you have. Everything is a spoiler if you know nothing but realistically you wouldn't find the act of posting that
Jesus rises from the dead and ascends to Heaven, leaving his disciples to spread the gospel
to be rude or inappropriate, you'd assume anyone that didn't know was odd.

Well by that same token I view Game of Thrones as being in that group. The show is in its' third season and the books have been pushed heavily since the first. George R. R. Martin is not by any means a fast writer so everyone should already know what happens. It's the same as "spoilers" about the Hobbit, I have no problem discussing the Hobbit because realistically there shouldn't be an adult, at least in the UK, that hasn't read it at some point.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
ForumSafari said:
Nouw said:
Would you tag that

Or how about that

Or how about that

At some point a spoiler stops being a spoiler and becomes something you really ought to have seen and that it's reasonable to assume you have. Everything is a spoiler if you know nothing but realistically you wouldn't find the act of posting that
Jesus rises from the dead and ascends to Heaven, leaving his disciples to spread the gospel

Well by that same token I view Game of Thrones as being in that group. The show is in its' third season and the books have been pushed heavily since the first. George R. R. Martin is not by any means a fast writer so everyone should already know what happens. It's the same as "spoilers" about the Hobbit, I have no problem discussing the Hobbit because realistically there shouldn't be an adult, at least in the UK, that hasn't read it at some point.
Thing is you know not everyone has read the books, there is whole new audience into it now because of the tv series that won't necessary read the books, it doesn't air everywhere at the same time and people can't/don't always watch it when it dose. It's also not as much of a icon as star wars is and your unlikely to come across someone currently reading Macbeth. Be a little bit considerate.

People do get annoyed if you post spoilers from the hobbit besides the very obvious ones. Like
Fili, Kili and Thorins death is a spoiler for many

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Aug 14, 2020
Lost in my mind
Country
US
bibblles said:
Much like when Rob Stark was killed (spoilers), I felt very underwhelmed. I keep expecting a huge drawn out scene in front of a crowd with blood and screaming and horror... like when Ned Stark was killed (spoilers). But we keep getting these more restrained and private affairs. And in this case, what felt like a scene from scooby fucking doo, where they try to set up three or four people as 'possible killers' in the area by flicking the camera around like a gerbil on meth. All in all, I think it was one of the more poorly filmed sections in this series. That said given the amazing standards of GOT, it's still miles better than any of it's competition.

So no, I wasn't wowed or amazed or even really relieved by the episode. I just felt like it could have been bigger, like a scene where not just a couple of people are getting closure over his death, but the community getting closure over his death and the end of his reign. Because that's what we needed, closure for the community of fans, because I don't think anyone really watches GOT alone.
Where in the hell is the logic behind putting spoilers after you've said the spoiler?

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
DementedSheep said:
Thing is you know not everyone has read the books, there is whole new audience into it now because of the tv series that won't necessary read the books, it doesn't air everywhere at the same time and people can't/don't always watch it when it dose. It's also not as much of a icon as star wars is and your unlikely to come across someone currently reading Macbeth. Be a little bit considerate.
I am considerate, I don't spoil shit online. What i think is a bit rich is complaining about 'spoilers' that are sold in the millions, in hardback and paperback in every bookshop across the nation for ten years.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
ForumSafari said:
DementedSheep said:
I am considerate, I don't spoil shit online. What i think is a bit rich is complaining about 'spoilers' that are sold in the millions, in hardback and paperback in every bookshop across the nation for ten years.
I don't think that Game of thrones has anywhere near the cultural penetration of Macbeth or Star Wars, a significant portion of the TV audience don't know what's going to happen and I think the story is best experienced that way.

Even with Macbeth and Star Wars I wouldn't spoil it unnecessarily, if you can go into The Empire Strikes Back without knowing the big twist then great (good fucking luck though!)

As far as these forums go it's fair to assume that everyone on here is up to date TV show wise but I wouldn't put in unmarked spoilers for ANYTHING after the Purple Wedding.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
ForumSafari said:
Nouw said:
Would you tag that

Or how about that

Or how about that

I don't think it's fair to compare Game of Thrones to Star Wars or the Bible but that's another discussion. The thing is, it's still unfair to expect everyone to have this pop culture knowledge. Who decides what everyone 'should' know by now? I didn't know about Scrooge or Macbeth, and there are countless other classics I haven't gotten around to yet. 1984, The Great Gatsby, Citizen Kane and etc etc. I genuinely don't believe it's reasonable to assume someone has seen, read or experienced everything you have no matter how popular you may think it is. Having said that, just use discretion which this thread did. It clearly says 'spoilers' in the title.

PsychoticHamster

May 16, 2013
It was satisfying I suppose, but interestingly enough the way Joffrey is portrayed in the books makes him much less likable than the way Jack Gleeson plays him, so I actually found myself feeling a little bad especially since his death is quite violent when you think about it. Joffrey is one of those characters that when you view them in hindsight, you become more sympathetic to him. His "dad" was a drunk asshole that never really liked him and he had an overbearing mother who probably has a mental illness.

Lord Doomhammer

Mar 20, 2021
Country
United States
delta4062 said:
bibblles said:

Where in the hell is the logic behind putting spoilers after you've said the spoiler?
It's sarcasm. This whole fucking thread is spoiler town. If anyone came into this thread not expecting spoilers they are out of their mind (see thread title.