Poll: Western RPGs Vs. JRPGs

ioxles

Nov 25, 2008
Can't you add the poll option "BOTH ARE AWESOME"

I mean, bg2, planescape: torment, disgaea, jade cocoon, chronotrigger, Fo series, Ultima Series, FF series, Might and Magic series, Wizardry 8, Persona Series, Xenogears, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Kotor, Elder Scrolls Series, NWN 1 & 2, Dragon Ball rpg (play the latest one please), Pokemon, Paper Mario, FF tactics War of the Lions, Arcanum, Arx Fatalis, Gothic Series (gothic 4 out soon!), Sacred Gold, Vampire the Masquerade.

And the one to form the union; Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator.

People, come together in Rpg loving. Please, once and for all.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
UrbanOcelot said:
Western RPGs are more original. JRPGs have all the same characters and places. The only JRPGs that have any originality in them are made by Nintendo.
-claps- love the closed minded-ness play Fire Emblem, then play Final Fantasy Tactics and then play Paper Mario and then play Tales of the Abyss and tell me they are the same.

Also Wrpgs are pretty much the same too, always the same characters in the same places Leon said mockingly.

OT: I prefer JRPGs and never really got in to WRPGs so I guess my favorite WRPG would be Elder scrolls IV: Oblivion as it is the only one I have played and actually had a bit of fun in, they really are not my cup of tea

for JRPGs I would say FFVI and Chrono Trigger are my favorite.

CmdrGoob

Oct 5, 2008
Nomanslander said:
Here's a question as for WRPG, was Mass Effect 2 even an RPG anymore?
It has story choices, interactive dialogue with choices, class choices and skill development choices. How on earth is it not an RPG?

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
Western RPG Fave: Oblivion (First one I played, and to me they got it right)

JRPG Fave - Final Fantasy VIII (or IX) either one, one of the two.

My coin toss would be towards JRPG's purely because I grew up with them, and for me the stories are much better told. Sure the character models may have gotten a little Chibi/Emo/Angsty lately but that doesnt detract from the charcters.

My favourite series would have to be Tales of games. Even though Im a massive final fantasy fan, the Tales games just get it right every time.

Although, I would say to anyone out there looking for a good JRPG, try Baten Kaitos (Gamecube)
Fantastic game, weird but excellent battle system and superb story, and not to mention beautiful soundtrack.

As a final note, my housemate hates JRPG's with a passion - thinking they are not 'proper' RPG's. Please don't let ignorance and stereotypes draw you away from games which can be just as fun as western rpg's, if only you give them a try.

JRPG's need a loving home, will you be the one to care for them this holiday?
Please call the JRPG rescue centre now.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Western: Bethesda Game Studios' body of work.
Eastern: I'm just not a fan but confess a nostalgia for Final Fantasy 6.

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
Arisato-kun said:
IdealistCommi said:
And my favorite JRPG is Persona 3. And it is the best game I have ever played
Gotta agree with you about P3 being great. It has the best story of any game I've ever played.

Western: Mass Effect 1 & 2, Fallout 3

JRPG: Persona 4, Persona 3, Tales of the Abyss, Final Fantasy XIII

I'm a JRPG guy myself. I've always felt that story can be presented better in the linearity that JRPGs offer compared to the way WRPGs are presented, with Mass Effect being the exception to this rule. Also, i love the turn-based battle system and, while archaic, I hope it doesn't go away.

JRPGs all the way. Every western RPG I have played has felt more like an MMO with cardboard characters and no coherent story to speak off.

JPRGs: Tales, Shin Megami Tensei, Shadow Hearts, Grandia, Star Ocean, Golden Sun, Tactics Ogre, and the list goes on...

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
We have had this thread hundreds of times. It rarely ends well.
That said, JRPGs are about putting a lot of work into something and seeing it come together perfectly.
WRPGs are about tweaking with the gears and levers until the game is brokenly easy because of your understanding of the system.
JRPGs are for model ship builders, WRPGs are for accountants.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Wow, I was prepared to cast Fire Resistance Aura but the first page seems pretty civil...

I prefer Western, but nothing wrong with Japanese.

Jun 30, 2009
Overall, JRPGs, though only the best ones, a lot of them are garbage with obnoxious colorful teenagers. The ones that look like anime bug the hell outta me, I like old ones and darker ones.

Just some of my favorite JRPGs: Demon's Souls (THE best game ever to me), Chrono Trigger, Pokemon, and Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi

May not be a ton of them but the great JRPGs are the best. They tend to be truer RPGs, WRPGs are often glorified action games with some moral choice element (a la Mass Effect, great game, but much more of a TPS than an RPG) and very basic upgrading. At very least JRPGs include an at least somewhat complex leveling up system, as well as involving tons of strategy in weapon choice and how to handle your upgrades, as well as a moral choice system. Take my favorite game, Demon's Souls, it may be a hack 'n slash rogue game at heart, but the enormous amount of strategy combined with the world/character tendencies total up to a much greater RPG experience than most WRPGS though. It's literally all strategy, you could be the most talented action game player on Earth and it would still be difficult for you to get past one of the later levels if you weren't careful with your upgrades and never thought about what strategically would work best for what you're doing. I find it to have one of the best moral choice systems in gaming as well. While Bioware games like KOTOR and ME tend to give you a conversation in which you can choose the "Nice", "Neutral", or "A**hole" response, which decides everything for you. In Demon's Souls every little thing you do can change your tendency. You can kill any NPCs, which will make your tendency black. Certain kills will make others hostile towards you and then of course there are side missions that can completely alter both world and character tendency.

These are at least the types of things I find constitute a true RPG, not an action game where you're literally given a menu to choose what you want with your goal in mind, you're not even role playing, you're choosing whether you want to be bad, neutral, or good, not doing what feels right or anything. This isn't to bag on Bioware games like Mass Effect and KOTOR. Those are both excellent games, KOTOR being one of my favorite RPGs and Mass Effect a series I plan to start playing very soon with my newly acquired free 360, but I see Mass Effect as pretty much entirely a third-person shooter (based on my rental time), while KOTOR is a bit more of an RPG, having combat more reminiscent of it, but it becomes more like action/turn based strategy (in real time, which makes no sense without context, but I'm sure some will understand what I mean). Great games, but not totally RPGs.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Western RPG:

Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, KotOR, KotOR2, Mass Effect

JRPG:m

I think I've played a few, can't really think of any though. I guess they just didn't really impress me

Koganesaga

Feb 11, 2010
Western: Most of Bioware's work, particularly KotOR, HK-47, best, robot, ever.

Eastern: The Disgaea series, all good, all designed for game life and almost always has something for the player to do, and always very funny.

Eastern Runner up: Monster hunter, it's the only game I know of with 800+ hours of gameplay.

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
Marik2 said:
carpathic said:
Western RPGs. I like my men to look like men, and my women to look like women. I just can't get over the style aesthetic in JRPGs...
Yeah that's my reason for liking Western RPGs there's nothing wrong with a man being a bit feminine, but JRPGs overdue that. Plus in a JRPG when I see a cutscene where the character is doing all these badass moves I'm like "Gee I wish the turn based combat would let me do that".
Turn based combat?

My god, no wonder you don't like JRPGs. Play some Tales games or Star Ocean and get back to me...

In all seriousness, some of the best JRPGs around no longer use a simple turn based system. While some of the "Classic Series" like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are still stuck with them, many other series mix up the formula. Even the ones that still technically use turn based are mixing it up a bit. Shin Megami Tensei uses a modified turn based system (for almost every game since Nocturne) that is far more strategic then normal turn based combat. It also maintains a high difficulty level which when combined with the strategic system prevents combat from becoming boring, even late game (Persona 4 is a prime example).

Citizen.Erased

May 19, 2009
Wrpg: BIOWARE! and the fallout series.

Jrpg: Pretty much only the Persona games. And Final Fantasy XII.

I really like turn-based combat, but most stuff in jrpg really piss me off so I tend to avoid them. A shame really, I'd probably play them otherwise.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Sakurazaki1023 said:
Marik2 said:
carpathic said:
Western RPGs. I like my men to look like men, and my women to look like women. I just can't get over the style aesthetic in JRPGs...
Yeah that's my reason for liking Western RPGs there's nothing wrong with a man being a bit feminine, but JRPGs overdue that. Plus in a JRPG when I see a cutscene where the character is doing all these badass moves I'm like "Gee I wish the turn based combat would let me do that".
Turn based combat?

My god, no wonder you don't like JRPGs. Play some Tales games or Star Ocean and get back to me...

In all seriousness, some of the best JRPGs around no longer use a simple turn based system. While some of the "Classic Series" like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are still stuck with them, many other series mix up the formula. Even the ones that still technically use turn based are mixing it up a bit. Shin Megami Tensei uses a modified turn based system (for almost every game since Nocturne) that is far more strategic then normal turn based combat. It also maintains a high difficulty level which when combined with the strategic system prevents combat from becoming boring, even late game (Persona 4 is a prime example).
Trust me I sorta played Tales of Vesperia and seen Star Ocean for the 360 I don't like them cuz of the annoying characters and bad voice acting.

jimtheviking

Sep 23, 2009
I much prefer JRPG and JRPG-style Western RPGs (e.g: Fallout 1&2, the majority of Bioware games) to the sandboxy RPGs that typify WRPGs (Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3, &c.). I also tend to play the game for the story and characters rather than anything else, so that could explain my preference for linear style of JRPG and JRPG-esque games.

Also, my favourite WRPG is Morrowwind, whereas my favourite JRPG is Final Fantasy VI

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Douk said:
Put an option for "Like them both" because I have favorite RPGs on both sides of the spectrum and don't prefer one over the other.
I haven't made many threads. How do you edit a both option?

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
Western: Morrowind, Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment

Eastern: Chrono Trigger, Paper Mario, Final Fantasy (up to X-2 and excluding most of the VII compilation).

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
I like both the same pretty much

Wrpg: Morrowind, Gothic(1 and 2), Dragon age, KOTOR(Both), Fallout 3, Arcanum, Diablo 2, plenty more

Jrpg: Final Fantasy(10, 13, 9, 6), Lost Odyssey, Project .Hack, Kingdom Hearts.