Poll: What Anime should I watch next?

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Midori No Hibi was one of my favorite classic slice of life/comedy romance titles. It's certainly a feel good show with a weird twist that the story uses quite well. There isn't much fighting in the anime, after the... switch... he pretty much loses his ability to fight.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I'm going off menu and recommend Myself; Yourself. I really enjoyed both the light humour and the darker parts.

Also Welcome To The NHK (I am always ninjaed to this one so it's got to be good), maybe my favourite anime of all time.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
From the choices, I picked Haruhi, because I enjoyed the first season, outside of the first episode, and it's the only one on this list I've actually seen. If you are looking for a weird show, then I second the suggestion of Shaft anime. They've almost exclusively made widget series ever since "Pani Poni Dash," although I don't know which one would fit your tastes. Of course, if you ever just want to laugh at something stupid, then there is always "Nichijou/My Ordinary Life."

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Yeah, I get that... Doesn't make her character any less annoying though.

And beyond that the characters are rusted shut within their stereotype. Kyon always complains, but does nothing. Mikuru always "kyaa"s, but does nothing. Koizumi always acts calm, but does nothing. Yuki always does nothing period.

Disappearance was interesting for the most part, because shit actually happened. Kyon finally had some dimension to him, and there was a sense things were actually progressing and characters were growing. But then it ends with the status quo like every show-based anime movie, and everything that occured might as well not have happened at all.
Well yeah, Koizumi, Yuki and Mikuru are suppose to be stereotypes, as I said eailer, so your observations are hardly surprising. Kyon is the interesting one though, and it probably has a lot to do with his age and nationality. He's in high school, so he's trying to move beyond childish ideas (as he says at the start of the series) and when confronted with someone who still believes in supernatural things, he reaction is to act cool, since he doesn't believe in childish things like that. He's also Japanese, which is why he complains about Haruhi's behavior to himself but doesn't do anything, since not upsetting people and not saying what you're really thinking is part of Japanese culture (making Haruhi even more obnoxious to him, since she ignores all of that).

The movie took place in an alternate timeline (and I don't mean that in the super hero comic book making excuses way), so naturally these events are erased at the end, though it was interesting to see what these character would be like under different circumstances and how they would be the same (i.e the point of the film ;))

triggrhappy94 said:
Also, for future reference, I suggest quoting someone to get their attention--most people get a message when they're quoted, so they don't have to hang around threads to see if anyone is try to talk to them.
I know that, but at the time I wrote it, I was replaying directly after his post, and I think it's silly to quote a post that comes directly before yours.

KoudelkaMorgan said:
I picked Princess Jellyfish, because it sounds adorable.
It's not what you're thinking. It's about an apartment of super nerdy girls, one of whom really likes jellyfish.

silentNate

Apr 1, 2013
Though I liked Princess Jellyfish I hated the ending. As other people are 'ordering off menu' I'd say scrap those and watch the gloriously hilarious Ben To, the funniest anime I have seen after Nichijou ;)

If you want to stick with the list then go with Midori No Hibi (Midori Days) or just anything to avoid... the Endless Eight!!

Jul 5, 2009
Damn, stop voting Melancholy people, it's awful! I mean, can you really say it's good seeing as Endless Eight exists. I mean, come on.

Also Haruhi is a complete ***** but mostly Endless Eight.

OT: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, like that guy who reccomended Shaft up there, I'm reccomending them too, and this is a great one by them.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is pretty good.

Just skip the 'endless 8'.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I think I may had quoted you or someone else already about Polar Bear Cafe.

To sum it up, It's a relaxing (especially if you watched it after work) anime to watch (and comedy slice of life as the OP stated). Bare in mind that the main comedy aspect is Japanese pun but that didn't get in the way from me enjoying the show.

I also find it a relaxing change (yes I don't watched alot of slice of life anime before you asked) that the overall setting is pleasant and it is no way in peril like some evil overlord is trying to take over world, no killers or monsters roam the street or anything that put them in grave danger.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Watch Saint young men if you can find it... then tell me where you watched it.

In the mean time you should watch Death note. That series will put hairs on your legs after all the big eyed Uguu stuff you've been watching.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
I picked Polar Bear Café. Never watched it. But the name sounds intriguing. Well OP, I hope you enjoy whatever anime you end up picking.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Darker. Than. Black. Without a doubt, its good.

Also try and get hold of Soul Eater, Angel Beats, Madoka Magica or Nichijou. All very very good animes and ones that I've watched at least 3 times this year.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
You mean the five episodes of actual plot interspliced with filler in random order just for the heck of it? The first time I watched it I saw it chronologically, and I didn't notice anything strange that indicated I should've watched it in a different order. Except for the fact that when the actual plot ended the rest of the show consisted of inconsequential faffing about.

But I fucking hate Haruhi as it is anyway. I don't know if you've ever heard of the British sitcom Keeping Up Appearances, but it's basically that in anime form and set in high school- Everyone dancing to the tune of this one annoying character, instead of slapping her across the face. Great production values though.
I agree. I heard it was loved in practically every country and had a freaking religion based on it so naturally thought it would be good. It was pretty "meh" to me. Practically nothing happens in it. I don't watch a lot of British comedies but the show reminds me of Scooby Doo in the sense that they do things, but never advance an overarching plot. And I it watched via streaming, one episode a day, so when I got to infamous "endless 8" I kept expecting to end every single episode so I didn't skip any of them.

It had its moments, but nothing really stuck with me. Though in a hilarious twist of irony, in a show where the cast includes a time traveler, an alien, a psychic, and fucking GOD; I found Kyon to be the most interesting and mysterious character if only because we never find out his real name and his little sister is simply "Kyon's little sister". Maybe I'll watch the movie since that seems to be good too

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
I'm a noob. I've only watched a few (Elfen Lied being the best.) I can't get into Blood+ on a consistent basis. It's okay but the beginning of the show was really intriguing and it has been kind of whatever since.

Jan 3, 2009
Of those anime mentioned in the poll, I have only seen Midori Days, but enjoyed it. I also loved Ika Musume. Based on the OP's preference for slice of life with weird elements, try Seto no Hanayome (My Bride is a Mermaid) or Kyaoran Kazoku Nikki.

Also, gonna have to also give a special shoutout to Clannad and Clannad: After Story. Everyone, go watch them. Starts kinda slow, but ALL THE FEELS! I personally didn't enjoy the ending of After Story (too deus ex machina), but everything up to that point is exquisite. Hmm, have to go watch it again...

You may also enjoy:
Yakitate! Japan, K-ON!, Bakemonogatari, Eden of the East, I My Me! Strawberry Eggs, and Tiger and Bunny.

Good luck finding something fun to watch!

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I suggest The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, mostly because it's the only one out of those choices that I've actually seen, let alone heard of. Just be sure to skip episodes, I believe, 2-8 of season two. Trust me, you wont miss a damn thing by skipping them.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
Go watch Another, or Chunibyou. Both have girls with eyepatches but one is a supernatural mystery the other is about awkward highschool phases people go through. Both are only 12 episodes too! So you get two great anime in half the time of a regular series.
Also, to hell with Haruhi. I have a special loathing for self centred characters like that of her and Ciel Phantomhive wherein if they were actual people you'd say "I'm out". EDIT: To reference my avatar, go look into Welcome To The NHK. It's about a shut in who goes through a journey to reacquaint himself with the outside world.