Poll: What Anime should I watch next?

silentNate

Apr 1, 2013
Anatoli Ossai said:
Shingeki no Kyojin - Attack on Titan
Best anime currently showing... the OP wants a 'slice of life' comedy though... not Titan's eating your mom ;) :D

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Anoni Mus said:
FireAza said:
Anoni Mus said:
mitchell271 said:
Ouran Host Club! Go watch Ouran Host Club! It's in my top 5 for a reason.
Ew, that's for girls.
And...? It's really funny, and good humor knows no gender!
corretion, it's for teenage girls.

If it was Josei like Nana it would be another thing.
Again, who cares who it's "for"? If it's good it's good. Even if you don't like the conventions of shoujo anime, all the more reason to watch Ouran High since the premise of that show is built around mocking how dumb these conventions are.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei!

It's a black comedy by none other than SHAFT, masters of post-modernism and genre subversion.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
[Kira Must Die said:
]
Dirty Hipsters said:
FireAza said:
Haruhi is a great, clever show, so that would be my first recommendation, but Princess Jellyfish is also very good, so make sure you don't forget about it! I wouldn't worry too much about the "stylish" elements, since the show is about a group of nerds, fashionable people are like terrifying monsters to them :p
Yes yes, Haruhi is all great until that fucking summer arc. God how I loath it.
It baffles me when I see people still hate on Endless Eight nowadays. I mean, you guys do realize you can skip it now, right? Also, The Disappearance more than makes up for it.

OT: I'd say watch Haruhi first. Regardless of how you feel about it in the end, it's one of those animes that almost every self-proclaimed anime fan has to see.
Yeah, you can skip it NOW. I watched it weekly when it was coming out, so I basically had to skip 2 months of Haruhi because of that shit. That's why I still hate it.

Besides, there's no way you can say that any part of endless 8 is actually good.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I think Haruhi's worth "suffering" through in order to get the context for the amazing movie. It's also not a bad show in it's own right I guess.

Princess Jellyfish is also really good. It's definitely unique in how it handles female protagonists (especially appearance wise).

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
[Kira Must Die said:
]
Dirty Hipsters said:
FireAza said:
Haruhi is a great, clever show, so that would be my first recommendation, but Princess Jellyfish is also very good, so make sure you don't forget about it! I wouldn't worry too much about the "stylish" elements, since the show is about a group of nerds, fashionable people are like terrifying monsters to them :p
Yes yes, Haruhi is all great until that fucking summer arc. God how I loath it.
It baffles me when I see people still hate on Endless Eight nowadays. I mean, you guys do realize you can skip it now, right? Also, The Disappearance more than makes up for it.

OT: I'd say watch Haruhi first. Regardless of how you feel about it in the end, it's one of those animes that almost every self-proclaimed anime fan has to see.
Yeah, you can skip it NOW. I watched it weekly when it was coming out, so I basically had to skip 2 months of Haruhi because of that shit. That's why I still hate it.

Besides, there's no way you can say that any part of endless 8 is actually good.
Yeah, exactly, you can skip it now. That's not the case anymore, at least for newer viewers. I'm sorry you had to sit through that when it first aired (I just waited for the dub : P), and I get why you hate it, but whatever.

I don't know, I'm indifferent to the whole thing. Yes, it's a tedious sit-through, but I get the idea behind it, and that it's suppose to be tedious. It's not good, but I can't really get angry at it, and I can't put down the entire series for it, and like I said The Disappearance I thought more than made up for it.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Anatoli Ossai said:
Shingeki no Kyojin - Attack on Titan
OP asks for a slice of life anime, and you say Attack on Titan.

What the fuck kind of life are you living?

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
StormShaun said:
I haven't watched it but Ouran Host Club! doesn't look that great really.
Ouran Host Club is about a girl that has to pose as a guy in a host club and the antics they get into. While there may be a huge amount of pink and roses, it's extremely entertaining and one of the most entertaining things I've seen in the world of anime. It may start off looking like an obnoxiously girly shoujo, it's actually made for guys and is a fantastic slice-of-life comedy.

Still, it's all up to you! That's what's great about anime: you can watch whatever you want!

krugerrand123

Apr 6, 2010
I watched squid girl and polar bear cafe at the same time, and I found them to both be very similar. Polar bear cafe is also a very funny comedy which tends to have various moods mixed in, like sadness. I felt it also had a diverse selection of characters just like squid girl. I know I can't describe it all that well, but I did feel the two shows were very similar.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
...Is not an anime.

Wait, aren't you the guy who specifically asked for non-anime suggestions? You trolling dude?

On the subject of Ouran High, don't be put off by it's seemingly "girly" appearance. Since the show is a parody of shoujo anime (specifically the "reverse haram"), it needs that groundwork. The core of the show is is the over-the-top antics of the super-wealthy pretty boy characters and how Haruhi deals with them (usually with contempt "rich bastards.") and how ridiculous the plot of shoujo anime is.

ComandaKool

Jun 5, 2011
If you haven't already, I highly recommend that you watch FLCL. Sure it's only got 6 episodes and it's weird as all hell but gods dammit that's exactly why you should watch it.

I doubt you will be good enough for Haruko San.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
FireAza said:
Casual Shinji said:
But I fucking hate Haruhi as it is anyway. I don't know if you've ever heard of the British sitcom Keeping Up Appearances, but it's basically that in anime form and set in high school- Everyone dancing to the tune of this one annoying character, instead of slapping her across the face. Great production values though.[/img]
There's a reason they don't do that: she's mother fuckin' GOD. She's come close to erasing the universe as we know it for far lesser things, let alone having one of her friends hit her. Despite that, there was a big moment in the series where Kyon came very close to punching her for going too far, and had to summon all his willpower to not do it, since having the universe erased just wouldn't be worth it.

Seriously dude, I think you're underselling The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, it's far cleverer than you think. There are cliches and stereotypes, but that's because the series likes to play with these ideas, such as implying that both Koizumi and Mikuru may never have existed and were brought into existence by Haruhi's desire for a "mysterious transfer student" and a "moe loli girl" brought about by her exposure to these stereotypes in the pop-culture she watches.
So that's the reason nobody knocked the shit outta her for being such a fucking loon? she's basically that little kid from that twilight zone episode? wtf?

OT: I dunno if it qualifies for slice of life status but Chobits is pretty good, and probably the only suggestion out of my library that comes close to qualifying

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
*obligatory Spice & Wolf recommendation*

No seriously, go watch Spice & Wolf. It's a beautifully made work of fantasy that focuses on economics, trading, and the dynamics between the main characters rather than sword and sorcery. Both the Japanese audio and the English dub versions are good, and it's a really well told story.

Failing that, El-Hazard: The Magnificent World. And here is all you need to know about El:Hazard - Wizard of Oz meets Arabian Nights.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
The only one on your list I've seen is Haruhi Suzumiya, and while I did not find it particularly excellent I do have a lot of respect for it. Also, the movie.

As at least one person already, pretty much anything by Shaft fits the bill of "weird and hard to explain". I haven't seen much by them (in particular, I haven't seen Zetsubou Sensei), and I have a feeling I don't like much of what they make besides Madoka Magica (which, um...isn't what you're looking for) and the Monogatari series (which is exactly what you're looking for, probably).