Poll: What are your hopes for the Nextbox?

SweetLiquidSnake

Jan 20, 2011
My gamerscore better transfer over, and yes backwards compatibility better be there, since I don't want to have to keep 2 systems or re-buy discs. I'm sure the selling price for a 360 will drop dramatically once the next console pops up so good luck getting rid of your xbox anyways.

Exclusives are a bad idea, because if I buy a next gen xbox and Fallout 4 is a PS4 exclusive I will shit bricks.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Drop the fucking monthly fee for XBLA.
No always-online DRM
No "no-used games" DRM

The latter two are serious dealbreakers for me. That goes on there and I'm so gone.

Some stuff I want but I'm not holding my breath for.

No Region Protection, because seriously I want to play Persona 4 Arena already for fuck's sake.
Backwards Compatibility because it's convenient for me but incredibly useful to new adopters of a given system.

PS4 already failed the backwards compatibility test which scared me off because I don't own a PS3 and not being able to partake in the few exclusives the PS3 had basically killed a major selling point of jumping ship to a Sony console.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It will do better than the PS4 and Wii U purely because apart from PC gaming, it's the go-to platform for online gaming. The vast majority of triple A games have multiplayer, and most of those are played on the Xbox.

Simply because of that, I think it will do well.

As for the reception from people who care about games more than grabbing the next COD, I think it will depend on individual features.

For me I would need either no advertisements or no Xbox Live fee to even consider getting one. After that it'd be down to exclusives and pricing. The exclusives would need to be more impressive than Gears of War or Halo as well considering the complete lack of imagination the developers of those have been showing recently.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
That people who pony up the money for it don't have a bricked console in a week? That they actually hire professionals to design the board instead of winging it? They actually invest in cooling for their processor?

That everyone enjoys the console they buy! :D

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
skywolfblue said:
Hopes:
-No monthly fee for xbox live
-No always-online DRM
-No anti-used game DRM

But my actual expectations for it are more along the lines of "The most evil console ever".
Pretty much agree. And if they keep on with their trend of having almost no good exclusives, I'm sad to say that there will be no good reason to buy it.

As far as who wins, for me, that's all based on the quality of exclusives. For that reason, I'm saying PS4 wins but by a small margin.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
- Ditch the monthly fee and/or the ads they should have one or the other , both is a piss take.
- Better ports for the PC , shouldn't be too difficult since they (and the PS4) will be X86 based)
- Ditching GFWL and having a new version which allows Xbox exclusives on PC (call them Microsoft exclusives )
- Blu ray , seriously DVDs are no use nowadays with games like Max Payne 3 being 20GB and upwards
- Less shitty hardware , the RROD and other the problems should not of happened.

Just to name a few.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
My expectations are that it's going to be really similar to the PS4 but charging for online and with someone backwards compatibility and that the two are going to be tied together in terms of sales.

I can't see either one doing something that would make them win out. They've both got a huge install base, MS' might be slightly more loyal because they were doing friends networks online better first. I prefer Sony's exclusives but MS' drive sales better and with the wealth of multiplatform games it's not actually going to matter.

It will be a coin toss. MS will dominate in North America and the UK, Sony will dominate in Japan and the rest of Europe. I'm not sure which company has got a better grasp of the rest of the markets because thats how it's always been and brand loyalty will be the deciding factor as long as there isn't a huge price difference

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Aris Khandr said:
I hope that everyone who calls it the "XBox 720" gets bludgeoned with an original XBox controller. That name is stupid, stop using it.
It's shorthand

aaaanyway, I hope the Xbox 720/Nextbox/Xbox 361 no longer charges for it basic online features, which was utter bullcrap this generation.

I also hope they bring the fire with some good exclusives when they announce it, or I'll likely not be getting one for a long time, if at all. I barely got any use out of my 360 after a couple of Halo games and the massive disappointment of 2 crappy Fable sequels. Truly a tragedy for my wallet.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
As long as it has the same quality Xbox Live it will win in my mind.Other than that though, its hard to say.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
It's really too soon to tell. I'd love to be able to play multiplayer on Xbox LIVE without paying for it, I'd love to not have to scrap all my old 360 games if I decide to upgrade and I'd especially love for the things to actually work when they launch. These are all things console manufacturers don't seem to care about and probably won't add, but any other features they throw in (which I'm sure will be fine and dandy) are just going to be window dressing to me.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
With all due respect to hardcore console gamers, I think this generation alienated many of their user base in this generation with online passes, DLC, etc. Further focus on social connectivity (which most people don't get a console for, as I understand it), in addition to the general anti-used games approach, combined with the rise of digital distribution, alienates the majority of the console users - who just want to buy a disc, insert, and play.

My vote: PC all the way!

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
For me to be interested, they need a wider variety of exclusives. I don't care about Halo, I don't care about Gears, so I never cared about the 360. It was always between PS3 or no console at all for me (still no console so far.) Honestly, they owe a lot of their success just to how ridic expensive the PS3 was the first few years.

So yeah, they'd need some interesting exclusives for me to give a shit about the 365+1/4.

Edit: Also the whole XBLIG/XBLA system is so byzantine and unwieldy that Microsoft should be thanking their stars that their competition in the console indie space are the autocratic control freaks at Nintendo and the backwards, befuddled screw-ups at Sony.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Too early to call it as we do not even know any details, Sony got off to a slow start this generation and let Microsoft get ahead. Sony will have learned from their mistakes and Microsoft will have to step up their game if they do not want lose out badly this generation. I think there is enough room for consoles by both manufacturers, obviously one is going to be ultimately more profitable but both could share the market with Nintendo. In fact I hope both do find room because the competition is good for us, if ever there was a monopoly it would be terrible for us gamers.

Microsoft and Sony can be damn lazy and exploitative and take any and every opportunity to screw us and our wallets, as long as both of them are around they have to behave themselves to an extent out of fear of losing to much to the competition. The rumored anti used games feature does not bother me as much as other gamers, I understand why people have a problem with it and I am not dismissive of that. It just doesn't bother me much because I do not buy many console games and usually pick them up new and cheaply from online retailers after they have been out a few months and I do not trade them in.

In terms of the "Durango" itself I would like to see a better UI to begin with because the current 360 dashboard is horrible, to many adds and its to slow and nothing seems in the right place. It is to much to hope for but I would like to see non propitiatory hard drives, Microsofts Xbox drives are overpriced and cost to much per GB and considering how digital distribution is becoming more and more important and games are going to get larger in terms of data size this is going to be important. The PS3 uses standard 2.5" SATA drives and its great when you want to upgrade it, this means you can use a huge selection of standard HDDs or even fit a SSD. I would like to see more USB ports and have them more accessible, the ones on the rear of the super slim 360 are very difficult to use. Only leads and devices the exact width of the USB connector fit. Built in connectivity for wireless headsets would also be nice and other dedicated ports for audio in general, no need for transmitters/USB dongles and things for wireless headsets. Stereo outputs and a mic input for wired headphones/headset would be better, the current super slim only has an optical output and if you use a wired headset you end up with a spaghetti string of wires plugged into AV output lead (which you dont need when using a HDMI) and into the controller. I don't know why neither MS or Sony have built in bluetooth the same for headsets as they do for the controllers.

Service wise Microsoft needs to hang their heads in shame over Xbox Live, not only do Sony offer networked multiplayer for free they have a far superior subscription service thats slightly cheaper. With XBox live gold all you get is the ability to play multiplayer and thats it, you do not even get less adds splattered all over the dashboard or anything. Playstation plus gets you discounts on stuff from all PSN platforms including iOS & Android games, you also get to download full games to play for free. Not any old crap either, stuff thats only been out a few months and big titles like Little Big Planet 2 and Wipeout 2048. You get to play them as long as your subscription is active and the subscription is tied to the account not a device this means you can go and buy a PS3 and a PS Vita, pay once for a 12 month PS+ sub and never have to buy any games for either and play the instant game collection.

I will not be buying either a PS4 or a nextbox early in the generation though, I will wait for the cost to come down and the library of games to grow. Until then the money I might have spent on the consoles and all those extra £10-15s the console games cost will go into my PC budget instead.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I have no trust in MS any more. I guess PC gaming either enlightened me or cursed me, but I can't go play on a console now. :-(

There's also the fact that I hate the prices on Windows, Office, and pretty much everything "industry-grade" they put out. Now tell me why making flat webpage squares is a good idea again, because that's the only thing I can do with the free version. Why not pay you ask? Click this and be enlightened [http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/Visual-Studio-2012-Professional/productID.252319300?Icid=DevCat_Rotating_1_VSPro_PID_252319300_2_8_13].

Since I'm a Linux user AND an aspiring developer, I've got wayyy more problems with them than simple gaming issues.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Hopes for the nextbox:-

.Decent hardware build
.No DRM
.No always online
.No charge for playing online
.Less clutter of advertisements on my damn page
.Abolishment of achievements or at least let me turn them off
.Less focus on Kinect

My expectations however are the exact opposite to this I really dont have much faith in Microsoft as a company.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I already lost all hope when I heard it was coming pre-packaged with Kinect.

The fact that they'll probably still charge for online play while still shoving ads down your throat is just the icing on the cake.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
I won't be getting anything until I hear more about what games will be available for each console, that'll be the decider for me. I really can't see MS dropping the subscription fees for Live but they'll definitely need to do more to justify it over the free services Sony and Nintendo offer.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I just hope the damn thing works my xbox has so much trouble connecting to xboxlive its sickening, that I paid around £200 for it. I pray micro-shit will actually make their next console with quality materials. A price boost wouldn't bother me too much, so long as it works well.