Poll: What browser do you use?

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I'm not generally "in-the-know" about computers or the "best" programs to use for them despite how much time I spend on mine. For a long time I used IE just because it was the default. Then I used firefox because it had tabs and other neat features. Then firefox started screwing up a lot, so I switched to Chrome and have never had a problem since. I always thought Chrome was generally as good as it got, but lately I've seen some internet folks murmuring that "chrome sucks" and "netscape navigator is so much better." I've never even heard of it until now, and I don't even get why people think chrome sucks.

So that got me thinking, what's really the most popular browser? What works best? Am I surfing the web as well as I could be? Hmmm.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Firefox for general browsing.

IE for things that don't work on Firefox or cause it to crash (Google Maps for example, won't work on Firefox for me).

Google Chrome for things involving money, in that I'm told it might be safer to use a different browser for that to the one I use for looking up random weird stuff. Dunno how true this is, but couldn't hurt...

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I think it's all down to personal preference in the end. I use Chrome, but I've used Firefox in the past and even have it installed just in case.

It's mostly because all my bookmarks are now in Chrome, and I'd rather not have to set them all again.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Firefox is my go to browser however I might have to start using Chrome for Youtube if this nonsense continues.

I do have Chrome installed but I've always preferred Mozilla's package.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Most of the time I'm on my iPad nowadays actually, so technically safari, but officially it's Firefox.

It's good as far as these things go. It doesn't mess up too much, has several useful add-ons, and it has a neat name *shrugs*

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Google Chrome. I used to use Firefox, but I abandoned that when I learned how fast and simple Chrome is in comparison.

Spanglish Guy

Sep 8, 2014
Firefox is my main browser of choice where I do most of my internet things. I use Chrome as my back up if Firefox ever plays up.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Chrome exclusively. I have IE installed because I cannot uninstall it and the last time I tried Firefox it made my computer run so slowly I had to uninstall it. I've been meaning to try it again since my current computer sucks a lot less than my last one but haven't made the time to try it out.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Chrome. I used to have FireFox, but then YouTube started acting funny and I got tired of having to install shitty little plugins for every little thing.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Definitely Chrome. I also have Firefox as a backup, and Safari is still on my computer considering I'm not about to take the five seconds it would require to remove it.

To some extent, the reason I went to Chrome was because of numerous problems I was having with Firefox, which was crashing about 2/3 of the times I tried to use it. Because I wasn't about to use Safari, I decided to give Chrome another shot. I hadn't used it since its release, but I was certainly surprised by how much it improved when I came back to it. In the end, despite Firefox getting fixed, I found that Chrome was a more enjoyable experience and had trouble making the transition back to Firefox.

Every once in a while, though, I still have to use Firefox because there are still some webpages out there that don't support Chrome. One of them happens to be the application page for housing at my university.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Firefox primary for general browsing and web development/debugging. Chrome secondary when needing to double-check stuff works fine cross-platform or when I need to do something separate to FF or just for browsing occasionally and sometimes for debugging (Knockoutjs context debugger isn't available on FF). And I also use several different versions of IE

IE8 - at work, as support is needed.
IE - to download Firefox and maybe Chrome
IE - when I launch it by mistake; when I want to see if a web page actually looks better on IE rather than other browsers; occasionally to verify something works in it as well.

Gibbatron

Sep 16, 2011
Was primarily Firefox Nightly but lately I have been having some problems with it, especially displaying the escapist and occasionally youtube and I don't know if it's the browser or some addons causing the problems.

So I have currently switched back to chrome and have just discovered that it now supports 60fps youtube vids and has support for HTML5 1080p without having to enable a beta feature. These things may be enough to tempt me to stay.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I use Google Chrome, because it works better right now than Firefox or Internet Explorer ever did. It also has all sorts of neat little plugins, including
Code:
[REDACTED]
Code:
[DATA EXPUNGED]
and let's not forget my favourite,
Code:
[RETRACTED BY ORDER OF THE VATICAN]

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Chrome fails with google maps and Office 365 admin, so no.

Firefox hasn't messed me about recently, apart from the unsurprising issue of youtubes new features working in chrome and not other browsers.

IE11 is actually pretty damn good these days.

Opera is what I'm typing this into, and that seems to work well.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I used Firefox for the longest of times, but a flash update ruined it. Trying to get YouTube videos to play was annoying as hell and I had to deal with frequent flash crashes. I switched to Chrome and haven't looked back. No problems with flash and a very smooth experience so far. An update did botch my resolution, but a quick Google search fixed that.

Cidward

Jul 7, 2014
Firefox. I don't have the issues with Youtube that others seem to have encountered. I've tried Chrome and I use it on occasion, but I prefer Firefox.

IE does seem to have gotten a good deal better over the last several years. It was so toxic for such a long time that I can't imagine going back to it, but it does seem to immeasurably improved.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I have been using Chrome for a couple of years now, i switched from Firefox because it couldn't handle 10~ open tabs and crashed frequently, now i won't even bother to try using anything else since sharing browser info between my pc, laptop and my android devices is way too convenient. One thing that annoys me about chrome is that it refuses to play audio from more than two speakers, i could probably find a fix for that on google, but i'm lazy.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
I went on a browser testing spree maybe 7 years ago, and occasionally read reviews and such. I use Chrome because it is cleaner, faster, and uses fewer resources. I do know that firefox is way better for customization and such, with all the plugin-type things you can stick in it, but I keep my browser barebones.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Sadly FF got bloated over the years so it's not the best choice performance wise, but it remains infinitely adjustable which is something I am very fond of.

The others are proprietary stuff, they adjust to the point they allow you to and no more.

zhoominator

Jan 30, 2010
I actually use a number of different ones. Although at the moment I tend to use Chrome on my desktop computer and Opera on my laptop. I do keep Firefox as a secondary browser on both, though.

I've never even heard of Netscape Navigator before...