Poll: What browser do you use?

Oct 2, 2012
I used to be a Chrome man but its design really bothered after some updates about a half year ago and I was having lots of trouble with youtube videos so I switched to Opera.
I'm not too happy with some design choices but its a nice little browser and doesn't give me any trouble.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Blow_Pop said:
despite having adblock enabled on it, it's failing to block stupid ads.
Since AdBlock works on a blacklist basis, it's only as good as the list you have. You can also add rules yourself, for anything you think is lacking.

TheArcaneThinker said:
Smooth Operator said:
Sadly FF got bloated over the years so it's not the best choice performance wise
Its not bloated . Just remove the toolbars and menus you don't need . I right now have nothing more than the menu bar and some tabs BTW you can press F11 to give your browser a better view .
1. F11 is a standard key for maximising most software. Well, anything that supports it, really - all other browsers for sure, as well as PDF viewers and so on.
2. Firefox is a performance hog. It has historically had issues with memory usage and even with improvements seems to still be under-performing in that department. Memory leaks have plauged it to this day and seems that the garbage collection is something that can be improved on a lot. It's easy to test, even - if you have it open and you've used it for sufficient time for it to use a lot of memory (good number seems to be, say, 800 or more), going to about:memory and running cleanup doesn't free up as much memory as it could. Observing what happens there, it seems that sometimes FF holds on to some data for a given domain, as long as you have at least one tab open, even if the data is not relevant for that tab. I've seen it sometimes hold on to some data even after a tab has been closed, too.

In fact, I just found a neat trick - if you go to about:memory and just keep repeatedly hitting "Measure", the tab never lets go of the memory. Well, until you stop, that is, but you can rack up 400 meg in just several clicks. And a system monitor would show you a memory and CPU usage spike. This certainly seems to agree with my occasional observations - most of the domains I've seen rack up a lot of allocated memory also tend to be chatty making liberal use of AJAX calls, so perhaps the constant traffic to the page prevents GC from running on its space. It's not exclusively the reason, though - sometimes merely a heartbeat seems to keep the memory there. And I've definitely seen it sometimes not even cleaning up properly even after the tab was closed. Heck, it's even easy to replicate - 1. wait for FF to build up a lot of RAM usage 2. close all tabs but one 3. see how memory does not drop to the levels it was when FF was first opened.

OK, all the testing I've done is with some addons and customisation on, but nothing leads me to believe a vanilla FF is going to be faultless. Perhaps it would take longer to build up memory but the issues are present, as evidenced by the fact that FF has always been notorious for its resource usage.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Rob Robson said:
Negative, Opera had it's own engine up until 12.16, and the versions after that actually adopted Google's webkit source, Chromium.
Yeah I should've said Blink. All Blink browsers still use Webkit as the UA which confused me.

Blink is also technically a fork of Webkit's WebCore component still so it's not completely wrong to refer to it like that, right? ;-)

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
gnihton said:
TheArcaneThinker said:
Firefox is the best because it is much stabler than chrome and others . Chrome cant handle 20 tabs , it slows down and crashes while Firefox can and is also highly customizable .
I think you're confusing personal preference for fact.

To make matters worse, I remember seeing benchmarks which demonstrated that Chrome is more efficient than Firefox, plus I personally consider the UI of Chrome much better from my brief encounters with FF.

"Chrome can't handle 20 tabs" shows your bias. I regularly have massive amounts of tabs open, just a day or two ago I had 15+ tabs open on two separate windows (likely over 20) plus 5 or 6 on a third for reasons that escape me now, I think one was work, one was play, and the other was so I could play a Town Of Salem with my friends on a second monitor (which is quite an intensive browser game).

I bet if I did the same with Firefox it would either start to have slowdown/other issues in program or eat my PC's resources. I can do ridiculous things like that in Chrome with no performance impact whatsoever, I was even running the Evolve Alpha in borderless over it at the time.

Tl;dr for the OP: I think Chrome is generally considered the best browser, and quite fairly so.
Well i am sorry if i sounded biased . I said that chrome couldnt handle more than 20 tabs is because , it slows down and crashes for ME . This might be a issue due to some bugs or something similar . I tried to fix this many times using various methods but couldnt find the solution , so i came to the conclusion that it was not able to handle more than 20 tabs .

AFter said:
Blow_Pop said:
despite having adblock enabled on it, it's failing to block stupid ads.
Since AdBlock works on a blacklist basis, it's only as good as the list you have. You can also add rules yourself, for anything you think is lacking.

TheArcaneThinker said:
Smooth Operator said:
Sadly FF got bloated over the years so it's not the best choice performance wise
Its not bloated . Just remove the toolbars and menus you don't need . I right now have nothing more than the menu bar and some tabs BTW you can press F11 to give your browser a better view .
1. F11 is a standard key for maximising most software. Well, anything that supports it, really - all other browsers for sure, as well as PDF viewers and so on.
2. Firefox is a performance hog. It has historically had issues with memory usage and even with improvements seems to still be under-performing in that department. Memory leaks have plauged it to this day and seems that the garbage collection is something that can be improved on a lot. It's easy to test, even - if you have it open and you've used it for sufficient time for it to use a lot of memory (good number seems to be, say, 800 or more), going to about:memory and running cleanup doesn't free up as much memory as it could. Observing what happens there, it seems that sometimes FF holds on to some data for a given domain, as long as you have at least one tab open, even if the data is not relevant for that tab. I've seen it sometimes hold on to some data even after a tab has been closed, too.

In fact, I just found a neat trick - if you go to about:memory and just keep repeatedly hitting "Measure", the tab never lets go of the memory. Well, until you stop, that is, but you can rack up 400 meg in just several clicks. And a system monitor would show you a memory and CPU usage spike. This certainly seems to agree with my occasional observations - most of the domains I've seen rack up a lot of allocated memory also tend to be chatty making liberal use of AJAX calls, so perhaps the constant traffic to the page prevents GC from running on its space. It's not exclusively the reason, though - sometimes merely a heartbeat seems to keep the memory there. And I've definitely seen it sometimes not even cleaning up properly even after the tab was closed. Heck, it's even easy to replicate - 1. wait for FF to build up a lot of RAM usage 2. close all tabs but one 3. see how memory does not drop to the levels it was when FF was first opened.

OK, all the testing I've done is with some addons and customisation on, but nothing leads me to believe a vanilla FF is going to be faultless. Perhaps it would take longer to build up memory but the issues are present, as evidenced by the fact that FF has always been notorious for its resource usage.
1. Yes i know that it is standard full screen button....
2. I select 'never store history' so that no history is stored to take up space . Firefox may or may not be slower than chrome since i have no way of finding that out . My chrome is bugged...Super bugged... It takes 5 mins to open Google's front page...

SexyGarfield

Mar 12, 2013
Firefox with noscript as my primary and if I can't get something important to display right no matter how I arrange my noscript permissions I'll use Chrome.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I use IE because I like the look and speed. It's also apparently got better anti-virus protection than the other browsers. I'd have no problem using Chrome or even Firefox but I don't see any real need to switch.

Zipa said:
Plus Chrome is currently the only browser supporting 60fps Youtube video playback currently and HTML5 natively.
Youtube videos run fine on IE11.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Olas said:
I use IE because I like the look and speed. It's also apparently got better anti-virus protection than the other browsers. I'd have no problem using Chrome or even Firefox but I don't see any real need to switch.

Zipa said:
Plus Chrome is currently the only browser supporting 60fps Youtube video playback currently and HTML5 natively.
Youtube videos run fine on IE11.
Not in 60FPS they don't, its currently a Chrome only feature.

That1Guy

Apr 3, 2013
I started using Chrome because it was just plain faster on my old, piece of garbage computer. Now I just use it out of habit.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Firefox because it's the one that's annoyed me the least. IE can piss off, and I've had little but trouble with Chrome.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I use Firefox for the simple fact that it has Fox in it's name.

Showing just how much of a furry piece of trash I am.

On the occasion I do use IE for shit that fucks up on Firefox(damn you Wellsfargo.)

smokingplane

Dec 26, 2011
On mobile devices dolphin.
On my work laptop firefox.
On the home laptop firefox.
On the home pc (wich gets shared a lot) firefox for me, chrome for my kid and ie for the wife who rather uses her own laptop to do anything online, where she uses firefox.
On the linux machine firefox.
Lets say I'm quite fond of firefox.
Chrome is used everywhere as backup in case firefox crashes.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Firefox user here. It's the only internet browser on both my laptops.
Flash on the other hand is a pain in the ass sometimes.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Konqueror.
I use it because it has working native session management and because it hasn't yet crashed on me as bad as Firefox or Chromium/Chrome have (Opera couldn't even take an 80 tab session).

Edit: for watching YouTube videos and flash video, I use Chromium. And on Windows, I use Waterfox with a sheer incredible amount of add-ons to make it usable and not-terrible.

Libra

Feb 4, 2012
I used to stay with IE for the longest time, but about two years ago I switched to Firefox. I must admit that I've never liked the lay-out of Chrome

Monk5127

All Hail Space Duck
Sep 6, 2014
I use Waterfox coupled with noscript and the classic theme restorer add-on.

ivarsa15

Nov 21, 2009
Primary firefox, but I use chrome on my old laptop because it runs smoother. Chrome also has amazing compatibility with streaming to my chromecast while firefox is highly modular.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
For my laptop I use Firefox, but for my tablet I go for chrome. I might end up using chrome on my laptop as well as I seem to have fewer issues with chrome at the moment compared to Firefox.