Poll: What do other country think of america

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
after reading this thread http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.368368-Chanting-U-S-A-Racism? it got me thinking about how the rest of the world thinks about are history(like the the revolutionary war),culture, and are present state. please be honest with me OK.

TheOmenCorpse

Aug 4, 2011
America is the combination of South America and North America. I think it's funny that citizens of USA seem to believe their country spans two continents. I understand that this is just a colloquialism, and no one really believes it, but if a brit started talking about Europe being occupied solely by other brits people would look at him as if he was an imbecile

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I quite like Americans.

Yes I may have friendly digs at them but it's all in humour.

Being a Brit we only see bits in our media and that we do see is usually someone loud with the IQ of a half eaten pickled egg.

But I met a hell of a lot of US folks during my army days, mostly other soldiers but quite a few civvies as well, and most of them were pretty decent folks.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Regnes said:
Well here in Canada we don't really hate Americans, even if we do consider them to be an inferior culture in general.

A lot of us do take issue with America's portrayal of WW2 though, how they ignore every other country's contributions and even take credit for famous battles they didn't win. Also quite rich when you consider most of the world still looks down upon America for joining the war two years late.
Here in the UK we value Canadas contribution to WW2. I'm pretty sure it's taught in high school history classes.

Well most americans I've encountered online think the USA is the greatest at everything especially sports. That said all escapist members from USA seem to be very pleasant people. I'm not a fan of the USA's government treating the UK like it's *****.

EDIT: I love american sit coms, some food ideas are hilarious I like it seriously spreadable marshmallow

lovestomooch

Jun 14, 2010
Your choices start at the mediocre and then go down from there, what if I wanted to say I loved you guys, eh? EH? I'd have to go with "it's ok".
ot I'm an englander and think you guys are just fine. Everyone's wants to pay their bills, look after their kids and have fun. People only tend to bring up this stuff to hide something bigger or worse and the butt is usually a politician or FOX, don;t worry about it. :)

TheOmenCorpse

Aug 4, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
TheOmenCorpse said:
America is the combination of South America and North America. I think it's funny that citizens of USA seem to believe their country spans two continents. I understand that this is just a colloquialism, and no one really believes it, but if a brit started talking about Europe being occupied solely by other brits people would look at him as if he was an imbecile
It seems so much easier to call those the Americas, and I'm pretty sure that's how it's usually done.
Call it a pet peeve, but I always think it implies a level of arrogance you do not see in other countries.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
While I don't agree with a lot of your typical American's views, as an Englishman I find them a friendly and interesting people, which is lucky I guess because I'll be going over there to work in less than two months time.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
TheOmenCorpse said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
TheOmenCorpse said:
It seems so much easier to call those the Americas, and I'm pretty sure that's how it's usually done.
Call it a pet peeve, but I always think it implies a level of arrogance you do not see in other countries.

Honestly, are you just looking for something to take offense with this? We shorten the United States of America to "America" for the same reason we change People's Republic of China to "China", the United Mexican States to "Mexico", and so on. Yes, it happens to share part of its name with the American continents. That's not arrogance, but coincidence. For God's sake.

eevangoh

Sep 4, 2011
Same ratio of shitheads to geniuses as everywhere, I guess, except maybe skewed a bit in the "geniuses" direction because of all that intellectual immigration business.

I do have some issues with views commonly accepted over there, but I do realize it's a result of past propaganda and cultural differences, not some ancient and incurable evil lurking inside of every American.

Though I don't think I can be viewed as a representative of the whole of my country (Ukraine). We never quite got over the Cold War bullshit en masse.

Feb 10, 2012
Where getting of topic here. I've been to alot of places recently. The Philippines, Singapore, Hong kong, Thailand, Guam, I live in japan. and before I joined the navy... dont do that by the way lol makes this net and game savy life style hard.... any way before the military I had been round Europe after taking holiday in Reading England for the Reading rock festivle. and whilst we pull into the back end of every place... or at least our presence seems to corrupt these place aside from the people seeing every american they see as a pay day the general feeling i get from them is that if were respectful of them and there culture while we are there they like us and are completely indifferent if not a little envious of america the news seems to always fine these small niche groups of anti american people and blows the idea up into the entire nation having this view, but really there small isolated groups.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Regnes said:
Well here in Canada we don't really hate Americans, even if we do consider them to be an inferior culture in general.

A lot of us do take issue with America's portrayal of WW2 though, how they ignore every other country's contributions and even take credit for famous battles they didn't win. Also quite rich when you consider most of the world still looks down upon America for joining the war two years late.
Here in the UK we value Canadas contribution to WW2. I'm pretty sure it's taught in high school history classes.
I can vouch for that - we got taught about the Commonwealth's contribution to the war, and in particular Canada's actions in Europe. It really pisses me off that they always seem to get forgotten, especially on D-day, where they covered just as much ground as the Brits and Americans.

TheOmenCorpse

Aug 4, 2011
Chemical Alia said:
TheOmenCorpse said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
TheOmenCorpse said:

Honestly, are you just looking for something to take offense with this? We shorten the United States of America to "America" for the same reason we change People's Republic of China to "China", the United Mexican States to "Mexico", and so on. Yes, it happens to share part of its name with the American continents. That's not arrogance, but coincidence. For God's sake.
'The States' is a shortened version of the United States of America, also USA.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
TheOmenCorpse said:
Chemical Alia said:
TheOmenCorpse said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
TheOmenCorpse said:

'The States' is a shortened version of the United States of America, also USA.
Not officially, and not often used by people under the age of 70.