Poll: What do you call it? Soda, cola, pop, etc...

THEMILKMAN

Jun 16, 2009
I'm sure this topic's been done to death but I couldn't find a recent one when I searched so here goes.

Also for more effective data collection please specify where you live since this seems to effect the term people use.

These are all common names I've heard people use (yes a few people refer to everything as coke) except of course the heavenly one, that's a joke option which I like to include in all my polls. Please excuse me if I'm forgetting any other common ones especially those used outside the U.S.

OT: Pop for me. In Ohio.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I call it Coke. When I ask for Cherry Coke, I don't care if it's Coke, Pepsi, RC, whatever. If from a fountain though it's Soda.

Oklahoma, though I've called it Coke everywhere I've ever lived. Most people here tend to call it Pop.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Soda in Colorado/California, I've only met a handful of people in my entire life who have ever referred to it as pop...

WhiteRat07

Some guy
Aug 13, 2009
When i lived in Ohio it was pop, and i still call it that. I live in Texas now and most call it coke no matter what brand it is.

XzarTheMad

Oct 10, 2008
In English, I call it soda. Cola is a certain type of soda (coke being a certain brand), and pop is a slang, I'd say.

I live in Scandinavia.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Soda. Always soda. "pop" just makes me think of the 50s too much XD
I'm in North Carolina.

ShockValue

Addicted to coffee
May 8, 2008
Neonbob said:
Soda. Always soda. "pop" just makes me think of the 50s too much XD
I'm in North Carolina.
You're always wrong Matty!

Being Canadian I always call it pop.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
In Florida, it's Coke, except when talking about a specific type of soda, and then it's soda, never pop. For example, you might say "I want an orange soda," but when speaking generically, it's usually "let's get a coke," rather than "let's get a soda." I've never heard anybody who was actually born in the state -- or anywhere in the South, for that matter -- use the term "pop" unless they were talking about how people talk up North.

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
Other: because in britain we call the drink by what its called. If its coca cola we call it coke, if its dr pepper we call it dr pepper, if its lilt we call it lilt, if its irn bru we call it irn bru and so on.
Unless the 'it' you are reffering to is just coka cola and not all fizzy drinks, in which case just coke.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Everyone in the Upper Midwest (Minnesota, Wisconsin, the Dakotas) that I know calls it pop, including me. Where I live now, they just tend to refer to brand or call it a "soft drink".

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Soda. I call most of the brown sodas I don't like (pepsi/coke/etc) cola, because I don't have a clue what the flavor is actually called

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Where I'm from in eastern Pennsylvania, I've never heard it called anything other than soda. "Pop" sounds really corny to my ears, and the first time I was asked "what kind of coke do you want" at a restaurant in Texas was a confusing experience.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Soda. I'm from southern New York, but I've heard the people in the more northern parts of New York call it pop.