Poll: What do you call it? Soda, cola, pop, etc...

NathLines

May 23, 2010
I don't get it. Are we talking about soda or coke here? I call coke "cola" and I call soda "blask".

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
I lived four years in New York, four in Dominican Republic, and as of today I live in North Carolina, and I have always called it soda. In fact, I am drinking some Sprite right now.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
Every region has its own terminology for things. I remember when my family moved to Texas when I was a kid.

A neighbor invited my mom to "Let's go to the ice box and get a pie."

My mom thought ".... We're going to a meat locker to pick up a pie to eat for dinner?"

What the neighbor had meant to say was "Let's go to the gas station and pick up a pizza for dinner"

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
When refering to carbonated beverages in general I use the term "soda". If I want to refer to a specific c.b. I use it's name (or a slang term for it; i.e. Coca-cola as "Coke").

Southeastern Pennsylvania here.

GGZeta

Mar 11, 2011
Generally I call it soda or pop. Sometimes I call it a phosphate when I'm feeling full of it.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
Hinro said:
Haydyn said:
Over here in Washington, it is called Pop. I however, starting calling it Soda after I adopted a more Canadianish dialect.
Off Topic: I'm sorry but that post makes basically no sense. Unless you're in Quebec or you're trying to be different than everyone else it is normally called pop up here in Canada. Soda just sounds too sugary and our pop actually has less sugar than your sodas (on average).

OT: I'm from Ontario Canada and I personally go back and forth between calling it a soft drink and calling it pop simply because my mom calls them soft drinks (she spent some time in Australia when she was younger) and my dad calls it pop.
I started to wonder about that when I saw that A Canadian poster said they called it Pop. Guess I switched around the same time I started sounding more Canadian. I always thought Soda sounded too 1950's. Maybe I can blame an Edge and Christian promo.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Okysho said:
Rayne870 said:
Pop, being Canadian it is unacceptable to call it anything else.
Second, also because Coke is a brand of soft drink, not the soft drink itself. Pop.

Though it's not commonly used (I'm also Canadian) Soda I hear (boarder city).

I didn't know others called it "Coke" or "Cola" Those are a brand and a type. of Soft drink... Isn't that like calling video games in general "Nintendo" or any type of book "fantasy"?
I've actually started changing my drink orders to beer when I order Jack and Coke at a restaurant only to be informed they only have Pepsi, a few more years of this and I'll start walking out, or at least not tipping as much.

Hinro

Dec 9, 2010
Haydyn said:
Hinro said:
Haydyn said:
Over here in Washington, it is called Pop. I however, starting calling it Soda after I adopted a more Canadianish dialect.
Off Topic: I'm sorry but that post makes basically no sense. Unless you're in Quebec or you're trying to be different than everyone else it is normally called pop up here in Canada. Soda just sounds too sugary and our pop actually has less sugar than your sodas (on average).

OT: I'm from Ontario Canada and I personally go back and forth between calling it a soft drink and calling it pop simply because my mom calls them soft drinks (she spent some time in Australia when she was younger) and my dad calls it pop.
I started to wonder about that when I saw that A Canadian poster said they called it Pop. Guess I switched around the same time I started sounding more Canadian. I always thought Soda sounded too 1950's. Maybe I can blame an Edge and Christian promo.
No worries mate. Some Canadians tend to use American wording at times so it can be confusing which one is Canadian in origins (like washroom instead of bathroom).