Poll: What do you do when you've been killed for the 10th time in the same place?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
First of all, I tend to shut the game off and go clear my head. After that, it depends. Can I go somewhere else in the game? If yes, I do that. If it's an RPG, I might try doing a different quest or dungeon, in a strategy game I might try to postpone the unwinnable battle until I can get more troops or avoid it altogether. In a sandbox game I might simply move elsewhere for a time, either bypassing the tricky section or unlocking more upgrades.

If I can't just go around it, then maybe I can replay the level and get to the tricky part in a more favourable position (with more health or ammo). Maybe I'm doing it wrong and I'm missing some trick that makes the "unwinnable" part merely tricky (if that).

Assuming all the above failed, I'll look for help. Gamefaqs, forums and such often offer valuable insight and it's likely other players have gotten stuck in the same tricky part as me.

And if all of that fails (and the game is good enough to justify the effort) I prepare myself for a long and grueling experience as I slowly learn, memorize and trial-error my way through the damned section.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
This recently happened to me in MW2, I beat it by changing tactics to more of a hide then run kind of thing.

Darenus

Apr 10, 2008
I have tried and failed at God of War I's and II's challenges in attempts to achieve highest ranks... for 2 consecutive hours.... I will beat it eventually but try beating THAT diligence on the same fight over and over and over and over again! >:D

..... yes, I'm a freak.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Well, I really only play RPGs, so I just go grind for a while.
Oh, unless it's Banjo-Kazooie. In which case it is that last boss. STILL haven't beat Gruntilda.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
did anyone else read the article on here on I wanna be the guy. there's a video link that's hilarious. Here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih_ZPaUvGDM&feature=response_watch#movie_player

he cracks about 6 and a half minutes in.

-Ulven-

Nov 18, 2009
I was killed about 20 times in God of War 2 when I had to push an "elevator" down a shaft, with crushing spikes coming down from above and skeletons that interrupted the motion when they hit you... oh, they could also take a hell of a lot of beating

zacaron

Apr 7, 2008
1. try again
2. try something else
3. snipe
4. more nades
5. internet help
6. co-op (if available)

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Beat COD4 on hardened yesterday, and there were A LOT of times that I wanted to rage quit the shit out of that mofo

UpSkirtDistress

Mar 2, 2009
Depends on the game really call of duty or anything with loads of checkpoints fair enough, anything where you have to reload a save point from a little while back can fuck off

BigSuze

Sep 29, 2009
I usually try and suppress my urge to throw the controller (broke three already by doing this and my fourth is making unhealthy rattling noises) and look on the internet. Unless its an FPS, in which case I usually keep trying until I pass it.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Eleuthera said:
try 1-5 keep at it
try 5-10 try new tactics
look online
10-15 try found tactics
give up (for the night at least, possibly for a few weeks)
try again miraculously get it in a single try

This seems to be my pattern lately
This.It usually works.

ACM_Shadow

Aug 6, 2009
try new tactics, if that doesnt work try new/different guns, then mix them both. If game supports online MP, play that for a bit to get better, then go back to singleplayer. (and yes, melee rambo works wonders if you do it right on online, not so good in SP though)

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Depends on the game- STALKER on Master difficulty, it's business as usual, Mass effect, it's keyboard killin` time.

aarontg

Aug 10, 2009
For me this is called "Gears of war 2 syndrome".

I don't see why people keep whining about how difficult modern warfare 2's campain is, this is the real difficult stuff.

AnneSQF

Sep 22, 2009
Somewhere between trying and giving up. I might stop playing for a week and then come back and try again.