Poll: What do you look for in a Let's Play?

pyrokin

May 13, 2011
Thinking about doing a co-op Let's Play soon, and for the sake of them, I'd like your opinions on what you look for in video game Let's Plays. This is more of a simple curiosity I've had, of course I'm still going to do them the way I like.

Commenting on why you chose your answer is also well appreciated.
Thank you.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Good visual quality and a commentator with a non-annoying voice who knows not to speak over the game's dialogue.

Oh, and of course I have to be interested in the actual game.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
I'm generally fairly easy going. The only thing I really don't like is being annoyed.

Lets player's normally annoy me when you can tell they are trying to hard to be funny. They are saying inane stuff like "oh snap!" to everything and they don't acknowledge the times when the viewers actually want to watch the game.

I was watching a Mass Effect 3 demo let's play yesterday and I was so annoyed by it I had to just turn it off. The guy would just not shut up. He wasn't funny and he just kept rattling on and on.

My favourite let's player is AlChestBreach. He's hilarious.

But if you aren't someone who is abnormally funny, don't try to be. There are plenty of commentators I enjoy who aren't particularly funny. As long as they make me interested in the game, I'm cool with it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
For me, it has to be something of a combination.

While I wouldn't say comedy in and of itself is important, the LPer has to have an engaging personality.

The game, of course, needs to be something I actually am interested in.

The LPer should have some knowledge of the game going in.. they don't have to be perfect by any means, but if I'm watching a LP I don't care to see someone dying at the same part 63 times in a row. I just don't find that entertaining. If you end up having trouble with a part, don't be afraid to edit the video to make it more watchable. For example, show the first couple of deaths, maybe a really close attempt or two, and then the successful run.

If I'm watching a full LP of a game, I don't really need it to be from a review style perspective, but actual commentary about what is working in the game and what isn't is a plus. Also, try to bring something extra to the experience like some personal knowledge, personal rumination on characters/plotlines, etc.

I'd say everyone has their own tastes in an LP, but it's most imporatnt to bear in mind that there are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of LPs out there for bigger titles. In some ways it's less important to worry about how exactly to make your LP stabd out than it is to just make sure that it does stand out.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
For me, it is a combination. First, the game should definitely contain information on the game as most of the Let's Plays I watch are to avoid playing it myself yet still getting to experience the game through the videos. I have never played all the way through a Half Life game as I got bored pretty early in but I enjoyed experiencing it through a Let's Play once and also enjoy the unfinished "Freeman's Mind" LP.

Comedy can make me do a second look at a LP. Also, if the game has to do with character progression, I like hearing why you are investing in things the way you are or why you are choosing the gear you are.

Really, I am pretty lax and don't think any particular formula is better than another. For me though information and good pacing is the best attributes if I had to pick them.

TheEmoSpeeds666

Jan 15, 2012
It should be funny, but not stupid or childish. The person doing it shouldn't have a voice high enogh to break glass, and they should play games their own way, and not any other way. Also, leave your failures in.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
I look for comedy, but I primarily look for screenshot LPs. They're easier for me to handle.

Not that there's anything wrong with video, I mean 2 of my top 5 LPs are video. I just find I enjoy SSLPs better...

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Comedy and informative. I'd only watch let's plays of games I'm interested in and can't play like a beta, so Yogscast Guild Wars 2 Let's Plays worked out quite well.

Although if they are genuinely funny that alone would suffice.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Zhukov said:
Good visual quality and a commentator with a non-annoying voice who knows not to speak over the game's dialogue.

Oh, and of course I have to be interested in the actual game.
The non-annoying voice part is essential. There have been a few LPs which I've stopped watching after 10 seconds because of this. There is no way in hell I'm listing to somebody mumbling nasally for several hours. I know they can't do anything about their voice, but that won't make me enjoy listening to a noise that annoying.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
They just have to be interesting. That's my only requirement for an LPer. Oh and their voice must be non-annoying.

I prefer Blind runs though, when someone's rattling through the entire game all "right this is gonna happen next, here's the optimal solution blah blah" I find myself getting turned off. In fact the only proper "walkthrough" i've ever fully watched was Sixbullet's ME2 walkthrough. That man is just awesome, he went through the entire of Killzone 3 ranting about how superior the Helghast were.

Failthroughs are more interesting to me. There's this one guy called Toegoff who somehow manages to summon bugs and glitches to any game he LPs and he fails at basically anything you could possibly fail at.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
If it's a video LP, a good voice (i.e., one that isn't annoying, nasally or whiny) is a must-have. Also, knowledge about the game is appreciated, and chemistry between the main player and anyone with them is good too. It doesn't necessarily need to be comedic, but causing a chuckle or two throughout is welcome.

If it's a screenshot LP, then a coherent voice (whether it be a narrative or a commentary) is needed, and I prefer my screenshot ones to make me laugh hard. Obviously, game knowledge is another needed quality.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Comedy, mainly inventive insults.

For that reason alone I watch British LP's. Tempted of doing one myself, I apparently sound rather English.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Comedy. Other things are helpful, but that's what will keep me interested.

Sadly, many people aren't funny.

And not being recorded from a tv using a camera by a 12 year old helps.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
A person who genuinely enjoys the game he is playing. Also, a bit of humor here and there is always welcome, but rarely people succeed in it.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I like a person with a completely random sense of humor. Crazy references and habits.

Like the guy that did an Oblivion Let's Play where he had a skull in his inventory for the entire game and he kept asking it for advice. And humming Fallout 3 music when running across Cyrodiil. I like madness. And somehow only British Let's Players are genuinely funny.

And I look for someone who actually knows how to play a game and wants to play the game. Not someone who spends 3 hours on the first level of Dark Souls because he just hasn't the patience to learn the mechanics. What I hate as well is someone who continually asks his audience for advice. Just play the damn game and stop complaining! If I want an opinion on a game I watch a review, not a Let's Play.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much humour/ comedy otherwise if I wanted to watch a Let Play I may aswell watch my brother of my friend playing the game instead (well not anymore since my brother and friend lived elsewhere).

Humour is what make me come back to watching more of it (the game itself or the cutscene is again may aswell be watched from Youtube).

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
-Humor at appropriate times and also a humor type I enjoy.

-Leave in your failures cut out needless travel time.

-Voice that does not annoy me.

-Mix of gameplay and commentary. Talk during downtimes not during cut scenes.

-Game I want to see.

-Review of issues that you are having is a nice touch. This game seems to rebind my keys every time I start it up.

-Please don't be so bad that it is painful to watch. After one episode that gets old.

standokan

May 28, 2009
I like it's when it's a duo doing the playthrough, important though is that the two of them have a chemistry and a sense of humor.

Also, good video quality, good microphones and voices which aren't annoying (rarely the case though).