Poll: What do you look for in a Let's Play?

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
First thing I look for is humour. If it's not fun and enjoyable then it has no use as entertainment. I don't really watch many let's plays though. The only ones I've watched are Spoony's LPs of Phantasmagoria 2 (I don't even know how to describe it). Those are all amazingly funny.

It really helps when there's a good game to work off of that has characters to make fun of.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I know they are probably a lot more annoying to do, but I prefer the written ones with pictures to the watchable ones!

But if I were to watch one I like it to be funny... like Tobascus' 'TobyGames' ones... they make me giggle!

The person doesn't necessarily have to be good... in fact sometimes it's a lot more funny to watch someone struggle with something that you worked out ages ago... as long as they are not raging or anything! I hate hearing people raging for no reason... chill out people!

Oh, and a bit of pitch variety in the voice! I hate monotonous boring voices, I like to hear people like the guys on Rooster Teeth, who have a laugh as they do it... and the ones I like the most are the ones where there are a couple of people playing... Or at least a 2nd voice of a person who is watching and commenting!

Unfortunately there seem to be too many from people who are too boring to sisten too, or explain every detail to the most miniscule detail, as though we were only listening rather than watching it!

I watch Let's Plays for entertainment when I do not have my games with me, and I like them to be entertaining!

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
If it doesn't start with a "Hello once again, audience! When we left off...", then I'm not interested.

GoAwayVifs

Aug 5, 2011
First, it is vitally important that you game footage and your audio recording are of good quality. This means using the right codecs, rendering at the right resolution, recording at the right resolution, maintaining the proper aspect ratio, uploading the right type of file. This goes for SSLPs too, having them displayed in their native resolution, or upsizing to nearest neighbour. People will put up with you not having a pperfect voice, they won't put up with a shit quality video. I believe you mentioned you recorded commentary while you were sick? No. Don't do that you will sound terrible. Rerecord when you aren't sick.

As for the content, don't play blind. 99% of blind LPs are utter crap. Don't blind LP. Edit your footage. No one wants to see you die a bunch. No one wants to see you stuck. Cut that shit out. On a similar note, do practice runs before hand so you aren't wandering around the level, and you know where collectables, or ammo, or whatever are. As was mentioned you have to have good chemistry with your co commentators, and have a good sense of when to talk. Don't talk over each other ever. Don't talk over the whole video, specifically over cutscenes, but it is okay just to take a break and not talk. On the other hand don't have too much dead air, this is one of those things where this is no real guidelines for and is just something you have to get a feeling for.

Either informative or comedy on their own will work fine as long as they are at least interesting. A good set up for commentating with two people is to have one be very knowledgeable about the game, usually the person who is playing, and the other having a very limited knowledge. That will create a natural flow with explanations.

The game you choose isn't that important, as long as you are passionate about it in some way, either love, hate or something in between. If you aren't really that interested in the game it'll show and the videos will not be good. There have been amazing LPs made from some of the worst games ever made. The game being 'good' is irrelevant to the quality of your LP.

Something to remember is the above all else the LP is about the game. Not the person LPing the game. We don't care about your personal life, we don't care about your friends, it is not about you. The worst thing you can do is make an LP to try and gain some e-fame.

That's what I look for in an LP video. I would be happy to criticize your stuff once you start making test videos,

Blemontea

May 25, 2010
I voted combination, because while comedy is important. Variety is the spice of life, so I like a well rounded experience in LPS.
As of right now, a lot of LPers im subscribed to aren't playing much of any interesting games.

The only one I have watched is JoshJepsons Link to the past LP because, its funny while being informative of things and also I like Link to the past. While other Lpers are playing things like Brawl, Pokemon Emerald, MK Wii, or Donkey Kong Country. I have no interest in these games and some are being WAY to informative of the game, and others are just rambling while a game is being played in front of them.

Also Spirit, Blind lets play are usually hit or miss, but when they miss its like a cannonball hitting the wall, hard to watch, listen too, or think about the mess afterwords. But if its a hit and the person likes the game and can natural flow with the games progression its fun to watch and everyone has a good time. PLus the comments are more than just tips and spoilers of upcoming levels.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I prefer a combination of all of the traits, obviously I like an experienced player because it is incredibly frustrating to watch someone bad fumble around and waste my time and theirs on a very easy part of a game (idk some people might like that).

Comedy is good if they are actually funny, bad jokes just make me groan and wish the player didn't talk at all, Toby Turner is a good example of good comedy, if he was actually any good at games he'd be a great LP maker.

Information on game is nice too, it gives the commentator something to say when not much is going on in the game and he can't think of anything else, also helps others know more about how to play and the lore of the game.

Review-like play is also cool, it is nice to hear what they gauge the game as long as they don't get too one-sided and remember to keep it to their opinion or overt facts about the gameplay.

A good game isn't always necessary, sometimes I just want to see a certain game played through or a bad game because I don't want to be the one to play it myself.