Poll: What do you think of the WiiU now?

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
So, Nintendo decided to show us some goods at E3. Let's take a look at the WiiU now:
Super Smash Bros WiiU (not to mention 3DS and the actually nifty little amiibos, plus Miis and LADY PALUTENA!)
Mario Maker (been a long time coming)
Zelda WiiU (to be open world this time, which sounds awesome)
Hyrule Warriors (2 player, with Zelda, Impa, and Midna, possibly more, playable)
Yoshi's Wooly World (I legitimately hope TBFP can make Woolie do a playthrough of this)
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (canvas curse was actually pretty solid)
Sonic Boom (after Colors, Generations, and Lost World, I'm actually willing to trust in Sonic)
Devil's Third (From the only brains Team Ninja ever actually had)
Bayonetta 2 (and the first one thrown in as well, with some extra Nintendo elements thrown in)
Xenoblade Chronicles X (still looks absolutely gorgeous)
Splatoon (what the heck is this and why is my boner throwing my wallet at my screen)
Starfox WiiU (Confirmed! Miyamotosama has indeed been working on his secret black projects)
Project Guardian (Tower Defense? In a Nintendo Game? More likely than you'd think)
Project Giant Robot (We need more Project Giant Robots in our lives)

Plus, we've already recieved:
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario WiiU
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Sonic Lost World
Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
ZombiU

And that's in addition to any other good games that we've already had that I hadn't listed, or any other good games that might be coming in the future. Some people in the escapist enjoy any chance to say that Nintendo is screwed and should stop making hardware and sell out to one of its competition, and even I would be crazy to not admit that the WiiU has had an atrociously rough start. But what do you honestly think now?

Captcha: Mouth watering. Wow, that's bizarrely accurate for me. I tried to be at least impartial to the options for the pole, and am entirely open to people who still view all of this as barely noteworthy in comparison to what other companies have in store. But I'm -definitely- happy with what I see coming my way, and with 3 more unannounced Nintendo titles in the next 2 days, alongside any other games that aren't Nintendo Exclusive to be added to the WiiU's library (I tried to focus just on what 1st party for Nintendo I could find), I'm feeling pretty good.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
At least they are trying. I'll give them that. Look call me when these games get released , then we'll talk.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
E3 was 'won' by Nintendo for me.

So...I think my body is ready.
At least by next year.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I still don't have any strong feelings towards the WiiU to be honest with you, I still have my sights set on the PS4 (and I will be acquiring one fairly soon), but I will be seeing if these games get released and then I just might pick up a wiiU, but for now I am happy with my PS3

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
krazykidd said:
At least they are trying. I'll give them that. Look call me when these games get released , then we'll talk.
Pretty much this is the same for me.

Now don't get me wrong, I have had a Wii U since before it ever even got it's first price drop (happened a week later, still miffed a bit), but for the longest time it collected dust. The main problem Nintendo, well at least Nintendo of America, has had is that they don't advertise there games at all, and the few advertisements that were out were generally really bad. The only 2 that have been really good were Tropical Freeze's 1 ad they'd play, and the Mario Kart 8 ones. If Nintendo doesn't advertise these games more the closer they get out, then nothing will change. Now I'm getting most of the games either way, since I follow game news in general, but for those who don't these games will completely go under the radar unless they are advertised properly (well except for Zelda of course).

However, you cannot deny that Nintendo has had a terrible year and a half with the Wii U. The marketing was abysmal, the sales were at Dreamcast levels, and the glut of not many interesting games being released was constant. Like what happened with the 3DS, Nintendo needed to focus on the Wii U badly. Unfortunately though, they kept focusing only on the 3DS, long after it didn't need to. The marketing was so bad that most people thought the Wii U was just an expensive peripheral pad for the Wii, and it didn't help that it took ages for the actual Wii U console to show up in ads and not just the GamePad. Then the fact that the GamePad hadn't really be utilized at all to actually be a fully integrated part of the games. Sure we had some of them, but the main games like 3D World and Tropical Freeze don't even really use the GamePad (Tropical Freeze the GamePad is completely dark if not using off-screen play), Finally, all the supposed "killer apps" up to Mario Kart 8 would only just give an initial sales boost, only for that boost in console sales to be gone within about a week.

Really I hope Nintendo does well, but when you see them doing as badly as they were doing, especially after the excellent marketing done for the Wii, you have to question what the hell have they been doing for this last year and a half.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
It's still a resounding 'meh' from me.

I'm more into their handheld stuff anyways, but the only thing that really stands out for me is Bayonetta 2. Loved the first game and while I'm a little bummed that Nintendo was the only company that bothered to pick that series up I really don't know if I want to fork out cash for one game.

As for Devil's Third, call me when it actually comes out because after the whole THQ fiasco I'm not holding my breath. I mean, it looks bat shit bonkers and fun as hell, but I'm gonna withhold judgement until it comes out.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Near enough everything I hear about the Wii U in terms of being a machine isn't really positive, but the games and the pad really make me want it more and more. At this point I just can't wait to get one, but there are games getting in the way of that seeing as new games cost a pretty penny.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
I don't understand it. A bunch of people on Twitter say that Nintendo should go software only, even though they revealed a TON of great games today.

Why should they do that when the Wii U is getting games?

On topic, yes. I am now interested in getting a Wii U. 2015 looks to be a great year not just for the Wii U, but for gamers in general.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I can't say that my feelings have really changed all that much. The new Zelda looks pretty cool so I may eventually pick up a WiiU almost entirely to play that, but nothing else excited me. They certainly didn't have a dull thud of a presentation, but it's Nintendo and their presentation was very Ninteodo. I can't see anyone really getting excited about what they showed unless you were already on board.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
VG_Addict said:
I don't understand it. A bunch of people on Twitter say that Nintendo should go software only, even though they revealed a TON of great games today.

On topic, yes. I am now interested in getting a Wii U. 2015 looks to be a great year not just for the Wii U, but for gamers in general.
Keyword is "getting" games. The wiiU has been out for almost 2 years are people are still singing the same song. " Getting games, getting games" release the damn game already. Now don't go posting a grocery list of games, because that doesn't convince anybody. "Getting" games can only go so far, "Has" games is what people want.

Hey but maybe in 2015, the wiiu will "have" games.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I will get a WiiU at one point or another, though likely not for another year or two. That is more than I can say for the PS4 or Xbone, since I have no plans to buy either of them and chances are it will remain that way. To be honest, a PlayStation TV will probably be my only hardware purchase from the big 3 for the foreseeable future.

This E3 has not changed my intentions.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
I was gonna get it some point besides they work like clockwork and I really like their franchises and approach to videgames. Also did anyone else laugh when Reggie and Iwata fought during the Smash Bros part of their confrence?

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
I doubt Wii U will make a comeback, but do you think it will do a lot better in 2015?
krazykidd said:
VG_Addict said:

Keyword is "getting" games. The wiiU has been out for almost 2 years are people are still singing the same song. " Getting games, getting games" release the damn game already. Now don't go posting a grocery list of games, because that doesn't convince anybody. "Getting" games can only go so far, "Has" games is what people want.

Hey but maybe in 2015, the wiiu will "have" games.
Bayonetta 2, Smash, and Hyrule Warriors come out in 2014, and around the same time.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Don't own one, but I've played on one a fair bit at a friends house and I have to admit it's actually quite nice. Not sure whether I would ever buy one myself but then the same could be said for the Xbox and PS4 as well, and of the three I've pobably had the best experience with the WiiU so far. Very crisp visuals as well, which was a bit of a surprise for me when I first saw it because I was expecting it to look the weakest of the new generation of consoles, yet so far it's been the one to impress me the most in the respect as well.

I like the screen controller too. Neat idea now that I've actually seen and played with it myself.

So yeah, good console. Just needs more games.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Eh,still dumb buy for me.Jus the most expensive option unless your a sole N gamer. Mass effect, Ass creed uncharted infamous, halo, CoD, DA-I, Doom, Tom clancy games, arkham Knight, pretty much every single tripple A release for the next 5 years wont show up (unless gimped) on the U.

Maybe there will be a good emulator in 5 years all I'll catch up on the backlog i'd play. Starfox, metroid, Fzero .... and ... o yeah smash bros.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I think the same of it now as I did before.

Hell, I still don't even know what the console looks like.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
They should have been doing this last year, back when their main competition was a pair of ancient hardware from 2006 and the 'next gen' was still months away.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I still do not care for it. I've never been a fan of Nintendo's franchises except for Pokemon (I was a PS2 gamer growing up) so new Mario, Zelda and Kirby games do not excite me at all. Looking down that list the only games I would be interested in are The Wonderful 101 and Smash Bros... but they aren't must buys for me. Plus I could always get Smash Bros on my 3DS.

Really it's unlikely I'll ever get a Wii U. I'm more likely to actually get a PS4 in the future, what with new Uncharted, Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XV coming (hopefully soon).