Poll: What do you think of the WiiU now?

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Needs more Metroid. I like Zelda. I like Smash Bros. I like Mario. I'm not getting the WiiU until they announce a new Metroid game for it, NOt developed by Team Ninja or anyone involved with Other M.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
I always find it funny how many people cry doom for a console because it has few good games, when it is very obviously going to get the games it needs. I know for a fact there are going to be a number of people in this very thread who should be very embarrassed about things they once said about the 3DS or PS3. There are certainly some companies that you can't always rely on for this - the Vita still seems somewhat up in the air - but if you were doubting Nintendo's ability to effectively exploit nostalgia in its very large fan base, you're a moron. So a year from now, it will have its share of awesome games like it was always going to have, on the power of Smash Bros and Zelda it will be a well-selling system like it was always going to be, and there will be an awful lot of critics that will be hoping that everyone just forgets about their incredible lack of foresight.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
I bought one about 6 months ago and I was pretty happy with it then.

Mind you, the only Wii U game I had was Wind Waker HD..but what seems to get overlooked all the time is that it has Wii backwards compatibility... if you skipped the Wii like a lot of people did, including myself, there is actually a pretty large and interesting back catalog to go through.

Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandora Tower, Sin and Punishment, fragile dreams, the last story, sakura wars etc etc

I picked up Mario Kart 8 which is amazing and as part of a promo I also got pikmin 3 free, which is surprisingly fun.

After watching that E3 digital event though, I couldn't be happier with my purchase, there are some amazing games coming out. I really couldn't care less about that toad adventure and yoshi's woolly world but that new Zelda, Xenoblade chronicles X, bayonetta 2 (and 1).

Splatoon looks like so much goddamn fun, I am hyped for that, Hyrule warriors also looks amazingly fun.

Devil's third and smash bros are basically just bonuses for me.

But there definitely are some things lacking, I won't lie, I will also be picking up a PS4 sometime very soon because there are plenty of games announced for that that I need to play: No man's sky, FFXV, KH3 etc.

The only console I won't be getting is an Xbox one because the only exclusive I want to play is sunset overdrive and I don't feel the need to buy a console for 1 game - I would have been hyped for the Master Chief collection if they announced a release for PC, what is the point in having over 100 multiplayer maps and all that crap when you have to try and play them on anything other than a mouse and keyboard, I really don't know how people play FPS games with a controller.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
For me the Wii U has been something I've always wanted but could never justify getting it. Like, I think the concept is awesome and some of the games look pretty cool, but I don't know how much I'd get out of it compared to a PS4 or a new Videocard.

But, after seeing E3 I think I'm changing my mind. I've never been that big on Nintendo (I had a sega and a psx as a kid) but some of the stuff they are bringing out looks so damn cool. And I want to start bringing back couch gaming. I want to invite friends over and we can eat junk food and play fun games, and I think the Wii U is going to be great for that.

seaweed

May 19, 2014
I pick on it a lot but it's getting there.

It has better couch co-op than the Xbone or PS4 and a lot of great games you can't get anywhere else. The library's small but it's at least a bit better than you'd think. I just wish their E3 conference had more 2014 and less 2015.

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
Where's the option "Waiting for a sub-$100 price point to get one"? The WiiU looks good, but it's not going to survive. I bet it'll be less than $100 in about a year and a half. Once it reaches $80 or so, I'll pick one up. There's enough games on there that I'm interested in to justify the purchase.

PlayerDos

Nov 10, 2013
I still think it looks like a piece of shit that I won't buy.

And I was a Supernintendo, N64, Gamecube and Wii fanboy.

Zelda was the one game I'd probably have bought the WiiU for, and I hate the artstyle they use so unless I play it at a friends and see that it's awesome, I won't gamble on that one game.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
They still don't offer anything that I actually want, certainly not anything to buy an entirely new piece of hardware to play.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
As ever, i'm interested in Nintendo but not enough to buy their products when i still see the majority of it's games directed at children. Short of releasing lot's of 18 rated nasties with brutal content i'm happy to play the odd game at my friends house and leave it at that.

On a side note though i have more consideration for nintendo when i think about getting a new console. I don't feel the gamepads have changed enough on the other 2 consoles to actually change anything in gaming and predict that this generation will be little more than a graphical update for the last generations tired substance. Sadly, and against all my better judgement, i'm planning on getting back into the cheating loudmouth corner of gaming again...yup, PC gaming. *sigh* Same old shit or cheating bastards...no choice at all :(

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
It's funny, those three games in the OP that belong to Sonic actually made me give up.

Make a 3D or 2D Sonic game, guys, not gimp on both and make a bland overall one. At least the bad Sonic games are still entertaining, not overwhelmingly meeehhhh.

Besides, ZeldaU and StarfoxU are about the only things that really make me want it, but it's not enough to justify purchasing the system (yet). I'll need to see more to actually pick it up.

Sonic Boom, Hyrule Warriors and Splatoon seem cool, as well, but still not sure if worth the investment.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
It'll do better than the XBone, at least I think it will. But that's all I can say really. I'll get one if my brother moves out to for Xenoblade and the Fire Emblem game, that hasn't changed, but they have a few more interesting games from the look of it. The Zelda game looks kind of cool, though I've never really cared for that franchise, having played some of the ones that are called the best, and yet they just feel so men today. Alright games but nothing special. As for the rest, I don't care for the general quick bursts of joy from Nintendo games. They're like eating a bag of skittles. Sure it's nice and it might even vary a little, but it's hardly filling. Like playing a game of tag. I'll remember that I played it, but nothing about the actual time is memorable. That's my beef with Nintendo.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
I am slowly being turned around....my policy is that if the system has good games then I will buy it...and until just now...I never really had any justification to buy one...But...all dem games man. I will probably wait until the end of this year to see how the library of games grow and how the currently announced releases do...But by the looks of it, I will be picking up a WiiU in the future. Maybe not the near future...but in the future nevertheless.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
I thoroughly enjoy my near year-old Wii U, even with the now 4 games made for it I have for it (2 digital): Wind Waker, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, and Mario Kart. Circumstances willing, I'll enjoy Smash, Starfox, Hyrule Warriors, sandbox Zelda, and Splatoon as well.

What turned my head is a change in perspective; the controller isn't so much a tablet, as it does make the controller + TV medium a high-def DS. I have high hopes (with evidence in titles like WW HD and Zombie U) that design like this will continue, as I love my (3)DS, and while the touch or 3D isn't used to spectacular effect, I hardly care when the games can be so good.

That's a peculiarity I noticed with the 3DS; 3D, even touch function were just an immature selling point; It just sounds cool (and 3D smooths the overall look of the game as well), but the best games don't usually make active use of it. I guess we should want silly hardware functions like these to be an effective part of the interaction with the game...But good games/game design still make the true worth of these consoles.

I also didn't come to look at the Wii U as if it's the only game platform I own or ever owned. I have plenty of games even just on the PS3, let alone Steam/GoG and handhelds. My wallet would appreciate spread-out Wii U releases...

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
TKretts3 said:
Needs more Metroid. I like Zelda. I like Smash Bros. I like Mario. I'm not getting the WiiU until they announce a new Metroid game for it, NOt developed by Team Ninja or anyone involved with Other M.
Good luck with that, considering yoshio sakamoto is the creator of metroid, samus included, and wrote the story of other m along with directing it.

Zendariel

May 15, 2012
To original topic, was interested and still am, just can't really afford it. For me it has been the most interesting of the big three, large part is due to almost every other game making it to pc, and nintendo has just about always been more about "couch co-op" than the others which i really enjoy with my friends and family. It's always a letdown when a game advertises multiplayer for up to 4 players and the maximum you can play locally is 2 or the local multiplayer might not even exist even if it looks like it should be really easy to implement.

Ipsen said:
What turned my head is a change in perspective; the controller isn't so much a tablet, as it does make the controller + TV medium a high-def DS. I have high hopes (with evidence in titles like WW HD and Zombie U) that design like this will continue, as I love my (3)DS, and while the touch or 3D isn't used to spectacular effect, I hardly care when the games can be so good.

That's a peculiarity I noticed with the 3DS; 3D, even touch function were just an immature selling point; It just sounds cool (and 3D smooths the overall look of the game as well), but the best games don't usually make active use of it. I guess we should want silly hardware functions like these to be an effective part of the interaction with the game...But good games/game design still make the true worth of these consoles.
On the DS and touch thing i really disagree with calling it just an immature selling point. I can't say anything of the 3D as i still can't affort a 3DS(though i would probably agree on that, it sounds really cool but I haven't really heard that it would have been used to great effect). But the touch screen made quite a few games possible and it preceded the mainstream smartphones that utilised touch screens so just to list few games that utilised the touch screen either to a great effect or as a primary input device.

-The world ends with you, square rpg that i thought i'd hate(wasn't into the music at first and not really into the character designs either) but ended as one of my favourite games for the system.
-Professor layton series
-Ace attorney series debuted on gba in japan, but was only seen outside japan with the ds
-Ghost trick was playable with the buttons but it was just better with the touch screen
-Puzzle quest
-Elite beat agents

From the top of my head. Now i know the ds gave us a bazillion great games that could not care less about the touch capabilities. Nevertheless it was a great addition to the controls that enabled quite a few great games that wouldn't exist without it.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Zendariel said:
On the DS and touch thing i really disagree with calling it just an immature selling point. I can't say anything of the 3D as i still can't affort a 3DS(though i would probably agree on that, it sounds really cool but I haven't really heard that it would have been used to great effect). But the touch screen made quite a few games possible and it preceded the mainstream smartphones that utilised touch screens so just to list few games that utilised the touch screen either to a great effect or as a primary input device.

-The world ends with you, square rpg that i thought i'd hate(wasn't into the music at first and not really into the character designs either) but ended as one of my favourite games for the system.
-Professor layton series
-Ace attorney series debuted on gba in japan, but was only seen outside japan with the ds
-Ghost trick was playable with the buttons but it was just better with the touch screen
-Puzzle quest
-Elite beat agents

From the top of my head. Now i know the ds gave us a bazillion great games that could not care less about the touch capabilities. Nevertheless it was a great addition to the controls that enabled quite a few great games that wouldn't exist without it.
True, I wouldn't say that touch functionality is as much an immature, flimsy selling point anymore (how long was DS out before smartphone gaming took off?), or at least as much as the 3D functionality on 3DS. It amounts to more tactile to tap, hold, and swipe movement, and while simple, already proven itself an effective control method.

I'm actually quite torn if use of the touch screen on DS or Wii U fits snugly with traditional game design and their typical control schemes. In any case, it always feels like a change of pace or splitting of attention when I have to use it. That can be good or bad. Wildly so. So I can understand the complaints, yet I do feel I happen to be one of the people it usually works out for.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
606 Votes! Yay, my thread had traction!

One would disregard the 178 votes, since if you already have a WiiU, there's little use in purchasing another one for yourself... and you'd also ignore the 61 who couldn't get one if they wanted to, given that they have other things that matter first.

So out of 367 possible changes in opinion, about a quarter of those who voted said that their minds have been changed for the WiiU, and about an eighth of those who voted are still pretty determined to get a WiiU. Any set of numbers could be improved, but that's a rather solid boost in the former, and decent results for the later, I might say.

I think I noticed since the last time I checked that a few more people actively got turned off since then. I honestly can't think of the last time I saw games come out that made me specifically not want to buy the system, but then again I don't the reasons for those who voted in the thread without looking and tying each vote to each user.

Meanwhile, just a little under half still don't want one, and a little over an eighth don't particularly care... interesting. I wonder what Nintendo would need to do to try to win over the apathetic members of its potential customer base, and to get those who turned away to reconsider them. I suppose time will only tell; maybe I should make this thread again come next year, with the results from the previous one to be compared to the new one after a similar month's gap.

All in all, this certainly was an interesting E3, huh?

Zendariel

May 15, 2012
Ipsen said:
Zendariel said:

-Professor layton series
-Puzzle quest
-Elite beat agents

True, I wouldn't say that touch functionality is as much an immature, flimsy selling point anymore (how long was DS out before smartphone gaming took off?), or at least as much as the 3D functionality on 3DS. It amounts to more tactile to tap, hold, and swipe movement, and while simple, already proven itself an effective control method.

I'm actually quite torn if use of the touch screen on DS or Wii U fits snugly with traditional game design and their typical control schemes. In any case, it always feels like a change of pace or splitting of attention when I have to use it. That can be good or bad. Wildly so. So I can understand the complaints, yet I do feel I happen to be one of the people it usually works out for.
Nintendo Ds was released about 2 years before iphone(DS 2004/2005, iPhone 2007) that started the trend of touchscreen mobile phones, I can't really say how long did it take for actual games to take off on it(Angry birds was released 2009) and DS did have quite a lot of support for touchscreen gaming even during those 2 years. If by immature you mean it had not been done at least in any greater capacity then yeah. It was very new approach to gaming controls. And the point I was making was that it allowed alternative(not quite that traditional on consoles at the time) game design and controls. More like the puzzle or adventure games you would traditionally play with mouse and such. I agree that using both the traditional and the touchscreen controls at the same time or changing between them can be distracting.