Poll: What do you use: Console or PC?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
KingsGambit said:
Doom972 said:
Is it common for console gamers to use gaming forums? I thought it was more of a PC-gaming thing.
Good point. I forgot those console gamers don't have keyboards to type with. Or fingers, only thumbs for waggling thumbsticks.

Anyway, The Escapist is not a small gaming community. There are many others but 3.5x the number of PC gamers than console gamers just cannot be accurate of either this community or gamers as a whole. If there were truly so many of us, why aren't there more threads on gaming hardware, renderers, mods, trainers, wishing for better UIs, lamenting how games development is 4 years stunted and other things that affect us?

This is the tragic truth [http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/] of gaming. This game more than any other is optimal on PC. Yet it was developed for consoles, ported to PC and only 14% of us bought it on that platform. We don't even get more than 8 hotkeys as standard, that's how lazy they were in porting it to PC that they couldn't be arsed to unlock the use of 9 and 0.

That game sold only 14% of total sales on PC, that is why I cannot for a second believe that we outnumber consolers 3.5 to 1 when they out-buy us (unarguably at greater cost for inferior product) by 6 to 1.

This poll is a lie or the people who voted PC are liars, not really gamers or software pirates. Or the 1500 missing console gamers are batting away furiously with their stumps-for-hands, unable to click a mouse button, nor have their mewling cries understood as they asked someone to vote for them. Or possibly held hostage by the OP in an effort to fool the industry into returning to making games for the eminent platform.
I didn't say that they can't use forums, just that I think that it's more of a PC-gamers' habit.

About sales figures: These never include Steam, so I consider them irrelevant.

Apr 5, 2008
Doom972 said:
Those stats are provided by Bethesda, Zenimax and Steam. In the case of Skyrim, it uses Steamworks for activation, copy protection, patching, DLC, Steam Workshop, etc. Every single PC copy of Skyrim bar none, bought and installed by PC gamers is registered on Steam.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
KingsGambit said:
Doom972 said:
Those stats are provided by Bethesda, Zenimax and Steam. In the case of Skyrim, it uses Steamworks for activation, copy protection, patching, DLC, Steam Workshop, etc. Every single PC copy of Skyrim bar none, bought and installed by PC gamers is registered on Steam.
While Skyrim is a Steamworks title, only the physical copies are taken into account in sales figures. Valve doesn't release Steam's sales figures, as part of their policy.

Valis7

Oct 17, 2012
I used to swear by SNES, PS1, N64, Dreamcast, & PS2 but ever since I built my gaming rig - I haven't looked back.

Unless I really want to play a console exclusive like Red Dead Redemption (damn you rockstar), then I'll dust off the PS3.

cornmancer

Dec 7, 2009
I own a PC, PS3, and some older consoles, and they all get roughly equal amounts of play time. If I owned a better PC, I'd probably be a PC gamer first and foremost, but keep the consoles around for exclusives and bad ports, but my laptop isn't always up to par right now, so it's an even split.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Combination of both. I use my PC for most of my shooting and all my strategy but all my adventuring and platforming is done on a console.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
At the moment, I use my computer to play games since my consoles are at home and I don't have a TV to play them on in my current location.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
As of 2 days ago I have all the systems in that list (except a Mac obviously), and the PC is still my primary system, with PS3 as a close 2nd

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
KingsGambit said:
This poll is a lie or the people who voted PC are liars, not really gamers or software pirates.
As another member mentioned earlier, this website, regardless of what you apparently want to believe, doesn't represent the gaming community in its entirety. This place might have a PC bias, while another forum might have an X-Box 360 bias, etc.

Claiming that people not talking hardware is evidence is kinda BS. For one, I see topics and posts asking for advice on how to build gaming PCs or where to get parts cheapest from time to time. And beyond that, this isn't the 90's anymore. Many PC gamers out there (I wouldn't be surprised if it was the majority of them, to be honest) aren't even particularly familiar with hardware. Thanks to games being developed for aging consoles and the requirements not varying quite as much as they used to, you can pick up any pre-built PC from a Best Buy without even looking at its specs and be reasonably confident that it can run every game that came out from the launch of X-Box 360/PS3 up to today.

EDIT: Hell, the first topic in Gaming Discussion after I posted this was Chairman Miaow's "What Laptop to buy" asking for advice on gaming laptops.

Calling people who voted PC either liars, not gamers, or pirates is ludicrously immature. I voted PC. I've been a PC gamer first and foremost since the mid 90's. The majority of my favorite games are PC-exclusive (System Shock 2, Fallout 2) or games that were developed for the PC then got ported to console later (like Deus Ex and its godawful PS2 port). I've paid for every single game I own (excluding ones that I got as birthday/Christmas presents over the years, which were all legitimately bought as well as far as I'm aware), and actively hate the pirating community's guts. So yeah... your blanket statement that includes me just because you "feel" like you're somehow all-knowing of this one particular community? Complete and utter garbage to me.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Xbox 360 since it was a present from many moons ago and only constant love and care has kept it whirring away until this very day.

I can't yet afford a good enough PC or, indeed, a 360 that doesn't sound like a tornado.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
I use my PC and my PS3 nearly the same amount, so I put potato because there isn't an option for both.

The only reason I use consoles is exclusives and split screen. If someone would make PC games split screen, I would never buy another console ever again. But for some reason, no one has yet :(

osric90

Sep 14, 2009
I use an Xbox 360. I have owned a PS3 but didn't like it, and I cannot afford to keep upgrading my PC/Laptop to run the newest games.

The Comfy Chair

Nov 5, 2012
osric90 said:
I use an Xbox 360. I have owned a PS3 but didn't like it, and I cannot afford to keep upgrading my PC/Laptop to run the newest games.
You don't have to upgrade a PC all the time to 'play' the newest games better than a console does o_O My old laptop (the one i bought 5 years ago for £500) would still play games at above console level easily. That's a laptop! They're much more expensive for gaming.

You also don't need to max a game at 60fps to play it.

I say this because a hd5870, bought in 2009, will 'play' games at 1920x1080, minimum 30fps, at at least medium settings up until 2015 easily. That's £200 or so of GPU (at the time of purchase) for 6 years of good quality gaming. Note that it currently also maxes most games (including so-close-it-may-as-well-be max in hungry games like battlefield 3) as of now, 3 years after release. The only reason i got a gtx670 is because i'm a tech geek, someone in my family is now using the hd5870 and is very happy with it.

We need to dispel the idea of maxing is the only way to play. We also need to encourage people to aim for the peak of price/performance and not keep buying £60 cards every year when a £200 card will last 5-6 years at good settings :D

P.S. Note that if the rumors are correct about the 720/PS4, a HD5870 will play console games until 2022. Seriously. It's depressing as hell (for console players at least).

The Comfy Chair

Nov 5, 2012
Mimsofthedawg said:
osric90 said:
As long as you have fun, that's all that matters.

What didn't you like about the PS3 out of curiosity?

Outside of Halo, I hate the 360. I don't like their online system, I don't like their GUI, I don't like any of their exclusives, and I think it's overpriced for what you get.

And I'm really angry that they get all the DLC first... lol. O:)
Yeah, but thankfully it's rarely the DLC that matters.

CoD? Not on my PC, activision.
Skyrim? mods ahoy!

Admittedly PS3 users get the raw deal (skyrim was also just a complete bust on ps3 with all the issues), but at least they get BF3 maps a week early i guess? It's something :(

The Comfy Chair

Nov 5, 2012
KingsGambit said:
Doom972 said:
Exactly, hence why we know concurrency rates, and how 14% is physically impossible due to concurrency rates. Tell me how 280k players can be playing skyrim on PC at once in the first week most of the time when Skyrim only sold around 7m copies in that week. What you're saying is that at any point during the first week, one in three people who owned skyrim on PC were playing it. At any point in the day. That's an insane number of people considering timezones ect.

If we (roughly) scale it with, say, xbox sales of CoD and that concurrency rate (CoD on 360 will have higher playercount/sale ratios due to more 12-18 year olds so it's a good low estimate, as Skyrim will have a lower concurrency rate than CoD 360 so the 'multiplier' will be higher), Skyrim will have sold around 3-4m copies on PC making it around 30-40% of sales. Which puts it in line with most revenue reports for PC gaming. It's really strange that considering it's what we see in financial reports. Very strange indeed.

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
PC gamers need to swallow cyanide pills and die. (He said with sarcasm dripping from his voice)

I'm incredibly poor, and my computer crashes when I open more than one Word document, so I have to play exclusively on my Xbox. PC has a lot of amazingly thought-provoking and well designed games, but I can't experience them since my computer is so fucking poorly put together. I do dislike hardcore PC gamers though, since as a teenager who's family members are very literal Nazis from Germany proper, the whole "PC gaming master race" thing isn't funny anymore to me. Especially since so few people say it with actual irony.

The Comfy Chair

Nov 5, 2012
AsurasEyes said:
PC gamers need to swallow cyanide pills and die. (He said with sarcasm dripping from his voice)

I'm incredibly poor, and my computer crashes when I open more than one Word document, so I have to play exclusively on my Xbox. PC has a lot of amazingly thought-provoking and well designed games, but I can't experience them since my computer is so fucking poorly put together. I do dislike hardcore PC gamers though, since as a teenager who's family members are very literal Nazis from Germany proper, the whole "PC gaming master race" thing isn't funny anymore to me. Especially since so few people say it with actual irony.
I like it how the 'PC gaming master race' sayers are usually also extremely 'elitist' towards the Wii. Such hypocrisy makes me wander how those people managed to find such effective irony blinkers. I need them!

It sucks though having a terrible PC, i was in your situation until i left home for university so i didn't have anything other than a PS2 (note that this was also in 2008). It gets better when you start earning your own money as long as you put in the effort at school.

Hang in there!

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
I use a PS3 and a gaming PC. Lately I have been playing my PC more though, due to the slow game releases.