Poll: What do you use: Console or PC?

The Comfy Chair

Nov 5, 2012
TheKasp said:
The Comfy Chair said:
We need to dispel the idea of maxing is the only way to play. We also need to encourage people to aim for the peak of price/performance and not keep buying £60 cards every year when a £200 card will last 5-6 years at good settings :D
Eh, my 90? card is now lasting the fourth year and just now I get the feeling of urgency to upgrade. I can't run NS2 and Witcher 2 with 60 FPS and SS3 could also look a little better.
That's pretty good going for a 4 year old 90 euro card (what is it? a 9800GTX/GTS250) :D What resolution are you running at?

but yeah, resolution is important, for medium+ settings a £200 card will last about 5-6 years at 1920x1080, usually cards below £150 or so last around 3-4 years.

It's kind of a concertina effect as cards get older. They'll drop from max quickly, but it'll take a while to go from high to medium and years to go from medium to low, and even longer to not be playable.

Ringo_Plumen

Jul 11, 2012
PC for me as I own no consoles, steam is best buddy, however I own an Xbox 360 controller I use for some games (most, if not all platformers, games like GTA and probably others) keyboard/mouse isn't always best.

With that said I have recently thought about acquiring a used PS3 as cheaply as possible, since there are several console games I'd like to try that never made it, and never will make it to PC, and with a choice between the Xbox 360 and PS3 I have to go with the latter. With Crash Bandicoot, older Final Fantasy titles and other nostalgic games available on PSN and the only real Xbox 360 exclusives I know of being the Halo series and Gears of War series, PS3 definitely takes the win for me...

Shooters are NOT better with a controller, and if I can't play them on my PC with my mouse and keyboard, I'd rather not play them at all.

But just my opinion of course.

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
The Comfy Chair said:
AsurasEyes said:
PC gamers need to swallow cyanide pills and die. (He said with sarcasm dripping from his voice)

I'm incredibly poor, and my computer crashes when I open more than one Word document, so I have to play exclusively on my Xbox. PC has a lot of amazingly thought-provoking and well designed games, but I can't experience them since my computer is so fucking poorly put together. I do dislike hardcore PC gamers though, since as a teenager who's family members are very literal Nazis from Germany proper, the whole "PC gaming master race" thing isn't funny anymore to me. Especially since so few people say it with actual irony.
I like it how the 'PC gaming master race' sayers are usually also extremely 'elitist' towards the Wii. Such hypocrisy makes me wander how those people managed to find such effective irony blinkers. I need them!

It sucks though having a terrible PC, i was in your situation until i left home for university so i didn't have anything other than a PS2 (note that this was also in 2008). It gets better when you start earning your own money as long as you put in the effort at school.

Hang in there!
I earn my own money. I work with Mexican day-laborers after school for a few hours and work at a used game store on weekends. Problem is a good gaming PC costs a few thousand dollars and I need to spend all my money going back to my home city of Chicago for Christmas and buying all my friends presents.

And on your situation, your were far better off than I am my friend. You had the PS2, which didn't have a bunch of games that have less than half of the time in development spent on single-player content. I can't afford XBL, so I'm stuck playing a parade of incredibly weak story campaigns while you had Battlefront, War of the Monsters, the Godzilla brawlers, Red Faction, Silent Hill 2, and all manner of ludicrously good single player games since they didn't feel the need to skimp on the single player content in order to appease the multiplayer masses. I like multiplayer a lot, but right now I'm a bit angry with game developers.

The Comfy Chair

Nov 5, 2012
AsurasEyes said:
The Comfy Chair said:
AsurasEyes said:
PC gamers need to swallow cyanide pills and die. (He said with sarcasm dripping from his voice)

I'm incredibly poor, and my computer crashes when I open more than one Word document, so I have to play exclusively on my Xbox. PC has a lot of amazingly thought-provoking and well designed games, but I can't experience them since my computer is so fucking poorly put together. I do dislike hardcore PC gamers though, since as a teenager who's family members are very literal Nazis from Germany proper, the whole "PC gaming master race" thing isn't funny anymore to me. Especially since so few people say it with actual irony.
I like it how the 'PC gaming master race' sayers are usually also extremely 'elitist' towards the Wii. Such hypocrisy makes me wander how those people managed to find such effective irony blinkers. I need them!

It sucks though having a terrible PC, i was in your situation until i left home for university so i didn't have anything other than a PS2 (note that this was also in 2008). It gets better when you start earning your own money as long as you put in the effort at school.

Hang in there!
I earn my own money. I work with Mexican day-laborers after school for a few hours and work at a used game store on weekends. Problem is a good gaming PC costs a few thousand dollars and I need to spend all my money going back to my home city of Chicago for Christmas and buying all my friends presents.

And on your situation, your were far better off than I am my friend. You had the PS2, which didn't have a bunch of games that have less than half of the time in development spent on single-player content. I can't afford XBL, so I'm stuck playing a parade of incredibly weak story campaigns while you had Battlefront, War of the Monsters, the Godzilla brawlers, Red Faction, Silent Hill 2, and all manner of ludicrously good single player games since they didn't feel the need to skimp on the single player content in order to appease the multiplayer masses. I like multiplayer a lot, but right now I'm a bit angry with game developers.
You could always get a PS2 i guess if there's a gamestop close by that still sells second hand. Sure, the graphics aren't great (but neither are current consoles anyway now really) but there was a lot more imagination. The AAA devs then were like indie devs are now :D

But it sucks to hear that, but you sound like a great person for putting friends first at Christmas and things like that :)

I would say that a good gaming PC isn't a few thousand dollars though. They're not cheap, by any means, but a 'very good' gaming PC (i5-3570K + hd7870 esque) is around $800 built. One that will be good for gaming can be anything between $500 and $700 as well. Hardly pocket change but definitely more affordable than you probably were thinking :)

TheKasp said:
The Comfy Chair said:
That's pretty good going for a 4 year old 90 euro card (what is it? a 9800GTX/GTS250) :D What resolution are you running at?
GTS250, I am running everything on 1920x1080. I have always to tweak a little because my rig does not like certain shaders and/or settings but I've always gotten at least medium-esque settings with high quality textures out of it (my pet peeve, I really need the best quality textures there can be for a game), 60 FPS unless locked. Could've run Witcher 2 on low and 60 FPS but though that 'soon' I'll get the stuff to break my jumping point towards a new graphics card. Though wrong, that soon took over one year.

The rest of my rig are quite meaty, I had to choose a decent CPU (i5 quad 2.4ghz, overclocked to 2.8) and RAM (8gb) for other stuff so the lefties of my upgrade budget went into the graphics card, I just read some stuff up and decided for the best in that range.
Yeah, the GTS250 has aged pretty well. It's only just started to fall behind many £100 cards in the last two generations! Also, it sounds like you built your machine pretty well dropping in a hd8780 or something when they hit will be a great investment in your gaming :D

Akexi

May 15, 2008
I have to say pc even though I dust off my consoles time to time for an exclusive (not halo 4).

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
um
I use both fairly equally?
PC is for MMOs, League of Legends, Bethesda RPGs, and Dragon Age Origins
Console is for everything else (but I spend most of my time playing league nowadays)

Apr 5, 2008
The Comfy Chair said:
Exactly, hence why we know concurrency rates, and how 14% is physically impossible due to concurrency rates. Tell me how 280k players can be playing skyrim on PC at once in the first week most of the time when Skyrim only sold around 7m copies in that week. What you're saying is that at any point during the first week, one in three people who owned skyrim on PC were playing it. At any point in the day. That's an insane number of people considering timezones ect.

If we (roughly) scale it with, say, xbox sales of CoD and that concurrency rate (CoD on 360 will have higher playercount/sale ratios due to more 12-18 year olds so it's a good low estimate, as Skyrim will have a lower concurrency rate than CoD 360 so the 'multiplier' will be higher), Skyrim will have sold around 3-4m copies on PC making it around 30-40% of sales. Which puts it in line with most revenue reports for PC gaming. It's really strange that considering it's what we see in financial reports. Very strange indeed.
I don't understand what this is about. The 280k concurrent users [http://www.vg247.com/2011/12/16/skyrim-ships-10-million-units-worldwide-sets-steam-record/] is from Steam's stats and happened on launch day. Bethesda have verified that as of 31/7/2012 they've sold 10 million copies of Skyrim. 59% of those sold units were 360 versions, 27% were PS3 versions and 14% were PC versions. It doesn't get much clearer than that. This poll suggests PC gamers outnumber console players by almost 4 to 1 yet they buy 6x more games than we do. This poll is not representative of gamers or gaming, and I've never seen any evidence that there's a PC playing majority on this forum either. Not even a majority, an overwhelming majority. I can't say that any clearer.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
KingsGambit said:
The Comfy Chair said:
Exactly, hence why we know concurrency rates, and how 14% is physically impossible due to concurrency rates. Tell me how 280k players can be playing skyrim on PC at once in the first week most of the time when Skyrim only sold around 7m copies in that week. What you're saying is that at any point during the first week, one in three people who owned skyrim on PC were playing it. At any point in the day. That's an insane number of people considering timezones ect.

If we (roughly) scale it with, say, xbox sales of CoD and that concurrency rate (CoD on 360 will have higher playercount/sale ratios due to more 12-18 year olds so it's a good low estimate, as Skyrim will have a lower concurrency rate than CoD 360 so the 'multiplier' will be higher), Skyrim will have sold around 3-4m copies on PC making it around 30-40% of sales. Which puts it in line with most revenue reports for PC gaming. It's really strange that considering it's what we see in financial reports. Very strange indeed.
I don't understand what this is about. The 280k concurrent users [http://www.vg247.com/2011/12/16/skyrim-ships-10-million-units-worldwide-sets-steam-record/] is from Steam's stats and happened on launch day. Bethesda have verified that as of 31/7/2012 they've sold 10 million copies of Skyrim. 59% of those sold units were 360 versions, 27% were PS3 versions and 14% were PC versions. It doesn't get much clearer than that. This poll suggests PC gamers outnumber console players by almost 4 to 1 yet they buy 6x more games than we do. This poll is not representative of gamers or gaming, and I've never seen any evidence that there's a PC playing majority on this forum either. Not even a majority, an overwhelming majority. I can't say that any clearer.
Where is the quote from Bethesda which says 14%? that's just a retail statistic. It was 'verified' because yes, it is correct, for retail. PC gaming has been primarily (i.e. majority of games sold) digital for years now.

Also, that 280k concurrency lasted for near enough a month (at worst it was usually around 200k). If it was a momentary blip i wouldn't take much stock in it would I? I did also mention a time frame in the previous post, implying that number was maintained. The concurrency rates blew portal 2 out of the water, by the way, and portal 2 sold around than 1.5m on PC in that time period afaik (oh, and before you go to vgchartz and say 'but it sold nothing!', it was confirmed by Valve to have sold more than the console versions - proving just how bad retail is for gauging PC sales). So apple to apple comparisons, and common sense application of the numbers. You can't beat that by quoting retail stats that are known to be flawed by everyone.

The issue with PC gaming is that these stats aren't shouted out everywhere, so investors and people who simply don't do much else than listen to random retail stats think PC is much smaller than it is. It's very depressing considering i can find all the info i need to make it very obvious to anyone (who doesn't have a underlying motive to be determined that the stats 'must be wrong' for whatever reason), and i don't get paid stupid money for doing so. Maybe i should become an analyst rather than a programmer :p

Also, there's a PC majority on near enough every game forum that's multi platform that i've ever been on. PC gamers use forums more. It's a really simple trend that has been shown many times across many polls. I don't know why you find it a big deal! It's well known that console gaming has a LOT more players who play 'AAA' games but aren't THAT into the gaming scene beyond buying the game, putting it in their console and playing. PC gamers, by the very fact they put the effort into building/researching/buying a PC have a tendancy to be more into the gaming scene as a whole. It takes more effort to have a PC, so you put more effort into your hobby on average.

That doesn't exclude console players from doing so, but people heavily invested into gaming, enough to post on sites like the escapist, tend to also heavily invest monetarily into their hobby to get the best experience where possible (which is usually a good gaming PC and the consoles with exclusives that interest the gamer). It's the same as any hobby.

That's why on every forum (except specific console ones) there'll be more PC Gamers, because the PC community is a more active one online. That has nothing to do with sales. The reason you also don't see a ton of PC specific threads is because we're gamers first and foremost here, we're about the games. Platform isn't a massive issue when you own a PC and console anyway, so most PC gamers are pretty cool with the whole platform war thing, since a good number of PC gamers have every platform they care about anyway.

I hope that has made things clearer for you. The forum activity is not linked the sales, and the sales themselves are more than retail statistics would lead you to believe ever since digital took off around half a decade ago. Add those two major factors together and things don't seem so strange. The reason why it seems 'wrong' is exactly that! it IS wrong :) If the PC sales were correct then it would have made more sense in the first place to you.

P.S. By the way, yes, that 'TheComfyChair' account needs to be deleted, i managed to finally get this one back after finding out the info for it :D

Another

Mar 19, 2008
Since there is no split option for 360/pc I chose pc, since it's more of what I've been using lately. But honestly, what I'm playing on depends on the game. I plan to play most fighters on 360, and I prefer my shooters on pc. The genre and style of control will effect which one I choose, as well as where I can actually get it of course, since not everything hits the pc.

Edit: Also depends on which system it's optimized for. If it's a crap pc port with no mods to fix that in its future, than it's going to the 360.

govan640

Oct 29, 2012
I've played almost all consoles that have came out in my lifetime, I have preferred to use PC over console gaming though, mainly because of modding opportunities, I go back to conole from time to time for releases that won't be out on PC.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Dude I am form Idaho. We use potato's for everything. Yes event that one thing you where going to ask about.

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
I mostly play on PS3 but I kinda want to migrate to PC now because of all the half-assed quality control. The first reason I got a console was that I wouldn't have to worry about making sure I have the specs. But publishers these days just seems to ignore if the game is up to the consoles specs standards.

I still love my PS3, though, and use it for watching movies a lot or hoarding images on the HD because I like looking at art with a big screen.